Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So why no playable Voss again?

Transairion

It seems like the only real reason is due to the Lore, and a lack of customization (since Voss males all look one way, and Voss females another save body type). But is it really that important?

We know pre-SWTOR release they were planned as a full-on class:

Originally, mystics were considered as a player-controllable class but were rejected in favor of the Imperial Agent because there were already four other Force-using classes planned for the game.

We also know from numerous Voss story playthroughs that Voss isn't as isolated as first thought, having had contact with ancient Jedi and Sith and having settlers offworld. Depending on decisions made on the planet, some Voss are even taken for Jedi/Sith training.

Sorry to say, but the lore hasn't really been followed to the letter much anyway, so "bending it" doesn't seem such a big deal anymore. See:

- Rakata supposedly lost their connection to the Force and died out on Rakata Prime. Rakata Prime is riddled with not only living members of the species, but outright Force-slinging ones in almost every pack of mobs

- HK-47 appears and is blown up by the player not once, not twice but THREE TIMES

- Cathar's homeworld was destroyed and they were on the verge of extinction, especially since Imperial players can slaughter hundreds on Taris... yet they're a playable species and all over the place still?

- Non-Force using classes don't get instagibbed by the Sith Emperor, despite being capable of mass-possessions

- LOL Revan

- Legacy unlocks making some really silly playable-species options when classes were originally locked to certain species only

I think we're beyond the point of playable Voss being some immerson-breaking thing, especially since they could always be a settler. Or even just an unknown species pre-Voss storyline. It's a big galaxy.

As far as customization goes, again, is it really a big deal? Choose gender, a slider for Body type 1-4, slap a name on and you're good to go. Obviously it would just be like a bonus species, cost like 200-300 CC instead of 600 due to lack of variety but hey. Lack of customization options didn't stop them with some species already *coughCatharcough*.

So yeah, what's the big with playable Voss already?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they never waste time on same human race but with different texture. This is just boring. As boring is this whole annoin voss staff in general.

+1

Chiss with blue skin and red/orange eyes = Voss

Edited by iankalo

I hope they never waste time on same human race but with different texture. This is just boring. As boring is this whole annoin voss staff in general.

By that logic every race out there is a boring human but with different texture.

Zabrak=human with horns.

Miraluka=human without eyes.

Mirialan=green human.

Twi'lek=human with tentacles for hair.

Togruta=human with horns and tantacles for hair.

Cathar=furry human.

Sith=red human with short tentacles on their face.

Cyborg=human with implants.

Rattataki=white human.

Chiss=blue human.

And there never will be anything different because all the armor in this game fits humanoids - two legs, two hands, walking straight. The only thing they can change is the head so that kind of limits the SW races that can be implemented.

Sorry to say, but the lore hasn't really been followed to the letter much anyway, so "bending it" doesn't seem such a big deal anymore. See:

- Rakata supposedly lost their connection to the Force and died out on Rakata Prime. Rakata Prime is riddled with not only living members of the species, but outright Force-slinging ones in almost every pack of mobs

- HK-47 appears and is blown up by the player not once, not twice but THREE TIMES

- Cathar's homeworld was destroyed and they were on the verge of extinction, especially since Imperial players can slaughter hundreds on Taris... yet they're a playable species and all over the place still?

- Non-Force using classes don't get instagibbed by the Sith Emperor, despite being capable of mass-possessions

- LOL Revan

- Legacy unlocks making some really silly playable-species options when classes were originally locked to certain species only

-Rakata didn't die out, they were thought to have died out, but they survived underground while their feral brethren remained on land. They did lose their connection to the force, however, they used certain devices to make up for it. Except technology couldn't substitute for everything which is why they needed Revan to open the doors.

-HK-47 I don't know the exact lore on this guy, so I am most likely wrong BUT! in both KOTOR and KOTOR II you have to find parts to him, HK47 being blown up: in pieces or whatnot seems to be fairly common and he just keeps coming back. Being destroyed and rebuilt is completely normal regarding him. In fact it has happened many,many times.

- No idea on Cathar, but it's true they were on the verge of extinction however they rebuilt their homeworld and restored it to its full glory.

Edited by fifteenspade

Just having voss in current story line will just be lame, if they do add voss i hope they create a completely different story line and completely new class unique to them. And not only voss but also gormak should be added to the storyline.

Let's say, sal makor has become a huge threat and voss decides to ally with gormak and take on sal makor in a new storyline, players get to play level 50 voss or gormak with their own class : dream walker and commando. It will take place in an instanced nightmare land and during the story line players will get 5 companions to join them, story will take them 50-55 and will provide choice to join either pub or imp and at the end of it will reward a spaceship. And so on...

Edited by BrintoSFJ

It seems like the only real reason is due to the Lore, and a lack of customization (since Voss males all look one way, and Voss females another save body type). But is it really that important?

