(KOTFE) Do you really have to do PvP to recruit a PvE companion?

Kulyok

Yeah, and maybe I'll simply go AFK in your next ops group boss fight.

Being a jerk to other gamers doesn't "punish" Bioware, it only pisses off other players.

NO

Feel free. Just before the boss dies, and we get our drops, I'll instigate the vote kick to remove you from getting the rewards. Works for me. I won't even put you on my ignore list, I'll hope you're stupid enough to keep doing it, so we can increase our chance at drops. Don't let me be tanking a moveable boss, your repair bills will suck.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh, as much as I'm not a PVPer, I don't mind this quest at all. I agree with the point that this is a multi-facet game and all games systems should be interconnected and "promote" each other. I would probably down the requirement to 10 WZs, but not eliminate it completly. In fact, 2 more companions should be done like this with GSF matches. The quest is not asking anyone to do NiM raids or ranked WZs. Edited by Pietrastor

Forgive me if somebody has already said this, but BioWare is hoping to attract a lot of new players to the game with this expansion, and they expect that a lot of those players will choose the instant level 60 option to create a character for themselves.

With that said, they needed a way to introduce those players to the variety of content that the game had to offer, and so they decided to use the alliance system to hand out quests that would allow those people to get a reasonable amount of experience doing them so that they could choose for themselves whether of not they liked that activity.

In this case, they chose to make is necessary for players to already have a valor rating of 40, or to play 20 PvP matches in order to get him.

Personally, I think that what they are doing makes sense. By setting the mark a 20 matches, they give people enough experience to make an informed decision on how much (of how little) the like to PvP, and as a reward for doing so they get the new companion.

P.s.

The truth is that as a companion for my troopers I almost never used him, but I do PvP and I my valor rank is high enough that I can get him without having to play 20 more matches before I get him, so I probably will. But if I never got him it would be no great loss to me.

A lot of the pvp'ers really don't care too much for pve, but still like their companions. How many companions require/force you to do pve? What about datacrons? Can pvp'ers get all the datacrons without engaging in pve? My favorite parts of this game are pvp and crafting, but I really do not care for heroics, any group related pve, or conquest. Now, am I forced to do pve or conquests to craft? No, but I do if I want to get the most out of crafting. Do I have to engage in pve or go into heroic areas? No, but if I want all the datacrons to have better stats(more mastery) for pvp, I certainly do.

Do you have to pvp to get companions? No, but if you want Doc, you do. If you really want Doc, it doesn't take long to do 20 wz's.

I actually think it's nice they gave a companion to the pvp community that doesn't require a pve grind.

You guys are complaining about having to do twenty pvp warzones...really? It's 20 warzones you don't need to find a group you don't need to do anything but queue up And if you win it counts as 2 matches so you will get it done even faster.

You guys are complaining about having to do twenty pvp warzones...really? It's 20 warzones you don't need to find a group you don't need to do anything but queue up And if you win it counts as 2 matches so you will get it done even faster.

You do realise that is 20 warzones per toon? I want one of each advanced class for both genders if I was to get these companions for everyone other than the ones that are exempt (troopers and Warriors) that's a possible total of 480 warzones (assuming I am likely to loose all of them) that is a huge amount considering I never wanted to step foot in a war zone.

So I want my PvE companion (no-one will be able to persuade me its a PvP reward) for the alliance stuff so I will enter 20 warzones just don't expect me to take part, get objectives etc or even spec correctly maybe I won't troll (like I previously indicated I would) but I won't be particularly helpful either.

You do realise that is 20 warzones per toon? I want one of each advanced class for both genders if I was to get these companions for everyone other than the ones that are exempt (troopers and Warriors) that's a possible total of 480 warzones (assuming I am likely to loose all of them) that is a huge amount considering I never wanted to step foot in a war zone.

So I want my PvE companion (no-one will be able to persuade me its a PvP reward) for the alliance stuff so I will enter 20 warzones just don't expect me to take part, get objectives etc or even spec correctly maybe I won't troll (like I previously indicated I would) but I won't be particularly helpful either.

Which is why I want them to make the requirement for 4X/Pierce 5 wins, then you won't have people 'not trolling but not helping.' Or even better make it medal based rather than win based, because at least if its medal based you pretty much have to participate to get it done faster, especially in 4v4 where if you don't participate you don't get any medals.

