The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Class Conversation Style at last chapter...hate it.

Lunafox

To be fair, it's about as good as installing Windows 10, and then finding a part of the GUI that retains Windows 95. It's a very jarring experience.

Wait, there is actually something that retained W95 look? What?

I only encountered thing that go back maybe to Vista, but mostly back to W7

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seconded. It's so bizarre and out of place. They tried to spin it like "Hey, check out this cool KotOR throwback," and all I could think of was, "Hey, is it 15 years ago already?"

The insane thing is that legions of fanboys on this very forum actually believe the spin that this was a deliberate throwback and not a slapped-together half-assed cost-cutting measure.

The insane thing is that legions of fanboys on this very forum actually believe the spin that this was a deliberate throwback and not a slapped-together half-assed cost-cutting measure.

Erics comment during the livestream "that event isn't in our game" has me thinking that it may in fact, be a:

OMG we are BIOWARE how do we fix this game?

I dunno, I just started today

Oh, everyone love KOTOR, we still get compliments on it

We never worked on it. All those guys quit a decade ago.

Hey, we can make some stuff LOOK like it!!! they will eat it up. will we spin it as "classic"

I really think they expect us to be thrilled at 15 year old crap. I don't think it was fund driven at all.

I like classic style. Nice decission BW. More options:D Child of ME cannot in smth more difficult than a conversation wheel:confused:

p..s the best cutscenes and story in swtor since relize:D

Edited by Garruk

Already explained how their marketing spiel doesn't add up. If you're still drinking the Kool-Aid, nothing's gonna convince you, buddy.

That's not proof, that's still just speculation.

And Proof would convince me otherwise, yet no one ever provides proof when asked.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

You know how much content they could make if they cut QA? Dialogue? Cutscenes? Way more. But they never will because it will compromise the quality and/or feel of the game. "More quick content" can't be an excuse here, because, yes, VO comprises a large part of the feel and experience of the game. It's so much a part that it is a legitimate reason that people play this game and was one of the main marketing points when this game was initially launched. And what's worse is that this IS the alliance content. The personal, intimate content.

Here's a quote from the blog:

"Alliance stories will generally be more intimate and character driven, designed to complement and counterbalance the more ‘epic’ storyline of the Chapter stories. They’ll be very much about getting to know awesome characters, and controlling how your interactions unfold."

The intimacy is where voice acting is at it's most important. It's where ACTING is most important, and that's the very place it was cut. No less, in a game where all the content save for this new intimate content IS voice acted, suggesting an expectation for VO to be present throughout the game. Do you think any new player would get to this part of the game, having played the initial content or not, and not IMMEDIATELY be confused? In this very thread people are reporting that they thought it was a bug.

And I'd like people to remember that they did 'rehire' our initial 16 VAs for all the main content anyway (they actually have them hired for future content when they signed up for the game), so the Alliance content would only take extra time, rather than having to get the actors make themselves available for a new date. Lastly, the recent VA strike agreement was far too recent to affect anything in this expansion unless they wrote this content only in the past month.

Voice acting is part of this game, in a sense, it IS this game's feel and tone. To limit it is short-sighted and silly. Never compromise the tone and feel of content for more of it.

Edited by Maullum

I think it is mainly a budget or time issue, they are now releasing one expansion a year, they probably didn't have the time or didn't get the funding to get full voice acting in these alliance quests. I understand their reasons for it happening, if these are indeed the reasons.

Having said that, the immersion is gone. I loved having my wise cracking smuggler pull a smirk whilst saying some cocky chauvinistic line. You will never get that from just words. The cinematic's and the Voice acting is what made me fall in love with this game, and is what keeps me coming back every time there is new content.

I sub a couple months before everytime and always buy the expansion as soon as it comes out for the story. Please, please, please Bioware even if it costs a little more and takes a little longer, get back to full voice acting. I love that part of the game and to have it in the Star Wars Universe makes it all the better.

I think it is mainly a budget or time issue, they are now releasing one expansion a year, they probably didn't have the time or didn't get the funding to get full voice acting in these alliance quests. I understand their reasons for it happening, if these are indeed the reasons.

Having said that, the immersion is gone. I loved having my wise cracking smuggler pull a smirk whilst saying some cocky chauvinistic line. You will never get that from just words. The cinematic's and the Voice acting is what made me fall in love with this game, and is what keeps me coming back every time there is new content.

I sub a couple months before everytime and always buy the expansion as soon as it comes out for the story. Please, please, please Bioware even if it costs a little more and takes a little longer, get back to full voice acting. I love that part of the game and to have it in the Star Wars Universe makes it all the better.

It's only the alliance missions that use the classic conversation style. All the main missions are fully voiced as usual.

I guess this thread is proof that most players hate roleplaying and thinking about what they say during conversations. I can't begrudge bioware for making the profitable decision to do idiotic mass effect-style conversations but it makes me very sad all the same.

For those who are saying it is only for the Alliance stuff and there was 9 chapters of main story...You are wrong, The Alliance is chapter 9!! And the whole chapter nine(except its beginning) is with this retro style conversations. (I mean the quest when you are suppose to speak with Oggurobb is still according to my quest log a main story quest from chapter 9 and it is already in this Kotor like retro style and without any warning)

And even if it was just for the alliance, it is still a wrong decision to change it like this, it doesn't fit to this game and its supposedly cinematic storytelling whatsoever.

I would rather wait a bit longer for them to finish proper voice-overs than this! So immersion breaking. And it is not just about missing voiceovers, even the subtitles are in the wrong place and most of the screen is hidden behind some black wall. And the font is way too big....