We know pre-SWTOR release they were planned as a full-on class:

We also know from numerous Voss story playthroughs that Voss isn't as isolated as first thought, having had contact with ancient Jedi and Sith and having settlers offworld. Depending on decisions made on the planet, some Voss are even taken for Jedi/Sith training.

- LOL Revan

I think we're beyond the point of playable Voss being some immerson-breaking thing, especially since they could always be a settler. Or even just an unknown species pre-Voss storyline. It's a big galaxy.

As far as customization goes, again, is it really a big deal? Choose gender, a slider for Body type 1-4, slap a name on and you're good to go. Obviously it would just be like a bonus species, cost like 200-300 CC instead of 600 due to lack of variety but hey. Lack of customization options didn't stop them with some species already *coughCatharcough*.

So yeah, what's the big with playable Voss already?

Voss do not fit the existing stories. If BW decided on making playable Voss, they would do a completely new story that would explain why this particular Voss is a Jedi or whatever (or something to that effect was sad to me by Charles Boyd at GamesCom).

Rakata have lost their connection, yes, mostly. At least to the point where they could not operate their Force powered hyperdrives and other kinds of technology. However, Revan in canon (LS Male) helped one group to get some data that might have helped them restore at least come connection.

HK47 gets blow up almost always, and there is always a good explanation. First, on Foundry, Revan rebuilt him after finding him again after 300 years. Second on Emperor's station, he was rebuild by Anomids for Malgus from the wreckage recovered in Foundry (it is specifically mentioned in the conversations). Third, in ToS, he was again rebuilt by Revan from the wreckage presumably recovered by Revanites.

A great deal of Cathar escaped the destruction of their homeworld.

Not being Force sensitive doesn't mean you cannot have strong will to resist the Emperor, especially when you know he is capable of possession. Also, basically every player class is at least a bit Force sensitive, apparently, just not fully expressed as possibility of being a Jedi/Sith (sort of like Han Solo, where it manifested as improbable luck)

Not sure what LOL Revan is all about. They follow the canon, where he is a LS Male. You free him on Maelstrom from 300+ years in stasis and mindrape by Emperor, he goes a bit wacko from that. You fight him on Foundry, where you nealy kill him, but he escapes by using a Force Power known as Fold Space

Silly customization like what? All races can be present in both factions (like from a family of someone who defected, etc)

+1

Chiss with blue skin and red/orange eyes = Voss

And Chiss with pale skin and markings = Rattataki. Or, Chiss with green skin and black patterns = Mirialan. Majority of species in game are similar already so what does it matter?

Voss have engravings on their face and different patterns and colours. Chiss have a shade of blue and red eyes. The only similarity is that they both have normal "human" face shapes with no specific features outside of the face.(Ex: Togruta montrals, Twileks lekku.)

A lot of different species in the game(in fact most of them) are just humans with different eyes, patterns, coloured skin, and maybe a special feature like the Rattataki's jewelry. Like, Humans, Chiss, Miraluka, Mirialan, and Rattataki are pretty much all the same but just changed a little, as would the Voss be.

So, i don't see your complaint. Chiss are similar to a lot of playable species in game. I'd love to have the Voss as a playable species.

My point is, all species need to be designed the same as humanoids. Two legs, two arms.

Edited by NoahRedden

And Chiss with pale skin and markings = Rattataki. Or, Chiss with green skin and black patterns = Mirialan. Majority of species in game are similar already so what does it matter?

Exactly. And enough is enough. They better keep adding something more different like cats or togruta. So it could be some horney, spiky or those species with meny tenticles on the head. Not this retextured skinheads again.

And I personaly hate those voss dumbs, I would pull their whole planet out of the game >.< The most annoin and boring race ever. Walking through story on Voss was always so mach pain to me.

Edited by Rouakh

They're certainly a polarizing race. However having not gone with the Cathar or Togruta species, the Voss would be an exception for me personally.

As long as they added some specific customisation options such as height if they ever did create them, I could live without specific storylines and the generic would be fine. Heck, they could just justify it by having them as "genetically altered imperials" -

they've already done this in the agent story iirc.

- Speak basic? - check.

- Models / skins / textures / voices already in-game? - check.

- Can be explained swtor lore wise? - check.

- Would I pay CC for this race as an option? - check.

There's a mission in KotOR where you can give a blood sample to the Rakata so they can attempt to do some gene tinkering to rediscover their connection to The Force. Evidentially, it succeeded.

Humans came from Coruscant in the Star Wars Galaxy, but if they blow up Coruscant, there will still be plenty of humans running around.

I don't doubt we won't ever see them. We just got the Togruta, so give it some time, Voss might be the next Cartel race depending on how popular they are with the community. If as some say, its just too boring and other races are more popular, we may not see them for a while. Might as well ask: Why no playable Davoronian, or any other humanoid class we don't have yet.