Edited by Billupsat

Which is why I want them to make the requirement for 4X/Pierce 5 wins, then you won't have people 'not trolling but not helping.' Or even better make it medal based rather than win based, because at least if its medal based you pretty much have to participate to get it done faster, especially in 4v4 where if you don't participate you don't get any medals.

That'd be a nice option. Though five wins, depending on Faction and Server can be extremely hard. 5 wins/10 defeat with a legacy bypass for each faction once said faction has done it once (Maybe even add the requirement of recruiting them via PvP and via their original class before it becomes skipable) might help calm down those who strictly oppose PvP.

That'd be a nice option. Though five wins, depending on Faction and Server can be extremely hard. 5 wins/10 defeat with a legacy bypass for each faction once said faction has done it once (Maybe even add the requirement of recruiting them via PvP and via their original class before it becomes skipable) might help calm down those who strictly oppose PvP.

Exactly. I have no problems with a legacy bypass after you've gotten them once on a non-trooper/warrior.

@Master-Nala

Kudos to you that you try to reason with them.

So guys, you are the elite PVE snowflakes that are okay that companions are locked behind PVE gates that a PVP player needs to face but you are not okay when one or two have the requirements the other way around? Aye. Before you even start your smart talk that companions belong to PVE, let me remind you that a PVP warrior has the same right to get Pierce as you since it was always his original companion.

The fact is that PvPers don't need companions so if they are locked behind a PvE wall, it doesn't matter. You can't take companions into a match. PvEers, need their companion. They should not be locked behind a PvP wall. If a PvPer wants a companion, he/she knows that he/she has to do PvE or the story. That's what this game is all about.

So,, BW screwed up on this one.

The fact is that PvPers don't need companions so if they are locked behind a PvE wall, it doesn't matter. You can't take companions into a match. PvEers, need their companion. They should not be locked behind a PvP wall. If a PvPer wants a companion, he/she knows that he/she has to do PvE or the story. That's what this game is all about.

So,, BW screwed up on this one.

No they didn't. Just because companions are used for PvE does not mean they can't be given as a reward for PvP, as there are only 2 out of 40 or so that can be acquired from PvP it really makes most of the PvE'ers come off as entitled and selfish.

No they didn't. Just because companions are used for PvE does not mean they can't be given as a reward for PvP, as there are only 2 out of 40 or so that can be acquired from PvP it really makes most of the PvE'ers come off as entitled and selfish.

Yeah I will admit I am probably selfish and that I did myself no favours either in the other thread which I apologise for, I want these companions but don't really want to PvP for them. Ideally I would have wanted to "spoil" no-ones fun but currently I have no other option but to enter PvP matches.

That's why I always tended to run things in this game at my own pace even if that meant overlevelling flashpoint content so that I could farm "specific" rewards for my companions save trying to "need" on gear for companions as sometimes there was a limited window to do so via group finder.

Edited by Jedi_riches

Yeah I will admit I am probably selfish and that I did myself no favours either in the other thread which I apologise for, I want these companions but don't really want to PvP for them. Ideally I would have wanted to "spoil" no-ones fun but currently I have no other option but to enter PvP matches.

That's why I always tended to run things in this game at my own pace even if that meant overlevelling flashpoint content so that I could farm "specific" rewards for my companions save trying to "need" on gear for companions as sometimes there was a limited window to do so via group finder.

In that other thread a lot of us did ourselves no favors, it was a like monkey's flinging poo for about 20 pages and then Leklor and I got productive their at the end and discussed ways to make it easier for players to get the 20 matches done or even lessen/alter the requirements, and then the thread died... I guess some people either a) didn't want to go back to what they figured would be more flinging, or be b) didn't actually want to be productive and just wanted their own needs met.

Edited by Billupsat
Misspelt another user's name.

I think the point was that making a companion into a PvP "reward" is like handing out PvP gear or comms or whatever for doing the old PvE space combat missions -- only worse, because you cannot use a companion in organized PvP (not that I'd know, since I avoid PvP like the plague after years of online gaming and dealing with the cesspit on other games).

Edited by Max_Killjoy

In that other thread a lot of us did ourselves no favors, it was a like monkey's flinging poo for about 20 pages and then Leklor and I got productive their at the end and discussed ways to make it easier for players to get the 20 matches done or even lessen/alter the requirements, and then the thread died... I guess some people either a) didn't want to go back to what they figured would be more flinging, or be b) didn't actually want to be productive and just wanted their own needs met.

