ability to buy expansion via cartel coins

please let player upgrade their account through cartel coin..let just say shadow of revan expansion is available on cartel market for 5000cc..so a person who is subscribing for like 6 months can buy it with his cartel coin..similar to what ESO does..it is also motivate people to subscribe long term because with monthly cc then they will be able to buy expansion like shadow of revan. Edited by bahramnima

please let player upgrade their account through cartel coin..let just say shadow of revan expansion is available on cartel market for 5000cc..so a person who is subscribing for like 6 months can buy it with his cartel coin..similar to what ESO does..it is also motivate people to subscribe long term because with monthly cc then they will be able to buy expansion like shadow of revan.

I suppose I agree with the basic idea... Though 5000 cartel coins is about $40. I don't expect the new expansion to be that much.

It is a good idea I doubt it will happen that they allow content be purchasable with cartel coins.

As above poster says this expansion is free for subscribers

i am stuck at 55 without shadow of revan and have over 6k coin..i have personal problem i can not buy anything for now..but since hutt expansion and FE is free to subscribers..then atleast make shadow of revan purchase able via coin..and let all people progress even people with odd issues like me.

Isn't SoR going to free in October?

From the Knights of the Fallen Empire FAQ:

All subscribers will receive access to Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadow of Revan starting on October 27, 2015.

You will get it for free if you are a subscriber then

Edited by Icestar

It would be dumb to let people use CC to obtain game time or paid expansions (though KotFE is 'free' with a sub) given CC can be gained FOR FREE over time with a sub, using a security key, playing the game itself, or just getting people to click links on the forums and starter planets.

What I think they should do for paid expansions and game time is to create tokens / use items which can be purchased by one player with real currency through the website and / or in-game store which could in turn be sold to other players in-game for credits.

Edited by DawnAskham

Sorry - but they are never going to let people buy game time or paid expansions (though KotFE is 'free' with a sub) using cartel coins when cartel coins can be gained FOR FREE over time with a sub, using a security key, playing the game itself, or just getting people to click links on the forums and starter planets.

Exactly. You could saved up 6000cc but it doesn't mean that you paid for them or that you kept subscription for months. Cartel Coins are gained for free so making expansions for CC doesn't make sense. Anyway, they won't do anything with how Shadow of Revan is purchasable since it's becoming free in a few months.

It would be dumb to let people use CC to obtain game time or paid expansions (though KotFE is 'free' with a sub) given CC can be gained FOR FREE over time with a sub, using a security key, playing the game itself, or just getting people to click links on the forums and starter planets.

CC from the subscription are not free, they cost money. But that is not the important point. BW does want extra money for the expansion, not CC they are giving out to players.

1) As long as coins are given away for free as part of the subscription, they will never let you buy "cash items" for Cartel Coins.

2) The upcoming expansion will be free for subscribers as well as the existing expansions rendering the entire issue moot.

• 1 year later...
I know this may seem odd but I agree with the original poster. Subs do get the expansion for free but what if they only had access to the newest content via subscription and need to stop subscribing for a time? Because I'd be stuck with rise of the hutt cartel as the cap to the content available to me presumably. If not being able to purchase the rest of the expansions through cartel coins at the very least it'd be helpful to see the expansions available through the online store page at least. Just a suggestion but i think for those in my own or similar situations it'd be greatly appreciated.

I know this may seem odd but I agree with the original poster. Subs do get the expansion for free but what if they only had access to the newest content via subscription and need to stop subscribing for a time? Because I'd be stuck with rise of the hutt cartel as the cap to the content available to me presumably. If not being able to purchase the rest of the expansions through cartel coins at the very least it'd be helpful to see the expansions available through the online store page at least. Just a suggestion but i think for those in my own or similar situations it'd be greatly appreciated.

Once you subscribe for a month, you get access to all expansions that are live at that point. Even if you unsubscribe the next month you get to keep access to all expansions. You will become a preferred player (and will never go back to being a F2P player) and will have associated restrictions; access to the expansions themselves will be available without restrictions.

So you'd prefer to pay $40 worth of cc for an expansion others paid $15 for?

Are you maybe confused by the fact that only RotHC shows in your My Account page? Because that's been an issue since SoR was first available. None of the expansions after RotHC shows there, but if you are a subscriber, and you must be to post here, you do have all the expansions, not just RotHC.

If you have to stop subscribing for a while, then stop. You'll keep all the expansions, up to and including KotET. And when (if?) BW releases another expansion, you can spend the $15 to sub for a month, to get that one too, and then cancel and go back to preferred again, while still keeping whatever that new expanion is.

