Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight

Unless they were adopted together, or had the same dad/mom

What? It's true!

How about a Sith Pureblood and a Twi'lek, on opposite factions, born before the galactic war (and thus prior to the Sith Empire even existing in known space)? How are they related? How do you explain that?

And, more profoundly, why do you explain that? Why even attempt to justify it?

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Legacy name being linked between all characters, regardless of race or faction, is a piss-poor idea, and that is giving it credit.

Bioware really either needs to overhaul the system entirely, or give the option to change the name. The way they currently have it designed makes zero sense from a practical standpoint, and even less sense from a Star Wars standpoint. :mad:

I saw someone on my server whose surname was Wmmxd. Apparently her toddler 'chose' it for her while she was in the restroom.

This needs to be made right, Bioware.

See....sheesh. It's this stuff that I just don't get. You're telling me her toddler took her toon through the quest, finished the quest, talked to the NPC to get her Legacy name, typed it in, confirmed it and all that while she was in the ladies' room?! How did the toddler even reach her PC? That's like the guy who had a thread over in CS about his 'nephew' deleting one of his characters' while he was in the shower. When do people take responsibility? When does it stop being Bioware's problem and start being user error? I mean, accidents and mistakes happen. But when you willingly decide to take a name and then later want to change it and cite that it's BIOWARE'S problem, that's just not true. When you choose an AC and KNOW you can't change it once you pick it and are given all pertinent info. but don't like the class and whine about it, how is that BIOWARE'S problem?

Now. I even considered that I didn't want to seem like I wanted to 'control' other players, and I took the original idea of changing Legacy names and thought about it. Let's say I want to take the name, 'Ridiculous' but someone else on the server has it and the prompt tells me this. I hang my head in shame, and have to choose the name, 'HeyThisWorksToo'. Later on that day, whomever had the name 'Ridiculous' decides to be just that and change their name to, 'BiowareHeart' on a whim. Is a prompt going to pop up to everybody that wanted that last name but was told it was unavailable and let them know it's ready to be taken by a new person? No? So I'm screwed out of a Legacy name I wanted and yet because of ADD nation I can still have it and yet will never know about it. How does that help but a few that can't seem to keep their minds made up for more than a few days?

TLDR: I'm sorry your name was taken/you decided you didn't want it/it didn't fit your 'new' main or whatever the ADD issues are people, but it's hardly game breaking and in the scheme of things it's just a name. What's in a name?

Also, you're welcome for the bump.

How about a Sith Pureblood and a Twi'lek, on opposite factions, born before the galactic war (and thus prior to the Sith Empire even existing in known space)? How are they related? How do you explain that?

And, more profoundly, why do you explain that? Why even attempt to justify it?

If they were both born before the Galactic War, that means they are both around 40 years old. If they were both born before the Sith Empire even exsisted in known space, that means they are both around 2000 years old.

See....sheesh. It's this stuff that I just don't get. You're telling me her toddler took her toon through the quest, finished the quest, talked to the NPC to get her Legacy name, typed it in, confirmed it and all that while she was in the ladies' room?! How did the toddler even reach her PC? That's like the guy who had a thread over in CS about his 'nephew' deleting one of his characters' while he was in the shower. When do people take responsibility? When does it stop being Bioware's problem and start being user error? I mean, accidents and mistakes happen. But when you willingly decide to take a name and then later want to change it and cite that it's BIOWARE'S problem, that's just not true. When you choose an AC and KNOW you can't change it once you pick it and are given all pertinent info. but don't like the class and whine about it, how is that BIOWARE'S problem?

Now. I even considered that I didn't want to seem like I wanted to 'control' other players, and I took the original idea of changing Legacy names and thought about it. Let's say I want to take the name, 'Ridiculous' but someone else on the server has it and the prompt tells me this. I hang my head in shame, and have to choose the name, 'HeyThisWorksToo'. Later on that day, whomever had the name 'Ridiculous' decides to be just that and change their name to, 'BiowareHeart' on a whim. Is a prompt going to pop up to everybody that wanted that last name but was told it was unavailable and let them know it's ready to be taken by a new person? No? So I'm screwed out of a Legacy name I wanted and yet because of ADD nation I can still have it and yet will never know about it. How does that help but a few that can't seem to keep their minds made up for more than a few days?

TLDR: I'm sorry your name was taken/you decided you didn't want it/it didn't fit your 'new' main or whatever the ADD issues are people, but it's hardly game breaking and in the scheme of things it's just a name. What's in a name?

Also, you're welcome for the bump.

Your wrong in your assumption on what the OP is saying.

They were not told by the game all future alts would have the name.

And the rest of us want some more naming flixibility.

Any good name i could think of for a single toon or all my toons would have spaces.

Your wrong in your assumption on what the OP is saying.

They were not told by the game all future alts would have the name.

And the rest of us want some more naming flixibility.

Any good name i could think of for a single toon or all my toons would have spaces.

Everywhere you look, from the quest to the MASSIVE post on it by the devs have clearly stated from the beginning that it was permanent and that all characters on that server would have the name. I'm not sure how else to describe it..even the OP seemed to be aware of this fact. I wasn't arguing about that in the slightest.

