Character Transfers – Get Together With Your Friends

EricMusco

As far as I know, a character is nothing more then a small amount of data containing legacy unlocks and whatnot.

There is no reason why it shouldn't be possible to transfer between US and EU servers.

Any amount of data kan be moved clear across the entire world - With Ease!

I lived in US. Now I live in Europe. I hate trying to play US times (middle of the night for me now) and I certainly don't want to level 4 characters to 60 and rebuild a legacy level 44 account.

Would really be nice if cross-ocean server transfers were finally allowed in this otherwise relatively decent game...

There are apparently some legal reasons.

It is not technical problem, it is a business decision (which could imply legal issue, as there is no reason businesses would care where their customers play)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more server mergers.

If you feel that your current server doesn't have adequate population and want to change servers go ahead, but there is no reason that Guilds and Players on a potential destination server should need to endure all the problems and naming conflicts all over again for a few people unhappy with their server that have a perfectly viable solution. That said, I agree they need to have a guild transfer function as Guild Banks and Guild Ships are very expensive.

Endure all the problems of having more people to play with? I think the people who are wanting POT5 merged off totally understand their character names, etc, might not be there waiting for them and WE DON'T CARE. It is only a positive influx of players already on more populated servers who get to keep doing what they're doing with more people to play with. We're willing to sacrifice a lot to not be on a dead server. But our communities we've built and guild resources we've gotten together just seem to be an unnecessary loss, as leaving a even more dead than before server floating around can only lead to confusion and missed opportunities for new and/or returning players

I'm telling you guys. Once you get the technology to do it just make one server called "The Galaxy". Make it a huge mega server and have the ability to choose what character you want "pvp, pve or rp". I think that would be the best thing :)

But I'm also fine with them keeping 1 pvp, 1pve, 1rp

Harbinger for pve

Ebon Hawk for rp

Bastion for pvp

I think would be great :)

And largely increase the amount of people on the servers. That would also be a good move. Regardless of what happens I'm here to support it!

Edited by Sarfux

Truly, this is an amazing community

They all but hand us free server transfers because of an influx of newly returning older players enticed back by the new expansion, and it devolves into a complaint thread about servers suffering because people leave some servers and join others.

First off, stop with your judgemental statements, no one cares and your not in any position to pass judgement on anyone. Second, even I must agree that you possess some amount of intelligence, otherwise how could you so skillfully dodge the obvious? This cheap transfer thing is BW's PR job to contain negative hype about this shrinking/constricting game. Sure there may be some returning players but if populations were stable, they wouldn't be implementing this. If returning subs were overtaking the people leaving numbers wise, they wouldn't be implementing this. If pops on the PVP servers haven't dropped to the "uncomfortable" level, they wouldn't be implementing this.

The players on the PVP servers have been yelling about pops for quite a while now and BW hasn't even given one acknowledgement of any kind regarding the issue and out of frustration, those players pony up their cash to transfer to fix the gaming problem and now this? They have every right to be frustrated. BW should have jumped on this months ago.

And don't come back with this "We're getting a new x-pack, the game isn't shrinking crap" because it most assuredly is and this new x-pack is coming at the expense of EVERY OTHER FACET OF THIS GAME NOT GETTING ANY NEW CONTENT.

PVP-Been what, a year since the last WZ map? No mention of anything else coming down the pipeline either...so it's going to end up being what 2 years for some content here, maybe more?

GSF- LOL

Raiding- Only thing to happen BEFORE q2 of 2016 is the old ops getting upgraded to 65... so just throw a couple 00's on the end of old boss hitpoints and just re-hash everything. Swell. See the IGN interview with Hickman and McClean for confirmation on timing.

Truly, this is an amazing community

They all but hand us free server transfers because of an influx of newly returning older players enticed back by the new expansion, and it devolves into a complaint thread about servers suffering because people leave some servers and join others.

Or those who complain that the offer is not good enough for some reason.