I don't get it. Most of the lore concern seems to be around "Voss mostly only hang out on their planet", but isn't the bigger problem that the entire Voss story (both planetary arc and class missions) need to be redone?

Surely it would get pretty old having every second Voss you meet whining about how "you are not Voss! Outsiders will never understand our awesomeness!"

I don't get it. Most of the lore concern seems to be around "Voss mostly only hang out on their planet", but isn't the bigger problem that the entire Voss story (both planetary arc and class missions) need to be redone?

Surely it would get pretty old having every second Voss you meet whining about how "you are not Voss! Outsiders will never understand our awesomeness!"

Well no more annoying than playing a pureblood sith on the republic side and being referred to as non-sith pureblood in certain instances. Same goes for cathar and togruta. You are only seen as a non-human or alien.

Well no more annoying than playing a pureblood sith on the republic side and being referred to as non-sith pureblood in certain instances. Same goes for cathar and togruta. You are only seen as a non-human or alien.

Aliens simply being "aliens" rather than Twi'leks, Chiss, etc has been like that since launch and seems to be by design. Togruta and Cathar are nothing special there.

Being referred to as non-Sith pureblood counts, but then those are one-off lines whereas the PC being non-Voss is a repeated plot point throughout the planet.

By that logic every race out there is a boring human but with different texture.

Zabrak=human with horns.

Miraluka=human without eyes.

Mirialan=green human.

Twi'lek=human with tentacles for hair.

Togruta=human with horns and tantacles for hair.

Cathar=furry human.

Sith=red human with short tentacles on their face.

Cyborg=human with implants.

Rattataki=white human.

Chiss=blue human.

And there never will be anything different because all the armor in this game fits humanoids - two legs, two hands, walking straight. The only thing they can change is the head so that kind of limits the SW races that can be implemented.

Thats always been the case and a common complaint.

I understand their view, on the whole story deal, so it is what it is

Of course for me... SULLUSTANs please lol. That and a sith bith. :cool:

Aliens simply being "aliens" rather than Twi'leks, Chiss, etc has been like that since launch and seems to be by design. Togruta and Cathar are nothing special there.

Being referred to as non-Sith pureblood counts, but then those are one-off lines whereas the PC being non-Voss is a repeated plot point throughout the planet.

Nah, If you play a chiss imperial you are recognized as a chiss by other chiss. Not so sure about twileks in republic side, or how they are perceived by the other faction. Pure blood sith are recognized imperial side. The original race to faction set seems to work fine, its when through legacy you gain the option for faction specific races playable on the other faction and the later released races that you get the problem. I do see your point about voss being especially bad, but my point being they have already let the cat out of the bag in that regard.

Nah, If you play a chiss imperial you are recognized as a chiss by other chiss. Not so sure about twileks in republic side, or how they are perceived by the other faction. Pure blood sith are recognized imperial side. The original race to faction set seems to work fine, its when through legacy you gain the option for faction specific races playable on the other faction and the later released races that you get the problem. I do see your point about voss being especially bad, but my point being they have already let the cat out of the bag in that regard.

You're referring to the occasional one-off lines that are are the rare exception. The vast majority of the time non-human/non-purebloods are just aliens, even when being a specific race could be a plot point (Twi'lek on Tython, for example). Togruta and Cathar are nothing special in this regard.

Republic Purebloods get pretty silly too, though. I get your point there. In my mind, Voss would just be taking it too far as it'd mess up an entire planet.

I don't see how it possibly be worked into the story though. The whole quest line on Voss is that you are an outsider.

Beyond that, they are awful, awful people with a horrible culture. I'd rather play a Gormak.

Talked about this to Charles Boyd at GamesCom, and he said that it is one of the reasons, as they would need to make a whole new story that would follow why did that particular Voss decide to leave their world...

So basically, playable Voss would mean a "Voss class", not just slapping a recolored human with phobia inducing eyes into existing stories...

You're referring to the occasional one-off lines that are are the rare exception. The vast majority of the time non-human/non-purebloods are just aliens, even when being a specific race could be a plot point (Twi'lek on Tython, for example). Togruta and Cathar are nothing special in this regard.

Republic Purebloods get pretty silly too, though. I get your point there. In my mind, Voss would just be taking it too far as it'd mess up an entire planet.

Togruta and Cathar are special in that regard because they have absolutely no variation from the standard alien greeting. Voss would be no different, in the broad scheme of things. There will be instances, Voss obviously, where its going to get silly. That in and of itself is no reason not to have voss as a playable race as they have already disregarded special dialogue outside the vanilla release.

Edit: Yeah I get that its a point too far for you. For me its just, meh, they already missed the opportunity to really make new races make much sense anyway.

Edited by Bobs_YourUncle

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.