This game is absolutely fantastic!

Tripleforce

Just to preface, I played WoW from 2005 - 2011 (with several multi month long breaks in-between...).

I bought SWTOR with high high hopes that Bioware would capture the essence of KOTOR 1 and 2 even within the restrictions of the MMORPG platform. So far, as a level 13 Sith Assassin, I'd say they are successful.

Some things I really enjoy:

1) The dialogue system is great. Its not as fleshed out as a single player games would be but it is still much better than any questing system I've seen in other MMOs. Many of the dialogue options are hilarious and remind me of what you could say in Mass Effect and Dragonage.

2) The crafting system, though I am not very far into it, is a breath of fresh air. Involving your companion is a great idea and leaves you feeling as though you are progressing in crafting and in other aspects of the game simultaneously.

3) The combat is very smooth. I missed auto attack at first but now I can see why it wasn't meant to be in this game. Also, lightsabers and force lightning is always a good thing to have.

4) Fast travel options. I like the improved hearthstone concept.

5) Modifiable gear. So I can look awesome for all 50 levels? Sweet.

6) Different qualities of gear for each level. This sort of reminded me of how they did the gear quality scaling in Dragonage. I like how you can be fully decked out in purples at level 15 (or in Dragonage's case five star gear at a low level). You could say there are low level epics in WoW too but it isn't nearly as fleshed out as SWTORs concept of having tiers of gear for each level.

7) I like the background music from KOTOR and KOTOR 2, very nostalgic.

Now for some criticism:

1) The only bad thing I can say about this game is that sometimes the instance design makes it so that it's hard to find anyone else in the world. Also, Bioware has a long way to go in making dynamic living and breathing worlds.

One thing I miss from WoW is that the towns always felt alive (at least by Cataclysm) with things going on in them. Ambient noises also made the world feel less empty in WoW. Sometimes I feel that my own footsteps should not be the main thing I am hearing in the Sith Empire's capital city.

To me at least the cities and towns in SWTOR feel a bit too much like Kirkwall in terms of lifelessness.

Besides that though this is a great game. I'd still prefer KOTOR 3 over an MMO but either way, I can safely say that Bioware has made another winner.

Yeah, talk again when you're around level 30+.

Level 13, lol. What, you just played for...about 6-7 hours, is it ?

I'm pretty sure what I like won't be changing at level 30+, and if they do go ahead and outline it for me. And no, I've played longer than that. I just take my time.

The combat is very smooth. I missed auto attack at first but now I can see why it wasn't meant to be in this game. Also, lightsabers and force lightning is always a good thing to have.

Play a sith warrior or jedi knight who use rage generation and then you'll realize the removal of auto attack was a poor decision.

5) Modifiable gear. So I can look awesome for all 50 levels? Sweet.

But get ready at level 50, because this game has some of the worst looking end game gear I've ever seen in an MMO.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19765-operations-gear-preview/page-2

Edited by BrambLed

Yeah, talk again when you're around level 30+.

Level 13, lol. What, you just played for...about 6-7 hours, is it ?

Is there some way to block from seeing someone's posts on the forums? All this Chomag guy does is troll and QQ.

Really enjoying the game as well. I think this is the first game where I've paid attention fully to the story.

Play a sith warrior or jedi knight who use rage generation and then you'll realize the removal of auto attack was a poor decision.

But get ready at level 50, because this game has some of the worst looking end game gear I've ever seen in an MMO.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19765-operations-gear-preview/page-2

I lived through Mage Tier 1 and 2, I'm impervious to ugly raid gear LOL.

I play a Sith Warrior and I love the rage mechanic. I just don't think a lot of people have a clue what they're doing with the JK/SW classes.

Also, you can mod your gear at 50 with the mods in the epic gear, you don't need to use that gear.

Poor decision? No, it's not, you have a saber strike (or whatever is called for your class) to use until you ganerate rage. It is the better way, because without autoattack it's your skills only, it's more balanced.

So, I am 30+ and don't see any problems so far, what you guys want exactly??? Are we really playing the same game? Just seeing Alderaan, gorgeous... What exactly do you want I ask again, this game is so detailed, so rich in story, so involving... Sorry, but all this QQ's totally doesn't make sense. Either you are skipping all the content and rushing, or I don't know. The game is great.

Edited by liquidpension

Is there some way to block from seeing someone's posts on the forums? All this Chomag guy does is troll and QQ.