It'd be extremely helpful to know which way BW's leaning for dead and soon-to-be-dead servers. Merges? Something else? Or are they going to wait and see how things shake out?

Obviously they could change their minds later, but an indication and level of confidence would be useful now.

As I said in a similar thread, EU characters can be transferred to the PTS which is in the USA.

Your move atheists !

xD

You're wrong. You can not transfer a character to the PTS. You can make a copy, but that character is brand new just like if you went to a US server and made a brand new character. It just ups your level and items and name to match a template as a server feature, but it's a brand new character and the files of information for that character are not the same files the original character uses that have legal issues from being transferred from a server they were created on to another.

You're wrong. You can not transfer a character to the PTS. You can make a copy, but that character is brand new just like if you went to a US server and made a brand new character. It just ups your level and items and name to match a template as a server feature, but it's a brand new character and the files of information for that character are not the same files the original character uses that have legal issues from being transferred from a server they were created on to another.

You are wrong too. There are no files, these are database entries.

You are wrong too. There are no files, these are database entries.

Which counts as data, which the EU is very strict about where it goes, and doesn't allow data to be moved from an EU country to a country outside the EU unless they deem it to have as good or greater data protection and privacy laws. Unfortunately, the US is on the black list and the NA servers are hosted in the US. The EU servers are hosted in Ireland, which is an EU member.

See the issue?

A server merge would be a better idea.

Of course, and everybody knows that except bioware. They are trying to pass to us the the obligation of fix this issue. And "earn" some CC in the process.

It's pretty simple, merge the PVP servers, and merge the PVE servers.

But there's been a while ago they said "something even better" so, i guess its another lie, or in their dumb mind transfer discount is better than merge and cross server queue.

DEAR EA/BIOWARE/SWTOR Development,

Does marketing and development work at the same company or should we assume they don't talk and actually work at seperate compaines? Guildships and Banks have got to move too with Guildmaster.

Development, let please provide a way to move a very expensive GuildShip and decorations and Guildbank tabs. Or lets find a way to refund the credits to the Guildmaster so they can purchase thier missing Guildship back!

:eek:

Does marketing and development work at the same company or should we assume they don't talk and actually work at seperate compaines? Guildships and Banks have got to move too with Guildmaster.

Development, let please provide a way to move a very expensive GuildShip and decorations and Guildbank tabs. Or lets find a way to refund the credits to the Guildmaster so they can purchase thier missing Guildship back!

:eek:

^ A big *** rancor in the room. If the answer is "so solly" or "we're still trying to figure it out" do everyone a favor pls BW and say so. Being an MMORPG guilds and the collective/community aspects are kind of significant. /obvious.

Edited by Joesixxpack

^ A big *** rancor in the room. If the answer is "so solly" or "we're still trying to figure it out" do everyone a favor pls BW and say so. Being an MMORPG guilds and the collective/community aspects are kind of significant. /obvious.

Buy new ones.

Thus we add one more post to the "No matter what it is, someone will complain about it" category. If the limitations mean the service does not work for you, no matter how cheap it is, then don't do it.

Buy new ones.

Easy for you to say, but I doubt you are a GL looking at this problem. I know for my guild, with the decos we have as well as the guild bank AND the guild ship and stronghold, it would take years to replace it all. Many of those decos would be hard to come by because they are no longer freely available, meaning they would cost far more to replace than what it cost to obtain them in the first place.

It's easy to move your personal characters around, it's quite a different story when you are dealing with a whole community and community assets.

Easy for you to say, but I doubt you are a GL looking at this problem. I know for my guild, with the decos we have as well as the guild bank AND the guild ship and stronghold, it would take years to replace it all. Many of those decos would be hard to come by because they are no longer freely available, meaning they would cost far more to replace than what it cost to obtain them in the first place.

It's easy to move your personal characters around, it's quite a different story when you are dealing with a whole community and community assets.

Well then, you should've had the clairvoyance to pick a populated service years in advance!