The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need advice on PT AP.

GinnoTaki

Hi all, i didn't play SWTOR for more than 3 years and now i have some questions about my PTAP DD. Will be glad to recieve any help from experienced players.

The main focus of my char - PVP. Here are the questions:

1) How "Close and Personal" is working exactly? Is it working all time in combat? Or is it triggering under some specific conditions?

2) What Utilities to choose for my PTAP to be as much as possible effective in PVP? I'm pretty confused in this part... =/

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Edited by GinnoTaki

Hi all, i didn't play SWTOR for more than 3 years and now i have some questions about my PTAP DD. Will be glad to recieve any help from experienced players.

The main focus of my char - PVP. Here are the questions:

1) How "Close and Personal" is working exactly? Is it working all time in combat? Or is it triggering under some specific conditions?

2) What Utilities to choose for my PTAP to be as much as possible effective in PVP? I'm pretty confused in this part... =/

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

even without utility all u need is to press 3 buttons to global most of the classes in the game because powertechs are broken. But back in time i used

1) flame burst and magnetic range increased, slow on magnetic blast, and cc break reduction of cd.

2) hydraulic cd reduced and pyro shiled

3) lol override, and damage increased when fuel explosive is on

Thank you for your advice, xX-Archangel-Xx.

But i still don't understand how "Close and Personal" is working, if it's working at all for PT AP.

Close and Personal activates when you get AoEd and heals you for 2.5% of your max health and vents 2 heat, and can only happen every 3 seconds.

What? I don't even....:confused:

First of all you're not reading your utilities correctly. Fuel Additives only increases the damage dealt during Explosive Fuel while ION cylinder is active. I.e it increases damage for tanks only. For PTs in DPS stance it increases DR by a measly 5%.

Fuel Additives is a terrible utility for any PT spec, and should never be taken. The mandatory Heroic utility is Overdrive. Enhanced Paralytics and Automated Suit are your viable choices for your second Heroic utility point.

Pyro Shield is better but it's definitely a "meh" utility. While it is strong in dueling, in group PvP it's damage is relatively insignificant. In a group situation Sonic Rebounder is actually more damage, albeit you the PT don't get credit for the damage on the scoreboard. Sometime I prefer to only take Torque Boosters in the Masterful tier and instead take a fourth skillful utility.

Edited by Zoom_VI

First of all you're not reading your utilities correctly. Fuel Additives only increases the damage dealt during Explosive Fuel while ION cylinder is active. I.e it increases damage for tanks only. For PTs in DPS stance it increases DR by a measly 5%.

Fuel Additives is a terrible utility for any PT spec, and should never be taken. The mandatory Heroic utility is Overdrive. Enhanced Paralytics and Automated Suit are your viable choices for your second Heroic utility point.

Pyro Shield is better but it's definitely a "meh" utility. While it is strong in dueling, in group PvP it's damage is relatively insignificant. In a group situation Sonic Rebounder is actually more damage, albeit you the PT don't get credit for the damage on the scoreboard. Sometime I prefer to only take Torque Boosters in the Masterful tier and instead take a fourth skillful utility.

Do people not take Shield Cannon anymore since they increased the time to 1.5 seconds? I generally enjoy taking it when no healers are running in queue.

I think you are wrong because it boosts ur damage while in dps form

Edited by xX-Archangel-Xx

When you will play non ranked warzones and without a group, i think most important is your own mobility.

Because of all the knockbacks stuns and roots in the game, you will die, before your resolve bar is full. Melee´s have the most focus in random warzones because a lot of players get panic when a melee show up next to them.

So i use most of the time the following skills:

- Gyroscopic alignment Jets: If you are stunned, immobilized, knocked down or incapacitated, you instantly Vent 10 heat

- Pneumatic Boots: Move speed is increased by 15%

- Iron Will: The cooldown of Determination is reduced by 30 seconds, and The Cooldown of Hydraulic Overrides is reduced by 5 seconds

- Torque Boosters: Hydraulic Overrides lasts 10 seconds instead of 6

- Prototype Electro Surge: Electro Dart has a 10 second shorter cooldown

- Accelerated Reel: Grapple’s cooldown is reduced by 15 seconds

- Overdrive: Move speed is increased by a further 45% while Hydraulic Overrides is active (total 75% bonus)

I think you are wrong because it boosts ur damage while in dps form

I would love to see your evidence for this.

