The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, remove the PvP from the quest to get M1-4X.

NogueiraA

Again.

A fair option would be to tie an achievement for doing the PvP route.

Players who took the time to experience PvP content get rewarded and those who just want the companion can still do so.

There needs to be a difference though. I get it pve heroes want their droid, but the intent was to do pvp to earn the droid's respect. If you can circumvent it go ahead, but those who did the pvp should have a reward that skipping doesn't get. Like Nico for example.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the kicker though. My alliance is weaker unless i get that companion from a story point of view. Just like my alliance is weaker if as an example

i kill tanno vik

At least though by doing the above i had a choice that wasn't forced upon me.

And to the person whom mentioned multiple companions out...what? It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with making the alliance i have been working towards and building throughout 9 chapters stronger - strengthening my position in the STORY because KoTFE is a story and my alliance is an important part of that, so why would i want to make an important story element weaker because of a bad design decision when, up until that point i had choices for everything else that were consitent with the rest of the game.

Show me any other point in the game where i had to PvP to get a companion after all?

Technically you didn't even HAVE an alliance when you did what you did in the spoiler above. So that choice was made completely outside "making your alliance stronger". I don't see people ************ about that (note: I killed him too). I get that a lot of people hate PVP, I don't particularly care for it either. But I'm not concerned about not getting Pierce. I just don't care about him. You know what you have to do if you do. I wouldn't expect that to change any more than I would expect them to change how you get Qyzen Fess, which is another time consuming headache for some.

The choice itself was forced on you though. You had to make a choice in the moment. Kill <blank> or let him live.

Similarly, you have to make a choice here. Recruit <blank> by completing the requirements or don't.

You have a choice. You have a conflict of preferences. Fine. But you do have a choice.

There's a (quite fine) distinction i think you are overlooking - with the above example i got to the point where i had that choice just by playing PVE and was therefore able to make that choice to make myself weaker without impacting (or being impacted) by anyone else - KoTFE is after all a solo story.

But for Pierce/Forex all of a sudden i am forced into a gameplay type i have no interest in, to even get to that choice when previously, no other companions have needed it (had alternatives or were only ever acquirable through PvE play) and my story hasn't forced me to have to wreck anyone elses preferred gameplay - and make an important story element of mine weaker as a result.

Forcing PvP'ers to suffer through games with and against unhappy, forced pver's is bad design and as one poster in the last page or so has shown will cause people to stop paying for the game. I might think the person is sill for quitting (just) over that but that's their right and i cretainly understand their frustration if PvP is to them the playstyle they enjoy.

No, It's not like that... 60 warzones I could see a pve player once in a while, 65 have 4+ pve players EVERY match.

TBH, even the "PvP players" are garbage most of the time. I'm not doing reg warzones for the competitive atmosphere. The combat in this game is just enjoyable and sometimes I prefer live opponents to scripted fights.

We don't know it doesn't either :rolleyes:

Fact is, my alliance will be lacking an officer from my faction that has skills and experience that would be an asset to my alliance, therefore it is weaker - in a game (type) where making your character (and powerbase) stronger is the whole means of progression. Gating someone behind a PvP grind in a PvE centric game is bad design and i and others who feel similarly just want an option that doesn't force us into ruining what other people enjoy - PvP or be weaker for refusing to do it.

All of the comps are the same, just different skins.

Again.

A fair option would be to tie an achievement for doing the PvP route.

Players who took the time to experience PvP content get rewarded and those who just want the companion can still do so.

There needs to be a difference though. I get it pve heroes want their droid, but the intent was to do pvp to earn the droid's respect. If you can circumvent it go ahead, but those who did the pvp should have a reward that skipping doesn't get. Like Nico for example.

I'd be perfectly fine with that tbqh.

All of the comps are the same, just different skins.

Yeah, I totally remember when Yunn asked me to gather artifacts on Yavin 4.

Or when Talos Drellik sent me to hunt Jagannath targets.

Companions are and will always be characters with history.

You may not care and consider them to be just skins, but please accept that others don't.

Yeah, I totally remember when Yunn asked me to gather artifacts on Yavin 4.

Or when Talos Drellik sent me to hunt Jagannath targets.

Companions are and will always be characters with history.

You may not care and consider them to be just skins, but please accept that others don't.

In that vein, M1-4X and Pierce are patriots to their factions. To re-earn their allegiance they want you to take to the frontlines.

But the more important thing is that they are functionally identical. That's what the person you replied to meant.

