Is This Really What People Want??

havokhead

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize Bioware Austin was opened specifically because it could pull in experienced MMO developers in the area right? Bioware Montreal is who does RPGs...Bioware Austin does MMOs.

Take that up with them. Bioware Austin are the ones who created the MMORPG.

MMORPGs seem to have forgotten the RPG part all together and went the grinding route over the years, SWTOR is adding that story is first, the rest is secondary, yes the rest is not gone, but it's not the focus, which is imo a good thing, if they manage to pult it off right, a lot of story and a little bit of everything.

So is this what I really want? yes but

they should also add some content, like pvp map or something later on to keep it fresh, but still number one focus story.

Edited by Azareya

You do realize that Bioware is an RPG developer...and that SWTOR is an MMORPG...right?

They dont want RPG in their MMO, they were clear on that.

What they want is diablo-esque/wow-esque gear grinder where all you do (and pay 15$/month) is farm same boss week in week out to get leet gearscore.

Edited by Mikahrone

Um...yeah...that was my point. :confused:

I must have missed your original point, other than telling me the motives for Bioware Austin's creation. I admit that I didn't actually know that, but maybe I'm still missing your point. Do you not agree with the original design for SWTOR having a story at all or is it something else?

Edited by TraxusAngel

I must have missed your original point, other than informing me the motives for Bioware Austin's creation. I admit that I didn't actually know that, but maybe I'm still missing your point. Do you not agree with the original design for SWTOR having a story at all or is it something else?

You said BW was an RPG developer. He was telling you that BW:A was made specifically for this MMORPG, not to make another RPG.

You said BW was an RPG developer. He was telling you that BW:A was made specifically for this MMORPG, not to make another RPG.

Yes...I acknowledged as much....so what are we arguing about? It's seem to me like the point he is making is that he would rather just cut the RPG part off.

Edited by TraxusAngel

Yes...I acknowledged as much....but they did already....so what are we arguing about?

Arguing the point that BW makes only RPGs, so stick to what you're good at when this group was put together, with MMO veterans, specifically to create an MMO and not an RPG.

Arguing the point that BW makes only RPGs, so stick to what you're good at when this group was put together, with MMO veterans, specifically to create an MMO and not an RPG.

And they failed and are now back to their original plan of making game for their audience instead Wow audience. I dont really see why are you so confused about that.

They were specifically created to make mmoRPG with focus on story and somewhere along the way (2010) WoW pipedream appeared and, well, rest is history.

Edited by Mikahrone

I must have missed your original point, other than telling me the motives for Bioware Austin's creation. I admit that I didn't actually know that, but maybe I'm still missing your point. Do you not agree with the original design for SWTOR having a story at all or is it something else?

Maybe it's me who is confused? My original point was to correct you.

You stated:

You do realize that Bioware is an RPG developer...and that SWTOR is an MMORPG...right?

To which I replied:

You realize Bioware Austin was opened specifically because it could pull in experienced MMO developers in the area right? Bioware Montreal is who does traditional RPGs...Bioware Austin does MMOs.

Bioware has 2 very separate and distinct studios. Montreal (the HQ and original BW) is all about the traditional single player RPG...we agree on that. Bioware Austin however, was opened and staffed specifically to create MMOs (MMORPGs).

RPG simply means playing the part of whatever character you're on...something common to any game where you control an avatar - would you agree? In HALO, I roleplay Master Chief. In COD I roleplay a Special Ops guy. RPG means very little in terms of defining the game...it's a very broad in definition. The single player vs MMO part is the only part that matters...and Bioware Austin, our developer, was opened specifically for online multiplayer (MMO) games.

Maybe it's me who is confused? My original point was to correct you.

You stated:

To which I replied:

Bioware has 2 very separate and distinct studios. Montreal (the HQ and original BW) is all about the traditional single player RPG...we agree on that. Bioware Austin however, was opened and staffed specifically to create MMOs (MMORPGs).

