Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Guild Wars 2 becomes f2p

PavSalco

If anyone can play Guild Wars 2 for free now, does that mean we’re switching business models to free-to-play? Are we going to be one of those games that aggressively monetizes free players through microtransactions? Absolutely not. Guild Wars 2 remains the same game it always has been. We’re making the core game experience free because we’re confident that anyone who loves Guild Wars 2 will buy Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-for-free-today/

The difference between account types:

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157

As you can see GW2 doesn't punish for playing it in a f2p model unlike SWTOR. All the restrictions are imposed to decrease gold sellers' capabilities. You don't have a limited number of pvp matches to play nor you have limited loot from dungeons. Quickbars are not hidden behind the paywall. That's how a good f2p system is done.

Yeah, but its not Free-2-Play as SWTOR. Its Buy-2-Play.

You have to buy the game, before start playing it.

No. It WAS buy to play, but as of today, the base game is free to play. Thus the original post. The expansion is buy to play, as opposed to SWTOR's semi-sub based model.

No. It WAS buy to play, but as of today, the base game is free to play. Thus the original post. The expansion is buy to play, as opposed to SWTOR's gambling pack-based model.

Fixed that for you.

I might have to check that game out. I've never played any of them and I'm getting quite bored with the stuff out there atm. Skyforge has some of my interest and I'm still logging in here occasionally but that's it. I'll have no problem buying their product if I like it. It's a sound plan.

As you can see GW2 doesn't punish for playing it in a f2p model unlike SWTOR. All the restrictions are imposed to decrease gold sellers' capabilities.

Squad chat - Unlocked for each character at level 30

Looking For Group - Unlocked for each character at level 30

Well those restrictions aren't that good for a f2p model, especially when you consider it's an MMO.

well, so much for the "great" game that would prove that the RPG trinity system (Tank, heal, DPS) is a bad model, and that endgame does not matter, that a great game would be "horizontal progression".

there is another thing saying they are releasing raids now, and they have had gear being useful (and thus a level of vertical progression being important) for some time now.

As you can see GW2 doesn't punish for playing it in a f2p model unlike SWTOR. All the restrictions are imposed to decrease gold sellers' capabilities. You don't have a limited number of pvp matches to play nor you have limited loot from dungeons. Quickbars are not hidden behind the paywall. That's how a good f2p system is done.

You can get a free account, but to get the most out of the game, you must buy it, such as getting more character slots (and other such things). This "free" thing is basically a free trial for those who want to try the game before deciding to buy it. Let me make this clear: the game hasn't changed business models. It is still a Buy to play game but with a free trial system added to it.

You can get a free account, but to get the most out of the game, you must buy it, such as getting more character slots (and other such things). This "free" thing is basically a free trial for those who want to try the game before deciding to buy it. Let me make this clear: the game hasn't changed business models. It is still a Buy to play game but with a free trial system added to it.

then buy that logic, Swtor is still P2P as well, since F2P players are basically playing a dumbed down trial.

then buy that logic, Swtor is still P2P as well, since F2P players are basically playing a dumbed down trial.

TOR IS pay to play. they can call it f2p till cows come how, but its nothing but glorified extended trial. even if you buy unlocks for everything possible... its still annoyingly restricted vs subscription unless you are a very casual player.

Sure GW2 has a better f2p system than this game. But who wants to play it? Not me. I tried it before and wasn't impressed. If I'm going to play a fantasy setting mmo I'd rather play WoW.

to each their own. I'm playing it on and off, have been since early acess. its different. its the game that I play when I just feel like wondering off and going whenever, without clear goal in mind, in part becasue while Skyrim is also great for that, aesthetically I actualy prefer GW2 in some ways. WoW nowadays is even more linear than SWTOR, among other things. it just doesn't provide the same experience.

and honestly, they are mainly going with that f2p core game to attract more people to buying expansion

^ That may all be true, but I like it... I wouldn't try it otherwise, but I just downloaded the game to see if it is interesting...

If it is, I'm happy to pay for it and sub, doesn't bother me... but I don't like buying games that might suck...

The fact is anyone who would have gotten Guild Wars 2 would have well got a copy by now. Thus going F2P isn't the worst idea in the world.

Also if you think TOR's F2P is bad? I've seen a lot worse, Age of Conan has a awful one. I know some games, mostly some of the F2P Shooters don't let you "buy" a weapon or what not, rather you pay X amount to "rent" a weapon for a couple of hours.

I personally think that there shouldn't be any F2P games at all. Games are goods and goods cost money. Nothing comes for free, not even death. I have no problem paying for stuff I like to do, for example video games or buying a ticket for a local amateur football team, although I could show my coaching license and get in for free.

If Swtor and GW2 would both not be available for free, we wouldn't have to discuss about it and could instead just play.

I personally think that there shouldn't be any F2P games at all. Games are goods and goods cost money. Nothing comes for free, not even death. I have no problem paying for stuff I like to do, for example video games or buying a ticket for a local amateur football team, although I could show my coaching license and get in for free.

If Swtor and GW2 would both not be available for free, we wouldn't have to discuss about it and could instead just play.

Swtor would not be around if you had to pay for it.............

f2p, or rather "freemium" is a better model in terms of revenue. This game would have already been shut down if it stayed subscription only, now with micro-transactions they make more money than ever. Then there's moba's, they don't charge but look how much money they bring in.

Edited by Darth-Rammstein

f2p, or rather "freemium" is a better model in terms of revenue. This game would have already been shut down if it stayed subscription only, now with micro-transactions they make more money than ever. Then there's moba's, they don't charge but look how much money they bring in.

Short term, even medium term, you're right. Long term... We don't know. Look at Zynga, creator of 'Farmville' (Never played any of those sorts of games myself... Other than Fallout: Shelter, which I won't spend a penny on). Once raking in billions, now seems to be losing money the last couple of years - Though it did make the rookie mistake of expanding too far, too quickly.

Short term, even medium term, you're right. Long term... We don't know. Look at Zynga, creator of 'Farmville' (Never played any of those sorts of games myself... Other than Fallout: Shelter, which I won't spend a penny on). Once raking in billions, now seems to be losing money the last couple of years - Though it did make the rookie mistake of expanding too far, too quickly.

Those are phone games though, and are a VERY different beast then games like swtor and other F2P mmos. nearly EVERY mmo that has gone F2P has gone more profit and still is then when they were P2P.

well.. swtor is not really f2p anyways. what you get for free is extended trial. swtor is a hybrid model and now they are tying future content to subscriptions, so....

Then go play GW2 if that's how a good F2P system is done.

I played some in the Beta and didn't like it at all. Played GW1 seven years.. I really enjoyed that. Still pop on occasionally. I have no interest in GW2. Some like it more power to them. Just not my cup of tea. Just a note: They had the best follower system I have seen on GW1. Heroes really worked well.

The fact is anyone who would have gotten Guild Wars 2 would have well got a copy by now. Thus going F2P isn't the worst idea in the world.

Also if you think TOR's F2P is bad? I've seen a lot worse, Age of Conan has a awful one. I know some games, mostly some of the F2P Shooters don't let you "buy" a weapon or what not, rather you pay X amount to "rent" a weapon for a couple of hours.

Rent a weapon? Good thing I don't play shooters.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.