The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, please tell me that you're planning to release atleast 2 chapters a month

Aeristash

As one who has completed all nine chapters of kotfe, I have to say... while the story, characters, romance, emotional depth and cinematics were of top notch design, the chapters were too short for my liking. It took me 13-14 hours to finish 1-9

(and that's factoring all the sky trooper wave fights).

I started around 12 noon and when I checked the clock after the ending it was shockingly already 1am the next day. That's how amazing, immersive and engaging the chapters were for me. But it also presents a bit of a problem for the future... if it took me a little over half a day to complete all 9 chapters, it will be nothing to finish one new chapter on a monthly basis. The production rate coupled with the chapter lengths is like sprinkling a few drops of ice water in my face after I've been traversing the desert all day. It makes me feel frustrated & annoyed and quite frankly, it just isn't enough. You devs are going to at the very least need to increase the length per chapter or church out 2 of them so I feel like I'm getting a meal and not just appetizers to whet my appetite for the next month.

Thanks for listening. :)

Edited by Aeristash

2 chapters a month?... With 30 mins per chapter?... My wife and I did chapters 1-9 in about 6-7 hours and we were taking our time watching all the cut scenes...

We should get atleast 2 chapters a week... Other wise what are we supposed to do after our 1 hour of story per month... We have had no new pvp content to keep us busy and ops and FPs are pretty much the same...

5-9 chapters per month still wouldn't be enough for me... But it should be enough for the more casual crowd that bio seem to want to attract... People like myself who will watch a whole TV box set season in one sitting will never have enough story content... But there isn't really enough here for the casual players either... Once they've done 1-9 chapters, if they don't have new content fast, and enough of it, they'll just cancel the sub and move on...

This is where this story content direction Bio are moving in is flawed... People usually come to an MMO for the story content, but stay because of the other extra content that an MMO provides... ie pvp, raids, flash points, etc... The end game is a solo game only... There is no need for grouping, if anything it is detrimental if you do group as you have to do the same things multiple times for each person... Swtor can no longer be classified as an MMO... It's a story game with some side games that won't get any love moving forward and will die off...

Please don't get me wrong, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the story and quality of the cinematics... But it was too quick...

As the game is now pretty much a story based game only... More than the 1 chapter per 4-5 weeks will need to be released to keep people playing... Or the chapter content will need to have about 9 hours worth of play...

Personally I can't see that happening as it would cost way too much or they would have to water down the quality to churn out the content, which would ruin the experience...

I think Bio have put all their eggs in one basket by moving in this direction, but the basket only has 9 eggs and there are 100s of people to feed... It might have been better if they had kept some of the eggs and hatched the chickens so they could have produced more eggs... ie, pvp eggs and raid/FP eggs...

Yes they said they are releasing one chapter a month from January. However, they have not stated yet if they will include new flash points, ops or pvp arenas. Yes we can only hope with the shortness of the chapters, they'll either increase the length or coincide it with end game stuff. Who can tell till after winter break.

2 chapters a month?... With 30 mins per chapter?... My wife and I did chapters 1-9 in about 6-7 hours and we were taking our time watching all the cut scenes...

We should get atleast 2 chapters a week... Other wise what are we supposed to do after our 1 hour of story per month... We have had no new pvp content to keep us busy and ops and FPs are pretty much the same...

5-9 chapters per month still wouldn't be enough for me... But it should be enough for the more casual crowd that bio seem to want to attract... People like myself who will watch a whole TV box set season in one sitting will never have enough story content... But there isn't really enough here for the casual players either... Once they've done 1-9 chapters, if they don't have new content fast, and enough of it, they'll just cancel the sub and move on...

This is where this story content direction Bio are moving in is flawed... People usually come to an MMO for the story content, but stay because of the other extra content that an MMO provides... ie pvp, raids, flash points, etc... The end game is a solo game only... There is no need for grouping, if anything it is detrimental if you do group as you have to do the same things multiple times for each person... Swtor can no longer be classified as an MMO... It's a story game with some side games that won't get any love moving forward and will die off...

Please don't get me wrong, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the story and quality of the cinematics... But it was too quick...

As the game is now pretty much a story based game only... More than the 1 chapter per 4-5 weeks will need to be released to keep people playing... Or the chapter content will need to have about 9 hours worth of play...

Personally I can't see that happening as it would cost way too much or they would have to water down the quality to churn out the content, which would ruin the experience...

I think Bio have put all their eggs in one basket by moving in this direction, but the basket only has 9 eggs and there are 100s of people to feed... It might have been better if they had kept some of the eggs and hatched the chickens so they could have produced more eggs... ie, pvp eggs and raid/FP eggs...

