(KOTFE) Do you really have to do PvP to recruit a PvE companion?

Kulyok

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why we make fun of PvPers. Nothing to do with a challenging, competitive match, just kills.
its a video game; its a leisure activity.

if you aren't clearing the easier to kill players first before the harder to kill players, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Edited by Pagy

its a video game; its a leisure activity.

if you aren't clearing the easier to kill players first before the harder to kill players, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Rationalizing actually undermines your position rather than supporting it. But, hey, it's your game.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Rationalizing actually undermines your position rather than supporting it. But, hey, it's your game.

Admittedly Ive not played PVP yet in SWTOR, but in EVERY other MMO Ive ever played...killing is pretty much the object...kill as many as you can as fast as you can.

Im sorry, if youre character is weak, you should be killed first...its how it works. Now being a douchebag after doing it is not cool...but killing you yep.

So dont feel bad if youre character gets killed cause it weak...nature of the game...look at it this way, with the way you guys are whining about it...be happy the PVP'er is taking time to kill your totaly worthless toon...hes doing you a service, after all you dont wanna be there...hes just getting you out faster...

Sorry, but screw pvp. If I get bored enough to want Pierce and I have to do warzones, here's my strategy:

1) Play naked.

2) Roleplay-walk everywhere.

3) Emote at everyone.

4) Make a game of seeing how many times I can get killed.

5) Flirt with the enemy.

Basically do nothing to help my side win. That'll be more fun than actual PVP. And when I get my 20 losses, I'll never PVP again.

I find having to PVP to get a companion is ridiculous. Now the true pvpers will have to suffer while I join the warzones and be of no use to them. I apologize to them in advance because they are the ones truly suffering.

Second, I was annoyed I had to do Qyzen Fess Companion quest to even get the alert for Dr. Lokin. What if I did not want Qyzen Fess as a companion?? Honestly I didn't on this particular toon but I wanted Dr. Lokin. I should never have to recruit one companion to get another.

I am adding this to the suggestion box as well because this is bananas when my "choices" should matter.

People DO NOT CRY BECAUSE YOU CAN NOT HAVE EVERYTHING YOUR WAY!

THIS IS SWTOR, not BURGER KING!

Gotta agree with you there, either you want Pierce/4X then you'll hunker down and do the the PVP, and who knows you might even enjoy it, or you don't do it and subsequently will have a comp less. To those that say I'll just sit around and move 2 steps from time to I've got to say have fun doing nothing for sometimes 10 - 20 minutes. All the other people out there that have resolved to do PVP (which includes me) here are some simple first tips:

1: do the introduction and daily PVP quests they'll get you commendations cuz those'll get you

2: Basic PVP gear, even a few pieces wil already help :)

3: when you're in WZs "Never walk alone" cuz your opponents won't do so either

4: savour them kills, because nothing feels gratifying as finally getting to that one who had it out for you the whole time

5: keep an open mind and have fun it's only just a game

so that's it I'll rest my case

p.s. to everybody who's still crying/whining now "You're all a bunch of *******"

please fill in anything for *;)

You know, you could take advantage of the situation, and use those 20 warzones to save up and get the higher level pvp relics. They are rating 208, they pop in pve and the stats are quite good on them. Especially even compared with the 220 relics you can buy from the comms vendor (those you have to click to activate; these pvp relics will pop automatically)

So make the best of a bad situation and you'll actually find some benefit for it.

And this is why we make fun of PvPers. Nothing to do with a challenging, competitive match, just kills.

Absolutely right. I mean, you NEVER see PvE players asking for absolutely trivial content to be made even more trivial.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=848396

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=846895

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=842950

....Wait. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but screw pvp. If I get bored enough to want Pierce and I have to do warzones, here's my strategy:

1) Play naked.

2) Roleplay-walk everywhere.

3) Emote at everyone.

4) Make a game of seeing how many times I can get killed.

5) Flirt with the enemy.

Basically do nothing to help my side win. That'll be more fun than actual PVP. And when I get my 20 losses, I'll never PVP again.

Instead of doing all that, why not, you know. Just not get Pierce. I know that's what you're doing now. But why do you complain about there being a reward for PvP? Why should this playstyle alone be restricted to having no exclusive rewards?

Serious question. What factually is the distinction between PvP and PvE? Not opinions like "The whole game is PvE." Because honestly that's debatable. I'm trying to understand why people feel like PvP is not entitled to be rewarded like other playstyles.

And if you're saying that's not what you're saying, I'm sorry but it is. This only comes up as a problem when the reward is something that a large number of PvE players want and should be able to get without having to PvP. While it's expressed as "we want options," what you're saying is that PvP should never gate anything that I care about. And because people care about a lot of different things, that could be anything.

At least the raiders who PvP for the relics don't complain about it most of the time. It's something they want and they are willing to do what's necessary to get it.

Serious question. What factually is the distinction between PvP and PvE? Not opinions like "The whole game is PvE." Because honestly that's debatable. I'm trying to understand why people feel like PvP is not entitled to be rewarded like other playstyles.

And if you're saying that's not what you're saying, I'm sorry but it is. This only comes up as a problem when the reward is something that a large number of PvE players want and should be able to get without having to PvP. While it's expressed as "we want options," what you're saying is that PvP should never gate anything that I care about. And because people care about a lot of different things, that could be anything.

