[KOTFE Spoilers] I really don't understand the inclusion of this NPC

Transairion

KOTFE SPOILERS AHEAD

So I really don't understand the inclusion of this NPC in KOTFE's story:

Tanno Vik

He just shows up in the Free Zone of Asylum, and you can talk to him. You're then given either the option to talk him down, or kill him outright to achieve what you wanted. Regardless of what you pick, he doesn't really appear again outside a cameo when you visit the Free Zone again.

Now my issue is this: Vik's original VA died quite some time ago. Having Vik speak as he does in KOTFE required another VA attempting to replicate the voice (and failing hard), and the character just.... doesn't really do anything.

You can't recruit Vik no matter what you do. Playing a Trooper, of which he is an original companion, he tells you to shove it and does what he likes it. It's made abundantly clear he's not going appear again, especially since you have the option to kill him. Yet you can still drag him out of the terminal later and waltz around with him, where he seems to have his old VA lines anyway.

Soooooo what was the point? "Closure"? All the time spent writing him into the story, getting another VA actor, everything, just for the character to tell you to go **** yourself or you slice him in half anyway? Why even spend the resources for that?

Given we've got so many characters unaccounted for, lost in the chaos of 5 years, and given Vik's orignal VA has died... why even bring him back? Why not just leave where he is unsaid? Leave it up to the players imagination? Heck, even say he died in the intern and make it an honorable mention to honor his VA.

"Shove it Major, I hate you" / [Decapitate Tanno Vik] just seems so pointless.

Could've filled his role with any other generic NPC and ended up with pretty much the same thing.

Edited by Transairion

Probably just a cameo,some people like that character. Totally ignoring him would be lazy,finishing him off with a letter would be silly. So he is shown as "being there" . It actually makes game more alive,though i don't know if it was worth the resources.

I had a totally different interaction with him. Not sure what choices I may have done but there was zero "confrontation." We delt with each other and he assisted later as I was running through the area. Seems he had a point to me.

The other point might be that some companions are "happy" with where they are five years later and won't be joining the alliance (no matter who you might be).

I agree. Tanno was kind of an underworld type any way. I can't imagine an underworld figure wanting to leave his underworld empire to return to a life of regimented military duty..... My Darth Nox worked out a deal with him, hoping I'd get his underworld connections and cooperation, but after reading this, I see sparing him was a waste.

Killing him, seemed like a waste, as well. Perhaps future chapters will see something come of it....?

I cannot answer your question. But I think that the inclusion is great for trooper characters. I am looking forward to play it with my second trooper, because he is dark sided. ;)

There are not many companions who are admitting that they are idiots and are even proud of it. I think he is therefore the best choice for the role he plays in KotFE.

He's a cameo, teasing those that like him that he may join us. In reality he cant, since he is killable I doubt we ever recruit him.

He might appear here and there though, too bad my smuggler would love him in her criminal empire. Along with skadge.

I loved the way you find him, I had the "Every body is having a new life" feel that made me think that possibly I won't be able to recover all of my crew members. Furthermore if the VA is dead I understand the move they made.

He's a cameo, teasing those that like him that he may join us. In reality he cant, since he is killable I doubt we ever recruit him.

He might appear here and there though, too bad my smuggler would love him in her criminal empire. Along with skadge.

Except

Xalek is killable yet you can recruit him so he reapper later.

KOTFE SPOILERS AHEAD

So I really don't understand the inclusion of this NPC in KOTFE's story:

((Big spoiler about Tanno Vik))

My thought is that maybe we don't know anything much about chapters 11 and on. (There are spoilerish bits about 10, and who that chapter is about, available in-game, but nothing else just yet. Alternatively, look in your "N" page in-game. Are there words written about who Tanno is? Now think about what that might mean.)