The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DPS VG/PT, which stats & what numbers to go for @ PvP?

TobKilla

I am quite new at playing my Vanguard and with PvP being my primary part of the game I am looking for some help in giving him the "best" stats.

I play Tactics (DPS) and have only found PvE guides so far which are (from previous experiences) not very useful for PvP.

1) Which stats should I go for after (obviously) aim?

2) Are alacrity and/or accuracy of any importance for PvP?

3) What numbers (in %) should I go for with surge and crit.chance?

I don't want to waste my first stack of WZ commendations, so any help would be welome 😃

Thanks in advance

P.S.: Why is there no PvP guide in this class section?

Probably because Im the only one bothered to write a full guide and I suck at PvP :p

In all seriousness, there is a tactics/AP one buried 5-6 pages in, though people just didn't bother commenting on it because the difficulty in playing a VG in PvP is the 'don't die' part, which is something you can't learn by reading, and most of which comes from actual experience.

For tips on PT/VG in PvP, Crinn is your best bet, with Rahc being a great option too for when he's around (though I haven't seen him in a while). Listen to him.

• 3 weeks later...

Power and Surge for Tactics. Plasmatech can go for around 200 Crit though and be pretty viable.

Alacrity is OK for Plasmatech, but not ideal. and Accuracy only really helps against Tanks, but you shouldn't be fighting any tanks alone anyways so... that's a no-go on Accuracy.

% values? I have no clue at all.

Replies in Bold

I am quite new at playing my Vanguard and with PvP being my primary part of the game I am looking for some help in giving him the "best" stats.

I play Tactics (DPS) and have only found PvE guides so far which are (from previous experiences) not very useful for PvP.

I don't want to waste my first stack of WZ commendations, so any help would be welome 😃

Thanks in advance

I do not claim to be an expert at PvP, but I am a bit of a theorycrafter....

For Tactics/AP in PvP, the stats are quite easy really:

Zero crit,

All power augments except one accuracy,

Mods need to be 63 power

Enhancements are 2 accuracy/power with the rest in power/surge

Impants 2x power/surge (or one accuracy if you dont use the augment)

power/surge earpiece

relics give 770 to mainstat and 770 to power on proc

For PvP you want 95 percent accuracy for true min/max, so you may also choose one accuracy augment or one accuracy/power implant to get your 95 percent.

In full Dark reaver your stats should be (with all datacrons and companion bonuses):

95 percent Accuracy

18 or so percent crit

74-75 percent surge

1700 plus bonus damage

Hope this helps :)

95 percent Accuracy

18 or so percent crit

74-75 percent surge

1700 plus bonus damage

Hope this helps :)

Crit should be a minimum of 20%, we don't get nearly enough crit from discipline tree to go below 20% native crit. Also you should not be taking 95% accuracy, hell I wouldn't even take 95% accuracy on a sniper.

You can actually go way under 95%. Accuracy is more of a insurance policy rather than a DPS gain. To put it in perspective when I was testing accuracy I found that one Vanguard with 94% accuracy on sheet ended up with ~87.5% hit rate on his High Impact bolt. My other Vanguard that had zero accuracy on gear ended up with ~87% hit rate.

Accuracy is not a strong stat at all in PvP since nearly all of your misses come from high potency DcDs. So again it's pretty much just a insurance policy against bad RNG. You would probably have better DPS with only a couple accuracy enhancements rather than the full set required for 95%, however Marksman hits so crazy hard you can easily get away with running 95% accuracy and still be able to easily global people.

Personally I run two accuracy enhancements and no more. And the only reason I run those is because the DR curve on surge is cruel.

Crit should be a minimum of 20%, we don't get nearly enough crit from discipline tree to go below 20% native crit. Also you should not be taking 95% accuracy, hell I wouldn't even take 95% accuracy on a sniper.

Personally I run two accuracy enhancements and no more. And the only reason I run those is because the DR curve on surge is cruel.

I do not want to get into a theory war with Crinn, I have too much respect for his work.

