The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, remove the PvP from the quest to get M1-4X.

NogueiraA

The reason I don't comment on your perception of the PvP quality is because it's subjective. If you don't like it, I have no issues with that. The PvP in this game is actually quite fun for me, but certainly not competitively so.

Harbinger has as many, if not more, players in the various warzones and arenas as operations at any given time. Certainly more at the off-peak times when no one is raiding. BW has not released participation numbers since the guild summit some years ago, but it was well over 50% of the population that had participated. And you can always follow the ranked leaderboards to gauge the amount of players participating there, although that is a small subset of the population PvPing.

Remember that PvP is available at level 10 and can certainly be viable as a way to gain extra XP while players level. PvP is far more popular to the casual audience than you're giving it credit for.

His perception is not subjective at all! Here is some statistics for you http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/03/turbine-raiders-make-up-the-smallest-player-group-in-lotro/

The game is different, but as heavy PvE oriented as SWTOR. Look at the percentage of raiders.

Edited by Mirandel

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His perception is not subjective at all! Here is some statistics for you http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/03/turbine-raiders-make-up-the-smallest-player-group-in-lotro/

The game is different, but as heavy PvE oriented as SWTOR. Look at the percentage of raiders.

Since that stat is irrelevant to SWTOR, how about we look at the actual SWTOR fact that matters. That fact is that the PvP servers are all dead and PvP oriented players have been forced to move to PvE servers in order to get queue times that are not insane.

I won't argue that Operations are the highest played portion of this game because I know that's flat out wrong also. What I will argue is that less players PvP than run Operations; especially now that SM Operations are all bolstered. So, if you take a tiny portion of the player base and then take a fraction of that tiny portion you end up with a pretty small percentage of players in this game.

The OP just wants there to be a PvE gate added to M1-4X recruitment as an alternate means. This request is not bizarre in the slightest, and it actually makes a lot of sense. The PvE gate doesn't have to be an Operation, it doesn't even have to be a Flashpoint. The PvE gate could be something as simple as getting the first kill achievement of Imperial NPC's on every planet. That would still keep the lore of M1-4X wanting to kill all the Imps, and that would satisfy not needing to run 20 warzones that are absolutely painful to sit through.

Edited by JoeeyyMagzz

Even Qyzen offered some alternatives. I don't see how this can't.

If you want to stick to a PVP theme, there always could be PVE quests on PVP zone like in the Illum event.

Even if it takes a long while, that would be more doable for PVE only players.

OMG so we have to do a tiny bit of PvP compared to the huge amount of PvE PvPers have to do.

And you don't HAVE to do it via PvP, just go to the terminal if you are a Trooper. So only those who are getting him via alliance need to PvP, and again, they don't have to have him, so it isn't required.

You just have to get to level 10. After that it is on you.

Holy *****!!!! My mouth is literally wide open...I came here thinking you'd be ripping on PvP...I'm very pleasantly shocked!

I'm so happy to see you type this man. PvP isn't the evil endeavor so many people believe it is. Starting it how you did, with friends, is absolutely the best way to enjoy it. Laugh! Smile! Curse! Unlike PvE, nobody is judging you by your parse...just have fun...pay attention and do your best! You win some, lose some...but it's always good fun with friends...even the blowout losses.

Thanks for posting this...you made my freaking day :D

PvP isn't evil -- it just should never be required of those who don't care for it, or stand as a content gate, in an otherwise PvE-centric game.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

• 3 weeks later...
And that is why people don't like pvp right there.

PvP gear is cheap, 190 gear as well. So the reason they are not wearing it in to a warzone, is because they didn't bother reading or finding out.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8668225#post8668225

I get first time, but some of them come repeatedly to get the companion this way, even in unranked they are burden, so if you don't bother to learn or find **** out, be prepared to get yelled at...i do not insult properly geared players for level or skill, but basics, must be there! And as i said, there are 2 options for that.