I understand wanting naming 'flexibility'. I just don't understand how you guys think it would work. If you can choose eight different names on every server, then chances are other people who could've used that name are gonna be out, and THEY'RE going to be making posts about it on the boards. That's why one per server, first come first serve is the fairest way to do it. Oh, you meant spaces and stuff? Like 'Good Heart' or something like that? That's fair enough.

as a joke I took the name schwarzenegger for my trooper, as I was shooting away with grav rounds(reminds me of the movie eraser with arnold) and my character is a cyborg so he looks a bit like terminator. Then after i select the name I find out its for all my characters, lol rubbish. I don't want to play my jedi sage with this name.

Just be careful using this feature. I called myself Predator. It still look funny:

Grados Predator

Kageroza Predator

but if you add to this your title, you get something like:

Grados Predator the Heartless

And that's kinda nice. BUT some titles should be removed. Look at this:

Grados Predator, Grand Champion of the Great Hunt

Trust me, in game it WILL take half of your screen do display :p Who even think about putting long names like that into use ? :| LOOOOOOOOOOT of players play as Bounty Hunter and I must say to you that it's not even funny :p It's one of the features that I want to see in the future so when I come back to the game in few months to check if it will worth of my money and time Legacy will be first thing that I will check.

After that PVP, crafting and other stuff. Hope there will be SOMETHING to do in this game.

as a joke I took the name schwarzenegger for my trooper, as I was shooting away with grav rounds(reminds me of the movie eraser with arnold) and my character is a cyborg so he looks a bit like terminator. Then after i select the name I find out its for all my characters, lol rubbish. I don't want to play my jedi sage with this name.

Yes, it even fails for humor. Because while a funny Sage might have the name 'Pebbleslinger' or something like that, Schwarzenegger is simply a head-scratcher in that situation.

I don't see the problem, it very clearly stated that all your characters would have this name, so I just picked something simple, so as to avoid the issue of changing my name later. Although, letting someone change their surname is fine by me. Edited by ryanvward

All they really need to do is ask on character creation: "Choose the Legacy this character should be a part of." Give none as an option, or something like "this character will forge its own path."

That would make me happy. I had names set up for all the characters I designed. I was really upset when I had to pick just one. My Rattataki SI is not in the same family as my Mirialan trooper.

I realize it is my fault for not researching the Legacy thing. But, I also expected to not have to deal with it til much later than I did. And I'm just not creative on the fly. :(

But, I don't think Bioware should offer a "pay-to-change" Legacy name option. I think if you get to the end of Act I and you pick a legacy name, then that's it. I just think you should have a choice as to whether or not new characters on that server are part of that family.

Edited by KittyPrawn

All they really need to do is ask on character creation: "Choose the Legacy this character should be a part of." Give none as an option, or something like "this character will forge its own path."

But, I don't think Bioware should offer a "pay-to-change" Legacy name option. I think if you get to the end of Act I and you pick a legacy name, then that's it. I just think you should have a choice as to whether or not new characters on that server are part of that family.

I support your desire to opt out, but why turn around and slap those of use who chose poorly across the face?

Edited by AJediKnight

If you deleted that character, or ALL your characters, the legacy name is bound to your account (and your legacy level/xp stays)

It's really the worst aspect of the system, because it's ridiculous to maintain a legacy when every character originally affiliated with the name is deleted. That's a policy that would make sense if you couldn't hide the name, but since it can be hidden, then that defeats any purpose of forcing its permanency.

i really don't agree with one name for all of your characters. They each have their own story. They are not a big family of eight, they should have their own history and last names.

I think bw should rethink this whole legacy system.

qft..

So i wonder what is going to happen to the guy I reported with the Legacy Cker, Name Mofu?

No idea. We've never, in all the pages of this thread, had any confirmation on a reported legacy name getting changed, or if the person who was reported got to pick the replacement.

No idea. We've never, in all the pages of this thread, had any confirmation on a reported legacy name getting changed, or if the person who was reported got to pick the replacement.

maybe it would be like, "Well, we can't change it, and you name is super offensive, so we're just gonna lock you out of the server. Reroll and enjoy."

99% sure they can change the names, they just don't want to.

Or they are waiting for the paid name change service.

maybe it would be like, "Well, we can't change it, and you name is super offensive, so we're just gonna lock you out of the server. Reroll and enjoy."

99% sure they can change the names, they just don't want to.

Or they are waiting for the paid name change service.

Any kind of confirmation that a name change service was pending would satisfy me. I can wait, I just don't want to be waiting on nothing, you know?

I would like the option also. Had no idea what Legacy was and it wasn't really explained clearly enough (for me, anyways) when the window popped up to put a name in.

I threw in a name without giving it too much thought just so I could move on with the game...

I know the name I want now, but it's so friggen awesome I refuse to share it with you all in the hopes that I'll be able to use it soon. :)

I would like the option also. Had no idea what Legacy was and it wasn't really explained clearly enough (for me, anyways) when the window popped up to put a name in.

I threw in a name without giving it too much thought just so I could move on with the game...

I know the name I want now, but it's so friggen awesome I refuse to share it with you all in the hopes that I'll be able to use it soon. :)

Lol, same. I am very guarded about my names -- don't tell them to a soul. However, the surname I want is fairly obscure, so I hold out hopes that, even months down the road, it will still be available. I just need a kindly CM to help me out.