hk-51 cant tank!!

DarthMetalJoey

Bioware screwed up the abilities with HK when they updated to 4.0. All other tanking companions have 2-3 high threat/taunt abilities and one ability which gives them 50% damage reduction with 75% uptime (lasts 10 seconds, 15 second cooldown).

HK-51, on the other hand, doesnt have a single taunt ability and instead of the 50% damage reduction boost he gets a weak self heal when low on health.

Honestly, he went from one of the best companions in the game to one of the worst.

None of the companions can tank

Look at companion defense, absorb, and shield stats. They are 0. DPS/HEALER stance and the stats are the exact same as tank stance stats.

We can no longer solo HMFP like we used too. That personal challenge and achievement is gone. Though only a handful of us attempted and even fewer were able to successfully pull it off.

We can no longer solo HMFP like we used too. That personal challenge and achievement is gone. Though only a handful of us attempted and even fewer were able to successfully pull it off.

That can't be right...there have been countless threads from some very vocal people about how their companions are so OP they solo FP bosses while the player AFK's to watch Real Housewives.

You must be lying.

That can't be right...there have been countless threads from some very vocal people about how their companions are so OP they solo FP bosses while the player AFK's to watch Real Housewives.

You must be lying.

He's not, exactly, wrong. It's true in flashpoints and any non scaled 65 content they don't have those defenses.

But at lower levels they get some. Not a lot, but greater than 0. And that's not counting their actual abilities of course (the ones that aren't broken have a constant 50% reduced damage buff they can keep up).

• 5 weeks later...

HK-51 is broken. I was watching him in combat (in DPS mode) and had Parsec going on the other screen. A lot of his attacks do 0 damage. His basic attack included.

He does about 100 DPS at level 25 compared to a normal companion, which does 300+ DPS.

Look at companion defense, absorb, and shield stats. They are 0. DPS/HEALER stance and the stats are the exact same as tank stance stats.

It's only visual bug in UI because companions don't have shield offhand anymore.

I've been leveling healing sorcerer and I'm using Khem in tank mode. Do you know what my rotation is in heroics?

Bubble myself and Khem -> Force Storm -> 1 or 2 dots to enemy Khem is focusing on (strong = 1; elite = 2) -> Force Lightning -> Force Storm -> refresh dots if needed. Khem has dropped below 95% once. I've dropped below 70% multiple times. No deaths. Currently doing Balmorra.

My main heal has been Resurgence. I've only used Dark Infusion and Dark Heal few times mainly for giggles or to heal myself.

Edited by Halinalle

None of the companions can tank

Translation: "I only look at meaningless numbers on a pane, not the actual effect. So what if companions actually can tank, and while doing so take almost no damage except in extraordinary situations such as holding aggro against tons of mobs. Who cares? The PANE shows the number 0 next to Absorb, SO THEY CAN'T TANK! RAWRRW, I R WIZEST PLAYAR EVAR!!!"

In other words: You're wrong about your first sentence. Most companions tank just fine.

Me: Operative Healer, level 65, SCORPIO tanking. Operatives gear is averaging 216 now.

In level-synched content (planetary heroics) she tanks just fine. AOE threat is weak (that's not unique to her) but her mitigation/defenses are decent and I can pick between doing a little backstabby dps or just sitting back and casually healing her while she chews through mobs.

In level 65 heroic Star Fortress she is suddenly squishy as all heck. More than a couple of mobs and she's going down faster than the stock market in '08. Forget doing any DPS, I'm chain healing like a madman just to keep her alive most of the time.

Influence: 30 by the by. Also using the Alliance buffs and all four locked clickies.

Musco confirmed that companion tank mitigation was broken at 65 (not bolstered 65, regular 65) and a fix was coming in 4.0.3 (scheduled for this Tuesday the 7th). Hopefully that does get fixed along with a buff to their AOE threat generation. I like being able to not need to chain-heal my tank so I can add in a little DPS. Or at least if I was chain healing let their AOE threat be better so I'm not fending off healer-aggro.

Link: Here's where Musco talked about the companion tanking fix: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8622885#edit8622885

My other healer is late 30s as a sorcerer and has no issues with Khem tanking (beyond the threat generation issue I mentioned for SCORPIO as well). The bug is rather specific to natively level 65 companions - i.e. not affected by synch or bolster.

Edited by Katahn
Found link for 4.0.3 fix

Did anyone try to compare companions now? I remember right after 4.0 came to life people were parcing companions efficiency and found out that force-using companions are better healers, tech-companions are good DPS but lucking in healing and surviving, and no one can really tank. Plus, some companions were broken, like Qyzen could not really heal at all.

Any new observations?