Basicly f2p and preferred are so restrictive (cred limit, no cxp I am looking at you) that one either subs in resignation to enjoy everything or one just leaves. Other games allow full access to f2players while allowing them slow tedious grinding activities where they may earn the necessary creds isk to buy plex/monthly pass. Why is this good ? Because many will be hooked by this opportunity spending not money but time in the game while still contributing to sales indirectly. The plex/ monthly pass still has to be bought by a sub. It just makes it possible for those who can afford it to have a better playing comfort and for those who dont, the opportunity to work for it.

Basicly f2p and preferred are so restrictive (cred limit, no cxp I am looking at you) that one either subs in resignation to enjoy everything or one just leaves. Other games allow full access to f2players while allowing them slow tedious grinding activities where they may earn the necessary creds isk to buy plex/monthly pass. Why is this good ? Because many will be hooked by this opportunity spending not money but time in the game while still contributing to sales indirectly. The plex/ monthly pass still has to be bought by a sub. It just makes it possible for those who can afford it to have a better playing comfort and for those who dont, the opportunity to work for it.

This game is not other games. While selling a sub token would be pretty cool, the whole "f2p is restrictive" is not true at all. Relative to less successful games (this one may be catching up), yes. This is their system, though, and there is nothing wrong with it other than how it is perceived. For instance: WoW's F2P model is this: Play to Level 20. That could be considered pretty restrictive. Free is free and this one is pretty generous. The best part of the game: The class stories, are totally free. F2P can even experience many other aspects of the game, but the true endgame cost money and relative to other entertainment cost or even buying coffee, it is cheap. F2P is not restrictive at all, people are just trying to access the P2P version and are bumping into walls that separate the two. F2P and P2P are basically 2 different games, where all the players exist in the same universe.

Back to the tokens though, selling monthly tokens would be pretty awesome, but there are issues. 1.) It would cannibalize their cartel market sales, which is the current way of turning real money into credits. Basically, they would not make more money. Instead they will just sell less packs. 2.) Only subscribers could afford them, since they would be way more expensive than the low f2p/pref credit cap. Of course, they could create a separate system to pay for it through escrow without having to purchase an escrow unlock.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do have an idea though, that I think would be more than fair. They should include a set amount of time, for instance 8 hours of subscription time, for every cartel pack that is opened. This time would not auto apply, but would bank until hitting markers like 7 days, 14 days, 30 days. Once one of these values is hit, it can be turned in for instant game time. For preferred with full access it upgrades the account to subscribed. For a free to play player or preferred that is missing recent expansions, they would have to initially consume 2 (f2p, no expansions) or 1(pref missing expansions) 30 day tokens to get preferred and/or expansions unlocked. This would at least be profitable, while also giving a bit more value to the cartel packs. Since it would take about 100 packs to get a month of subscription time, it would not cannibalize subscription sales. Instead it would encourage pack sales. They would have to increase the f2p and pref credit cap to at least 2M/4M. Increasing the cap would reinvigorate the gtn anyway, so its something they should do regardless.

Edited by IstariZen

Back to the tokens though, selling monthly tokens would be pretty awesome, but there are issues. .......

{I had a great idea for a token. Have a "mega" token that gives you full access to everything - the new Command stuff, OPs, PvP, all expansions, whatever. It could also help people out by giving them unlimited access their escrow account, but only for that month. They could even throw in a super-bonus 500cc, just to sweeten the deal. All in, I think this token would really enhance the game, and could easily be sold for around £15.

What do you think?}

Edited by CrazyCT

I had a great idea for a token. Have a "mega" token that gives you full access to everything - the new Command stuff, OPs, PvP, all expansions, whatever. It could also help people out by giving them unlimited access their escrow account, but only for that month. They could even throw in a super-bonus 500cc, just to sweeten the deal. All in, I think this token would really enhance the game, and could easily be sold for around £15.

What do you think?

I think that since people can earn Cartel Coins without paying anything into the game, this is a bad idea.

I have recently run through some class stories on new toons.

I did not need to sub at all. Nothing my characters used required a sub.

Sure, I may have used "hide head slot" or something like that, but I mean things that affect gameplay in a mechanical sense.

I also have a security key, which means that every month I am getting 100CC for basically nothing.

Charge 5000 CC for something that makes a sub pointless? AllIi have to do is wait 50 months and I get it "for free".

Where is the money for Bioware here?

I think that this game is very generous in terms of what F2Pers can get, whether true "F2P" or preferred.

They don't need to give away even more, and that is what this would be; A giveaway.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems my concerns were adequately addressed. Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that I'd have to be a subscriber to get access to the expansions I didn't buy over the counter. Now that this has been sorted I understand bioware's reasoning and position on the matter.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.