Name me another 3 button spec which is lethal as AP powertechs. Hatred doesn't count

3 button? If you're playing with three buttons then you are what are know as "free kills"

AP is rotationally more complex than:

Gunnery

Sharpshooter

Balance

Focus

3 button? If you're playing with three buttons then you are what are know as "free kills"

AP is rotationally more complex than:

Gunnery

Sharpshooter

Balance

Focus

I agree that standing still shooting a dummy AP is more complex than those specs, but because AP's rotation is almost entirely mobile, without cast times, channels, and 10+ meters range (only Rocket Punch and initial application of Retractable even require melee range), its by far the easiest rotation to produce in a fast moving PvP environment.

There's no doubt in my mind for PvP, AP has the lowest skill floor of all specs in the game, I've seen it personally myself numerous times (players who are relatively awful on all other classes actually do serviceable on an AP PT), and its been that way pretty much since the launch of the game, because PT's have always had the best combination of semi ranged attacks and lack of cast times, which is perfect in a game environment where being able to attack on the move is an enormous advantage.

Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, there always has to be an easiest spec to play for PvP. I just think its clearly PT (AP PT namely). Obviously good ones will blow bad ones out of the water but that's true with all classes. The other low skill floor class/spec that you see a lot is tank Guardian/Jugg, simply because of how survivable they are.

Firstly saying it has a low skill floor means that new players do really bad on it, hence the floor (i.e rock bottom) is low.

Secondly, If we are talking in overarching terms rather than pure rotation then I contend that all Juggernaut specs have a lower floor, because they have little to no need for positional awareness and can overextend to hell and back without consequence.

Also if the skill floor on AP is so high please explain the Vanguards in this one.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Also if the skill floor on AP is so high please explain the Vanguards in this one.

One 8v8 with damage being the determining factor of skill is maybe not the best measure of skill floor.

Honestly, AP's rotation is pretty easy. It doesn't get much more complex than timing your Thermal Detonator and Energy Burst with the 6-set bonus. The fact the spec has a lot of front-loaded and easily swappable damage is one of the main reasons it's so powerful for ranked right now.

The real difficulty is surviving as AP. Not only are you a prime choice target because you simply do too much damage to let live, but our defensives are on the weaker scale of things (not as bad as Mercenaries, but not significantly better, either). Generally, my 4v4s as AP come down to "can I destroy their team before they destroy me?"

Edited by TheJollyRogers

• 3 weeks later...
I agree that standing still shooting a dummy AP is more complex than those specs, but because AP's rotation is almost entirely mobile, without cast times, channels, and 10+ meters range (only Rocket Punch and initial application of Retractable even require melee range), its by far the easiest rotation to produce in a fast moving PvP environment.

There's no doubt in my mind for PvP, AP has the lowest skill floor of all specs in the game, I've seen it personally myself numerous times (players who are relatively awful on all other classes actually do serviceable on an AP PT), and its been that way pretty much since the launch of the game, because PT's have always had the best combination of semi ranged attacks and lack of cast times, which is perfect in a game environment where being able to attack on the move is an enormous advantage.

Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, there always has to be an easiest spec to play for PvP. I just think its clearly PT (AP PT namely). Obviously good ones will blow bad ones out of the water but that's true with all classes. The other low skill floor class/spec that you see a lot is tank Guardian/Jugg, simply because of how survivable they are.

AP Attacks are harder, surviving is impossible.

Jugg attacks are a little more difficult. You can fall asleep and hit three buttons and you rarely die.

Complexity is all relative, and you can't deliver those LOL DEEPS if you're dead.

even without utility all u need is to press 3 buttons to global most of the classes in the game because powertechs are broken. But back in time i used

1) flame burst and magnetic range increased, slow on magnetic blast, and cc break reduction of cd.

PT broken? lol. They're simple glass cannons.

Damage increased with explosive fuel is in Ion gas cylinder, otherwise every PT DPS in PvE would take it. All other cylinders have damage reduction for that utility. Liquid Cooling, Overload CC break, and Shoulder Cannon heals would be much better choices in the tier.

I have a feeling you barely play the class.