please do not nerf companions

Jeweledleah

if people find them overpowered and want a challenge, they can always disable their abilities and just have them do basic attacks. or put them on passive.

but in their current power state, they are quite literally the only thing that makes level sync tolerable for someone like me. currently the main reason I'm even bothering with influence is to make my chosen companions even more powerful. I like it that I can chose to group rather then being forced to group and that, again is thanks to companions power level. I like it that me having done all the stories - makes this much of a difference.

so please. keep them at their current power level. to me, right now? they are nearly perfect. the only thing that would make them better is being able to customize appearance of their gear.

thank you.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What they need to do is take them off the leash even more.

I'm thinking like in WoW where you can set your pet to aggressive. Let's do that with companions. That way they can clear out heroic areas solo while I make a sandwich.

I love sandwiches almost as much as Hylo Visz

What they need to do is take them off the leash even more.

I'm thinking like in WoW where you can set your pet to aggressive. Let's do that with companions. That way they can clear out heroic areas solo while I make a sandwich.

I love sandwiches almost as much as Hylo Visz

again, if you are having a problem with how powerful they are? put them on passive or disable their abilities. you HAVE the option to put them on passive, so that you don't need to be all ironic on the forums about how leet you are and how easy they make the game.

if they are nerfed? those of us who like them powerful will have no recourse.

Im sorry, they are too much right now. They were supposed to be on par with your character with this update. As in, if I have 60 k health, they are supposed to have 60 k health, if I have 2500 pri damage, they are supposed to have 2500 pri damage, if I have 5000 mastery, they are supposed to have 5000 mastery. They are not supposed to have 20 k more health, 1000 more mastery, and bloated pri damage.

if people find them overpowered and want a challenge, they can always disable their abilities and just have them do basic attacks. or put them on passive.

but in their current power state, they are quite literally the only thing that makes level sync tolerable for someone like me. currently the main reason I'm even bothering with influence is to make my chosen companions even more powerful. I like it that I can chose to group rather then being forced to group and that, again is thanks to companions power level. I like it that me having done all the stories - makes this much of a difference.

so please. keep them at their current power level. to me, right now? they are nearly perfect. the only thing that would make them better is being able to customize appearance of their gear.

thank you.

I so agree with this. As a new returning low level player this is a great change. They were so weak before.

again, if you are having a problem with how powerful they are? put them on passive or disable their abilities. you HAVE the option to put them on passive, so that you don't need to be all ironic on the forums about how leet you are and how easy they make the game.

if they are nerfed? those of us who like them powerful will have no recourse.

Having the option isn't good enough for some people. Some of them can't get their heads around it being OK for other people to play the game a different way or enjoy something else. Others come across as realizing, at some level, that they cannot trust themselves to take anything other than the easiest path -- so they "need" and demand that the devs to make them take a harder path, and they project their own personality onto the entire playerbase, with comments like "people will always take the easy way, so we can't let them". (And never mind that maybe someone else just enjoys a relaxing hour of SWTOR instead of looking for that next adrenaline fix.)

Look at the entire levelsync "debate" from before 4.0 went live, for another example.

Im sorry, they are too much right now. They were supposed to be on par with your character with this update. As in, if I have 60 k health, they are supposed to have 60 k health, if I have 2500 pri damage, they are supposed to have 2500 pri damage, if I have 5000 mastery, they are supposed to have 5000 mastery. They are not supposed to have 20 k more health, 1000 more mastery, and bloated pri damage.

Source? I think you're pulling this out of your behind.

Remember that overpowered super droid we got for the solo flashpoints in SOR? That's what the companions feel like now. Yes they are that overpowered, and yes, they need to be nerfed. If I can solo heroic starforge with little effort and barely better than questing gear, that's a problem.

Source? I think you're pulling this out of your behind.

He's really not. The companion numbers are ridiculous.

My rank 25 companion has almost 100k health already, and that's in healing stance. There are still 25 ranks to go. I'm getting healed for such stupidly high amounts that I don't even bother getting out of boss aoe anymore.

Edited by CarpeSangrea

My rank 25 companion has almost 100k health already, and that's in healing stance. There are still 25 ranks to go. I'm getting healed for such stupidly high amounts that I don't even bother getting out of boss aoe anymore.

I've stopped getting out of boss AOE and I don't interrupt mobs any more, there's no point bothering.

Having the option isn't good enough for some people. Some of them can't get their heads around it being OK for other people to play the game a different way or enjoy something else. Others come across as realizing, at some level, that they cannot trust themselves to take anything other than the easiest path -- so they "need" and demand that the devs to make them take a harder path, and they project their own personality onto the entire playerbase, with comments like "people will always take the easy way, so we can't let them". (And never mind that maybe someone else just enjoys a relaxing hour of SWTOR instead of looking for that next adrenaline fix.)

Look at the entire levelsync "debate" from before 4.0 went live, for another example.

Pretty much this. Flashbacks to the 12xp "debates" as well:

"How dare you not want to slog through every leech infested swamp, spelunk every cave in those mountains! I think thats fun, so you have to as well because im the Great Grand PooBa and my opinion is the only thing that matters!"

Not everyone has legacy datacron/buff/presence/10k+ affection bonuses up the wazoo. Or all kinds of twink/cm goodies to improve themself.

A new player just starting the game is going to have a much different playthrough on DK with their 0 affection comp then your latest alt with your CM gear, stuff sent from crafting/gtn alts, legacy datacron & class buffs and jacked up presence rating...

To detractors: As others have said, this -helps offset- the level syncing that so many of you whined about...