While 2 chapters a week would be the ideal, I'm not sure if it would be possible since it took them almost a year just to give us the 9. Not sure what, but something about making them seems to be time consuming, which is why I just suggested the 2. :p

But yeah, I could also go through another 9 of them and still be left wanting. Which is why 30 min to an hour of content every month just isn't going to satiate me. If the devs give a good 3-5 hours per chapter, then I could suffice with month to month. I hope they tailor the game plan during this break. And speaking of which... They sure picked a fine time to go on break.

Just as me & lana officiate our relationship, the chapter ends and the devs are on break for 2 months. Dang it!!!!! They should've stopped on chapter 10.

:(

While I did love the storyline... I was sad that it was so short.

I sure hope the "Monthly" doesn't pull a BW/EA gradual time slip to every 5 weeks, then 6 weeks then 8 weeks...

And time is equal to the shortest of these Chapters (1 for example).

Folks will just bail out and come back every 4-6 months to catch up and then logout again. LOL

You guys are like junkies,

Seriously look at Game of Thrones by telltale games. They release a chapter like every 3 months and the last chapter has not been released yet and its been more then that.

Their chapters are like 2 hours at best, and that is a major title game.

Consider yourself lucky with what we got

While 2 chapters a week would be the ideal, I'm not sure if it would be possible since it took them almost a year just to give us the 9. Not sure what, but something about making them seems to be time consuming, which is why I just suggested the 2. :p

But yeah, I could also go through another 9 of them and still be left wanting. Which is why 30 min to an hour of content every month just isn't going to satiate me. If the devs give a good 3-5 hours per chapter, then I could suffice with month to month. I hope they tailor the game plan during this break. And speaking of which... They sure picked a fine time to go on break.

Just as me & lana officiate our relationship, the chapter ends and the devs are on break for 2 months. Dang it!!!!! They should've stopped on chapter 10.

:(

I think you missed the tone and under lying point which was that story mode for this game isn't enough... It's obvious enough they can't produce 2 chapters a week...

The game direction to story mode at the expense of the other parts of the game like pvp and pve OPs is a very stupid move... The small amount of story they can produce monthly will certainly not keep people in the game... Once you've done the 9 chapters and all the heroic 2+ quests (which you can have all done in a week), there is no point sticking around unless you pvp or do OPs... So seeing as how they aren't going to be adding new content for these parts of the game and will pretty much let it die out...

You should now be able to see the point I am trying to make... ie, they've made a huge mistake putting all of their eggs in the story only model... They really need to rethink this and divert some resources or hire more people, but EA accountants who run the game are stupid and won't do this... And it's not like they won't cash in with all the movie hype... If ever there was a time to really build the game up, it is now... They should be planning to have story and pvp/pve at close to the same lvls and then they could really cash in if that is all they care about... But accounts don't understand that you need to spend money to make money... All they do is take away to give bigger profit on what they already have instead of increasing the earnings and then getting a bigger profit... The biggest mistake with this whole adventure with story mode to cash in on the movie hype is that lots of pvp and pve people have left... And when the new "fly by night" gamers leave after doing the story and realise they have nothing else to do while they wait a month, the game fails badly... They have no long term plans, it's about quick cash and who cares if the game fails 3 months after the movie... Upper EA strategic management need to go back to business school or let the gamers, who used to run and dev at Bio, have control of the game again... Gamer Devs know what gamers want and how to listen (normally)...

Those bone heads at EA look at meta data instead understanding what people want... ie when that EA clown announced they went to story mode because that's what the meta data showed most people were playing, he didn't take into account that pvpers have been leaving because we've had zero love for 2 years, no class balance and no cross server... Also that pve ops people leave because the content gets stale... So the "meta" data is skewed because it doesn't take into account all those people who left because they were pissed off about pvp and to a lesser extent OPs content... What they should have been looking at is why those people leave and why the "meta" data changed...

Bottom line, they need to add some pvp and ops content or the game will be dead 6 months after the movie

And as for them going on holidays now... LMAO... That is the dumbest move in the history of dumb moves... The movie will be out in December... They should be ramping up production to a new height to take advantage of the hype... Not going on holidays... They can sleep when their dead... LOL... Not really... But they should be schedualing holidays in February and not when their current business model needs them the most

You guys are like junkies,

Seriously look at Game of Thrones by telltale games. They release a chapter like every 3 months and the last chapter has not been released yet and its been more then that.

Their chapters are like 2 hours at best, and that is a major title game.

Consider yourself lucky with what we got

Who even plays that rubbish... LoL... I haven't even heard of it... Plus this is an MMO or it used to be... We could all handle 1 chapter every 4-5 weeks if they kept it as an MMO and put some resources back into pvp and pve OPs... Nothing to do for 5 weeks, one 30min chapter, lol... No thanks

Honestly I'd prefer a KOTFE part 2 and release everything at once early-mid next year. But I guess splitting chapters up leaves more room for alliance stuff between chapters, have a feeling the alliance might actually be important like you know Mass Effect 3 readiness or something, if not then it will be disapointing Edited by Newyankalt

The PVE (raids) PVP part of this game has never been good, and never will be. The game engine/lack of resources(man power) has seen to that. This game was not built on the premise of a sprawling world with engaging PVP, or great and tactical raids. It was built with a cheap engine to tailor story telling, with a side of MMO.