Edited by azudelphi

But for Pierce/Forex all of a sudden i am forced into a gameplay type i have no interest in, to even get to that choice when previously, no other companions have needed it (had alternatives or were only ever acquirable through PvE play) and my story hasn't forced me to have to wreck anyone elses preferred gameplay - and make an important story element of mine weaker as a result.

The choice to engage in the gameplay or not is still the choice to recruit or not.

In that vein, M1-4X and Pierce are patriots to their factions. To re-earn their allegiance they want you to take to the frontlines.

But the more important thing is that they are functionally identical. That's what the person you replied to meant.

I could dispute that (Again) but it neither fits the context of the expansion nor their personalities.

I could dispute that (Again) but it neither fits the context of the expansion nor their personalities.

Highly subjective to claim to "know" their motives. Myself included. That's why the important thing to take away is that functionally all companions are identical. Functionally having the companion has no bearing on the Alliance. So... until the point those items change, companions are cosmetic collectibles. The rest is subjective.

Highly subjective to claim to "know" their motives. Myself included. That's why the important thing to take away is that functionally all companions are identical. Functionally having the companion has no bearing on the Alliance. So... until the point those items change, companions are cosmetic collectibles. The rest is subjective.

It's not about their motives. It's their methods. Neither of them are trained or used to large scales battles. They are, respectively, a spec-ops ranking officier who spends his whole companion story mounting a hand-picked team to assault a specific target that nearly turned the war around (Without manipulation from the Star Cabal, the Bastion would have assured the success of the Empire on Corellia.). Last I know, none of the Warzones ever had any lasting impacts on the storyline, won or lost.

As for M1-4X, his whole string of conversations focus on taking down selected ViP targets. He in fact dismisses participating in mass battles because their overall impact on morale are minor.

As for context, I think they should have use the quest to refocus the factions on the Eternal Empire by being tasked to hunt major Imp-Pub targets who actively oppose the end of their mutual conflict (Maybe giving a moral choice there, between convincing the targets and just shooting them), instead of stupidly sending us to fan the flames of a war that should be stopped by all means.

Doing 20 warzones for Pearce is more easy than what's required for Qyzen. World bosses or those champion things where I have no idea where to find them. All you need to do is to queue up.

You may not like being forced to do pvp bit have some thought for those pvpers who don't like spending ages trying for some time to make progress with Qyzen and not getting anywhere....

No sympathy.

20 warzones vs 3 world bosses when groups where all over Hoth, a planet with 2 on the list?

I waited longer for my first group than I did to kill 2 bosses on Hoth.

I've done 4 matches for Pierce. I probably won't do any for 4X because I don't play my Pubs that much and rarely pvp with them.

I actually did the PvP to get Pierce for my main (Agent) because I THOUGHT that I could choose between him or Qyzen to get the Doctor Lokin alert.

NOPE.

I STILL had to acquire stupid Qyzen and his stupid 20 pelts to get his stupid face as part of my stupid Alliance just to get Doctor Lokin, WHO IS A COMPANION I ACTUALLY WANT. And I can't even get him until the next Rakghoul event.

In other words, I PvP'd to get Doctor Lokin.

My assessment: I hate PvP. I always have. I am purely a PVE player. I'll DO it if it's necessary and I even got a full set of basic gear just in case I have to do it in the future. But I don't like it. Nothing against the people who do, and I thank the people who voted for me for the MVP trophy (I think that's what it was?) but, yeah. Too much stress.

Nothing to add here in the argument. But I suppose my statement here is rather telling: I'll do whatever needs to be done to get what companion I want. Make of that what you will.

Edited by AngFour

Oh look. Another thread that is upset about PVP players getting rewards too!

Funny how PVP players seem to be more sensible about this and not complain at all for having to do PVE and crafting content for companions.

I actually did the PvP to get Pierce for my main (Agent) because I THOUGHT that I could choose between him or Quyzen to get the Doctor Lokin alert.

NOPE.

I STILL had to acquire stupid Quyzen and his stupid 20 pelts to get his stupid face as part of my stupid Alliance just to get Doctor Lokin, WHO IS A COMPANION I ACTUALLY WANT. And I can't even get him until the next Rakghoul event.

In other words, I PvP'd to get Doctor Lokin.