PvP gear is cheap, 190 gear as well. So the reason they are not wearing it in to a warzone, is because they didn't bother reading or finding out.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8668225#post8668225

I get first time, but some of them come repeatedly to get the companion this way, even in unranked they are burden, so if you don't bother to learn or find **** out, be prepared to get yelled at...i do not insult properly geared players for level or skill, but basics, must be there! And as i said, there are 2 options for that.

Eventually I plan on doing some pvp, but won't have much in the way of pvp gear to start with, and the ones there for the companion is more the fault of the devs because they added that requirement.

Pretty sure, but may be wrong, that you can't buy pvp gear with pve coms.

Eventually I plan on doing some pvp, but won't have much in the way of pvp gear to start with, and the ones there for the companion is more the fault of the devs because they added that requirement.

Pretty sure, but may be wrong, that you can't buy pvp gear with pve coms.

You can buy 190 rated green gear without wz comms and that will let you bolster to 1936, which is the highest possible without the pvp crystals in pvp weapons. At that point you'll be competitive, though still an underdog to someone in a fully augmented, min/max 208 PVP set.

You can buy 190 rated green gear without wz comms and that will let you bolster to 1936, which is the highest possible without the pvp crystals in pvp weapons. At that point you'll be competitive, though still an underdog to someone in a fully augmented, min/max 208 PVP set.

Already made the crystals for it, and thanks for the info, if you don't mind my asking, where do I get them at?

Already made the crystals for it, and thanks for the info, if you don't mind my asking, where do I get them at?

On fleet, Supply section, there is a "Level 60 modification vendor" that sells rating 190 green mods for your gear.

Thanks, they have the gear needed to start off in pvp? Thought those vendors only sold pve mods.

He is talking about the WZ bolstering expertise on your gear, without actually having it on your mods. If you que to WZ on any gear level you will always have some amount of expertise coming with the bolster, this gear level is currently the best for bolster expertise for before you can afford the actual pvp gear.

And friendly advice, when you do scrape up the wz comms, invest in relics first, then setbonus ;)

He is talking about the WZ bolstering expertise on your gear, without actually having it on your mods. If you que to WZ on any gear level you will always have some amount of expertise coming with the bolster, this gear level is currently the best for bolster expertise for before you can afford the actual pvp gear.

And friendly advice, when you do scrape up the wz comms, invest in relics first, then setbonus ;)

Ok, I will remember that. My gear is all a bit better than that, but can get another set of armor and get those mods for starting off in.

So I'm just going to post this in case it helps clarify anything. I'm not sure if you know all this already or not, and if you do, I mean no offense by it. There may be others who don't know.

In warzones, the MOST IMPORTANT stat is Expertise. This is more important than Endurance, Mastery, Power, or anything else. It governs how damage you deal to other players, take from other players, mitigate from other players, reduce from other players, and how heals given and received in warzones scales with your other stats.

Expertise caps at 2018. When entering a WZ, you want to get as close to that number as possible.

There are two ways to do this:

1. PVP gear. The "starter" PVP gear is rating 204, has set bonuses, and can be obtained in the combat training section of the fleet in exchange for warzone commendations. When you get it you'll see your Expertise is at 1936. You'll need to get 2 crystals, both with +41 Expertise, one for your main hand and one for your offhand. 2018-1936=82. 41+41=82. That means the crystals are the difference.

2. Bolster. Bolster is a (admittedly faulty) system unique to SWTOR that attempts to bridge the gap between players wearing Expertise gear and those without. It grants Expertise but with a limitation. It won't grant Expertise to gear beyond a certain level (currently green 190) and it won't let you mix/match PVP and PVE gear (with some advanced-user only exceptions). This means that because you'll actually be penalized for putting a +41 Expertise cyrstal into a PvE main or offhand slot, Bolster caps out at 1936 instead of 2018. Hopefully this will be fixed since it wasn't this way in 3.0 but we haven't heard.

