The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware?? Why didn't you listen in the beta??

MajikMyst

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I would speculate that PVP needs all the help it can get in this game with respect to participation.

Your speculation would be in error. Regular warzones (ie what they are asking for) pop significantly quicker than Tactical Flashpoints on Harbinger (the most populous server).

Are the ones that require PVP actually required, or is this mostly a complaint for completionists that they can't get it their way?

They are optional. If you're a Trooper, you get Forex back automatically, same with Pierce for Warriors. For everyone else, to get this companion of another class they want you to TRY PvP or have done it in the past.

No one has to get this companion, they want them but aren't willing to do what the game asks for them to do. I really don't get that.

I would like those "Wings of the Architect" mount on some of my characters, but I find raiding to be incredibly dull. So I just don't have them. No reason to complain that my preferred playstyle isn't solely supported.

Simple solution pair up and RP the PvP warzone sooner or later the PvPers will get fed up with their match being "ruined". May I make the recommendation of using the holo-projector disguise and playing out the warzone as a force ghost after your first death and point out how all they can do is temporarily disperse your energy. It will be great the first time the warzone gets reduced to 2v2 or better yet 4 RPers on each side :D

Seriously though the immature PvPer will see it as more people to kill but real PvPers that want a competitive skilled match will be disappointed by this forced quest. This will not result in a new long term PvP base (yes you may get a few converts) but instead just end with 2 player basses being upset.

They are optional. If you're a Trooper, you get Forex back automatically, same with Pierce for Warriors. For everyone else, to get this companion of another class they want you to TRY PvP or have done it in the past.

No one has to get this companion, they want them but aren't willing to do what the game asks for them to do. I really don't get that.

I would like those "Wings of the Architect" mount on some of my characters, but I find raiding to be incredibly dull. So I just don't have them. No reason to complain that my preferred playstyle isn't solely supported.

Okay, this is generally my stance as well. And honestly, if there is any portion of the game that is truly neglected it is PVP.... so if this is the smallest bone thrown their way, they deserve it.

Not that I dont think that forcing someone to do war zones is a good method of getting a PVE companion back, but using the ticker excuse is poor... just go in and don't care. Who cares if you kill anything or do any objective, you dont need to be a rock star.

You don't need to do that to get them BACK (i.e. you had them by virtue of class). You need to do it if you WANT them on another class that DIDN'T have them before.

And nothing in this game is FORCED, even playing it. If you want a reward, do what the devs have set out as the task. Or don't and don't have the reward.

Edited by Master-Nala

It has been said time and time again.. DO NOT FORCE PVP ON PLAYERS THAT DO NOT WANT TO PVP!!

This is precisely why I left Elder Scrolls Online. Their latest expansion put the newest PVE zone smack dab in the middle of a PVP zone, and to add insult to injury when you got ganked by all the PVPers they could take all your stuff. I imagine they lost a of players over that.

I'd have less of an issue if companions could actually be used in warzones. But they can't. Even the dedicated open-world PvP areas don't allow companions. The quest asks you to engage in a purely PvP activity for a PvE reward. It doesn't even work as a status symbol since the appropriate classes can have those companions without doing a single warzone. So what exactly is the point of this quest?

I'd have less of an issue if companions could actually be used in warzones. But they can't. Even the dedicated open-world PvP areas don't allow companions. The quest asks you to engage in a purely PvP activity for a PvE reward. It doesn't even work as a status symbol since the appropriate classes can have those companions without doing a single warzone. So what exactly is the point of this quest?

What does that have to do with anything?

You can't use companions against World Bosses, or in Operations either and those are PvE activities. Plenty of rewards have no specific use in the content where they are earned. For example, that statue I get in a Flashpoint isn't going to do anything but collect digital dust in my Stronghold. It does nothing for me in Flashpoints.

Most rewards for PvP can't be used in Warzones or are cosmetic. In this case the companions at issue are cosmetic (since companions are effectively identical now). I can't wait for my Sage to be running around with Forex. She will shower him with Republic Memorabilia and use him a whole lot....until they make Blizz a companion. Then I don't care what they want me to do, I'll do it.

It's really amazing to me that people are so scared of even trying something. If you want these optional companions so bad, just give it a try. It's only a taste. You'll get some Conquest points along the way and can even get yourself some of the other rewards that you need Warzone comms for.

I'm just going to suicide over and over for 20 matches.

That'll make my team scream and get rid of this.

To be honest no one will notice. You'll be like the multitude of people who are bad at PvP. If you don't PvP you would get wrecked anyway unless your team is able to carry you.

I don't know why you all think this is a concern of PvP players. This is our lived experience. It's super common to have people who aren't that good. I'm not scared of taking a few losses. Why are you scared to just try?

To be honest no one will notice. You'll be like the multitude of people who are bad at PvP. If you don't PvP you would get wrecked anyway unless your team is able to carry you.

I don't know why you all think this is a concern of PvP players. This is our lived experience. It's super common to have people who aren't that good. I'm not scared of taking a few losses. Why are you scared to just try?