I haven't done any parsing, but I did look through the stats and abilities. And checked some heal outputs with me as target.

As someone mentioned, HK's tanking abilities are odd, to say the least. Unlike all the others, he is very light on threat generation.

Someone said their shield/absorb was zero? Are you sure you had them on tanking role? When you do that, the stats change, and all the ones I checked had shield/absorb stats.

Qyzen healing appears to be fixed with 4.02.

Ability-wise, tanks are better tanks than Force since their AOE taunt has a 30m vs. 3m radius.

Choza and Veeroa are bugged in that they are Force users with Force Power, but their abilities are Tech, so gimped.

Force users HOT and channeled heal still have 4 ticks vs. Tech's 3, so still better healers (though T7's HOT gives 4 ticks as well).

Treek's abilities are unique.

Summary: they fixed a few things in 4.02, but there are still a lot of bugs and oddities. And while most comps have near-identical abilities and stats, there are plenty of differences that you'll have to examine to find.

Edited by DocDAM

I avoid using HK-51 after getting him to 25 and never getting a heal over 1k...this was right after 4.0 and before the great companion divide of 2015. I haven't really checked him since but am pretty disappointed with the bugs with companions.

On another, somewhat related note, I have Torian and Lana at 35 and Lana crits constantly on slicing missions and Torian rarely does. This could be RNG biting my BH in the rear, but after so many times I started to wonder if he was getting the crafting bonus he should have from influence level. I wish there was somewhere in game that told us what the crit/efficiency was per companion. I suppose we can check the time it takes to finish the mission and assume crit is working as intended...

Edited by BrittneyNB

I avoid using HK-51 after getting him to 25 and never getting a heal over 1k...this was right after 4.0 and before the great companion divide of 2015. I haven't really checked him since but am pretty disappointed with the bugs with companions.

On another, somewhat related note, I have Torian and Lana at 35 and Lana crits constantly on slicing missions and Torian rarely does. This could be RNG biting my BH in the rear, but after so many times I started to wonder if he was getting the crafting bonus he should have from influence level. I wish there was somewhere in game that told us what the crit/efficiency was per companion. I suppose we can check the time it takes to finish the mission and assume crit is working as intended...

Dulfy has a break down on influence for companions:

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fallen-empire-companion-influences-guide/

Hope that helps.

Dulfy has a break down on influence for companions:

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fallen-empire-companion-influences-guide/

Hope that helps.

I'm aware and have used that for leveling the companions. That has nothing to do with an in game confirmation that you are in fact getting what you should be as you level the companions. I usually wouldn't care, but seeing as I've experienced discrepancies in companions during combat, I worry that there are companion discrepancies for crafting as well.

I haven't done any parsing, but I did look through the stats and abilities. And checked some heal outputs with me as target.

As someone mentioned, HK's tanking abilities are odd, to say the least. Unlike all the others, he is very light on threat generation.

Someone said their shield/absorb was zero? Are you sure you had them on tanking role? When you do that, the stats change, and all the ones I checked had shield/absorb stats.

Qyzen healing appears to be fixed with 4.02.

Ability-wise, tanks are better tanks than Force since their AOE taunt has a 30m vs. 3m radius.

Choza and Veeroa are bugged in that they are Force users with Force Power, but their abilities are Tech, so gimped.

Force users HOT and channeled heal still have 4 ticks vs. Tech's 3, so still better healers (though T7's HOT gives 4 ticks as well).

Treek's abilities are unique.

Summary: they fixed a few things in 4.02, but there are still a lot of bugs and oddities. And while most comps have near-identical abilities and stats, there are plenty of differences that you'll have to examine to find.

Thank you! Very useful observations. All I can say here is Zenith 35 is much better DPS then Senya 23, but Senya beats him at healing and much more useful in solo-SF. So, for healing (heal\tanking) Force is still better, for DPS - tech can be superior.

Btw, unique ability of Treek is removing aggro from herself - is it really that great?

When in doubt, I let them heal, they still attack, but usually they self-preserve that way.

Below 10 influence, they tend to be mediocre

For those I used extensively

DS Jaesa is not a good healer but workable, suited to be tank, but then you have 2 tanks

LS Jaesa heals better

Broonmark is an awful healer, as before 4.0, I let him tank till he drops, he acts as a shield

Torian also is awful at healing, but workable as tank, just have to keep an eye on his health, Scorpio is better in both roles though

Nadia is very good at tanking, taking very little damage

With my consular, HK-51 works as dps and is ok at it, reminds me of Zenith

Lana works good both tanking and healing

Blizz provides more comic relief than anything else :p he self-preserves well

militaries in general seem to be good healers

Edited by efffel