The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware?? Why didn't you listen in the beta??

MajikMyst

I stopped after page 3, and haven't yet started KFE, so if I may be missing or repeating something, but as long as the classes are getting all of thier companions back, will end up with enough companions to do the stuff they are needed for, and there is no mechanical advantage to just having these companions then so what?

A Jedi knight or bounty hunter would never have Forex before so what does it matter if they do not get him now?

There are achievements linked to PvP and crafting and taking down world bosses and whatever else, so if the only thing missing is an achievement then why is that suddenly an issue when you were willing to pass on all of those other achievements before?

Again, this is all assuming that you get all of the class companions back and otherwise have plenty of ways to get enough companions to fill all the needed slots for the game things.

If each companion gives me a 1% bonus to everything then yeah it's a problem, but if they are just going to be sitting around doing nothing (or leaving some other companion I have with nothing to do) and nets me nothing but an achievement then why is this a big deal?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe BW thinks that if some of you whining Princesses try a little PvP you may realise it isn't as scary as you think and grow a pair.

Remember... it's called Star WARs, so shuddup and do your part!

Ahhh, how refreshing! Insulting those who don't like your favored content! What if I tell you it isn't fear but disgust at the general behavior of PvP players and lack of interest in competition in general that keeps me from engaging in PvP more than one in a million years.

By the way "Do our part"? I don't think it's the countless repeats of the Battle of Alderaan or Huttball matches that advanced the war in the plot (You know, the part where the WAR is actually touched upon?).

And even if you were joking I don't care, I'm tired of PvPers thinking they can freely insult people who don't play their favorite gamemode. It fell upon you, sadly.

Ahhh, how refreshing! Insulting those who don't like your favored content! What if I tell you it isn't fear but disgust at the general behavior of PvP players and lack of interest in competition in general that keeps me from engaging in PvP more than one in a million years.

By the way "Do our part"? I don't think it's the countless repeats of the Battle of Alderaan or Huttball matches that advanced the war in the plot (You know, the part where the WAR is actually touched upon?).

And even if you were joking I don't care, I'm tired of PvPers thinking they can freely insult people who don't play their favorite gamemode. It fell upon you, sadly.

Ahhh how refreshing! Insulting the general behavior of PvP'ers. What if i told you I'm sick of the PvE players making blanket statements like that implying we are all douchebags.

When was the last time you even tried it?

The fights are what you make of them, you go in with a crap attitude and your going to have a crap time. Try and be a little open minded for a change, try new specs and tactics to see what fits and you might find you enjoy it.

Sure your going to get rolled by premades and sometime get stuck on a team full of 1 man heroes who refuse to work as a team... but you will also have some fun you are otherwise missing out on.

Tell me about it, i am unable to pvp due to a lovely heart condition (cant handle to much stress) so peirce is not going to be gotten by me untill i figure a way to do 20 WZ

You might want to try something I've been doing. See, I...to put lightly, hate PvP, a lot and have no desire to do it. However in order to pay for my subscription I babysit my cousins. Since this update went live and I learned about the PvP requirements to unlock those two characters, I've simply let the two I'm currently watching after school for their parents (seven and thirteen) play the Warzones for me.

I know that at minimum, they *cant* do worse than me, and in fact they might do better than me. But the real beauty is that in a way I'm now being paid to have them play for me to get those two companions ^^

I'd just like to offer my perspective, and only hope it can make it less of a chore to step into PVP, even for a short time (forgive the length, TLDR at the bottom). I was also anti-social when the game came out as it was my first MMO and the only reason I played it was for my love of KOTOR. I literally had chat turned off for two years and simply played through all soloable story content, always declining Heroic missions, and had no idea things like Operations and Warzones existed. Other than the occasional player running across my screen at a distance, I was alone and I liked it that way.

On one of my alts I hit a point where my level was not high enough to get past a couple of missions on Voss, no matter how many different ways I went at it. So I stopped playing her and made a new alt, and on this one I told myself I'll do some of the Heroics so I don't reach that point again, but I'm not doing anything else. Turned out Heroics were a lot of fun and the "new" content to me made the game fresh again after two years. So I never skipped the Heroics on subsequent toons, and grouping was actually more fun than playing alone 100% of the time.

Eventually I got into running Flashpoints with GF and again realized I was missing out on a lot of fun content before by skipping all of it. Same thing with HM FPs, which scared me at first but they grew on me as well. At some point someone in a PUG asked me to join their guild. This was also something I had been avoiding. The guys on at the time were super friendly and asked me to join in a Warzone. Considering my previous experience (and if you share the anxiety of grouping with strangers) you can guess I did not go willingly into PVP for the first time.

