SWTOR Veteran, Highly Disappointed by KOFTE

Ottoattack

I consider myself a SWTOR veteran. I have been a sub since version 1.3 and remained a sub in 2012 and 2013, unsubbed half of 2014 and subbed for only 2 month in 3.0 era and subbed again for 4.0, and I will cancel my sub again at the end of this month, because KOFTE for me is very disappointing.

Story:

Not long before 4.0 release, I played Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3. After seeing the KOFTE cinematic my hopes were up that BW Austin may have learned something or from Dragon Age Inquisition and other successful BW franchises that focus on story and characters. I am not a big fan usually of companions, but I think DAI did have a really interesting and well developed cast. Same goes to Mass Effect. While SoR definitely set the bar too low, considering that the expansion only expands the story, I was expecting lengthy and well developed story with strong replay-ability elements.

I would give the story that it is well developed but it is not good, it is extremely short, the game play sequences were an absolute chore (just swiping away at an HP pool) and has no replay-ability. If I grade SWTOR based on story alone, I would say it is worth the $15 I spent for one month sub, but not one cent more.

PvP:

LOL, 0/10. Forget content, BW did not even bother to fix class balance issues, which are pretty jarring right now.

PvE:

To be more specific end game PvE. I am a strong supporter of making old content relevant, so I am definitely happy with these changes, but I already beaten this content to death when it was relevant. I may like to run TFB or EV when I am feeling bored and a bit nostalgic, but no way in hell I will run this content again on weekly basis. Again, 0/10, not content.

Dailies/Planetary/companions (basically any and all content that is not PvP or require group in PvE):

Dailies have always been a chore for someone who is experienced. Add now the drop in difficulty level, which makes no sense since this content was not remotely challenging, it is for someone who is a veteran, unplayable. Playing Angry Birds on my cell phone is much more fun..

For Planetary content, we only have on planet (Zaakual, since the other planet is only a hub), not really much. I would never electively go their. Level sync does not make old stuff relevant. There is no risk or reward. I was hoping for some exploration, like DAI, too much to ask for..

The entire alliance system is just a chore. Companions for the most part in SWTOR are not useful. Max they can do is help you solo content you are not supposed to solo anyway. I was hoping for something like DAI, where you build a power structure. Too complicated for BW Austin I guess?

Bottom line here, there is no risk or reward, just a grind for.. credits and things I previously had? No thanks..

Graphics:

I think SWTOR graphics have came a long way. On top graphics and a current day video card it looks sharp, but facial structure is still a long way from being anywhere close to current generation. Overall, probably the best looking MMO.

Customer service/interaction with devs:

This is always an important aspect in an game with monthly subscription and on going development. My experience with other games is that the developers usually have open dialogue with the players, list all changes and why are they made. SWTOR used to be decent in here, I definitely think that open PTR dialogues in the end of 2.0 era were terrific and resulted in the best class balance and game changes the game has seen. Then we go to the 3.0 era, were BW basically gave the player base the middle finger.

I was not a sub during the period when Eric, based on the action of some nut bag individual, generalized this action as the entire interaction with the player base and said that BW will stop sharing info. Seriously?

Going to 4.0, which seems to be the trend going forward, is ninja changes, no disclosure and absolutely no explanations, and when things go south, some BW representative will come and blame the player base for being too aggressive or demanding. I would expect better customer service for something I paid $15 one time for, not $15 a month...

overall, considering the quality and quantity of content, then factoring in customer service and overall game development, as a game veteran there nothing for me here. Again, KOFTE is okay for $15 not a cent more.

Going to 4.0, which seems to be the trend going forward, is ninja changes, no disclosure and absolutely no explanations, and when things go south, some BW representative will come and blame the player base for being too aggressive or demanding. I would expect better customer service for something I paid $15 one time for, not $15 a month...

