Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ilum takes bad design to new level, it's clear Bioware didn't learn from Warhammer.

ReRuined

Let me explain the zone first.

There are 5 objectives. Each faction can cap and control each objective at any time, they aren't linked in anyway. When you cap an objective, you get a stacking buff (up to 5 stacks) that increases the valor gain in warzones (up to 200 with max stacks.) This buff lasts 30 mins. Also, there is daily for taking control of 5 objectives. That is the only way to complete it.

So, in short, to get the buff and complete the daily, you have to let the enemy succeed in capping the points. There is no reason to pvp at all in the zone. You get no valor or no commendations for pvping. You actually hurt yourself by stopping them from capping points.

Who designed this? Who thought this was a good idea? Did you not pay attention Warhammer at all?

Mutually assured progress is a terrible, terrible design and gameplay concept. It's like you guys designed this zone to only look good in promo video. If this is the future of the world pvp in the game, you will be losing subs left and right.

I shouldn't have the opposing faction getting on level 1 alts and asking me to flip the nodes so they can complete their daily.

Edited by ReRuined

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the game is terrible in general. lack of learning from warhammer was a big mistake, so much potential wasted because they focused on cut scenes. Combat in general is bland and boring, that makes pvp bad in itself, enough so no matter what you do with this very static world it wont matter.

Let me explain the zone first.

There are 5 objectives. Each faction can cap and control each objective at any time, they aren't linked in anyway. When you cap an objective, you get a stacking buff (up to 5 stacks) that increases the valor gain in warzones (up to 200 with max stacks.) This buff lasts 30 mins. Also, there is daily for taking control of 5 objectives. That is the only way to complete it.

So, in short, to get the buff and complete the daily, you have to let the enemy succeed in capping the points. There is no reason to pvp at all in the zone. You get no valor or no commendations for pvping. You actually hurt yourself by stopping them from capping points.

Who designed this? Who thought this was a good idea? Did you not pay attention Warhammer at all?

Mutually assured progress is a terrible, terrible design and gameplay concept. It's like you guys designed this zone to only look good in promo video. If this is the future of the world pvp in the game, you will be losing subs left and right.

I shouldn't have the opposing faction getting on level 1 alts and asking me to flip the nodes so they can complete their daily.

That had this in Hellfire Peninsula in WoW as well. Blizzard learned. Sadly, Bioware didn't take notes on this one.

o man... how many times was this brought up in beta

its sad really.... reallllllly sad

It worries me that this was brought up awhile ago and before hand. They talk about having multiple teams working on things, but yet this makes it through the concept phase and QA testing. It suggests that this is the behavoir that Bioware wants.

Gabe was on the Warhammer team, you expected anything different?

Damn, the game industry looks like some american soap opere. Every character ****ed some other character at some point and they all go round and round. Looking Beverly Hills 90210 here.

Edited by Chomag

Damn, the game industry looks like some american soap opere. Every character ****ed some other character at some point and they all go round and round. Looking Beverly Hills 90210 here.

Unfortunately, bad game devs tend to be bad in other games/companies. This seems to be yet another example of it.

Gersh was the reason that I quit playing Rift. I think a lot of people quit because of him, although they aren't entirely aware of who he is or the damage he caused. Haha.

He destroyed 2 games with terrible balance decisions, I wonder who hires him next?

Gersh was the reason that I quit playing Rift. I think a lot of people quit because of him, although they aren't entirely aware of who he is or the damage he caused. Haha.

ha! i do now! glad i was reading throught this thread, i was just wondering how rift was doing since i left a lil while ago.

I still don't get how mythic could **** this up in Warhammer, after they had a working system in Daoc, to enforce capture point / Keep defense, by guild claiming and improving and giving bonus to the Guild / Realm that holds it.

A system where you only get rewarded for taking a point will never work, because then it becomes trading capture points. Make those capture points mean something, like giving the realm more Valor i.e. for 3 +2.5% for 4 +5 for 5 +7.5% or make the rewards bigger. The problem is that Illum is also sharded so there is basicly no persistent world pvp where such a system would work.

Well, one could say, why not pvp for the sake of pvping? And see the daily quest as a nice adition. But we all know that does not work in todays times, so besides that...;)

Its allways the same. Such objective based systems only work (or work better at least) if the incentive lies in defending objectives, not attacking them.

Well, one could say, why not pvp for the sake of pvping? And see the daily quest as a nice adition. But we all know that does not work in todays times, so besides that...;)

Its allways the same. Such objective based systems only work (or work better at least) if the incentive lies in defending objectives, not attacking them.

Why? I can pvp in warzone if I just want to pvp. I don't want to pvp that results in hindering myself with no benefits at all.

Funny how people who think PvPing should be its own reward would never support getting no rewards for PvEing.

Edited by Caelrie

Here's the good news; it can still change.

No doubt it can change. My worry is the mindset behind the current implementation. This very same design has failed in several other MMO's. Just thinking about it for longer 20 secs, you would realize that it is a bad idea. Yet somehow, it got past the concept phase and is actually implemented into the game.

Edited by ReRuined

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.