RPG simply means playing the part of whatever character you're on...something common to any game where you control an avatar - would you agree? In HALO, I roleplay Master Chief. In COD I roleplay a Special Ops guy. RPG means very little in terms of defining the game...it's a very broad in definition. The single player vs MMO part is the only part that matters...and Bioware Austin, our developer, was opened specifically for online multiplayer (MMO) games.

Right, then I admitted that I didn't know about the purpose behind the Austin studio's creation.

As for the definition of RPG - I agree and disagree. Yes, you are playing that 'role' in Halo and COD, but the RPG genre itself is more in line with Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, that kind of game.

SWTOR is obviously both. I mean, yeah, they lean more towards the singleplayer story and PvE, which, in my mind, is what Bioware almost universally known for. It is an MMO, it has group content, you are always online with people, and it is an RPG, with the usually deep and interesting story, player-created characters, dialogue options, stats, and the like.

I think we left our original points back there some 3 pages ago and it just got lost in the posts or something, I don't know. I'm mostly confused as to why this conversation still going on more than anything.

Edited by TraxusAngel

Right, then I acknowledged that I didn't know about the purpose behind the Austin studio's creaton.

As for the definition of RPG - I agree and disagree. Yes, you are playing that 'role' in Halo and COD, but the RPG genre itself is more in line with Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, that kind of game.

SWTOR is obviously both. I mean, yeah, they lean more towards the singleplayer story and PvE, which is what, in my mind, is what Bioware almost universally known for. It is an MMO, it has group content, you are always online with people, and it is an RPG, with the usually deep and interesting story, player-created characters, dialogue options stats, and the like.

I think we left our original points back there some 3 pages ago or something, I don't know. I mostly confused as to why this conversation still going on more than anything.

It's going on because you haven't admitted I'm right yet :p

I kid!!!

I think the point you were trying to make is that Bioware is known for it's single player stories...which, prior to this game, was accurate. But the studio that designed this game, Bioware Austin, was created specifically to build an MMO with talented people - they pulled veteran MMO developers from the area (and elsewhere) to form this new branch of Bioware that was focused on the MMO part of the game.

Is This Really What People Want??

Personally, no. Not at the expense of new group PVP and PVE stuff anyway, or general improvements to the game. I'll take those (mainly PVP for me) over story prominence in an MMO if it's a choice between them. I like story in general, but I'd rather get this much story focus from a SPRPG.

I thought the story to Ch. 9 was good and well done. Main problem is that "was" part there; and during it I mostly watched cut scenes and clicked the wheel with some short and simple mob fights in between them (yawn). I took my time with it, and it still didn't take but a few hours.

Can't say I'm super interested in doing it again and starting the alliance stuff on my load of other chars anytime soon. Which makes me curious to see how this will pan out population-wise, how sustainable it is.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I think the point you were trying to make is that Bioware is known for it's single player stories...which, prior to this game, was accurate. But the studio that designed this game, Bioware Austin, was created specifically to build an MMO with talented people - they pulled veteran MMO developers from the area (and elsewhere) to form this new branch of Bioware that was focused on the MMO part of the game.

Maybe it's your definition of MMO that is confusing me. Isn't that exactly what they did? They made an MMO, with the traditionally story focused content that Bioware is known for. It has all the other stuff PvP, raids, 'dungeons,' all that, but it's not their main focus right now and it's pretty clear given the recent expansions that it's not the main priority period. But is that what you and the others want? Them to put that stuff first? Because yeah, I think you were spot on my point - BioWare has become company skilled on the role player genre. The 'Commander Shepard is You' formula that is the core part of all of their games up to this point. Did you not want that in this game, like at all? Did you want more a World of StarWarsCraft? And the main question along with my point is that it's BioWare's brand of an RPG with an MMO, what did you all expect? And what did you really want out of a PvE focused game? I know, it's a different branch created to create MMOs, so it's not the same as the rest of Bioware...but it is still BioWare.