Somebody clearly doesn't read dev blogs. They explained and disclosed nearly everything that was coming, the only disappointment there happened to be was from assumptions made by the player base i.e. killing any companion you damn well choose to kill. There weren't many "ninja changes" if any at all were made. The only thing that comes to mind was the removal of equipment vendors for planets on fleet (which is infuriating) but it is quite possible in my hype for the expansion I overlooked it.

I consider myself a SWTOR veteran. I have been a sub since version 1.3 and remained a sub in 2012 and 2013, unsubbed half of 2014 and subbed for only 2 month in 3.0 era and subbed again for 4.0, and I will cancel my sub again at the end of this month, because KOFTE for me is very disappointing.

Story:

Not long before 4.0 release, I played Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3. After seeing the KOFTE cinematic my hopes were up that BW Austin may have learned something or from Dragon Age Inquisition and other successful BW franchises that focus on story and characters. I am not a big fan usually of companions, but I think DAI did have a really interesting and well developed cast. Same goes to Mass Effect. While SoR definitely set the bar too low, considering that the expansion only expands the story, I was expecting lengthy and well developed story with strong replay-ability elements.

I would give the story that it is well developed but it is not good, it is extremely short, the game play sequences were an absolute chore (just swiping away at an HP pool) and has no replay-ability. If I grade SWTOR based on story alone, I would say it is worth the $15 I spent for one month sub, but not one cent more.

PvP:

LOL, 0/10. Forget content, BW did not even bother to fix class balance issues, which are pretty jarring right now.

PvE:

To be more specific end game PvE. I am a strong supporter of making old content relevant, so I am definitely happy with these changes, but I already beaten this content to death when it was relevant. I may like to run TFB or EV when I am feeling bored and a bit nostalgic, but no way in hell I will run this content again on weekly basis. Again, 0/10, not content.

Dailies/Planetary/companions (basically any and all content that is not PvP or require group in PvE):

Dailies have always been a chore for someone who is experienced. Add now the drop in difficulty level, which makes no sense since this content was not remotely challenging, it is for someone who is a veteran, unplayable. Playing Angry Birds on my cell phone is much more fun..

For Planetary content, we only have on planet (Zaakual, since the other planet is only a hub), not really much. I would never electively go their. Level sync does not make old stuff relevant. There is no risk or reward. I was hoping for some exploration, like DAI, too much to ask for..

The entire alliance system is just a chore. Companions for the most part in SWTOR are not useful. Max they can do is help you solo content you are not supposed to solo anyway. I was hoping for something like DAI, where you build a power structure. Too complicated for BW Austin I guess?

Bottom line here, there is no risk or reward, just a grind for.. credits and things I previously had? No thanks..

Graphics:

I think SWTOR graphics have came a long way. On top graphics and a current day video card it looks sharp, but facial structure is still a long way from being anywhere close to current generation. Overall, probably the best looking MMO.

This is always an important aspect in an game with monthly subscription and on going development. My experience with other games is that the developers usually have open dialogue with the players, list all changes and why are they made. SWTOR used to be decent in here, I definitely think that open PTR dialogues in the end of 2.0 era were terrific and resulted in the best class balance and game changes the game has seen. Then we go to the 3.0 era, were BW basically gave the player base the middle finger.

I was not a sub during the period when Eric, based on the action of some nut bag individual, generalized this action as the entire interaction with the player base and said that BW will stop sharing info. Seriously?

overall, considering the quality and quantity of content, then factoring in customer service and overall game development, as a game veteran there nothing for me here. Again, KOFTE is okay for $15 not a cent more.

i agree 100% on all points, pretty great post

Lol. Don't bother. We are just a small minority of toxic whiners who are destroying the game by criticising it. Most of the people don't even care what we have to say - they are too busy praising the expansion. Just look above.

Ok, not all of them maybe. But those who can at least try to discuss this are even smaller minority.