Been in the game since Beta. I've tried PvP and hate it.

I'll do whatever it takes to be so annoying in those 20 runs I have to make that this will go away.

I'll do whatever it takes to be so annoying in those 20 runs I have to make that this will go away.

Or you could actually try, possibly make the match go faster, get more wins than losses and be done in less time?

Just roll a trooper or warrior if you want those companions, you don't have to do PvP to get them back after KOTFE if they were the companions of that class. If you can't get them and you originally had them in the base game, I believe that is a bug for all but perhaps a couple. Lokin might actually be a bug too for Agents, because we are suppose to be able to summon them divorced from the story.

Gotta say, you make a fine point there. Earlier I mentioned leaving ESO because they put the new PVE zone Imperial City in the middle of a PvP zone. That in and of itself would suck, for me, a pure PVE player when it comes to MMORPGs. I love to PvP in games of skill, but there's just something about fighting an uphill battle against another player's gear that turns me off. To top that off with their gear can kill you and then they get to take your stuff... well as I said it was simply unacceptable and I left.

However, as Master Nala pointed out, that isn't the case here. Nobody can take your stuff, and you don't have to stick around after you complete the requirement. I agree forcing PVE to PVP is a very, very bad idea, just terrible. Yet the way they did it in this case isn't very damaging.

Just roll a trooper or warrior if you want those companions, you don't have to do PvP to get them back after KOTFE if they were the companions of that class. If you can't get them and you originally had them in the base game, I believe that is a bug for all but perhaps a couple. Lokin might actually be a bug too for Agents, because we are suppose to be able to summon them divorced from the story.

The only way to get this changed is to ruin the play experience for others.

If enough people scream, it'll disappear in a patch.

Like I said, I've tried PvP and hate it, if you're going to force me to do it I'll make you hate me being there.

This entire argument against having to PVP is complete /fail

News flash...I have to PVE to get companions as well! WHY EA??!?/1!/!?1!?!?/1 I only like to PVP and hate having to trudge through all this PVE stuff. Make it so I can just PVP to get everything!

Sounds ridiculous right? So does the OP's argument.

PVP and PVE are BOTH parts of this game and you simply can NOT have 100% of a game's content by skipping parts of the content. /dothemath /endthread

If the companions in question would be more, well, likable or favorite or useful or something like that, okay. But even then it clearly falls under "Seriously? Are you kidding me?"

And looking at who we can get? Qyzen? I've never used him on my consulars, except when the game forced me to. Why would I want him now on my sorc when I can't get back Khem? Pierce? You mean Lt Dust-Collector? Ok, the droid's somewhat amusing, but the only real use I've found for him on my trooper was get me the presence bonus.

On the good side, at least it's not Rusk or Broonmark. Those two better not become available before Vette, Mako or Khem.

News flash...I have to PVE to get companions as well! WHY EA??!?/1!/!?1!?!?/1 I only like to PVP and hate having to trudge through all this PVE stuff. Make it so I can just PVP to get everything!

PVP and PVE are BOTH parts of this game and you simply can NOT have 100% of a game's content by skipping parts of the content. /dothemath /endthread

/slow clap

20 Warzones?

That`s really not that much. Come on guys.

Yeah.

Totally not much, only twenty matches with half the team sitting at the point/node, not even trying to win, that's hardly even an inconvinience really, cos no one pvps to actually win, right? :D

Because the expansion is 100% PvE, duh.

Also, PvP is content? El. Oh. El.

You can't use companions against World Bosses, or in Operations either and those are PvE activities. Plenty of rewards have no specific use in the content where they are earned. For example, that statue I get in a Flashpoint isn't going to do anything but collect digital dust in my Stronghold. It does nothing for me in Flashpoints.

Actually you can use companions against world bosses, you just have to do it without an ops group. It's harder on the healers since they have no easy way to select targets to heal, but it can be done. Whether or not the companions survive the fight is another matter entirely. AFAIK operations are the only PvE activity where companions are well and truly prohibited.

Most of PvP, on the other hand, happens in areas where companions either can't be used (WZ, designated PvP areas) or don't make sense (GSF). The only PvP activity I'm aware of that allows companions is open world PvP, and from what I've gathered on the forums it's pretty much dead even on PvP servers.

Most rewards for PvP can't be used in Warzones or are cosmetic. In this case the companions at issue are cosmetic (since companions are effectively identical now).

That's a fair point. One companion isn't really that different from the next. I guess I really only want him just because I'm a completionist.

It's really amazing to me that people are so scared of even trying something. If you want these optional companions so bad, just give it a try. It's only a taste. You'll get some Conquest points along the way and can even get yourself some of the other rewards that you need Warzone comms for.

See my earlier post about why I don't PvP. Based on prior experience I'm 98% certain it will make me feel bad. Or I'll just treat it as a chore and not even try to play properly, but I don't have anything against the serious PvP players so I don't actually want to troll them.