They finally convinced me to join and the first match was pure chaos to me (it was a Voidstar match, super-confusing when it's your first time). Afterwards they looked at my stats and said I did really well and we queued again. I started to understand how PVP in this game works and just like with Heroics and FPs, it became fun. Now I have at least three toons that do PVP. I still become anxious when I get in matches (though pretty rarely, tbh) with the very vocal minority of players that make the experience miserable for their teammates, but I found the super awesome Exit Warzone button that has no penalty for using. I'm not there to impress them or listen to their childish bs, I'm there to have fun and help my team win (I don't consider those ***holes part of my team and have no loyalty to them, I have ZERO problem dropping matches with them in it). Anyway, PVP is a lot of fun most of the time. The fun increases when you learn how to ignore the noise that unfairly (but nevertheless) reflects the PVP community as a whole. Master Nala and others are right, the VAST majority of PVPers are cool and helpful, and it really is a small minority that is childish and loud about it, but they are easily ignored.

TLDR: Used to share same anxieties and hatred of grouped content and PVP, but when I actually gave them a fair shot, learned to love them and it increased the playability of the game more than I expected it would

Lol you guys are hypocrites. You get an entire "expansion" with no emphasis at all to pvp and cry about the one thing in it that requires pvp for an unlock.

Pvpr's have been screeching for weeks about their apparent ostracism from swtor and the pve community basically told them to suck it up.....well may I be the first to return that sentiment about this here!!!!

Maybe BW thinks that if some of you whining Princesses try a little PvP you may realise it isn't as scary as you think and grow a pair.

Remember... it's called Star WARs, so shuddup and do your part!

Any and all PvP players who aren't massive ****ks -- the next time you wonder why so many players are so unwilling to even bother with a handful of PvP matches, that post is the perfect example of the sort of attitude and behavior that makes so many say "No thanks".

Ahhh how refreshing! Insulting the general behavior of PvP'ers. What if i told you I'm sick of the PvE players making blanket statements like that implying we are all douchebags.

I thought he was just responding directly to you in particular actually acting like a giant flaming d-bag.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

You're not helping your position.

I PvP, and sadly there are a lot of dbags in PvP. And they do ruin it. It does make people not want to do it. It makes me not want to do it.

Sadly there is no way for the community to police itself. Only in strictly PvP games is it even usually able to be done. Until BW/EA do something about PvP player behavior, it's always going to be a problem.

But it's not the only reason. Some classes/specs are just not viable. PvP mechanics are horrible in this game. People don't like being stun locked to death. People don't like the speed at which it goes. Some people don't want to grind for yet another set of gear. The maps are poorly designed for PvP. The list goes on and on.

You're not helping your position.

I PvP, and sadly there are a lot of dbags in PvP. And they do ruin it. It does make people not want to do it. It makes me not want to do it.

Sadly there is no way for the community to police itself. Only in strictly PvP games is it even usually able to be done. Until BW/EA do something about PvP player behavior, it's always going to be a problem.

But it's not the only reason. Some classes/specs are just not viable. PvP mechanics are horrible in this game. People don't like being stun locked to death. People don't like the speed at which it goes. Some people don't want to grind for yet another set of gear. The maps are poorly designed for PvP. The list goes on and on.

And don't forget the number one reason PvE players avoid PvP.

We hate it when we don't win and we play PvE specifically because its easier ^^

Pvpr's as a whole aren't d-cks.......they are just tired of people coming into wz's without being knowledgeable of the strats or playing their classes correctly.

Wz's are as serious to pvprs as ops are to pver's. You would be overly friendly about a guy in a op not performing so why should experienced pvpr's be enthused to have matches thrown by guys kill chasing rather than doing objectives?

Edited by Ferrnitty

PVP is part of the game and is optional content. Getting M1-4X is also optional in 4.0. I don't see the big deal here. People complain about forced PVP like it's really forced. It's really not, just like you aren't forced to get M1-4X for the purposes of the story.

The real kicker is, if you're a trooper you don't need to even do the warzones, so there is a non pvp way to accomplish this optional content.

I like that BW is trying to come up with incentives for players that wouldn't normally do other content they have developed to try it out. I mean that's what this really is, trying to get PVE only people to try PVP content when they might not have otherwise.

If you've never done a warzone how are you going to know you don't like it until you try it? FYI, I used to be one of the PVE only guys. For those of you that have tried warzones and know that you hate them already, well you have your options and I'm sorry; roll that free level 60 as a trooper...

Sigh.... These guys are talking about the KOFTE content, when you're trying to find your scattered companions and bring 'em back onto your team... Or you're trying to mix and match companions.

I can see, I'm gonna have problems. I don't like that I have to do PvP to get Pierce back... I've never played Warzones before. I've been playing since launch. I have done world PvP, but it was rarely.... I just can't see myself going to a Warzone... I might have to do without Pierce.... Blast!!

If you are a Warrior you don't have to do PvP to get Pierce back, he is happy to see you and rejoin your crew.

