Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Nico Okarr

SebastiaanZ

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that he will be granted as a level 60+ quest-token similar to Treek, probably sometime around chapter 4-6. It doesn't make sense to get him before the events of KotFE. It also doesn't make sense to get him and then not be able to use him for KotFE. Most logical introduction for him is that he was also frozen in carbonite, long ago. He was in his late 30s-early 40s in "Return", which happened around 30 years prior to "level 1". Take note of how much Sateel Shan has aged between "Return" and now.

My guess is that he will be granted as a level 60+ quest-token similar to Treek, probably sometime around chapter 4-6. It doesn't make sense to get him before the events of KotFE. It also doesn't make sense to get him and then not be able to use him for KotFE. Most logical introduction for him is that he was also frozen in carbonite, long ago. He was in his late 30s-early 40s in "Return", which happened around 30 years prior to "level 1". Take note of how much Sateel Shan has aged between "Return" and now.

The terms state that all rewards will be delivered by ingame mail as soon as the expansion hits. They made no special mention of alternative requirements for this specific reward, so I believe it is safe to assume that the companion or the means to get this companion will not be sent only once you reach a certain level. This of course does not mean anything as to when you can actually use the companion, but I am guessing level 10 because of the following:

First, it seems unlikely to me that they'd give this companion a significant story presence in kotfe, if any, because this is 'just' a sub reward, I can't imagine they'd lock out any significant story content for people who weren't subbed (or even around yet) in a very short time frame within the lifespan of the game. So starting at lvl60/kotfe start would not be needed.

Secondly, I suspect that while HK-51 was something more than just a companion, a short quest line, most likely without considering the addition of more companions later on, with Treek they set a 'standard'. They couldn't take away HK from levels 1-9 from people, but I believe with Treek they set things up for how they wanted to go about future non-story companions. A token retrievable at any time, usable at level 10.

tl;dr - pretty sure it will be a token usable at level 10

Edited by cyrusramsey

The terms state that all rewards will be delivered by ingame mail as soon as the expansion hits. They made no special mention of alternative requirements for this specific reward, so I believe it is safe to assume that the companion or the means to get this companion will not be sent only once you reach a certain level. This of course does not mean anything as to when you can actually use the companion, but I am guessing level 10 because of the following:

First, it seems unlikely to me that they'd give this companion a significant story presence in kotfe, if any, because this is 'just' a sub reward, I can't imagine they'd lock out any significant story content for people who weren't subbed (or even around yet) in a very short time frame within the lifespan of the game. So starting at lvl60/kotfe start would not be needed.

Secondly, I suspect that while HK-51 was something more than just a companion, a short quest line, most likely without considering the addition of more companions later on, with Treek they set a 'standard'. They couldn't take away HK from levels 1-9 from people, but I believe with Treek they set things up for how they wanted to go about future non-story companions. A token retrievable at any time, usable at level 10.

tl;dr - pretty sure it will be a token usable at level 10

Getting the item delivered at level 1 via email does not equate to being able to access the token based quest, if that is the route they go.

Getting the item delivered at level 1 via email does not equate to being able to access the token based quest, if that is the route they go.

Agreed. Subs get the 4 crystal pack but can't use until level 10. I'm just glad to have another Minion at my disposal :)

• Dev Post
So Bioware ... another question. At what level will Nico Okarr be available for new toons? Say you start from scratch as a lvl 1, will he be available like HK directly or from lvl 10 like Treek?

This is a great question. Nico Okarr works a bit differently than the Companions you are comparing him too. To avoid any spoilers I don't want to say too much, but you recruit Nico Okarr into your Alliance in Knights of the Fallen Empire, and have him as a Companion thereafter.

-eric

This is a great question. Nico Okarr works a bit differently than the Companions you are comparing him too. To avoid any spoilers I don't want to say too much, but you recruit Nico Okarr into your Alliance in Knights of the Fallen Empire, and have him as a Companion thereafter.

-eric

So he's part of the story, basically?

-eric

Does this mean that if you don't play through fallen empire you can't get him as a companion despite being advertised as part of July's/August 10th subscription?

-eric

Sounds like he will not be usable outside of the KotFE story missions .

I'm very afraid that all the new companions will work like this and we will be stuck with our old companions outside of the KotFE mini game adventure they are giving us, depressing.

Maybe not, he does say thereafter...

Edited by Monumenta

-eric

How does his age fit in? He's not a young man in Return trailer.

Well it wouldn't have made much sense for a Knight to have him during the story -" Hey T3, you say you lost your old master and haven't seen him again, even though he's standing right next to you"?

Bit of an annoyance to me - I won't have KotFE for a few months, and was looking forward to running around the galaxy with him. Ahh well.

Does this mean that if you don't play through fallen empire you can't get him as a companion despite being advertised as part of July's/August 10th subscription?

One doesn't exclude the other. It's still a reward for subscription. You just need to play KotFE to get him :rak_01:

This companion recruiting from other classes seems to be getting annoying. You hyped it all up Bioware, made us all hope we can finally go through game content with any companion we'd like, and the way it sounds now ... well sorry but if this is going the way it seems to be going, with recruitable companions only usuable in KotFE areas, would be really DISAPPOINTING. Better clarify this quickly Eric, if you don't want an uproar like the Slot Machine fiasco, which you never bothered to comment on anymore after one or two posts.

To be fair, nowhere in that post did Eric Musco even remotely imply that you wouldn't be able to use Nico outside of Knights of etc- in fact, "... thereafter" significantly implies the contrary- just that the unlock quest for him happens in that area. Given that that area is the storyline for which he was created, as part of that expansion, that makes sense.

This companion recruiting from other classes seems to be getting annoying. You hyped it all up Bioware, made us all hope we can finally go through game content with any companion we'd like, and the way it sounds now ... well sorry but if this is going the way it seems to be going, with recruitable companions only usuable in KotFE areas, would be really DISAPPOINTING. Better clarify this quickly Eric, if you don't want an uproar like the Slot Machine fiasco, which you never bothered to comment on anymore after one or two posts.

u wot m8? I think you understood them wrong. They never said you would be able to go through game content with any companion. They always described the changes in relation to KotFE and they also warned that they were doing something with companions and their influence on the story. So it was as clear as crystal that you wouldn't be able to recruit every companion you want at the beginning of the game. We need to wait until a particular companion has his part in the story.

Of course we will be able to use companions we gain in KotFE outside this expansion. Why would Bioware disallow that? It would cause outrage.

Edited by PavSalco

u wot m8? I think you understood them wrong. They never said you would be able to go through game content with any companion. They always described the changes in relation to KotFE and they also warned that they were doing something with companions and their influence on the story. So it was as clear as crystal that you wouldn't be able to recruit every companion you want at the beginning of the game. We beed to wait until a particular companion has his part in the story.

No I didn't understand them wrong, and from what I see on the forums ... many people on this forums expect the same as I did.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.