Curiosity/concern: possible exploit in October?

Lyshar

So I have a level 60 agent, finished Rishi, Yavin V and even Ziost.

I just leveled mostly though other content mostly and my class story is still in chapter 1. This means I have 3 companions. The starting companion, the ship droid and my Treek.

With uncertainty on how things will work it might be good to know what this may mean for the next expansion. Did developers take this option into consideration?

Will class story for starting planets be abandoned when picking up the new chapter?

Will it be required to finish the story first unless you're making the new level 60?

Does this potentially mean if I finish my class story post expansion content I may have up to 4 more companions than BW intends me to have?

Will it be possible to get a companion when you already got it from the expansion? It would already be awkward to meet a companion the first time while having him at your side.

I just don't feel like going on to finish the story on that character at this time, perhaps one day in the future I will. I don't want to get in trouble because of it.

If nothing else this can be something to test.

What will probably happen is that finishing previous chapters, that is all the class quests, will be a prerequisite for starting the expansion chapters.

This.

Also, you're level 60, at that point the longest part of the class story, if you'd go to do it, would be the cut scenes. You'd just be a wrecking ball in everything else.

This is one of those questions that needs to be answered sooner rather than later if the answer is completing base story (or any content - such as Makeb, Rishi / Yavin, Ziost) is required to start the expansion.

My best guess (based on dev comments that past decisions determine new story options / boost to 60 will only be an option for brand new characters / boosted characters will not be able to go back and do 1-50 story) is that completing the base story will be required.

However, nothing has been posted stating clearly that completing base story / other content is a requirement for starting the expansion.

Also similar questions exists with achievements tied to base companions - will the achievements (e.g. kill X mobs with companion, max affections for companion) still be left in the game, and if so, will characters who start the expansion lose the ability to complete those achievements.

Lastly, similar question with bonuses unlocked tied to base companions - will those bonuses remain (e.g. +crit, +acc, presence), and if so, will characters who start the expansion lose the ability to complete those bonuses (or have alternatives to complete with new companions).

Edited by DawnAskham

My guess is that what will happen is similar to what a new Mass Effect player sees if they come in without a previous history from older Mass Effect games.

There will be short series of questions that you will answer during the intro that setup your class quest background.

If they require Forged Alliances to be complete before you can start KotFE, then you will have to do your class story.

If they only require level 60, then you're set.

Eh? AFAIK you can start Forged Alliances without having completed Class chapter 1-3.

Eh? AFAIK you can start Forged Alliances without having completed Class chapter 1-3.

You can start Rishi planet quests without your class story, you just have to meet a level requirement.

You cannot start the actual Forged Alliances questline until you have completed chapter 3 of your class story.

It's a little bizarre, but all you miss are some rewards and a bunch of cutscenes. Also, the FA NPCs don't have any backstory with you and you don't get the letters and whatnot.

You can start Rishi planet quests without your class story, you just have to meet a level requirement.

You cannot start the actual Forged Alliances questline until you have completed chapter 3 of your class story.

It's a little bizarre, but all you miss are some rewards and a bunch of cutscenes. Also, the FA NPCs don't have any backstory with you and you don't get the letters and whatnot.

Except I did exactly that on my Sentinel like 2 weeks ago: http://i.imgur.com/uVbjgUt.jpg

What will probably happen is that finishing previous chapters, that is all the class quests, will be a prerequisite for starting the expansion chapters.

Almost certainly. You already can't access the class quest from SOR if you haven't gotten through the first three chapters, and you are blocked from Ziost if you haven't completed SOR. I would be shocked if you aren't blocked from KotFE unless you have completed all of the main story lines up to that point.

Wrong, there's only 1 mission you can't do on Rishi, the optional one you get before the first FP, everything else is possible. Still in chapter 1 and I have done the whole thing except that 1 mission.

Dude - what do you have against your personal story?

Nothing against the story, and as it's agent it's in many's opinion the best, and I can't argue that. But I have done the agent story plenty times that with this example character I left the story for what it was.

