[POLL] What would get you doing PVP more often or at all?

MeNaCe-NZ

I believe that what it takes has already happened. I took an almost complete vacation from PvP between the end of SWTOR version 2 and the start of SWTOR version 4.

So basically, a year of vacation from PvP and a gear reset.

I even sort of had fun in a vertical Hutball match last week, so apparently it worked pretty well.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave it as it is BW, there is enough regular pvp and the majority are content with the current gear situation.

... what majority ... ???

22% on the poll ... the majority of people posting wanting some form of change or hating pvp entirely regardless ... where does your majority come from exactly?

Unless you are implying the 22% are all PVP players and no PVP players are voting for any other option or voicing any other opinion but I don't see how you're going to show that. :)

Inventory redesign. I can't hold a PVP set, my PVE main set, and my PVE offspec at the same time.

If you remove the PVP gear barrier what will that do to open world PVP? people want the upper hand in open world pvp. Having warzone farmed gear is the best way to guarantee open world success.

People can just fight based on skill if flagged, be bloody funny to see some of the gankers @ 65 getting owned by people at level 10 or something because they were never very good and just used the gear/expertise advantage. :)

Granted the disparity in skill sets would stil lbe a big advantage for open world where there is a big level gap but it's better than it is now.

Obviously a 65 with level 90 valor is more experienced than a 65 with 0 valor, but they are grouped together. There could be skill matching, there could be 'advanced warzones' for certain valor ranks. Or equipment for valor rank. Or we could simply have and option to flag ourselves as 'experienced' and not be grouped with people that are 'new' to pvp, or expect to take a back seat and merely join for dailies and companion reputation.

I question people about their thoughts on PVP all the time, most of them never come to the forums, here's a summary of things that most people have to say.

SWTOR can't even balance teams of the same faction, situations where one team has 5 healers and the other with none. Little things like this keep people away.

A lot of people just don't want to do ranked, it takes to long (because no crossrealm) , and 4vs4 arenas is just not the same game play. It's a nice option, but for many the 8v8 matches are what they are interested to play.

What really is needed is some kind of 'end game' pvp to aspire too. At the moment it seems annoying and pointless to even have to get 'advanced gear' - there's no reward for being good now, it's just time spent. and for many by the time they've got full advanced/ranked gear with augments. they're completely BORED of PVP.

Why should PVP players be forced to serve crafters and the economy? Why shouldn't we be able to buy cheaper versions of augments and kits that are pvp only? why is our pvp gear much lower than PVE but we're expected to pay for these high cost end game items?

People are crying now about being forced to to PVP - yet we are continually expected to do PVE content to service our needs.

No new PVP maps, boring PVP gear, no new rewards.

Medals need reworking, dps/heal charts need reworking. For example a tank shouldn't get a healing medal for using a medpac!! The guy who's only running the ball and passing it to others on the goal line to score, gets left with low medals and score.

There should be flags for 'contributing/NOT contributing' like GSF

There needs to be NEW PvP maps, something different besides these square box maps and apparent 'combat simulations' - where are the story based conflicts? isn't this a game about the Republic vs the Empire ?

Overall I think people want the following,

#1 - NEW PVP MAPS (more of the same, plus new game modes)

#2 - 'Unique' PvP rewards.

#3 - PvP based progression

#4 - Team balancing

#5 - skill based match making

#6 - Crossrealm match making (required for 4 & 5 to work)

For me, it's a question of 'What do I get out of it?', because pvping in this game is nothing more, to me, than a daily/weekly side quest to complete. I don't care about being the best or being 'known'.

Does increasing my valor/pvp rank/etc. give me higher than normal rewards (more credits-WZ comms-exp) after matches? No.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

To be honest what more time do you think will be diverted to the pvp regardless of if they change the stats or not? In all honesty they already have the majority of the systems in place other, similar, games do. We could use a new map per expansions perhaps similar to wow but really its subjective.

I think why other games work so well is a mix of a true ladder system easily accessible online for all to see, some truly great personalities pushing the competitive edge via twitch/youtube, and a distinct lack of any "official" competitive function.

I mean looking at wow for example you have some "larger then life" personalities keeping pvp exciting and creating a hype to pvp (hansol, bajheera, swifty). They have their annual invite world tournament. And they have the ladders that are very obvious and easily monitored on the website.

We have very little in the way of a memorable online presence (we distinctly lack a larger then life player like say bajheera) which isn't to say we don't have some great players and people that could have that potential but its missing. Although we do recognize names and have very competitive players if you go on youtube or twitch its hard to find someone you truly watch to "learn so you can beat them someday". Heck my favorite swtor pvp video poster I watch as much because his videos are well done and chill (NexusGaming) and less to actually figure things out.