Yeah at the end I was fed up of being an ***, infact I would have removed my comments but it was pointless as they had been quoted already, I honestly did not have any ideas for alternatives myself it was more of venting without any constructive ideas.

I would have apologised in that thread but I did not want to bring it back up again :D but there were a few saner people in that thread yourself and Leklor included but obviously not me hehe.

Maybe if the devs are still "hell bent" on keeping the PvP requirement perhaps you could have partake in 20-30 matches but then have some legacy unlock for other characters, almost make it a ball ache for the first character but then no need on the others. A bit like how Legacy datacrons work, some were exceptionally difficult but once you had got the requirement once?

Edited by Jedi_riches

Yeah at the end I was fed up of being an ***, infact I would have removed my comments but it was pointless as they had been quoted already, I honestly did not have any ideas for alternatives myself it was more of venting without any constructive ideas.

I would have apologised in that thread but I did not want to bring it back up again :D but there were a few saner people in that thread yourself and Leklor included but obviously not me hehe.

Maybe if the devs are still "hell bent" on keeping the PvP requirement perhaps you could have partake in 20-30 matches but then have some legacy unlock for other characters, almost make it a ball ache for the first character but then no need on the others. A bit like how Legacy datacrons work, some were exceptionally difficult but once you had got the requirement once?

Well, I don't know about saner, I definitely engaged in some professional mud-slinging myself, but I can be agreeable when dealing with more level-headed people. As for suggestions, I'll put the most relevant posts from both of us below when it comes to options.

You make a point, they could add alliance crates/companion gifts to the PvP dailies to help incentive the process.

As for what I'd suggested there are a few ways to cut down on the grind or minimize the unpleasantness that can be explored.

~Cut the required matches in half from 20 to 10

~Change it to where it just requires the completion of the PvP Weekly (granted that's 15 matches if you lose every time)

~Cut it down to 5 matches, but 5 wins.

~If they aren't willing to change the number of matches, instead after the initial conversation with 4X/Pierce give the player a full set (implants/relics included) of PvE gear that bolsters properly to 2018 expertise

~Add a legacy/cartel option (Think HK-51/Treek) that after completing the chain on one character you can unlock/purchase him on other characters

~Change the requirements from matches won to medals earned. Instead of 20 matches, say 50 medals. If you get 8-ish medals per match that's less than 10 matches you'd have to compete.

As for PvE alternatives I haven't really considered those... mainly because I still believe outright removing or making the PvP requirement ineffective to be at odds with the intent and making it rather pointless. That and I'm not sure what to suggest that would match the story-intent with the companions and make it PvE friendly. I suppose it could have something to do with rescuing NPC's from the outlaws den, but then People would really be subject to griefing from PvP'ers.

Read and agreed, mostly.

Here's a few options I think the quest could offer, including a PvE one. Tell me what you think.

When faced with the (Soon-to-be) companion on the capital world, you have the following dialog options regarding his request:

-"I'll do it but the Alliance needs me so I won't fight much." => You have to do 5 Warzones, win or lose. Reward: The companion, at influence 3 or 4 tops. No Appropriate rank 6 gift, no Alliance Crate and a few hundreds WZs Comms.

-"The Alliance needs you soon so I'll be quick and I'll win this." => You have to WIN 5 Warzones. Defeats don't count. Reward: Companion at Influence 5 or 6, either the gift or the crate + appropriate WZs Comms.

-"I'll do it" => Replaces the current 20 with ten warzones. Wins count double. Reward identical to right now except WZs commendations cut in half.

-"I'll do more than that." => Turn in the Weekly WZs quest. Reward: Companion at Influence 10 or higher, either two gifts or two crates, appropriate number of WZs comms.

-"I'll crush our ennemies" => Hardcore version: Warzones have to be ranked AND won. Reward: Very high influence level (Near 20 or more), several gifts and crates + another special reward (Maybe a unique Companion customization?) + Ranked commendation.