My assessment: I hate PvP. I always have. I am purely a PVE player. I'll DO it if it's necessary and I even got a full set of basic gear just in case I have to do it in the future. But I don't like it. Nothing against the people who do, and I thank the people who voted for me for the MVP trophy (I think that's what it was?) but, yeah. Too much stress.

Nothing to add here in the argument. But I suppose my statement here is rather telling: I'll do whatever needs to be done to get what companion I want. Make of that what you will.

I'm fairly sure it counts the companions you get for clearing the Heroics. I got the quest for Lokin without ever visiting Forex and only have Qyzen, Yuun, and Talos as companions. I already had the Alderaan companion though when his mission was available on my Sage.

No one is objecting to there being PvP or having PvP players be rewarded for their time. What we're objecting to is being forced into PvP to get something for PvE that only affects PvE and up until a week ago had NEVER been the kind of PvE content gated behind a PvP grind. Belittling us because you don't agreee doesn't make your opinion any more valid than ours though and some of us can have differing opinions without a need to be rude and derrogatory.

I'm fairly sure it counts the companions you get for clearing the Heroics. I got the quest for Lokin without ever visiting Forex and only have Qyzen, Yuun, and Talos as companions. I already had the Alderaan companion though when his mission was available on my Sage.

Right, that was my point. I DON'T WANT QYZEN, so I bit the bullet and did PvP to get Pierce instead, only to find out that I STILL HAD TO DO QYZEN'S stuff to get Lokin's alert to pop (I had everyone else: Xalec (sp?), Talos, Yuun, and I beat all the star fortresses, so I got THOSE companions as well. NOPE.

(You got Lokin's alert because Qyzen auto joins you, seeing as he was originally your companion.)

Qyzen is mandatory to get Doctor Lokin's alert.

So, I didn't PvP for Pierce (who is "meh" in my books). I PvP'd for Doctor Lokin (a character who I find much more tolerable and somewhat likeable), only to find out it was pointless.

But at least I have Pierce as my PvP trophy *shrug*

Edited by AngFour

No one is objecting to there being PvP or having PvP players be rewarded for their time. What we're objecting to is being forced into PvP to get something for PvE that only affects PvE and up until a week ago had NEVER been the kind of PvE content gated behind a PvP grind. Belittling us because you don't agreee doesn't make your opinion any more valid than ours though and some of us can have differing opinions without a need to be rude and derrogatory.

Except there is no opinion in the following:

- Companions are 100% cosmetic when it comes to pure functionality

- M1-4X and Pierce do not presently affect any other story

- M1-4X and Pierce do not prevent the recruitment of other companions

- Obtaining M1-4X and Pierce is purely driven by desire, not function

As such, there is no one being forced to do PVP. There is a choice to do what is needed for M1-4X and Pierce or don't do it. Unfortunately, so long as the term "forced" keeps getting thrown around incorrectly, you will have people calling you out on it.

Opinion: All aspects of the game should give way to new / old companions; PVP included.

Edited by azudelphi

Except there is no opinion in the following:

- Companions are 100% cosmetic when it comes to pure functionality

- M1-4X and Pierce do not presently affect any other story

- M1-4X and Pierce do not prevent the recruitment of other companions

- Obtaining M1-4X and Pierce is purely driven by desire, not function

As such, there is no one being forced to do PVP. There is a choice to do what is needed for M1-4X and Pierce or don't do it. Unfortunately, so long as the term "forced" keeps getting thrown around incorrectly, you will have people calling you out on it.

Opinion: All aspects of the game should give way to new / old companions; PVP included.

Sure there is Forex is a droid with a unique personality that, say T7 does not have. He is unique and would fulfill a different role in my Alliance to T7. T7 would be suited to infiltration and covert sabotage for instance, where as Forex would be a heavy hitter that would go toe to toe with enemies happily whilst working for my alliance. That to us makes them important, hence why this thread even exists.

Just becase you and others seem to not care about those distinctions in a story driven, pve centric game doesn't invalidate that there's people like me who do give a damn about it. Even though they may be functionally the same, they bring something different to a companion or follower who could fill the same role to our alliance and thus gameplay because of their unique aesthetics and backgrounds.

I do enjoy people saying the game is only 1% PvP and then getting mad when 1% of the time PvP is required to do something totally optional.

Indeed.

Guys, it's cosmetic.

Its optional.

You want it you work for it.

The game is not purely PVE. Expect PVP to have rewards too.

If you want those shiny Ranked cosmetics you need to do Rakned. Want that cosmetic companion from that PVP quest? Do PVP.