And I don't remember ever seeing or hearing any big event for swtor pvp. Would be great if bioware had a marketing person that's sole job was to help promote the games pvp via tournaments, twitch, youtube, etc but its rather lacking.

IDK I'm kind of driveling on at this point but I think I made my point. the problem isn't the pvp itself but rather the lack of any purposeful drive for that pvp. And its of my opinion that drive is more likely to be driven by attracting a pvp audience and developing systems to encourage the competitive nature of pvpers then to try to appease to those who have no desire to pvp to begin with.

I genuinely don't mind losing (which is good, I do it a lot) what I dislike are "roflstomps". I don't like getting roflstomped and, maybe surprising to some, I don't live giving a roflstomp either. To my mind the entire point of playing against a player is to pit skill and teamwork against skill and teamwork. Gear muddies those waters.

I don't want to maintain two sets of gear. Just don't. Sorry.

I want to be able to decide to enter a WZ on a whim and be competitive (power-wise, not necessarily skill-wise) with the people on my team and the people we're up against. Back when RotHC was the expansion I remember hitting the level cap mid-warzone where I was doing reasonably well and then requeueing at the cap and getting instantly, and repeatedly, demolished with little to show for it beyond the time it took me to respawn and race back out to my nearly-instant-death again.

That was as a tank no less....

Anyway, wasn't fun and it pretty much put me off PvPing in this game ever again. There's no fun in needing to manage multiple sets of gear and there's no fun in being repeatedly roflstomped into oblivion. If the situation were to change I would probably rather enjoy getting back into PvPing casually again.

I agree.

Your poll is flawed...

You need to have the option to not at all...

Do any of you know why Bioware/EA never listens to polls people make? Because they only put the choices on there that will skew to poll to say what they want it to... Without the option to say I don't want to (or will not) PvP, the poll automatically ignores what even by their metrics, is a HUGE part of the population.

Not included in the poll are:

• add new maps, and
  • add the ability to queue for a preferred map genre.

They give us choices and I'll do it more. I would absolutely be all over playing in a Huttball league.

To queue for specific PvP content, THAT would be indeed great. I'd find the quickest content, and do that Alliance PvP mission that way. It'd be over very quickly...

Edited by sentientomega

the problem isn't the pvp itself but rather the lack of any purposeful drive for that pvp. And its of my opinion that drive is more likely to be driven by attracting a pvp audience and developing systems to encourage the competitive nature of pvpers then to try to appease to those who have no desire to pvp to begin with.

Exactly.

---

Changing/removing expertise is not going to solve a thing.

Constantly putting 'new players' with experienced ones doesn't help anyone.

There's another good reason why A LOT of people I know have quit this game or simply are not playing warzones anymore. Not because there is no new content, not because there is no new maps, not because they think X class is over powered....

Simply they hate what the quality of PVP has become. With the influx of new players.... If you have been playing this game and doing PVP a few years now, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to play warzones currently, where barely anyone seems to have a clue about objectives or really cares about winning. It really has become a write off, if it's not fixed ASAP, pvp is definately going to die in this game.

---

AGAIN if you don't pvp and dont want to pvp then this doesn't concern you at all, no need to enter the discussion.

The fact that some of you hate pvp and will never pvp adds nothing.

I don't like PVE/OPS/FPS so I don't queue for them, pretty simple, so the content doesn't concern me, end of story.

No need for me to enter PVE threads and make comments about something I obviously know nothing about.

Stop with the bs hate against anyone who likes PVP! We weren't the ones who killed your alt on yavin and stole your slicing nodes. Get over it, stop crying, and UN-FLAG!

----

Regarding the longevity of this game. Pretty sure it's the hardcore PVE folks and PVP folks who are always subbed, buying coins and keeping this game alive. NOT all those who unsub for 6months before an xpac, return for story. then go off again to another game until next xpac drops. But apparently they'd rather cater to those folk...

So now that neither of these other groups are being catered too, exactly WHO is going to be playing this game in a few months time?

They don't expect to have high pop anymore, they expect to reel in people every few months with a minor story, mess with the cartel market and exploit player spending. These will be their 'Peak' periods. the rest will be the hum drum daily turn style of people coming and going.

empty servers and long queues, crazy gtn prices, it's all coming back very soon!

Welcome to the SWTOR - THEME PARK MODE!

That being said, i don't mind 4.0, but the lack of pvp stinks. Re-gearing all those toons just to do the same warzones has little to no point when the competition doesn't exist anymore. Warzones are decided now by having enough people who have a clue on your team. This means one team is always getting stomped, which means even if you good gear, know your class etc. it matters not, it's all just a lucky draw of 'whatever team has the most noobs will loose'

•  

That one i forgot to mention, but could be implemented if we had crossrealm match making.