I honestly too thought it is a bug at first (actually I started writing the ticket for it). Then I realise that my JK is mute and it is probably some bad kotor joke. You know, I'm kinda attached to her voice and now I don't have the heart to continue playing it until it's fixed(I consider this as intentional bug)

This outdated conversations are just wrong, aspecially for this game and I hope I will never see something like this in SWTOR again.

EDIT: I pretty much disagree with everything thay said about it:

These conversations are characterized by their more character-centric nature, both in terms of storyline and cinematography.
I think it is exact opposite. My character is ignored now if he/she can't talk, storyline is more chaotic thanks to this and cinematography? there is NONE in comparison with original SWTOR conversations! Edited by coremar

For those who are saying it is only for the Alliance stuff and there was 9 chapters of main story...You are wrong, The Alliance is chapter 9!! And the whole chapter nine(except its beginning) is with this retro style conversations. (I mean the quest when you are suppose to speak with Oggurobb is still according to my quest log a main story quest from chapter 9 and it is already in this Kotor like retro style and without any warning)

And even if it was just for the alliance, it is still a wrong decision to change it like this, it doesn't fit to this game and its supposedly cinematic storytelling whatsoever.

I would rather wait a bit longer for them to finish proper voice-overs than this! So immersion breaking. And it is not just about missing voiceovers, even the subtitles are in the wrong place and most of the screen is hidden behind some black wall. And the font is way too big....

I honestly too thought it is a bug at first (actually I started writing the ticket for it). Then I realise that my JK is mute and it is probably some bad kotor joke. You know, I'm kinda attached to her voice and now I don't have the heart to continue playing it until it's fixed(I consider this as intentional bug)

This outdated conversations are just wrong, aspecially for this game and I hope I will never see something like this in SWTOR again.

EDIT: I pretty much disagree with everything thay said about it:

I think it is exact opposite. My character is ignored now if he/she can't talk, storyline is more chaotic thanks to this and cinematography? there is NONE in comparison with original SWTOR conversations!

Because Chapter 9 is called the Alliance. And it is just the intro to the alliance system.

Is there a way to go back to the usual style, where your toon speaks and there are three options? I hate the ancient kotor way where your toon says nothing, just stands there and picks out of a few options. It's nice to have more options, but I hate my toon not speaking.

Please don't tell me that's how it's going to be from now on, cause it's awful. Convos in chapters 1-8 were fantastic, enjoyed the usual way this game does convos. The classic old style kotor way was awful and I hate it. If anyone knows how to make it go back to the usual way, if there is a way, please tell me, cause it's spoiling my enjoyment of what was otherwise an interesting fun time (except the end of chapter 1 and the end of chapter 5, where I almost lost my will to keep playing. :( )

Agreed, I think the problem here is they want to give more options and spend less money on voice acting. I mean look at the single player games with our normal radial choices and the conversations going, they could add that to SWTOR but instead they made us mutes for the recruiting stuff.

You guys really need to think about this in the long run. Had they fully voiced every conversation we will be having with everyone, you know... the stuff we are going to be grinding for the next year or so... we'd all be driven mad by the end of the month and our space bars would likely be fading much, much quicker.

Because Chapter 9 is called the Alliance. And it is just the intro to the alliance system.

Not buying that...I have specificaly the quest for chapter 9 which is already part of The Alliance thing, accoding to my quest log I didn't finished chapter 9. And why call it a whole chapter if it took 5 minutes It would be more like excuse for a chapter.

Also if it is meant to be after chapter 9, than they should've said so explicitly in the game. No, The Alliance is meant to be chapter 9 otherwise there is only 8 chapters, the Alliance intro doesn't count.

Edited by coremar

You guys really need to think about this in the long run. Had they fully voiced every conversation we will be having with everyone, you know... the stuff we are going to be grinding for the next year or so... we'd all be driven mad by the end of the month and our space bars would likely be fading much, much quicker.

Mine already is. I've taken to skipping through this crap just so I don't have to be reminded of their awful decision and put up with seeing my character look so stupid. I don't honestly care how much story I'm skipping, the experience is no fun if my character isn't interacting with the world around him.

Mine already is. I've taken to skipping through this crap just so I don't have to be reminded of their awful decision and put up with seeing my character look so stupid. I don't honestly care how much story I'm skipping, the experience is no fun if my character isn't interacting with the world around him.

I agree completely, I find this classic convo style horrible. It's not okay. :(

Doesn't make it any better :( It's ok if the story doesn't end there. It's ok if I have to flee because the enemy army is too big. But it's not ok that I'm getting forced to be defeated in a duel in which I'm clearly stronger and nearly die just because..

Yeah. This is infuriating.

If I'm not meant to kill that bastard yet DON'T HAVE ME FIGHT HIM YET.

Having me kick his *** in combat only to slam face first into a cutscene where he belittles me as being weak and pathetic and then "defeats me" is bull.

Did someone say that it'd be too many conversation's to do? Really?

Look at how many they have done so far, almost every quest (except dailies) is Voice acted, all companion interactions are Voice acted, main story, planetary, flashpoint, operation, hell even the battlegrounds have Voice acting.

No it's not too much to have suddenly a load of short conversations with a load of different people, not when they've been doing it for quests for so long. This is simply a problem of money and/or time.

Please don't keep this up for future patches.

So long as it stays confined to the OPTIONAL ALLIANCE system, I couldn't care less. But if that crap starts to creep into the main story and companions....

Yeah I kinda know what you mean, keep this limited to the alliance system and I won't be too bothered, even if the alliance system is technically a part of the main story. I have yet to see whether it influences companion conversations yet.