So much is now gone :(

DarthPhenex

While the idea of bringing something new to the game is exciting for most, loads of stuff has been taken away. First of all, what made companions unique and interesting is the abilities that they had specific to them. Now the animations were different, the names of the skills different, but were very much the same when compared to a similar companion. So why they could not keep those abilities is beyond me, as it brought something unique and identifying to that companion. Second is the(i cannot express enough)loads and loads of orange custom gear that has been completely removed from the game! Starting with the planet com vendors to every single heroic in the game! I hope there will be some way to obtain these items with a future patch or simply make vendors that sell the custom gear that used to drop from the heroic rewards. Not to mention once you complete a heroic, it auto completes and no longer has conclusion dialogue. I know I am not the only one who feels this way. Edited by DarthPhenex

All of this is a good thing.

I now can pick a person I like and stick with it. If I get bored of eye candy, I can bring out my monster. I don't have to worry about simple things like. Is this guy geared up fully? Or, Man If I don't use so and so, It is just going to be harder than it needs to be.

Now I can just be like. You, whatever your name was. Serve me. Because lets face it, only the best can stand next to me.

Im not against role swapping, i was referring to the unique abilities belonging to certain companions. And that it would have been nice to keep them, since the only difference was animations, nothing game breaking about them. Just seems like all companions now are just skins and nothing unique about them as far as abilities.

While the idea of bringing something new to the game is exciting for most, loads of stuff has been taken away. First of all, what made companions unique and interesting is the abilities that they had specific to them. Now the animations were different, the names of the skills different, but were very much the same when compared to a similar companion. So why they could not keep those abilities is beyond me, as it brought something unique and identifying to that companion.

Companions still have some unique ability imo. Here is screenshot post-4.0 that shows for example that Tharan Cedrax still has his "deploy holiday" ability. The holographic seductress is still there to stun mobs. Im sure nobody else has that ability.

Edited by Karkais

While the idea of bringing something new to the game is exciting for most, loads of stuff has been taken away. .

This.......Gotta love when people on the Dev team or what the hell ever decide to say, "Hey, lets take all this **** that players like and cool animations, rare Cartel items and just scrap it from our next update since Pvpers and end-game raiders think it's unimportant or useless". The changes like they did to HK and Treek's unique abilities for example was just flat out stupid. They never ask the gamers what they should remove they just do it....yea sure they own the game and all that blah blah, but without paying customers your product gets trashed and forgotten when you piss off the people paying the bills. Until BioFail fixes the mess they made by removing stuff like this a lot of people are pissed off and complaining about.....I see a few subs getting canceled before the day is over. However, this so called "expansion" isn't a complete "FUBAR", I liked several changes made in the game and the new story is great so far, but the asinine removable of stuff like resuables in Biochems getting removed from my inventory, etc has left a bad outlook for SWTOR, imo.

Edited by Devako

"Hey, lets take all this **** that players like and cool animations, rare Cartel items and just scrap it from our next update since Pvpers and end-game raiders think it's unimportant or useless"

Can't tell if serious... or just dumb.

All of this is a good thing.

I now can pick a person I like and stick with it. If I get bored of eye candy, I can bring out my monster. I don't have to worry about simple things like. Is this guy geared up fully? Or, Man If I don't use so and so, It is just going to be harder than it needs to be.

Now I can just be like. You, whatever your name was. Serve me. Because lets face it, only the best can stand next to me.

Yeah as long as you get what you want, screw everyone else right? Who are you to tell someone that something that bothers them is a good thing? Are you paid for each PR post or is it just a hobby?

I don't know yet how I feel about everything else, but the companion changes I'm quite pleased with. I detested having to gear up companions, and I hated that there were companions that I thought were cool that I couldn't or didn't use because they either weren't geared or their role wasn't a good fit with the role I was playing. I like being able to swap companions just because I think it'd be cool to run with whoever I want for a time and I don't have to gear them.

My copy of Treek still has some pretty unique stuff...She is still chucking melons at people, hitting them with bees and flying along on her glider soooo...I dunno what happened with yours.
Yea some of the unique skills for all companions are still here, just some got removed, who knows they may even add in back in as long as it's balanced gameplay. The new changes would be more welcome if a lot wasn't removed like the OP mentioned. Still there's some new great features that will help people adjust in the long run, just sucks about the losses and we'll all move on lol. Edited by Devako

With all the homogenization that's occurred with this patch, it makes me wonder if they didn't hire a bunch of Ghostcrawler's destructive dev team from World of Warcraft. Companions are little more than pets now. I wish I'd known they were going to pull something this before I sold a lot of companions' unique armor to free up space.

Basically, the devs just simplified the game to make things easier for themselves.

Edited by DreadRanger

My biggest gripe so far has been the removal of various quests. Some of them were ones I quite liked and really enhanced the story ( Jedi Knight in this case ). The gear changes I can sort of get my head around. But I will hold off on that one until I can see if what is being offered now is better or worse.

Yep Wish Doc Lokin still had his transformation. That in itself is a crime that its gone.

He still has it.

Honest question: have you actually checked these or are you simply repeating the information from somebody else (who didn't check)? Because for those two examples you are completely incorrect. There isn't even any room for debate, that is flat out misinformation. Tharan still has the "Deploy Holiday" ability (when in heal mode) and Doctor Lokin most certainly still transforms into a Rakghoul (when he's in DPS mode, as it's always been).

I went ahead and grabbed some screenshots, so, here ya' go. Here's Tharan distracting an enemy on Black Hole with Holiday (note the level sync icon) and here's Lokin bringing the Rakghoul Plague to Section X (no level sync because the character is actually on level for Section X at the moment). If you'd like further proof, most of my characters are on Harbinger and I'd be more than happy to meet you and demonstrate these abilities personally.

Disliking the changes is one thing. I don't like all of them myself, honestly. But spreading blatant misinformation is something completely different and it annoys me to no end. It's extremely dishonest.

Yeah, Lokin losing his Rakghoul transformation is a travesty.

And as for the weapon changes.... UGH.

So many companions can no longer use their own weapons. And many of them have had the weapon options they did have pared right back. I always used a single bladed LS on Jaesa. But noooo, now she needs a double? WHY? The weapons are now purely cosmetic anyway! If anything that is LESS reason to remove it from her, at least before there was an argument that anyone using her in a group was reducing her effective DPS.

Edited by Sunyavadin

So many companions can no longer use their own weapons. And many of them have had the weapon options they did have pared right back. I always used a single bladed LS on Jaesa. But noooo, now she needs a double? WHY? The weapons are now purely cosmetic anyway! If anything that is LESS reason to remove it from her, at least before there was an argument that anyone using her in a group was reducing her effective DPS.

Yeah, but you got a cool set of blasters for your lightning sorcerer for free!!!!!

Oh, wait....

Lokin can still transform...

Honestly my biggest issue is the large amounts of custom gear stripped from the game

In a game where playing dress-up is entertaining for so many players, this here is an absolutely ridiculous thing to do. Maybe the vendors have been moved, or their inventory got bugged? Can only hope. Nerfing fun is not something you do if you want happy (paying) players.