Edited by Frenesi

Lol. Don't bother. We are just a small minority of toxic whiners who are destroying the game by criticising it. Most of the people don't even care what we have to say - they are too busy praising the expansion. Just look above

You aren't destroying the game any more than you guys claim KOTFE are. But you are the minority.

And no, I can't prove it. :rolleyes:

I would just like to say that in my personal opinion anyone who looks back at around 1.3 for "the good old days" is pretty delusional. We're finally at the point game-mechanic-wise where I wished SWTOR would have been around launch (I would have been even more blown away had it been like this in 2011).

Do you remember when it took you to level 15 to get sprint? Do you remember when there wasn't adaptive armor or the appearance designer? Do you remember when there was no groupfinder or modifiable endgame gear? Do you remember when you got speeder piloting rank 3 at level 50 and it was so expensive you couldn't afford it? I could go on and on and on. My point is, regardless of how you feel about the KOTFE story, the continuing mechanic and additions to SWTOR that come alone with it are what keeps this game great.

I would just like to say that in my personal opinion anyone who looks back at around 1.3 for "the good old days" is pretty delusional. We're finally at the point game-mechanic-wise where I wished SWTOR would have been around launch (I would have been even more blown away had it been like this in 2011).

Do you remember when it took you to level 15 to get sprint? Do you remember when there wasn't adaptive armor or the appearance designer? Do you remember when there was no groupfinder or modifiable endgame gear? Do you remember when you got speeder piloting rank 3 at level 50 and it was so expensive you couldn't afford it? I could go on and on and on. My point is, regardless of how you feel about the KOTFE story, the continuing mechanic and additions to SWTOR that come alone with it are what keeps this game great.

all these benefits you're identifying don't apply to me.

where is the endgame content

Non of your points was introduced with 4.0. Most of them came a long time ago.

You aren't destroying the game any more than you guys claim KOTFE are. But you are the minority.

And no, I can't prove it. :rolleyes:

Then why bother saying it? You said above that you were done, should have stuck to your guns. But then that wouldn't make ya feel special.

Edited by Jumajin

Then why bother saying it? You said above that you were done, should have stuck to your guns. But then that wouldn't make ya feel special.

Not arguing with the OP, but I'll gladly argue with you guys.

Plus Eillack's entire job is to follow me around and be contrary.

Can't please everyone. Sorry that you feel disappointed, OP.

I'm having fun with the expansion though. :o

I am as well, I think the storyline, graphics etc... of the KOTFE are awesome. I just wish the base game would have gotten more testing, because it is clear with all the bugs and balance issues with the new Tactical Flashpoints that it was not tested very well.

Oh and I have been playing SWTOR since Beta, and never UN-subbed.

Edited by DakotaDoc

Story:

Yes the story is light at the moment. At the moment replay ability sucks. To be fair, we don't know how replay will work out in the end. There are convos at the moment that have had events tied to reaction that have not had any bearing in the game yet.

PvP:

PvP has always been FOTM... Shoot almost any game is FOTM. Yes lack of content sucks, but none was promised. Neither were any class balances promised...

PvE:

Again, no end game PvE was promised. This was always billed as a SOLO STORY... Why people expect things then they said flat out no baffles me to no end...

Yes dailies are a chore, they always have been... But I really think the point here was to make it easier so people played alts thru. The changes make it easier to do so.

Again, we don't know what the plans are for the 2 new planets we have. At some point I assume that the Eternal Empire will find our base. We are already being a thorn taking out star fortresses, it makes sense with their superior sensor technology they will find us. We also don't know what plans they have for Zak either. There are parts on the map that are blocked off right now that the map tends to show we will be going to later.

Yes the Alliance grind suck. But again we don't know what part it will play in the end. Also, H2 content is meant to be soloed with these changes. Just because you think it is not supposed to be does not mean it was not redesigned that way. They added achievements for soloing the H2 Star Fortress. Seems like they did intend those to be solo.... And go ahead and take your companion into a tactical 65 flashpoint and see how well you solo it. So far no one is claiming and proving doing it, so I don't see where people are soloing group content.