-"I think the war needs to stop until Zakuul is defeated." This is the PvE option and it's both long and not very rewarding. It would consist in hunting an enemy ranking officier (Champion rank) on nearly every planet in the game (Planets that are supposed to be one-faction only add an "Infiltration unit" there) in a rather remote location (Lorewise they'd be opposed to a truce and silencing them is the only way for a relatively tenuous peace to be reached with the Empire/Republic) . Each officier must be defeated ungrouped. Reward: Just the companion, at Influence 1, no comms (Obvious really), a few CDC, no companion gift, no Alliance Ressources crates. Basically, the least rewarding option and potentially the most tedious since there'll be a lot of backtracking.

What do you think (I tried to gimp the PvE option to make it the lesser alternative, because as I said, I can't stand PvP in large ammounts but small are fine, and sometimes I just want to do something new.)?

Any adjustements you'd offer?

I think if you keep the PvP requirement and not adding a PvE option there are 2 ways of altering the quest to suit more people:

1) reduce the requirements for the war zones perhaps from 20 to say 10 but wins still count as double, with maybe a slight bonus if you pick up the PvP Daily too?

or

2) increase the requirements for the war zones on a single character, but then allow it to be transferred to legacy, which would then get the the same conversation as you would have with them as if you had 40 valor.

I mean whatever happens I think the PvP requirement should be altered in some way so that at least it is less daunting for those without any PvP inclination.

I think if you keep the PvP requirement and not adding a PvE option there are 2 ways of altering the quest to suit more people:

1) reduce the requirements for the war zones perhaps from 20 to say 10 but wins still count as double, with maybe a slight bonus if you pick up the PvP Daily too?

or

2) increase the requirements for the war zones on a single character, but then allow it to be transferred to legacy, which would then get the the same conversation as you would have with them as if you had 40 valor.

I mean whatever happens I think the PvP requirement should be altered in some way so that at least it is less daunting for those without any PvP inclination.

I've never minded altering the PvP requirement, but what I have minded was changing it to PvE just because they don't want to PvP.

Edited by Billupsat

I pvp on my main. I have a full set of pvp gear augmented, and valor rank 60+. I probably wont bother getting the companions that require PvP on my other classes unless its revealed those two companions are vital (im betting not). I didn't particularly care for M1-4X or Pierce anyways.

There's another companion that I'm not bothering with, Qyzen. Only because, after looking around for the right targets and not finding any of the solo ones, and don't really care to do the world bosses as of now. Again, I don't think its vital that you get all the companions.

*snip*

TBH, as Billupsat admited to it, I did take part into the "bad" part of the previous thread quite a lot. It's only when I directly started talking to him and found someone with whom I could discuss a potential solution/change to the quest that the saner part of my personality managed to kick "Troll-Me" out of my head.

Sad that thread died but at least our propositions have been C/Ced by Billupsat and maybe we'll manage to resume a peaceful discussion here ^^

I like it, it adds variety. If you really want Pierce/Forex, play Warrior/Trooper.

20 matches really isn't that many, with wins counting 2x...I don't know a damn thing about rotations or proper builds and I went into ranked with my 65 Sorcerer who has no PVP gear and the ONLY match that was lost was a losing one I joined into midway.

I dunno how usual Imp side stomping Pubs is on Ebon Hawk tho.

Edited by Djiini

I just got 4X last night. 18 games, 2 wins, took the weekly and the daily each day for added coms. Got a 208 Weapon out of the bargin as well that's better than what I had.

I didn't really fight, I just went to the object and "defended". Got about 5-6 medals a match, the 4 vs 4 were my favorites as they were super fast. I just ran up to the enemy hit an aoe or hard hitting ability to get 1 medal for doing 3000+ damage and then got killed. 30 seconds later another point out of the 20.

For all the complaints it's incredibly easy to do even if you don't do any pvp. Sure I had some people hating me on my teams.. but I don't care. I said at the start I was just there for 4X.

TBH, as Billupsat admited to it, I did take part into the "bad" part of the previous thread quite a lot. It's only when I directly started talking to him and found someone with whom I could discuss a potential solution/change to the quest that the saner part of my personality managed to kick "Troll-Me" out of my head.

Sad that thread died but at least our propositions have been C/Ced by Billupsat and maybe we'll manage to resume a peaceful discussion here ^^

Precisely, a peaceful discussion and compromise can be reached so long as both sides stop trolling each other and are actually willing to discuss alternatives that may not be exactly 'What they want.'