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Remember that overpowered super droid we got for the solo flashpoints in SOR? That's what the companions feel like now. Yes they are that overpowered, and yes, they need to be nerfed. If I can solo heroic starforge with little effort and barely better than questing gear, that's a problem.

He's really not. The companion numbers are ridiculous.

again, if you find them too powerful, disable some or all of their abilities. moreover - there are two reasons right now to gain companion influence. their power in combat? and their crafting bonuses (especially since conversations are no longer tied to influence rank). since crafting bonuses have been equalized across the board and companion gifts are practically dropping from the sky - you can literally pick 6 random companions that you will never take into the field with you and level THEM for crafting, leaving your combat companions at a lower power level. no one is forcing you to get them to rank 25 influence or higher.

me? i LIKE it that they feel as powerful as GSIsus. its the next best thing to not being mandatory synced down.

Pretty much this. Flashbacks to the 12xp "debates" as well:

"How dare you not want to slog through every leech infested swamp, spelunk every cave in those mountains! I think thats fun, so you have to as well because im the Great Grand PooBa and my opinion is the only thing that matters!"

Not everyone has legacy datacron/buff/presence/10k+ affection bonuses up the wazoo. Or all kinds of twink/cm goodies to improve themself.

A new player just starting the game is going to have a much different playthrough on DK with their 0 affection comp then your latest alt with your CM gear, stuff sent from crafting/gtn alts, legacy datacron & class buffs and jacked up presence rating...

and this

Edited by Jeweledleah

Not seeing these melodramatic "uber companions". Only difference I see, in heal stance a companion will actually heal now, rather than stand there shooting at an enemy. That, and tank stance has "smart" aoe now that will not break cc. All else strikes me as melodrama and hyperbole.

Patch on Tuesday coming though and they may very well cater to this weird fantasy and nerf companions. We can then move on to nerfing down scaled players; I am sure they are now game breaking too.

again, if you find them too powerful, disable some or all of their abilities. moreover - there are two reasons right now to gain companion influence. their power in combat? and their crafting bonuses (especially since conversations are no longer tied to influence rank). since crafting bonuses have been equalized across the board and companion gifts are practically dropping from the sky - you can literally pick 6 random companions that you will never take into the field with you and level THEM for crafting, leaving your combat companions at a lower power level. no one is forcing you to get them to rank 25 influence or higher.

me? i LIKE it that they feel as powerful as GSIsus. its the next best thing to not being mandatory synced down.

and this

So for some strange reason you actually enjoy having no remote challenge in the game at all? And suggesting that people play other than the way it was designed is just asinine. The game was designed from the start for people to use companions.

Exactly. If the new companions are encouraging this kind of behavior, how will people be remotely prepared for any of the other content in the game?

you know there is an easy solution to that. make boss AoE and other avoidable damage - two shot (to give people a bit of a window to get out). so that even the most overpowered companion cannot heal through through damage that should have been avoided in a first place.

voila! people are still being encouraged to stay out of the stupid and people who like to chose when they group - continue to have their option to solo

I absolutely agree. I am disabled and I play on Casual difficulty in every other game. This change allows me to enjoy the storyline without all the frustration.

I would suggest that BioWare make a Public Service Announcement for those wishing for a greater challenge with steps they can use to achieve that, such as disabling their companions and so on.

Not seeing these melodramatic "uber companions". Only difference I see, in heal stance a companion will actually heal now, rather than stand there shooting at an enemy. That, and tank stance has "smart" aoe now that will not break cc. All else strikes me as melodrama and hyperbole.

Patch on Tuesday coming though and they may very well cater to this weird fantasy and nerf companions. We can then move on to nerfing down scaled players; I am sure they are now game breaking too.

Just because you personally don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. Right now I can go into a heroic, pull 3 seperate groups of elite/silver mobs, and survive. It's hardly "melodramatic" if your companion makes you immortal.

So for some strange reason you actually enjoy having no remote challenge in the game at all? And suggesting that people play other than the way it was designed is just asinine. The game was designed from the start for people to use companions.

so for some reason you reject EXISTING IN GAME OPTIONS to make your playtime more challenging? the game was design with ability to put your companions on passive, it was DESIGNED to give you an option to disable some or all of their abilities. its not a glitch, its not an exploit, its BY DESIGN.

when I'm playing solo, I don't play this game to be challenge. I play this game to relax and usually, when I'm doing stuff like H2, I don't even have sound on - I'm usually watching something on Netflix or hulu while I'm in game. this allows me to use my leisure time more efficiently - get more done while i have time to relax if you will.

when I want a challenge and group content? I go into content with people instead of companions, usually ops. when I want to challenge my mind? I either start learning something new, or do puzzles.

I play this game to relax and usually, when I'm doing stuff like H2, I don't even have sound on - I'm usually watching something on Netflix or hulu while I'm in game.

So you play the game while watching television and you complain that the game was too hard otherwise? You just lost any credibility whatsoever.

Exactly. If the new companions are encouraging this kind of behavior, how will people be remotely prepared for any of the other content in the game?

Yeah I agree. The way to fix this without nerfing companions would be to up the damage of enemies slightly, and up the damage of enemy aoe and interruptible attacks by a lot. There needs to be an incentive to get out of that circle.

So you play the game while watching television and you complain that the game was too hard otherwise? You just lost any credibility whatsoever.

I'm so sorry (or hey, maybe you should feel lucky) that your life must be so uneventful that you seek your game to be challenging at all times. I'm so sorry that you must have your dailies demanding 100% of your attention, that everything should feel like a progression OP.

I will repeat again and again. you. have options. more so now with level sync being mandatory.

learn to use them instead of looking down on how other people enjoy playing.