EA E3 press release is talking about an expansion called Knights of the Fallen Empire

znihilist

oh man.. if the game leaped 4000 years into the future, i hope that i have some warning. Gotta get all my creds into a long term CD and get all the interest back. :cool:

Agreed. I too will load up on long term CDs & Imperial/Republic Blue Chip Dividend stocks on the long voyage to The New Republic/Empire era, all companions (even Quinn) can come along.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"largest story-driven expansion to date" aka a paid expansion that will be more expensive than Shadow of Revan. I don't have problems paying for it this early after SoR but I know other players do.

Of course, it's an expansion and I would expect to pay for it. However, SoR was so absolutely terrible - literally the worst $20 I've ever spent on a game in my life. The new expansion better be huge and more significant. Story was the emphasis in SoR and that story was garbage. Hopefully, Bee-Dubya is a lot more inspired in their storytelling and writing in the new xpac.

Fair enough, but you are dreaming if you think they will support 2 games.

Plus, one of the hooks to get us to stay is our investment in the game. Asking us to start over at level 1 with nothing is inviting us to look into other games.

You are thinking with your heart here and not your head.. no offense

Sorry, but I have to agree with the other poster... I really don't see them suddenly throwing the game timeline around. Star Wars is, generally speaking, based on a linear series of events. Time travel and alternate realities aren't one of the staples of this science-fantasy genre.

Planting easter eggs or tie-ins to the films? Can definitely see that.

To be honest, although skeptical, this has me the most excited about the future of SWTOR then anything in the past.

Try not to let it hype you up too much but it sounds great!

It does sound exciting but.....I'm also wondering if this is EA's last throw of the dice for the game or more hopefully, positive stops forward regarding future story driven content and companion development.

Interesting part is that they are talking about more than one planet and companion.

Do keep in mind there are eight classes. There are two possibilities: multiple companions that are shared among classes, or a single companion per class. For multiple, unique companions... I fear that is beyond the ken of Bioware these days.

Of course, it's an expansion and I would expect to pay for it. However, SoR was so absolutely terrible - literally the worst $20 I've ever spent on a game in my life. The new expansion better be huge and more significant. Story was the emphasis in SoR and that story was garbage. Hopefully, Bee-Dubya is a lot more inspired in their storytelling and writing in the new xpac.

idk, i think we got $20 worth out of it with all weve done.. it isnt like we payed $60 for a new release or anything? $20 bucks isnt that much for content... i have no issues there though it admittedly could have been better in terms of storyline which we my biggest disappointment. More unique character stories are what excites me potentially the most.. not the common generic story we all get. .

This is also why I wouldn't mind flexibility in the storyline that could span multiple time periods... no more fixation on Revan or being too stuck in the literal past. The past is nice and should form the foundation of the lore, but history is always in the making, new stories, new eras, new threats & betrayals- sea of changing politics.

There are no eternal allies or perpetual enemies, only eternal interests, so to speak.

Sorry but can you elaborate on that? I actually like the story of SoR very much!

I'm sorry but this is a game, its been done many times the whole parallel universe alternate time zone thing in many other game. Heck WoW has done it like 3 timed with various expansions and they are still the standard.

Why not? is it that far fetched? maybe some giant explosion in the force.. who the hades knows... but i guarantee we wont stay in the old republic forever regardless. At some point he game must evolve... put on your business hat, can you think of a better time to do it ?

As i said i may be wrong, its pure hunch and conjecture.. but bringing reality into game lore is perhaps the worst argument you can ever do.

Perhaps the worst thing they could do is drag out the same old same old and give us more regurgitated content... WoW did that with its last XPac and lost 1/3 of its subscriber base... i guarantee you EA noted that little tidbit.

Actually WoW lost 1/3 of their subscribers because they failed to deliver any content and then removed flying in the new xpac. People would have been happy with same old same old, as long as their was compelling content and things weren't removed. Also, the lore of Draenor has irked quite a few WoW players because it doesn't follow the timeline of the game. Plus, WoD is boring.

Actually WoW lost 1/3 of their subscribers because they failed to deliver any content and then removed flying in the new xpac. People would have been happy with same old same old, as long as their was compelling content and things weren't removed. Also, the lore of Draenor has irked quite a few WoW players because it doesn't follow the timeline of the game. Plus, WoD is boring.

i think you overstate the importance of the flying thing... if people left a game they had played for a decade over that, its a little silly to be honest. i know my lack of interest had nothing whatever to do with that choice so... opinions are what they are in that regard.