Graphics:

Another crying rant about "ZOMG UPDATE ENGINE NOOBS!".. It's not ever EVER EVER going to happen. They have said as much. The engine is what, like 6 years old. I know they licensed an alpha version. So it could be even older. And since it is heavily modified, it cannot be updated off the hero code... The game is what it is and will be at this point unless someone at BW learns to upgrade it.

Two letters E A.....

Look poor customer service is one of the things EA is known for. Sad but true. If anyone seriously expected otherwise is just fooling themselves or has some really good stuff they need to be sharing...

Look I'm not defending anything they have done so far per se, but we are still 6 chapters out on having the entire expansion. It's still unfinished. But this is the model F2P games are going to, pay to play unfinished expansions. Subs are financing the ability for F2P players to play it later at the ability to play it now and work out problems. I don't specifically like the model, but other companies are using it as well....

Edited by Psychopyro

I am as well, I think the storyline, graphics etc... of the KOTFE are awesome. I just wish the base game would have gotten more testing, because it is clear with all the bugs and balance issues with the new Tactical Flashpoints that it was not tested very well.

Oh and I have been playing SWTOR since Beta, and never UN-subbed.

unfortunately this stuff is inevitable if you refuse to do open beta testing, and since 2.0 BW has had an issue with people testing their expansion content, even the bits that aren't story related. its a real shame but unfortunately when people ask about this they get called entitled by a certain group of geniuses on these forums.

Edited by runescapeisgood

Yes the story is light at the moment. At the moment replay ability sucks. To be fair, we don't know how replay will work out in the end. There are convos at the moment that have had events tied to reaction that have not had any bearing in the game yet.

PvP has always been FOTM... Shoot almost any game is FOTM. Yes lack of content sucks, but none was promised. Neither were any class balances promised...

Again, no end game PvE was promised. This was always billed as a SOLO STORY... Why people expect things then they said flat out no baffles me to no end...

Yes dailies are a chore, they always have been... But I really think the point here was to make it easier so people played alts thru. The changes make it easier to do so.

Again, we don't know what the plans are for the 2 new planets we have. At some point I assume that the Eternal Empire will find our base. We are already being a thorn taking out star fortresses, it makes sense with their superior sensor technology they will find us. We also don't know what plans they have for Zak either. There are parts on the map that are blocked off right now that the map tends to show we will be going to later.

Yes the Alliance grind suck. But again we don't know what part it will play in the end. Also, H2 content is meant to be soloed with these changes. Just because you think it is not supposed to be does not mean it was not redesigned that way. They added achievements for soloing the H2 Star Fortress. Seems like they did intend those to be solo.... And go ahead and take your companion into a tactical 65 flashpoint and see how well you solo it. So far no one is claiming and proving doing it, so I don't see where people are soloing group content.

Another crying rant about "ZOMG UPDATE ENGINE NOOBS!".. It's not ever EVER EVER going to happen. They have said as much. The engine is what, like 6 years old. I know they licensed an alpha version. So it could be even older. And since it is heavily modified, it cannot be updated off the hero code... The game is what it is and will be at this point unless someone at BW learns to upgrade it.

Two letters E A.....

Look poor customer service is one of the things EA is known for. Sad but true. If anyone seriously expected otherwise is just fooling themselves or has some really good stuff they need to be sharing...

Look I'm not defending anything they have done so far per se, but we are still 6 chapters out on having the entire expansion. It's still unfinished. But this is the model F2P games are going to, pay to play unfinished expansions. Subs are financing the ability for F2P players to play it later at the ability to play it now and work out problems. I don't specifically like the model, but other companies are using it as well....

I am Immortal Lowlife... And I approve this message. ;)

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

Story:

PvP:

PvE:

Graphics:

This along with Swissbob's great posts sums up everything that's wrong with TOR right now. BioWare forgot they tried the whole story thing at launch and it failed.