Companion Affection Achievements in Fallen Empire

EricMusco

I think there was a south park episode involving a chicken with a severed head, running around in an arena with choices on the floor....maybe that is what went down here.

There was also the Manatee tank with the beach balls. I think any of the listed decision making processes in this thread would have come up with more sensible decisions than whatever BW is using.

Edited by HarleysRule

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Republic/Imperial Squad Commander =/= Republic/Imperial Squad Leader.

Personally, I prefer the original title Squad Leader. For some reason it sounds less...boring. Please at least let us keep the old title. :(

Edited by evelynchk

Great, I only learn about the achievments and the title "Squad Leader" now, log on to check if I at least have the Imperial Squad Leader (since I have max affection with all Imp Companions) only to find that for some reason I have max affection with only half of the inquisitor comps. Not sure why that is since all companion bars say "10k".... :( But, alas, I am not rolling new toons to rush to something they will take away in KOTFE.

Great, I only learn about the achievments and the title "Squad Leader" now, log on to check if I at least have the Imperial Squad Leader (since I have max affection with all Imp Companions) only to find that for some reason I have max affection with only half of the inquisitor comps. Not sure why that is since all companion bars say "10k".... :( But, alas, I am not rolling new toons to rush to something they will take away in KOTFE.

IIRC you also have to have all the conversations and finish any side quest they might have.

For the NiM Operations Achievements:

• Any Achievements which you have earned for these Nightmare Modes will be moved to a new Archived section under Operations, and can no longer be earned.

Why the same thing not being done for these Companion Affection Achievements? (Or is that what is happening and it's just not that clear from the wording?)

A "Feats of Strength"-style tab for time-barred / potentially unobtainable Achievements seems like a good addition to the Achievements system overall> If you're already doing that with the NiM Ops Achievements, then not doing it for these Companion Achievements seems like an extremely odd choice.

IIRC you also have to have all the conversations and finish any side quest they might have.

That was the strange thing, I did all that, but with most of my Imp toons nearly 4 years ago. :D So I checked again, and I was also missing max affection with the SW and BH comps. SO I gave them a gift with "small affection gain" and voila, this maxed out their affection granting the "For the EMpire" achievement and the title... :D

I would like to thank Bioware for making us create a second Sith Warrior to have the achievement with the stupid Jaesa Williams...

Apparently most of us just wasted our time on this one...

First of all, I'm disappointed that the achievement is being removed, rather than archived, since other achievements are being archived.

That having been said - Affection is going away in-system. Influence is replacing it. I think we've been told that affection gains will be transferred in some way to Influence gains, but I don't think we've been given details. No affection = no way to check the affection, so the achievement has to go away. I'm assuming there must be some mechanical reason they can't archive the achievement; but if they can archive the NiM ones that are going away (which pretty much have to be legacy flags), I'm not sure why they can't archive this one.

Unless Musco misspoke when he said "going away" and they mean "archiving." Which he really ought to correct if that's the case.

One down-check for 4.0 for me (and I don't even have a full set of these affections). I'm hardly going to cry in my beer over it, but still.

I'm annoyed as hell about the achievements being removed, BUT as long as my 10k affection for all 42 companions REMAIN and actually help with the influence/presence thing come 4.0, well then *SIGH* I'll just have to deal with it.

But I SERIOUSLY believe Bioware needs to do polls or have a 'what do you like/hate' stream or something. I'm not saying they have to add every single thing we want, or remove every single thing we want, but actually SEEING what makes us happy or annoyed would be nice.

It's THEIR game, but WE'RE the ones paying and playing.

Two questions:

Why do you remove it?

And why do you tell it to us two weeks before release?

I spent the last weeks just getting the missing companion affection. I spent hours on clicking gifts, wasted credits on at least 5 characters (gifts, legacy perks, missions) - while I still wait to get my achievements back for my sith inquisitor that still are missing

Edited by Fynnlagh

I'm trying to be optimistic here and hope that they are not taking away our Republic/Imperial Squad Leader titles, they are simply adding another "Commander" title to the roster. Is there any precedent for them taking away earned titles in the live game? (Not talking about when the game was in beta here.) I can't see how letting us keep our titles harms anything, while taking them away only angers players. The only reason why I pushed for 10,000 on my last few companions was for that title, honestly.

