Is This Really What People Want??

havokhead

So basically it seems that you and a lot of the others here want a single player game. I'm all for KOTOR 3 myself, but this one is still supposed to be an MMO.

Wrong.

What we want is a heavy story base MMO like they promise with some MMO elements. Aka Options to group talk/sells things to people.

This is what we are getting, This is still a MMO. This is what they promise us at the start.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong.

What we want is a heavy story base MMO like they promise with some MMO elements. Aka Options to group talk/sells things to people.

This is what we are getting, This is still a MMO. This is what they promise us at the start.

This. Original SWTOR was trying to be too many things to too many people and suffered for it. Needed to be a heavy story based almost single player esque game with some mmo elements....not the other way around.

I guess I don't mind the extra story (even though I don't share the opinion of those people who say the story is exceptional; I personally think it's mediocre in terms of originality and execution), but absolutely not at the expense of everything else. Someone wrote, why does it always have to be about you raiders. Well, it's definitely all about story now, that's for sure. So perhaps in some time, raiders/pvpers will have to cry out, why does it always have to be about your story-driven players.

As a side note, who knew story-driven players were so hostile to other players.

IT is what I want for sure...Who has time for raiding anymore? Those glory days of mine from the day Wow came out...to the death of the Lich King is when I stopped caring about raiding...Oh sure, I tried raiding in SWTOR back when it first came out and a little after...but...let's be honest...unlike Wow in it's prime (2004-2009) this game was average at best with its raiding.

What it was never average with however was it's storytelling! So play to your strengths i say!

Ok thank you for your cander. Clearly I'm funding the wrong crowd hah.

Well, look at it this way: for >15 years countless people have been funding small part of playerbase (which you belong to). Unfortunately for you, thats not sustainable, and that small group can barely support indie games. You have very niche taste and should look for entertainment in very niche games. AAA games cannot afford that (except WoW)

Yes.

Great story, fun characters, enjoyable plot twists, and a premise that takes it away from the clever but-completely-explored-by-now "What if in the past, you had the Galactic Empire-type-society from the original series, and the Republic-type-society from the prequels, existing at the same time as two different nations, and they had a fight?" original scenario.

Yes, it's noticeably less MMO than previous version. Good.

Its not less of MMO. But what it is is more of RPG.

I know "old schoolers" dont want RPG in their MMO, but old school ended in 2004 (with release of WoW). And even WoW is slowly ending. You cannot live in the past. Nostalgia is all nice and dandy but people cant pull 12 hours/day leveling session just to stay with the flock, or camping bosses for 12-16 hours/day just to have any chance of progress.

Edited by Mikahrone

I'm an old-fashioned mmo player, I've been playing mmos for a long time. I'm also a Star Wars fan, Old Republic was a great mix of the two. That's why I'm here. But personally, I think this new direction of SWTOR is just a big mess. They keep saying "Oh ya, all players really want nowadays is more story, more epicness". Really!!??

Do you really want all of Bioware's resources tied up for months & months to partake in a stream-lined, cut scene infested story arc that can be finished in an afternoon? You don't want any new pvp content? No new operations? Yes I realize these things "may be coming in the near future" but in the meantime this new storyline content just has no re-playability at all. How many times are you willing to follow Lana the "Jedi-wannabe sith" through a swamp? I've been told that this is what players really want and I find it hard to believe.

I think you are all confused, you want to sit around for 6 months at a time waiting for an afternoon's entertainment. Then you don't want an mmo, you want a MOVIE!! And great news, there's a Star Wars movie coming out in 2 months!! I'll see you all there but in the meantime I'd like my mmo back because this is not a mmo PC game, this is an advanced version of a read-along book. I used to read those when I was like 7 yrs old. "If you want to jump over the puddle turn to page 63. If you want to go around the puddle instead, then turn to page 89." Either way you're on the other side of the puddle!! Congratulations you finished Chapter 1 - The Puddle, now please wait patiently for 6 more months as we move on to Chapter 2 - The Hill.

Come on people!!

When you are talking about mmo communities, you will see a wide variety of player types. This is BioWares first foray into the world of MMO's. They are one of the best companies at single-player games and story weaving. With their inexperience in mmo's I believe they have gotten caught up in that never ending hunt for the elusive white rabbit that a lot of companies find themselves in.

They seem to go from one extreme to the other with this game. First total focus on story, then on group content, then Cartel Market, and now back to story. Instead of chasing that white rabbit, they should just find a fine neutral balance and let that rabbit come to them. They have a faithful following for now, evident by the emotional responses seen in these forums. If they could strike that balanced middle ground of story and group content, they might find the player base would be more satisfied. They will never please everyone, for sure..

A lot of companies use focus groups to improve their bottom line and where they get those groups from is a mystery to me. I personally feel they should punch that focus group in the mouth. But that is just me. They probably should also re-evaluate their testing staff as well. A lot of these annoying bugs and broken mechanics should have been fixed prior to the headstart instead of relying on the headstart group to identify said bugs and broken mechanics. I have a sneaking suspicion that EA was behind pushing this expansion out before completely tested. Just my opinion.