I still intend to finish the story at some point, when in the mood. Though I may also make a new agent soon unless I wait for October and start at 60 with it. So it might be longer to finish the story on that example char I have.

Point is different people have different reasons for doing different things. There are people that don't finish chapter 3, not gonna judge them. Choices never mattered as much as it was advertised, in fact they do most for agent yet changes nothing for the missions you get to do.

But I am curious if the devs even thought about the option, if not they may leave serious bugs. that may be next to irreparable as it can affect the stored data for so many characters. So if they don't bother to read this thread I may have 4 more companions than everyone else or get to the point where I crash the server because I would get 2 identical companions, or my character becomes corrupted.

Maybe they already took precautions. It could be when you take the mission there's a warning message it'll abandon the chapter 1-3 story, that would be best in my optioning. Unless they made it so there's nothing to worry about and you can have them both active without issues, as is now with chapter 1-3 (core), 4 (Makeb) & 5 (Revan), that would really be the best.

We just don't know, and we don't know if they know.

They are bringing the ability to create a Lvl 60 character from scratch.

This means obviously:

If you haven't completed certain story requirements (to be announced), you can't access KotFE.

BUT

You have the option to just make a lvl 60 if you want to jump into that story.

:csw_jabba:

If they are going to offer a level 60 starter toon, then you can bet there is no class quest completion requirement.

They have said that these toons will not be able to be able to do the old class content, as they will already be flagged as having done it. They said they will explain how those pre-mades get their class history assigned in a future dev blog, but they also indicated that it won't just be some default story.

Maybe there will be a "flashback" intro quest that will allow you to reflect on your past and make some key choices that way, but this is just me guessing.

Don't see the issue at all.

If you ever go back I guess it would just say that X companion is unavailable. This already happens, just as sometimes says you must have X companion with you.

Ok I am guessing but it seems logical. Personally not worried about this one but its still bioware, so somewhere along the line there probably will be some sort of exploit and as such I don't intend to play it until after the new year. As long as bioware ban players for what is in fact there error I don't see the point in playing anything new from them on release.

Still got plenty of characters to keep me going until then so no big deal, at least when I do get round to playing most if not all of the first 9 chapters should all be OK and any exploit should there be one, will be sorted.

If you create a shiny new level 60 character for Knights of the Fallen Empire, you won't be able to take that character back to the regular Old Republic game and play the class story. "The assumption is that you've already done it," BioWare told IGN. "You are a veteran. The reason is with all the romances and decisions you have to make, it would be too much to set all those variables for you."

From IGN's article on the game.

From IGN's article on the game.

Yes I was going to quote that also reading this thread.

I imagine if you choose to start the KotFE content with ANY level 60 or what not then you will be locked out of going back and doing the original content.

If this is the case for existing 60's ( as opposed to newly created as the article mentions ) then as long as they make this crystal clear and a choice before starting KotFE I see no issue with. Auto locking all 60's out of going back to do class content on the other hand would be a rather bigi ssue ( and their own fault for making stupid ways of leveling up like KDY ).

Yes I was going to quote that also reading this thread.

I imagine if you choose to start the KotFE content with ANY level 60 or what not then you will be locked out of going back and doing the original content.

If this is the case for existing 60's ( as opposed to newly created as the article mentions ) then as long as they make this crystal clear and a choice before starting KotFE I see no issue with. Auto locking all 60's out of going back to do class content on the other hand would be a rather bigi ssue ( and their own fault for making stupid ways of leveling up like KDY ).

My guess is that starting the expansion will require completing the base class story, both because they have said boosted 60s will be locked out of the original class story content as well as have said only fresh characters can be boosted.

See it's things like this that was one reason the Imperial Intros for Sor were ****ed up. They had to make three versions. You romanced someone. You didn't romance someone. And you by passed the entire story, aside from first companion and just jumped straight to end game level.

And people wonder why there are bugs.

Just either do the content from 1-3 or don't. But don't get to end game around class story. Don't like it, skip and press 1 the entire time or whatever.

Sorry, it's my opinion, but it irks me.