They made fundamental changes to the game with garrisons and battle pets that noone asked for or wanted, and keep expanding on it forcing you to do things you dont want to do. And do all of it with the same characters weve known for far too long... kinda like the Revan complaints around these forums.

You can blame things like flight if you wish, people make their own choices for various reasons but of all the people i used to play with in WoW not one of them stated lore or flight as the reason they are no longer playing. To each their own i guess.

They were at around 7m before WoD came out, went back up to 10m, then dropped back to around 7m. Blaming that on lack of flying sounds like your own personal agenda since that issue by no means has player consensus. Many people loved the lack of flying, including me.

Agreed about the lore, though. Nothing I hate more in stories than alternate dimensions and timelines.

1) New expansion or DLC? Is it a new $20 expansion with new level cap? Or another Stronghold/GSF 'expansion?"

2) New companions! Yeah!

3) Define 'dynamic choices.' We've seen quite a bit of our conversations where 'nothing' we say or do has any lasting impact on the world even in the smallest of ways. How can they possibly offer those 'dynamic choices' that promise to leave their mark on the galaxy when we're dealing with an MMO with hundreds of thousands of players?

Don't lie...it's "The largest story-driven expansion" - not largest expansion.

We all know your a forum warrior stop picking apart people's wording its all up to interpretation at this point seeing as the details are still pretty broad. If you look at past expansions you could debate that Shadow of Revan was the biggest expansion we got so far and it was story based. If this one is going to be "story driven" and its gonna be the "biggest" then you could "assume" its the biggest so far.

i think you overstate the importance of the flying thing... if people left a game they had played for a decade over that, its a little silly to be honest. i know my lack of interest had nothing whatever to do with that choice so... opinions are what they are in that regard.

They made fundamental changes to the game with garrisons and battle pets that noone asked for or wanted, and keep expanding on it forcing you to do things you dont want to do. And do all of it with the same characters weve known for far too long... kinda like the Revan complaints around these forums.

You can blame things like flight if you wish, people make their own choices for various reasons but of all the people i used to play with in WoW not one of them stated lore or flight as the reason they are no longer playing. To each their own i guess.

The lack of flying was a big decider on my part to not go back to the WoW. That and their incessant need to dumb the game down to try and idiot-proof most of the content.

Temper expectations guys. This is good news, certainly. It's definitely more than I was expecting. However, if we start acting like this is going to be the breadth and scope of chapter one, and it's not, then we're in for an awful lot of crying.

Indeed. New expansion and content is a good thing, I just hope it doesn't make life more difficult and grindy but instead, more fun.

Temper expectations guys. This is good news, certainly. It's definitely more than I was expecting. However, if we start acting like this is going to be the breadth and scope of chapter one, and it's not, then we're in for an awful lot of crying.

It's hard to have much sympathy for BW/EA when they deliberately try to hype us up and then scold us for having high expectations and getting disappointed by the actual content.

They were at around 7m before WoD came out, went back up to 10m, then dropped back to around 7m. Blaming that on lack of flying sounds like your own personal agenda since that issue by no means has player consensus. Many people loved the lack of flying, including me.

Agreed about the lore, though. Nothing I hate more in stories than alternate dimensions and timelines.

I didn't say one way or the other about the flying, only that it was one of many things that went wrong. No personal agenda there, I still have two accounts in WoW, so yeah.

There's already a bunk ready, and waiting, for Theron on my smuggler's ship. If that happens. I'm trying really, really hard not to get too excited.

Now please, for the love of the force, let me kick Corso out!!!

I didn't say one way or the other about the flying, only that it was one of many things that went wrong. No personal agenda there, I still have two accounts in WoW, so yeah.

Well, sorry to jump to conclusions about the agenda, but you're still wrong to list it as something that "went wrong". Just because some people didn't like it doesn't mean it was a failing of WoD. If most people disliked it then sure, but that's not at all clear. It may well be the opposite.

I bet you they raise the level cap. The addition of planets (plural!) combined with how they've approached new

expansions (Makeb, SoR) signals a raise in level cap so that we have to do the content on the planet. If they don't

raise the level cap, people will just blow through the new planets as quickly as you do with the 12x XP. And then the whining would be twice as loud, assuredly.