I like that BW is trying to come up with incentives for players that wouldn't normally do other content they have developed to try it out. I mean that's what this really is, trying to get PVE only people to try PVP content when they might not have otherwise.

There is a difference between "try" and "20" friggin PvP matches (or Valor Rank 40). Unless you are being carried, you are going to be suffering thru 20 matches.

They need to actually cater to and help the PvP players and stop trying to force PvE players into it. It is a bad tried and true failed business model. Has been for quiet sometime. PvE players will NOT PvP no matter how much you try and force the issue. SOE (Daybreak) figured it out. Turbine figured it out. NC Soft figured it out. Damn even PWE and Blizzard have figured it out. Why is it so hard for BW/EA to figure it out. If you make a PvE based game, you are not going to get those PvE players to WANT to PvP. That is not what they are here for. Putting PvE shinys gated behind PvP content is a BAD THING!

Look if Fourex actually served a purpose in PvP, I'd understand it. But companions are a purely PvE ITEM. It makes no sense to gate a PvE only item behind PvP. It's bad business.

It has been said time and time again.. DO NOT FORCE PVP ON PLAYERS THAT DO NOT WANT TO PVP!!

Having said that.. In order to do the quest for M1-4X in 4.0, why must I do 20 warzones?? Is there something strange about the concept of PVE?? Do you not see the server populations right now?? All the PVE ones are heavy and sometimes have a queue, all the PVP ones are lightly populated. Notice a pattern there?? People do not like to be forced to play PVP..

Don't do it in a quest.. 20 warzones?? Are you serious???

Why do you keep doing this to your customers?? I am on Harbinger.. I do not wish to PVP.. Please allow me to proceed in the chain to find the other companions or change the one for M1-4X to something other than PVP..

Solution and a compromise.. Drop it down to like 5 or less warzones and no valor requirements.. Better yet.. Don't force anyone to play PVP.. Please fix this..

Thanks.. :mad:

THANK YOU! Me and my uncle's exact thought, one of the more stupid things they could have done since it are all about personal and singleplayer story in this story for the xpac

Edited by mathol

Okay...while I understand where the complaints are coming from, I have no problem with this. In fact, I kinda like it. It feels like a nice change of pace. You know how PVE and PVP in this game have always feel disjunct, like warzones are just an add-on to the rest of the game? Now with this PVP requirement to get Pierce - and 20 WZs is not a particularly demanding requirement I'd say - it feels kinda refreshing to me how WZs can bring something to the PVE table too. Not to mention it gives personality to the companions. It just fits that Pierce and Forex would want to impose such requirements before deciding to follow and go "At your command, Sir".

Moreover, Pierce and Forex are optional companions. There're many other companions to get if you feel the PVP requirement is not worth your effort. If you like and want them enough, it's always something to look forward to to dive into PVP if you've never given it any thought before - it could be more enjoyable than you think, a chance to experience a part and parcel of the game and be better at playing your class. Or, you can always roll a warrior/ trooper. :)

Just my 2 cents, hoping to shed a more positive light on this matter.

There are nothing nice change of pace for PVE players to get Pierce, who is and will always be, an PVE companion, companions would never be a part of PVP, so why oh why would BW force PVE players to play something they never would do in the game to get an PVE companion?

It's ******** and doesn't make sense what so ever, now if you could actually use companions in PVP matches, THEN it would be a different matter, but that isn't the case, companions is by core game, for PVE playing

It' simple, only my troopers with 4X maxed will ever get him or get to whatever might be past that quest. I used to PVP some, but I really can't stand it and I really don't like playing with the people I see in PVP most of the time. I pay to have fun in this game and PVP isn't fun.

This may have been mentioned, but this forced participation in whatever to get companion X back, is this BW's way to make their product appear better than it really is?

No, it is their way of trying to get people who haven't tried PvP to try something new. Who knows, they might like it and give them another aspect of the game to play.

For those that are absolutely opposed to PvP, well they have a choice. Do the minimum required to get the reward or forgo the reward. The companion isn't required to play the game so it depends on how badly they want it.

P.S. I have yet to play any game that didn't have these sorts of choices.

Edited by Erasimus

It would be better if the "reward" were always accessible in multiple ways.

Trying to drag people into content they have no interest in though this "carrot and stick" nonsense just results in players who want nothing to do with that content mucking about without any real interest, to the detriment of those who actually enjoy it and want to be there -- and the players who don't want to be there feeling forced and resenting the content they're not having any fun doing.

Why didn't they listen to the beta comments? Well, it's simple: The dev's at bioware have come to realize that any and all play testing and beta testing of mods is totally subjective, and that because most of the team is so focused on pvp that they can ignore suggestions that in any way parody, deride or indeed make pvp seem less exciting or even less fun. Let's look at the changes to all of the abilities that they launched in 4.0. Most of them are geared towards pvp. Let's face it: The dev's have no interest in catering to the pve crowd whatsoever. Edited by Lo_Pan