As far as this being what people want, I believe you will find a mix of opinions. There are players that are hardcore instant gratification types and don't want a challenge of are never happy with what is delivered. Many want an easy game and that can be to the detriment of any successful franchise. However, you find a following at the polar opposite of that spectrum as well. Ideally, they will try to find a fine balance at some point.

Yes.

The story is the only good thing about TOR. The people who think it has any other redeeming qualities are morons and delusional. The PVP is awful. The gameplay is tedious and they're making it less so. I'd rather wait 6 months for well-written content because, guess what, I don't spend all of my time playing this game. Imagine that. If you want an MMO that gives you 6 months of boring content, that's on you, go play all of the other games. GW2 has better PVP. Wildstar has better gameplay.

Look at my sig, bro.

This, so much this. Most people came from KotOR and want a story, we don't care about any of the other trash. I myself like to RP on the side, but that isn't affected at all by the update. This is, for all intents and purposes, exactly what people wanted and always have wanted since the game was announced.

Edited by Justicescooby

I feel like this game fails as an MMO, because the PvP and raids aren't that fun, but it makes up for it by having an amazing story in a well loved universe. There are a lot of mmorpgs and this one fills the niche of having story over gameplay and for that alone this expansion is what many wanted and what I want. I still have my hopes up that the coming chapters will be slightly longer at least, but overal I am very happy with what I got.

I raided for several years in WoW. It's day has come and gone for me. It will never again be something I care much about.

So, for me, SWTOR had very much become the MMO for me in 4.0.

Tell us why every mmo has to be for raiders firstly and foremostly, will you?

Well they ignored us completely here, so not only is it not "firstly and foremostly," it's nonexistent. Taking a backseat to story is one thing....but they didn't even let us in the car.

And, well....I think the answer to your question is actually in your question. MMO...Massively Multiplayer Online...

From what I understand, the term 'multiplayer' implies cooperation. I'm not saying that HAS to be always the focus because I like story too. But not doing anything with it? And as the OP asked: "Is this really what people want?"

Judging by the responses, I guess so. Makes me sad. But, who knows? Maybe 6 months from now they'll release some stuff for us 'raiders.'

This is a story centric mmorpg. It is really big and lots of different stories throughout the galaxy. That's why people play this game mostly. Also, Jeff Hickman has stated that the mmo bits and parts were coming after they focus on the big stories first. This game will keep on growing and getting better with age. The really polished things up in this expansion.

Yes.

The story is the only good thing about TOR. The people who think it has any other redeeming qualities are morons and delusional. The PVP is awful. The gameplay is tedious and they're making it less so. I'd rather wait 6 months for well-written content because, guess what, I don't spend all of my time playing this game. Imagine that. If you want an MMO that gives you 6 months of boring content, that's on you, go play all of the other games. GW2 has better PVP. Wildstar has better gameplay.

Look at my sig, bro.

The story is the strongest part of the game. That's why most play it. and they don't come to the boards complaining about it. You want a more hardcore mmo then you picked the wrong one.

And, well....I think the answer to your question is actually in your question. MMO...Massively Multiplayer Online...

From what I understand, the term 'multiplayer' implies cooperation.

Multiplayer does not mean cooperation. If grouping was required in these games I think the term would be MMOG(massively multiplayer online group). An mmo is an online virtual world where many players interact through a multitude ways not only groups.

*poster complains*

*still subs*

If you don't like it, then leave. No one is forcing you stay. Personally, I really enjoy it. I only have the 8 classes, and yeah replayability can get annoying at times with the stream-lined stories, but I don't sub continuously. Maybe 4 months out of the year. Keeps it fresh.

It's being dumbed down so far, that it may as well be renamed The Sims™: Star Wars™.

Oh noes! Its been DUMBED DOWN!*

*mantra of small group of people since 1999

I cant recall on which MMO boards i havent seen that phrase used extensively.

Edited by Mikahrone

Multiplayer does not mean cooperation. If grouping was required in these games I think the term would be MMOG(massively multiplayer online group). An mmo is an online virtual world where many players interact through a multitude ways not only groups.

Okay....is there another game, perhaps another MMORPG that follows suit with this one? (I'm honestly asking, I don't know). Where the focus is more on single-player and removes group from the equation?

I've just never heard of a game that calls itself 'multiplayer' that didn't somehow involve actively playing with multiple people. And when I say actively playing, I mean participating together in the same content for mutual benefit.

Okay....is there another game, perhaps another MMORPG that follows suit with this one? (I'm honestly asking, I don't know). Where the focus is more on single-player and removes group from the equation?

I've just never heard of a game that calls itself 'multiplayer' that didn't somehow involve actively playing with multiple people. And when I say actively playing, I mean participating together in the same content for mutual benefit.

Most of MMOs are like that. its not 1999 anymore.