As someone who pvps a lot (had enough comms to equip 4 toons in ranked gear in 4.0 and a lot of players had even more!)

I would support;

1. No Expertise, I know there is a booster system but once a player is found to be in pve gear or no where near 2018 expertise, they would get destroyed and that results in a deflated player who doesn't return. Also they get abuse from the so called pvpers, which is lame too because how else they suppose to start.

2. New Maps, We need new maps its as simple as that and I agree with others no more hutball type ones. I would also like 16 v 16 matches. I do think bioware should be able to create an instance that supports this, did they learn nothing from warhammer.

3. Fix the Matchmaking system, its appalling at times.

4. Have Wz's that support solo play ie, No premades in Unranked. Allowing pvp premades to destroy casual players who join solo is just not fun and that is the main reason why we play.

Just some of the things I think need looked at that would benefit the pvp side of this game.

SWTOR can't even balance teams of the same faction, situations where one team has 5 healers and the other with none. Little things like this keep people away.

I think it's probably done to get quick matches going as opposed to say ops/hm fps where you can be queuing for an hour or more in the past.

A solution could be, if they did away with gear and had set stats, is people select a "PVP" class option and you are that class whenever you PVP. Can change any time outside of PVP and maybe once per match within a WZ but there would be balance limits set on how much of each class can be present in a WZ perhaps?

Rough idea anyway but I know I've played games where it's worked well and helped with the issue you mention above.

A lot of people just don't want to do ranked, it takes to long (because no crossrealm) , and 4vs4 arenas is just not the same game play. It's a nice option, but for many the 8v8 matches are what they are interested to play.

Yup not sure why they structured ranked the way they did, it's stupid. Come learn PVP this was in WZ's then when you're good enough take your learned skills and throw a lot of them out the window because we expect you to do something completely different.

They should have arena/wz's for both unranked and ranked as well as deathmatch, ctf etc. - all awesome modes.

Of course to get to this point we need the uptake of PVP players to greatly increase hence this topic.

What really is needed is some kind of 'end game' pvp to aspire too. At the moment it seems annoying and pointless to even have to get 'advanced gear' - there's no reward for being good now, it's just time spent. and for many by the time they've got full advanced/ranked gear with augments. they're completely BORED of PVP.

I think the above changes to ranked would help there. Different modes to get good at and aspire to.

Helps justify the gear carrot removal too. The carrot is no longer to get the best auged gear but to get as high as poss on a game modes ranked chart and possibly earn rewards from each game mode.

Why should PVP players be forced to serve crafters and the economy? Why shouldn't we be able to buy cheaper versions of augments and kits that are pvp only? why is our pvp gear much lower than PVE but we're expected to pay for these high cost end game items?

Remove gearing, problem solved. Play for free. :)

People are crying now about being forced to to PVP - yet we are continually expected to do PVE content to service our needs.

Fair point but the forced PVP is ruining PVP even more because it's based on showing up, not actively participating.

No new PVP maps, boring PVP gear, no new rewards.

I believe I heard a map is coming ( fairly common knowledge ), still if the population stays low because of peoples issues and you can't get new people into it let alone retain the existing players long term then there are no metrics for BW to justify dev time towards PVP.

Your poll is flawed...

You need to have the option to not at all...

Do any of you know why Bioware/EA never listens to polls people make? Because they only put the choices on there that will skew to poll to say what they want it to... Without the option to say I don't want to (or will not) PvP, the poll automatically ignores what even by their metrics, is a HUGE part of the population.

Read the question ... the only thing flawed is your post above.

How would adding an option for "not at all" answer what would get you doing PVP more often or at all?

This topic is not for the people who would never PVP regardless, they can go make a whinge thread elsewhere about how much PVP sucks and will always suck no matter what positive changes are brought to it.

Honestly people like you are really annoying.

Here we have a topic that is trying to do something positive for the game and PVP by getting into the nitty gritty of what is needed to make it more popular but all you can do is try criticize the process, no interest in taking part in the discussion just want to be that neckbeard negative nancy that tries to rain on everyone else's parade.

Go complain in the slot machine thread or something.

• add new maps, and

They give us choices and I'll do it more. I would absolutely be all over playing in a Huttball league.

Fair enough, the poll is indeed mission options but that's why it's a topic also so we can post other ideas that could help.

Whether or not BW pay any attention who knows but as others have mentioned in other threads sometimes people's msg does get heard and they do make changes in regard to discussions that were had around those topics ( leveling process for example, take how much that's changed from launch to now, much more streamlined ).

O course other changes almost seem to be the opposite of what people wanted even though BW had the right intention, often their implementation can be lacking.