But I will add a bit of explanation for my recommendations:

I have studied the gear, spec and utilities of every top VG/PT for the past 3 seasons, and every single one of the top 5 who are playing Tactics/AP have 95 percent accuracy. There is a reason for that.

So I would look at it like this, if you want to play regs and be good enough, don't use accuracy. If you want to truly min/max and compete at the highest levels, use 95 percent. i personally will never see my name on any leaderboard. I play with 400-500 ms latency and that just isn't good enough.

But I always try to make my PvP characters the best they can be, and using 95 percent is the way to do that.

As with most things, it's a choice. If you see me on the fleet, I will have the stats I listed here. Use what works best for you.

You asked for a guide, I tried to provide guidance.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by Zonvodo

Based off the post 3.0 PVE damage parses.......... Power, Surge, and Alacrity. SInce the diff in overall damage increase from AIM aug and power aug I go with AIM to help my crit out while I put surge power alacrity and surge in my gear slots. It doesnt matter what anyone says about pve parses not mattering in pvp. thats ******** it matters DUMP your crit for power and alacrity surge to 70

I do not want to get into a theory war with Crinn, I have too much respect for his work.

But I will add a bit of explanation for my recommendations:

I have studied the gear, spec and utilities of every top VG/PT for the past 3 seasons, and every single one of the top 5 who are playing Tactics/AP have 95 percent accuracy. There is a reason for that.

The thing with SWTOR's meta is that there is a lot of fudging room. The performance differences are small. This is why I say taking accuracy is a insurance policy. It's not best for optimal burst, or even optimal PvP DPS, but the losses are small enough that you can justify them with the increased peace of mind.

Also you need to look at what the game mode is. I actually run more crit and more accuracy for team ranked than I do for regs and solos. The reasoning is that in tem ranked I'm coordinating with another DPS who is going to be another burst class. In this case the value of optimizing burst is minimal because with two burst classes a hardswitch is going to pretty much instantly global the target regardless of where my stats are at. So it's better to go for peace of mind rather than optimal.

And one last thing. Don't take someone's word on something just because of their reputation and/or rating. (this applies to me to) Skill and Knowledge are two separate things. Many of the players posting high ratings do so because of their skill, but in terms of stats they just use whatever the popular hersay is. Conversely many players who are extremely knowledgeable in terms of stat mechanics and general "theory craft" many not inherently have the most skill.

Take someone's word based only on the merits of their argument.

Edited by Zoom_VI

I think 2 enhancements Alacrity should be more efficient rather than 2 accuracy

The benefit of two alacrity enhancements in PvP is so minimal it's practically non-existent. PvP is very unfriendly to alacrity since you don't have reliable uptime.

And one last thing. Don't take someone's word on something just because of their reputation and/or rating. (this applies to me to) Skill and Knowledge are two separate things. Many of the players posting high ratings do so because of their skill, but in terms of stats they just use whatever the popular hersay is. Conversely many players who are extremely knowledgeable in terms of stat mechanics and general "theory craft" many not inherently have the most skill.

Take someone's word based only on the merits of their argument.

Preach it, brotha.

All of my preliminary knowledge of the class comes from these forums, and I take into account what everyone says based not on who they are, but what they say. The ultimate decision for how you gear is how you play. For instance, I have an accuracy set, alacrity, power/surge, and crit set and have found each one to have its uses for PVP dps. I even have a power, alacrity, and pure tank set that I swap gear between based on comps when I am tanking. With the change to comms you might as well get some extra sets if you don't have alts so that you can experiment, too. Not all are best in slot, obviously, and some perform better more often thus leading to the set being used more. You really can't come in and ask what the optimal statistics are for a dynamic environment like PvP, and that's why there is so much theory crafting and debating going on at the same time... because nobody is 100% right 100% of the time. That being said, if something that you read makes sense, by all means go out and test it yourself and then give feedback on it to help your fellow Mandalorian.

For tips on PT/VG in PvP, Crinn is your best bet, with Rahc being a great option too for when he's around (though I haven't seen him in a while). Listen to him.

Shoutouts are cool, though. :rak_03: Edited by AxeDragoneth