Bioware is putting what little resources they have left, into the part of the game that SWTOR was built for, and does well.

The raid/PVP part of this game will never be good. It would require a rebuild from the ground up with a new engine; and a new development team focused on such aspects of the game.

Edited by jakeobione

One chapter a month is a massive step up from....... what's the rate been on new story content so far? Also, we don't know what the size/length each chapter will be. Some are definitely shorter than others of the current bunch. Of course I too would prefer more each time, but for all I know the next chapter can be 3-4 hours which is equivalent to what several of the current chapters are put together.

Not sure it would be wise for Bioware to release several chapters a month though. Supposedly they have a QA team, but it must be very overworked and probably can't handle much more than their current workload...

Who even plays that rubbish... LoL... I haven't even heard of it... Plus this is an MMO or it used to be... We could all handle 1 chapter every 4-5 weeks if they kept it as an MMO and put some resources back into pvp and pve OPs... Nothing to do for 5 weeks, one 30min chapter, lol... No thanks

Well, apparantly, in 2013, their Walking Dead franchise sold 21 million episodes in total...

but hey, what's 21 million compared to you not having heard of it? :rolleyes:

I prefer that they take a month or more to release something with great quality, rather than fast and poor quality content. Give them their time. Also, I read somewhere that anyone was suggesting 2 chapters per week. That is just insane, put yourself in the shoes of the developers to make a picture of what needs to be done in one single week. The developers as far as I know aren't machines. They are humans. Just imagine the pressure. :rak_04:

I much prefer the story chapters, to say, yet another operation I'll never play. I don't have the time or desire to grind out raiding gear, especially since the reward is only to do the same raid more efficiently. It's worthless otherwise, on an open world pvp server. Raiding is very ten years ago, for me.

as one who has completed all nine chapters of kotfe, i have to say... While the story, characters, romance, emotional depth and cinematics were of top notch design, the chapters were too short for my liking. It took me 13-14 hours to finish 1-9

....since when is taking 13-14 hours to finish short!?

Yeah, I finished all the recruitment alliance things, all the new "flashpoints" and the story within 7 hours watching everything. Now I am sitting there like, well, what now?

One chapter a month is a massive step up from....... what's the rate been on new story content so far? Also, we don't know what the size/length each chapter will be. Some are definitely shorter than others of the current bunch. Of course I too would prefer more each time, but for all I know the next chapter can be 3-4 hours which is equivalent to what several of the current chapters are put together.

Not sure it would be wise for Bioware to release several chapters a month though. Supposedly they have a QA team, but it must be very overworked and probably can't handle much more than their current workload...

That is the EXACT same thing people said when KotFE was announced "Oh they will be bigger, just you watch, we don't know anything yet" And what did we get, 7 Chapters that were half the size of ziost and 2 chapters that were not even a quarter the size of ziost.

NO, be happy with what you get dude!

I see so many people complaining about being "done" with the expansion after a few hours. I've been playing the expansion at a moderate pace for a few days and am hardly done. Have I seen the STORY chapters? yes.. but I still have all these companions to locate and all the planetary star things to gain control of. Not to mention all the new decos I need, crafting to sort out etc.. So I'm far from being done. Matter of fact for free content I think it's quite a bit. I think it's absolutely retarded that people think they are done with the content. That's like turning the pages of a book - looking at every picture and saying ur done reading the book. To me - it's VERY OBVIOUS they SPECIFICALLY released to chapter 9 to get you to the new planet and get you into your new base. The story was ONLY DEVELOPEMENT till that point. I believe the REST of what they release will be the actual CONTENT of the expac and the "doing it" part of the game. So far it's just been plot development more or less. How can you not see this. So chill out and go outside if you think ur done. There's this thing called the sun you know......

I see so many people complaining about being "done" with the expansion after a few hours. I've been playing the expansion at a moderate pace for a few days and am hardly done. Have I seen the STORY chapters? yes.. but I still have all these companions to locate and all the planetary star things to gain control of. Not to mention all the new decos I need, crafting to sort out etc.. So I'm far from being done. Matter of fact for free content I think it's quite a bit. I think it's absolutely retarded that people think they are done with the content. That's like turning the pages of a book - looking at every picture and saying ur done reading the book. To me - it's VERY OBVIOUS they SPECIFICALLY released to chapter 9 to get you to the new planet and get you into your new base. The story was ONLY DEVELOPEMENT till that point. I believe the REST of what they release will be the actual CONTENT of the expac and the "doing it" part of the game. So far it's just been plot development more or less. How can you not see this. So chill out and go outside if you think ur done. There's this thing called the sun you know......

Reading this post just reiterates how gullible this player base is to this game.