I have no problem with PVP getting rewards. But if 4X is intended as a PVP reward, it's a spectacularly poorly-conceived one. The PVE prerequisites for the quest (9 chapters of Fallen Empire, plus getting Yuun) took me twice as long as the actual PVP portion. (Granted, this is counting cutscenes, and I got enough wins that I only had to do 12 matches.) And it doesn't require competence at PVP, or even understanding of PVP. It barely requires effort; the "queue, zone in, move around enough not to get autokicked" strategy is perfectly effective. It's not a nice thing to do, and won't win many friends, but it'll get through the quest.

(For the record, I didn't do that. I don't think I was much help to my teams and I really don't care, but at least I was always out trying to fight.)

More likely he's intended as an incentive to get PVE players to try PVP, but the way it's conceived seems more likely, in my opinion, to generate resentment than interest.

Instead of doing all that, why not, you know. Just not get Pierce.

This is what I think everytime I see someone talking about this. I have something like 19 companions now, and I don't have them all. With that many companions, that all behave similarly, there is no reason to just not go after the ones that you don't want to do the quest for. It also makes sense to me that if you want all the companions, you will need to interact with all the different parts of the game. I anticipate there will eventually be a companion that you have to do GSF to get. They are like achievements now.

I

Also you should give pvp in this game a try. I am normally a pve guy when I play MMORPGs but I have always found SWTORS pvp to be very fun.

No I shouldn't. I hate pvp and there is no way I will ever pvp. So I don't get the companion, no big deal but telling people they should give pvp a try when there are people that actually hate it? No thank you.

It is like me telling someone that hates to roleplay they should try roleplay.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

No I shouldn't. I hate pvp and there is no way I will ever pvp. So I don't get the companion, no big deal but telling people they should give pvp a try when there are people that actually hate it? No thank you.

You should get a group of roleplayers together to go PvP entirely in character. That would be amazing.

I have no problem with PVP getting rewards. But if 4X is intended as a PVP reward, it's a spectacularly poorly-conceived one. The PVE prerequisites for the quest (9 chapters of Fallen Empire, plus getting Yuun) took me twice as long as the actual PVP portion. (Granted, this is counting cutscenes, and I got enough wins that I only had to do 12 matches.) And it doesn't require competence at PVP, or even understanding of PVP. It barely requires effort; the "queue, zone in, move around enough not to get autokicked" strategy is perfectly effective. It's not a nice thing to do, and won't win many friends, but it'll get through the quest.

I think that this only feels like it was poorly done because the developers haven't communicated their intent properly.

I really think the developers need to explain, clearly, whether companions and the Alliance system is a "gotta catch 'em all" Pokemon game, or a system where you're only intended to get some companions.

What's wrong with that? I don't particularly hate RP, I just don't do it in MMORPGs. Although I don't care for it, I wouldn't be opposed if you suggested I try it. Why is that problematic? The developers should try to push people out of their comfort zones.

Swtor pvp - e peen contest " who has the most pvp gear" no skill required just gets boring

But this is the normal case of mmo pvp i much prefer battlefront for star wara pvp.

I do hope this thread helps Bioware to see the error in putting anything pve behind pvp until they make it skill based.

Swtor pvp - e peen contest " who has the most pvp gear" no skill required just gets boring

But this is the normal case of mmo pvp i much prefer battlefront for star wara pvp.

I do hope this thread helps Bioware to see the error in putting anything pve behind pvp until they make it skill based.

What makes 4X/Pierce PvE?

Companions are all PVE content hence the fact you cannot use them in pvp unless illum or w/e or dueling but you get the idea lol.

Ya, you can't use them in instanced PvP. Just like you can't summon a companion in an Ops group so they aren't PvE, right?

PvE can be so many things, it's difficult to claim any reward is "PvE" specific, but could be attributed to a particular area of PvE. You could say companions are for crafting, but I don't see a requirement to craft to obtain them. Companions are used in any open world PvP scenario just as they are used in any open world PvE scenario and I see no issue with making a companion that can be used for PvP to require PvP to obtain provided they don't prevent you from doing other content.

Ya, you can't use them in instanced PvP. Just like you can't summon a companion in an Ops group so they aren't PvE, right?

PvE can be so many things, it's difficult to claim any reward is "PvE" specific, but could be attributed to a particular area of PvE. You could say companions are for crafting, but I don't see a requirement to craft to obtain them. Companions are used in any open world PvP scenario just as they are used in any open world PvE scenario and I see no issue with making a companion that can be used for PvP to require PvP to obtain provided they don't prevent you from doing other content.

While I mostly agree with you, there is one companion that crafting is required for... granted, it doesn't have to be YOU that does the crafting, but somebody has to do it. That's Doctor Lokin. You have to give him TONS and TONS of biochem materials.

I like to do both but I lean much more toward pve content. I have no problem with pvp being use as a wall for companion rewards since they're pretty much fluff rewards now. They all do the same thing and you aren't missing out on something that can't get somewhere else via another companion(like the ones you automatically get through the KOTFE arcs) therefore companions are non-essential to anything you do in pve and so they are fair game to be used as rewards for a wide variety of challenges. Whether that was a good move or not is another issue entirely.

Also while SWTOR may be a primarily pve game that is does not make it a pve exclusive game and so it's not out of line for them to use the other aspects of the game as challenges. You're not entitled to all the fluff rewards of the game and asking that every challenge be tailored to be within the comfort zones of us pve'rs is unreasonable.

Just don't Roll on a PVP Server!

You can deal with missing out on the companion and or content because of your choice!

Remember Bioware said you have choices.

You really do need to read the thread, he's not on a PVP server. Warzone PVP is mandated for all people who want Pierce not just for those on PVP servers.