TL;DR. There are 2 ways to get 1936-2018 Expertise, which should be the goal when entering a warzone. 1. PVP gear, obtained via WZ comms. 2. Green rating 190 or lower PVE gear using the Bolster system.

Don't waste resources on trying to change this BW. Just leave it as it is. People on here crapping their pants could have had it done by now, but are now just here so they can get their army of alts through it.

Not every PvP player has full pvp gear, lvl 40 valor on all their toons. We have to complete matches just like you.

I am not going to spend a single credit on gear that is worse than the ones I am wearing, I already upgraded to 208 and 216 gear so I am not going backwards to "assist" in an activity I don't even care about.

I am not going to spend a single credit on gear that is worse than the ones I am wearing, I already upgraded to 208 and 216 gear so I am not going backwards to "assist" in an activity I don't even care about.

They should make an option to turn common crystals into warzone comms. I know that many wouldn't use it just like there is almost nobody who goes comms to crystals. It would allow people to spend their crystals in getting pvp gear and having a chance in their matches.

However, this community doesn't even want to participate. BW should tie an achievement and title for obtaining the companion as intended and then throw an option for people who just want to skip. Everyone can be happy

1) Special recognition for doing pvp to obtain companions

2) PvE don't have to do pvp

3) Pvp don't have to do deal with pve people

4) All get companion

Having just spent 1.5 hours on 5 warzones, all losses, I'm going to have to agree that this quest was super poorly thought out.

I'm not going to win anything because all the people on the republic side are currently only even in PvP for this quest, we have no real chance of winning and nobody is going to bother getting a new set of gear just so they don't die instantly when they step inside a forced PvP activity.

Extrapolating from this, it's going to take 6 hours total to finish the entire quest, that's 6 hours of incredibly frustrating ******** that has nothing to do with the companion I want to unlock, at all.

For comparison, the second slowest companion to unlock is Qyzen, which can easily be done in 1 to 1.5 hours of solo grinding those jagganath mobs.

This is dumb, just make it 5 warzones regardless of wins and losses to balance it between factions (because on my server, I don't think the republic ever wins any warzones), and call it a day. Then it takes 1.5 hours, just like Qyzen, and we can all get on with our day doing stuff we actually enjoy.

Edit:

Also, why does this quest require more matches than the goddamn weekly of the same kind? Are you expected to grind for this companion for more than a week? Why? What makes him so special?

Edited by Theik

So first off there should be an option to refuse the quest entirely, allowing you to progress beyond this alert to the next one for people who don't want to PvP but still want access to the rest of the questline.

That being said I actually really like that they have gated some companions behind areas of the game that don't see as much traffic. Before Quezen i had never done a world boss, but that was fun, before 4X I had never done PvP, now I have a full set of 204s and am working on 208 set of PvP gear and try to do the daily every day. I like that they are trying to get players to try different things to see what they like. I am 100% Ok with them gating any companion behind some minigame or alternate playstyle that you need to try out to get them, I am hoping for a GSF comp. and a Space mission Comp quest in the future.

That being said 20 is probably way too many. 5 would probably be better, enough to let you find out if you like it but not enough to be hideously awful if you find you hate it.

They should make an option to turn common crystals into warzone comms. I know that many wouldn't use it just like there is almost nobody who goes comms to crystals. It would allow people to spend their crystals in getting pvp gear and having a chance in their matches.

However, this community doesn't even want to participate. BW should tie an achievement and title for obtaining the companion as intended and then throw an option for people who just want to skip. Everyone can be happy

1) Special recognition for doing pvp to obtain companions

2) PvE don't have to do pvp

3) Pvp don't have to do deal with pve people

4) All get companion

Actually I have nearly no comms left I spent it all on the 208+ gear, so even if I was that way inclined I have none.

Almost half way, so I might be able to get this nonsense done today. In the meantime I've made 20 warzones pretty much that much worse for my teammates because I spent 90% of my time CC'd or dead on the ground.

Yay, smart quest design.