I thought this was supposed to be an MMO?

BetterThanLife

When I started playing SWTOR, in the initial beta, before launch, I thought to myself, these guys have got it right. The story is great, and you can play, without repeating sections, as a group. Grouping gives bonuses so is encouraged.

Take a Trooper and a Smuggler and starting on Ord Mantel you and your friend can play all the way through Makeb as a team. (Or Warrior and Inquisitor, or Knight and Counselor, or Agent and Bounty Hunter.) It was fun, it was cool. Get off the starting planet and you can go all the way from the home planet through Makeb and you can play with 3 friends.

Now along comes Shadow of Revan, and you have to split up for the conversations. Not as much fun, but most of the action was not in the sections where you are together. Manageable.

Knights of the Fallen Empire? Not a chance. Almost the entire story is required to be soloed. There is no real reason for the computer to even be connected to the Internet, except you are made to do so and the resulting slowdown.

This is no longer an MMO, it is now a single player game with some team or PVP play bolted on.

And the rich fully voiced story? That goes away after you get done with the first section. After that it is repeat, repeat, repeat for each toon you bring up, after Makeb it is the same story regardless of what faction you are in.

I am definitely disappointed.

People don't like people....go figure. Bioware likes money hence no more grouping. If they can change their mmo to an rpg and make a profit why wouldn't they? What do they care if your not having fun or unsub, they just replaced you with 10 rpg players.

Good. I can't wait to play KOTFE tomorrow. I always hated the MMO aspect of the game and I'm glad it's becoming the single-player experience Bioware is known for. If only they'd started doing this back when I played it the most.

I agree with you, but people seem to think group content is what makes a MMO. They are sadly mistaken, as that is not what a MMORPG all about.

Now, if the combat, gameplay was fun and decent. I could understand the views of people. Lets face it. This game is boring and old. The skills are boring, and the combat itself is tedious. I mean it takes real skill to make a jedi and sith fight look boring.

Another idiot who doesn't know what MMO stands for or any of the history of MMOs and thinks if something isn't a WoW clone its not a MMO.

Your argument isn't new, interesting, or relevant.

Actually, being a solo-centric game with no need for any grouping outside of some instances is a WoW clone! SWTOR continues to copy WoW, from the redone talent trees, which they took from Mists of Pandaria, to the whole stat squish idea for KoTFE, which WoW did in Warlords of Draenor. You can solo every single level in WoW and never touch a single instance along the way to reach max level, which SWTOR also copied.

So, yeah, SWTOR is a WoW clone.

You want to talk history of MMOs, go back to Ultima Online, Everquest, and even SWG where grouping was actually needed, and often, out in the open world. That is the history of MMOs, but not the current market.

As you claimed in another thread, I'll actually apply to you: calling out your BS on the forums is going to turn into a full-time job.

I agree with you, but people seem to think group content is what makes a MMO. They are sadly mistaken, as that is not what a MMORPG all about.

Now, if the combat, gameplay was fun and decent. I could understand the views of people. Lets face it. This game is boring and old. The skills are boring, and the combat itself is tedious. I mean it takes real skill to make a jedi and sith fight look boring.

The old stating personal opinions statement as fact. Who cares should if you think it's boring. Just don't play...easy fix.

Edited by Chimerako

Another idiot who doesn't know what MMO stands for or any of the history of MMOs and thinks if something isn't a WoW clone its not a MMO.

Your argument isn't new, interesting, or relevant.

Massive Multiplayer Online the full is MMORPG. You don't want to group, OK. Why does that mean it needs to be taken away from those of us that do?

I have never played WOW. It still doesn't interest me. I have played quite a few other MMO's though.

Edited by BetterThanLife

[quote=Jumajin;8557124.

You want to talk history of MMOs, go back to Ultima Online, Everquest, and even SWG where grouping was actually needed, and often, out in the open world. That is the history of MMOs, but not the current market.

Actually MMOs started with MUDs, Mushes and MOOs, on Darpa Net, most were single player with the option of group content.

MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online. Are there people online? Yes. That makes TOR an MMO. Nowhere does it say people must group to be classified as an MMO.