Really enjoying the game as well. I think this is the first game where I've paid attention fully to the story.

Click his name, then click the 'ignore' link, voila :)

Got him ignored a long time ago.

Poor decision? No, it's not, you have a saber strike (or whatever is called for your class) to use until you ganerate rage. It is the better way, because without autoattack it's your skills only, it's more balanced.

So, I am 30+ and don't see any problems so far, what you guys want exactly??? Are we really playing the same game? Just seeing Alderaan, gorgeous... What exactly do you want I ask again, this game is so detailed, so rich in story, so involving... Sorry, but all this QQ's totally doesn't make sense. Either you are skipping all the content and rushing, or I don't know. The game is great.

Yeah I don't understand either, I was reading these forums and feeling depressed at all these negative posts, and then was amazed when I started actually playing myself.

I agree with you on the static environments.. It's a great game, but it just doesn't feel alive! I enjoy games where everything moves, and the sounds are real.

WoW, for the first few expansions, had pretty static environments.. But the ambiance, and atmosphere is really is what brought the world to live. The game looks beautiful, graphically. But it has been tried and tested that players prefer ambiance and atmosphere over graphics.

I play a Sith Warrior and I love the rage mechanic. I just don't think a lot of people have a clue what they're doing with the JK/SW classes.

Yes, because it's so hard to figure out....geez. The point is removal of auto-attacking for standard attacks takes away a lot of fluidity for melee-classes. If you can't see that, you're an imbecile.

I agree with you on the static environments.. It's a great game, but it just doesn't feel alive! I enjoy games where everything moves, and the sounds are real.

WoW, for the first few expansions, had pretty static environments.. But the ambiance, and atmosphere is really is what brought the world to live. The game looks beautiful, graphically. But it has been tried and tested that players prefer ambiance and atmosphere over graphics.

If Wow is your game, well I think you're not chained to SWTOR, are you?

People just forgot that in a mmo there is an RPG, sorry, but this game inclines on the RPG, and the MMO is there as well.

If Wow is your game, well I think you're not chained to SWTOR, are you?

People just forgot that in a mmo there is an RPG, sorry, but this game inclines on the RPG, and the MMO is there as well.

This, in no way, has anything to do with what I said..

Style of gaming has NOTHING to do with ambiance, atmosphere, or graphical fidelity... In no way did I ever say that WoW is my "Game", I merely put WoW as a comparison.. Why? Because WoW has one of the most static environments I have ever seen in an MMO, besides EQ. But since WoW is the most popular MMO, I used it in a comparison.

Please stick to the subject at hand, and leave those snide remarks, that make no sense, out of it :)

You have got to be kidding....

These so called "lively" areas you speak of eventually became deadzones in WoW. No reason to go back to 80% of the world created in WoW once you level past there.

Over time this game will be lively in "all" areas as you have many benefits to each location and there are reasons to revisit areas, wheteher it be datacrons or commendations farming.

I would like it if eventually they create an outer rim world that is vast in exploration, but not overkill to the point where when they make a new zone it totally kills the other zones, which is what WoW does.

Been to the Barrens lately?.....LOL

This, in no way, has anything to do with what I said..

Style of gaming has NOTHING to do with ambiance, atmosphere, or graphical fidelity... In no way did I ever say that WoW is my "Game", I merely put WoW as a comparison.. Why? Because WoW has one of the most static environments I have ever seen in an MMO, besides EQ. But since WoW is the most popular MMO, I used it in a comparison.

Please stick to the subject at hand, and leave those snide remarks, that make no sense, out of it :)

Ok :),

I just mean that ambience and atmosphere are there in the game. Probably Bioware are little too precautios and that's why there are those shards which kinda divide the players, but I don't feel lonely at all, in very little time I am sure, most of the issues will be addressed.

i see it now too chode or chomag or whoeer u all know just tears down every ones post good or bad. who hurt you chode... who hurt you.

im glad that someone who isnt picking this game to pieces beause its not WOW with lightsabers, decided to post thank you.

i love this game as well.

The point is removal of auto-attacking for standard attacks takes away a lot of fluidity for melee-classes.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The game is infinitely more enjoyable when you play the ranged classes. Melee classes feel clunky.

And to everyone reminding me about the rage generation abilities... no **** sherlock, I just think they were poorly implemented without much thought.