Livestream Video with hair showing under Vaylins hood...

XiamaraSimi

So the video shows a lock of brown hair curling down the side of her neck under her hood.

Does this mean you guys finally made it so we wont be bald under hoods or are you being jerks and only letting her be special like that?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Edited by XiamaraSimi
Putting correct name/phrasing

That character was Vaylin, or Valkorian's daughter.

Thats the one, regardless, until now all humanoids in game, be they PC or NPC have been bald under their hoods, which is why i asked.

Not going to lie, that will be messed up if shes the only one allowed to not be Naired by hoods in the game...

Maybe this portends a hood toggle!

I still don't understand why there isn't a hood toggle...I mean helmets, or at least some, toggle hoods off already. So obviously there is some of the functionality there...just no hood down model on all the chest pieces with hoods. Couldn't they just make the hood down a helmet model that you can toggle on while simultaneously toggling off the hood up model like existing helmets do? Just a thought.

Maybe this portends a hood toggle!

One can hope. Would be one of the most awesome things to come out of SWTOR during these years post-launch. Being from east Europe, Im only now starting to watch the devstream archive.

Edited by Karkais

Back on target, regardless of hood toggle (entirely different issue then hair being visible under hoods)

Will we be able to actually have hair under our hoods finally or are you taking the troll level over 9000 by only letting Vaylin not be bald under hoods...

I highly doubt that. My bet is on this specific model being designed in that particular manner and no one else. Of course we can see more NPC characters with their predetermined hair and hoods in the future.

If I'm not mistaken a player character can have up to 40 different hairstyles. These hairstyles are of different length and shape which means Bioware would have to code hoods to work with each hairstyle apart. Hoods would have to "know" where to cut each hairstyle in order to make it look good (I have zero knowledge about coding so this is just my stupid explanation why we have bald heads under hoods in SWTOR).

Edited by PavSalco

I highly doubt that. My bet is on this specific model being designed in that particular manner and no one else. Of course we can see more NPC characters with their predetermined hair and hoods in the future.

If I'm not mistaken a player character can have up to 40 different hairstyles. These hairstyles are of different length and shape which means Bioware would have to code hoods to work with each hairstyle apart. Hoods would have to "know" where to cut each hairstyle in order to make it look good (I have zero knowledge about coding so this is just my stupid explanation why we have bald heads under hoods in SWTOR).

All they need to do is create a few basic hairstyles made for a hood, and apply these to the hood meshes in the game (edit: what I mean is that each hairstyle would have a "hood style" piece). People might think it's tons of work but it's not, they may have many hoods but they are mostly just different textures, the actual unique meshes is few in numbers. I mean, if you have 5 short hairstyles you only need to create a single hood hairstyle for those, and so on. The large amount of work comes when people demand hair being shown for all kinds of head wear, not just hoods. But just doing for hoods is not months of work.

Edited by FumikoM

Does this mean you guys finally made it so we wont be bald under hoods or are you being jerks and only letting her be special like that?

It's probably a character design, meaning we'll never see Vaylin with her hood down.

Thats the one, regardless, until now all humanoids in game, be they PC or NPC have been bald under their hoods, which is why i asked.

There are several NPCs that have hair under their hats (the captain of the Black Talon being one of the more notable). Just like in the captain's case, any hair you see under an NPC's hood is likely part of the NPC's specific model design.

I would count on characters continuing to be bald under hoods and on either being bald under hats or on hat design continuing to have the cartoon toothache head wrap.

Edited by branmakmuffin

With the amount of clipping issues in this game, it's pretty easy to see they just removed the most glaring and obvious one outright by making people bald.

I hope it's not just for that NPC - the reason that almost none of my jedi/sith wear typical jedi outfits (except for my sorc who does have a hood atm) is because the hoods make all of my characters look like they're bald.

I would consider going with more typical jedi/sith outfits at some point if I could actually see my hair under the hood. On the other hand, I'm rather fond of the looks I've managed to put together (it's kind of like Project Runway: Star Wars Edition!).

Edited by Atreiya

Can't Bioware try a hack to finally give hood toggle. Okay hear me out.

You know the Sheath and unsheath lightsaber animation. You press Z to holster your weapon and Z again to pull it out.

Make hood toggle be an animation just like the light saber sheath.

You pull out a hood, place it over your head. (unholster)

or you hide a hood, take the hood and make it disappear. (holster)

That is what causes problems, asking them to animate it. Id be perfectly happy if said toggle just made hoods vanish.

Asking them to make your character pause and do the dramatic Obi-one hood lower is the fastest way to make them push hood toggle to the very bottom of the "things players ask for" list... :(

That is what causes problems, asking them to animate it. Id be perfectly happy if said toggle just made hoods vanish.

Asking them to make your character pause and do the dramatic Obi-one hood lower is the fastest way to make them push hood toggle to the very bottom of the "things players ask for" list... :(

Well not really, what I was asking for was HOLSTER HOOD, and Unholster Hood.

Holster is already proven to work, now adapt it to hoods.

Why are you worried about the hood and hair, Lana had a robotic hand/forearm but no one said anything about that.

She's a character in the Star Wars universe; it's practically a rite of passage. If that's the start of Chapter Three, I'm guessing the last time we see her in Chapter Two is probably a cutscene duel or something, while we're rushing off somewhere, and she loses, with the blade going down on her arm, or something of that nature.

Back on target, regardless of hood toggle (entirely different issue then hair being visible under hoods)

Will we be able to actually have hair under our hoods finally or are you taking the troll level over 9000 by only letting Vaylin not be bald under hoods...

How long does it take you to count to 9000? Heh heh heh...

Ok, serious: i really doubt that hair with hoods will trickle down to us - having it for one specific character is one thing, but to have it work for any character, with any hair, and any hood with any hair, and no clipping....

Well i don't think they're willing to put that much money into the issue. :jawa_frown:

Maybe i'm wrong; maybe today is opposite day? /hopeless hope

All they need to do is create a few basic hairstyles made for a hood, and apply these to the hood meshes in the game (edit: what I mean is that each hairstyle would have a "hood style" piece). People might think it's tons of work but it's not, they may have many hoods but they are mostly just different textures, the actual unique meshes is few in numbers. I mean, if you have 5 short hairstyles you only need to create a single hood hairstyle for those, and so on. The large amount of work comes when people demand hair being shown for all kinds of head wear, not just hoods. But just doing for hoods is not months of work.
Oh, right, ok... i was thinking all head coverings.

Game developers tend to take the easy way, though. I'll be surprised if they do anything of this sort.

Edited by TikkyLightmaker

Why are you worried about the hood and hair, Lana had a robotic hand/forearm but no one said anything about that.

Because i never liked Lana and would probably only notice if they replaced her meltyface with a robot face? :p

Edited by XiamaraSimi