I wish they would give us a final answer on this though.

Edited by CloudCastle

Hey Eric,

So I currently have the Republic Squad Leader title, but I'm not even close on having all the 1,000 kills achievements... does this mean that when 4.0 goes live I will lose the title? I guess I misunderstood what you said previously about not wanting to disregard the folks who had farmed tons of affection, and that those things would be relevant - I thought that meant having max affection might affect story options in 4.0, so I spent about a month saving and then spent millions of credits on companion gifts. Now that I know the achievements are being removed, it would be cool if we could have some kind of reward for having gotten the squad leader or loyalty achievements, like the Makeb weekly? Maybe even just a huuuge credit box :p Either way, I'd really like it if I could keep my squad leader title! Would greatly appreciate a reply :)

I guess i am not understanding everything with this, so i will ask questions :

(before you said it was answered into this thread, i really tried to read it, but between the critics and and the good, it is really hard to make a good lecture of it)

I created lately 2 new level 60 and class, and i was working on their achievements *affection, including the fights with for 1000*

I ran for days my crafters with the Companions gifts, i am now up to 22 M credits spend in missions (running level 5+ companions gifts, mainly avoiding the moderate) but i am not finished yet.

So do i have to make a choice now between the affection and the Kill 1000 ?

or can i go on and still raise both affection and kill 1000 as they will be swapped by the new system ?

Thank you

So...are they actually taking the achievements away from us? Or are they taking the points away from them, and archiving them?

My concern is the Republic/Imperial Squad Leader titles. Are we losing them?

They are removing the achievements and all the points they used to give, check the original post it clearly says removing. If they take away the titles aswell I do not know.

I still don't know if I should get the last missing companions to 10k affection for the titles. The credits and time I spent is gone anyway, but if the title will be removed too it will be even worse.

Bioware makes so many terrible decisions in this game. I almost regret coming back.

Edited by Fynnlagh

Bioware makes so many terrible decisions in this game. I almost regret coming back.

I think they are ok, I look foward to the expansion and I really like the rest they have done. It is only the thingy with the achievements that bugs me a bit, but it is only to "cut the losses" and move on I guess.

I do not think you should regret it, enjoy the rest of the fun it is only 44 achievements and perhaps 2 titles we lose :tran_cool:

Edited by Icestar

Removing achievements is a silly and rather short-sighted move by Bioware. You're setting a bad precedent, now, as players, we have no idea what achievements are "worth" going after because seemingly on a whim, they can be removed as if they never existed.

The appeal of going after achievements is that they are forever.... that's why people dedicate themselves to some absolutely ridiculous grinds or hair-pulling mechanics. Once they've managed it, it's there forever, as a badge of honour.

Where as it may seem incredibly pointless and trivial to some, you cannot deny that many people play these kinds of games for these types of features. Achievement hunting plays a big role in extending content, at least for some portion of the playerbase.

Arbitrarily removing certain ones altogether and making it seem like they never existed is baffling. It isn't game-breaking or heinous enough to warrant an un-sub, however it really raises the question, of why Bioware would remove this. Just leave it in as legacy, archive, whatever, and proceed with the planned changes to the new content. This way, you don't upset anyone needlessly, and you create new "content" to keep players playing.

Edited by RavageXX

I'm confused.. if you create a level 1 character after 4.0, will you still give gifts to your class companions as you progress through the story to increase [affection/influence] which will unlock further companion conversations until you reach the last one?

The Legacy unlocks, particularly Presence, was the important thing for me. I barely knew of the existence of the achievements until now, but removing them like this is lame. If they were removing the Presence bonus (the main reason I did them), I'd consider quitting this game for good.

Edited by RAVM

Only the achievements disapper. You still gain a benefit from having achieved enough affection to complete all conversations/companion quests.

Your presence boost does not go away, only the achievement and the achievement points associated with it.

I have seen some questions about the Global Legacy Unlocks tied to Companions (the Presence bonus and reduced CD on Heroic Moment). Those are remaining exactly the same, so the benefit is still there for maxing your companions Affection and completing their storylines.

-eric

From this same thread.