And to add to that, what is the general consensus in Bioware of what the definition of what an MMO is?

Edited by TraxusAngel

Can't say I'm super interested in doing it again and starting the alliance stuff on my load of other chars anytime soon. Which makes me curious to see how this will pan out population-wise, how sustainable it is.

And how exactly is this in any way different than grinding operations? Grinding warzones? Grinding crafting materials?

It might be wrapped up differently and very nicely, but a grind stays the same no matter what you do. You participate in event X, which is repetitive by the time you finished it for the second time, just to get a new item.

The alliance system is nothing different from that. You can run the SF encounters with friends and guildies. You can even do PvP, it is still there. Just that you have an alliance to farm now.

Have fun. You wanted MMORPG? Sadly, an MMORPG is mostly grinding. That is the secret behind any end game: You are supposed to grind the same thing as long as possible. Get used to it. It isn't different in WoW. It is the same in FFXIV. Black Desert will have it too. SW:TOR also still has some of it left. How about we stop pretending that a new operation would not become repetitive on the second DPS character after running it for the third time?

And how exactly is this in any way different than grinding operations? Grinding warzones? Grinding crafting materials?

It might be wrapped up differently and very nicely, but a grind stays the same no matter what you do. You participate in event X, which is repetitive by the time you finished it for the second time, just to get a new item.

The alliance system is nothing different from that. You can run the SF encounters with friends and guildies. You can even do PvP, it is still there. Just that you have an alliance to farm now.

Have fun. You wanted MMORPG? Sadly, an MMORPG is mostly grinding. That is the secret behind any end game: You are supposed to grind the same thing as long as possible. Get used to it. It isn't different in WoW. It is the same in FFXIV. Black Desert will have it too. SW:TOR also still has some of it left. How about we stop pretending that a new operation would not become repetitive on the second DPS character after running it for the third time?

Thanks, I've been wasting hours of my life grinding in games for 20+ years now but never noticed that b4. :rak_09:

My reply was about my personal preferences and thoughts. Feel free to share subjective stuff yourself, or another capt. obvious-tier speech. Open forum 'n all.

See I don't care if you don't like it. The story was amazing, and to call it cheap makes me want to punch you in the face. Just say, I don't like it. The story oozes with love and effort. If you can't see that. Shut up and go away.

Wow you're a touchy one aren't you. By cheap I meant that it doesn't cost a lot to churn out. Oh and please come punch me in the face little boy "the story oozes with love and effort" you say that and then try to pull off being a tough guy...hilarity!!!

One more thing; I have just as much right as you to state that I don't like the story and why I don't like it, I paid the fee's just like you.

Edited by Arryek

Wait, they want to do what? Where? that kinda sound like some crazy 'Murican idea...

Well, I know they want to stop teaching handwriting - or at least cursive handwriting - in some schools, given the prevalence of typing now. But I suppose decrying the declining state of the world today, and the younger generation in particular, just sounds better if you say they want to stop teaching 'writing'.

One should never let facts get in the way of a good diatribe, after all.

Edited by DarthDymond

Wow you're a touchy one aren't you. By cheap I meant that it doesn't cost a lot to churn out. Oh and please come punch me in the face little boy "the story oozes with love and effort" you say that and then try to pull off being a tough guy...hilarity!!!

One more thing; I have just as much right as you to state that I don't like the story and why I don't like it, I paid the fee's just like you.

You know, I don't mind being touchy. Because that line of. "Doesn't cost a lot to churn out" Makes you look like a clueless fool. So at the end of the day, you punched yourself in the face for me. Thanks I feel better now.

You know, I don't mind being touchy. Because that line of. "Doesn't cost a lot to churn out" Makes you look like a clueless fool. So at the end of the day, you punched yourself in the face for me. Thanks I feel better now.

Wow, you just don't get my point or understand my analogy...you're just a hypersensitive stupid fool. Who **** in your Malt-O-Meal today???