Besides, you can group if you want too - and you can solo if you don't.

Yes it is. And WoW is therefore an EQ clone. So what's your point?

Edited by Gronkdamage

Good. I can't wait to play KOTFE tomorrow. I always hated the MMO aspect of the game and I'm glad it's becoming the single-player experience Bioware is known for. If only they'd started doing this back when I played it the most.

Ditto. All I actually wanted was KotoR 3 anyway, so I'm chuffed.

People who defend the position that MMO's are really all about grouping, just don't understand.

Its like they have a blockage in believing we solo'ists, we adventurers, we happy band of brothers, They

think we're pulling their leg or something

LISTEN: If you think MMO's are strictly one, or the other way of gameplay..(grouping, soloing) you'd be wrong.

We both can co-habit a game, and play the styles and ways we want. I didn't buy into this game to "put up" with

people telling me I'm wrong about what I like or don't like. Ta, very much.

Join your group, instance out of sight, and we'll be traversing the World, happy playing the way we want .....

Capiche?

When I started playing SWTOR, in the initial beta, before launch, I thought to myself, these guys have got it right. The story is great, and you can play, without repeating sections, as a group. Grouping gives bonuses so is encouraged.

Take a Trooper and a Smuggler and starting on Ord Mantel you and your friend can play all the way through Makeb as a team. (Or Warrior and Inquisitor, or Knight and Counselor, or Agent and Bounty Hunter.) It was fun, it was cool. Get off the starting planet and you can go all the way from the home planet through Makeb and you can play with 3 friends.

Now along comes Shadow of Revan, and you have to split up for the conversations. Not as much fun, but most of the action was not in the sections where you are together. Manageable.

Knights of the Fallen Empire? Not a chance. Almost the entire story is required to be soloed. There is no real reason for the computer to even be connected to the Internet, except you are made to do so and the resulting slowdown.

This is no longer an MMO, it is now a single player game with some team or PVP play bolted on.

And the rich fully voiced story? That goes away after you get done with the first section. After that it is repeat, repeat, repeat for each toon you bring up, after Makeb it is the same story regardless of what faction you are in.

I am definitely disappointed.

One big disappointment was that my wife and I like to play together and for a large part of KotFE we could not. We also found some areas where we could severly bugged out if we group.

People who defend the position that MMO's are really all about grouping, just don't understand.

Its like they have a blockage in believing we solo'ists, we adventurers, we happy band of brothers, They

think we're pulling their leg or something

LISTEN: If you think MMO's are strictly one, or the other way of gameplay..(grouping, soloing) you'd be wrong.

We both can co-habit a game, and play the styles and ways we want. I didn't buy into this game to "put up" with

people telling me I'm wrong about what I like or don't like. Ta, very much.

Join your group, instance out of sight, and we'll be traversing the World, happy playing the way we want .....

Capiche?

Except you can't join a group for the story content. I don't care if others don't want to group.

That doesn't affect me one bit. Why does not being allowed to group, and have fun as a group a good thing?

Edited by BetterThanLife

Earth is an MMO. That doesn't mean I must interact with you. You're just living on the same planet is all. The less interaction I have with you the better. Why people feel an MMO requires you to "group" is anathema to me. I'll "group" with whom I please, and you're not invited.

Earth is an MMO. That doesn't mean I must interact with you. You're just living on the same planet is all. The less interaction I have with you the better. Why people feel an MMO requires you to "group" is anathema to me. I'll "group" with whom I please, and you're not invited.

Your post is going into my signature line.

This ^^^^^

Best. Response. Ever.

Excellent.

Actually, being a solo-centric game with no need for any grouping outside of some instances is a WoW clone! SWTOR continues to copy WoW, from the redone talent trees, which they took from Mists of Pandaria, to the whole stat squish idea for KoTFE, which WoW did in Warlords of Draenor. You can solo every single level in WoW and never touch a single instance along the way to reach max level, which SWTOR also copied.

As you claimed in another thread, I'll actually apply to you: calling out your BS on the forums is going to turn into a full-time job.

You forgot Asheron's Call, the third of the big three early MMOs. The one that was very solo friendly. The one where you could solo every single level to max level.