The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

cunning and Plasmatech PvP

Zoom_VI

So on a idea spurred on by a sniper posting about using aim augs for MM I tested a cunning augment versus a Aim aug on my VG.

For those not familiar with the idea, here is a test switching out a single augment.

Cunning Aug

Aim aug

The tech bonus damage is the same, but the tech crit is higher with the cunning aug. It worked on my merc too although I didn't take screenshots. Bonus healing is less with cunning than with aim.

Just eyeballing it, it won't mean anything for PvE where single target is king, and tactic's won't get any use because of HiBs prolific use.

However I'm thinking it might be good for a PvP Plasmatech to take some cunning. Plasmatech's functions as a pressure spec in PvP so it's goal is to dotspread 'n AoE all the thingies which should depreciate the damage loss on HiB. Plus it's PvP so we don't give a crap about Hammer Shot. Although the crit increase is also very minor so I'm not sure.

So what do ya'll think? Comments? Ideas? Threats of violence?

That's 0.06% crit per augment, which will be MINUSCULE even with a full set of 14 augs (total to 0.84% extra tech crit, ignoring diminishing returns). And in exchange for that, you lose a bunch of ranged damage. I suspect the losses just from HIB on cooldown (let alone Hammer Shots while closing on a target) will outweigh the benefits.

Stick to datacrons for cunning. Gear yourself with Aim.

That's 0.06% crit per augment, which will be MINUSCULE even with a full set of 14 augs (total to 0.84% extra tech crit, ignoring diminishing returns). And in exchange for that, you lose a bunch of ranged damage. I suspect the losses just from HIB on cooldown (let alone Hammer Shots while closing on a target) will outweigh the benefits.

Stick to datacrons for cunning. Gear yourself with Aim.

Wow, that's early to bash one of the 3 best theory crafters and 2 best PT/VG players in existence (KBN and TACeMossie are the other people i'm referring to)

IMO, If you see a DPS increase in Warzones, then use it. The HiB/RaS damage isn't going to be that bad. Since you Auto Crit on it anyways.

IMO, If you see a DPS increase in Warzones, then use it. The HiB/RaS damage isn't going to be that bad. Since you Auto Crit on it anyways.

You can't actually use warzone DPS as a argument unfortunately, there is way too much variance from warzone to warzone. You would have to average hundreds of warzones just to establish a semi-usable average.

This is why I like to pose these kind of questions. Most of what many PvP'ers view as facts are really just hearsay that comes from people just eyeballing it and saying "well this looks about right."

Edited by Zoom_VI

Wow, that's early to bash one of the 3 best theory crafters and 2 best PT/VG players in existence (KBN and TACeMossie are the other people i'm referring to)

Since when did we crown the best PT/VG player?

I don't use cunning, but I do use an item that's a little unconventional and probably forgotten: a Matrix Cube. It bolsters really, really well in warzones. With my current gear set, it brings my bolstered crit to over 29 percent on my Plasmatech. I started doing this because if I recall correctly, they made a change with the relics so both share the same 20 second cooldown. I figured all I would need is one relic and go with the extra bolstered stats the Matrix Cube uses.

I don't use cunning, but I do use an item that's a little unconventional and probably forgotten: a Matrix Cube. It bolsters really, really well in warzones. With my current gear set, it brings my bolstered crit to over 29 percent on my Plasmatech. I started doing this because if I recall correctly, they made a change with the relics so both share the same 20 second cooldown. I figured all I would need is one relic and go with the extra bolstered stats the Matrix Cube uses.

Only relics of the same type share lockouts. You can use both the Devastating Vengeance and the Serendipitous assault relics together, and they won't share a lockout.

Although yes matrix cubes do bolster well, grizz likes trolling with them.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Let's entertain this for a moment. Let's pretend that cunning augments are marginally better than aim augments. This would only be the case because of a developer oversight. As soon gearing PTs for cunning became popular, BioWare would surely change it. Then you'd be left with a big hole in your space wallet from all of the cash you spent on buying and installing those cunning augments. Sounds like an eventual waste of cash. Buy pretty dyes instead. :) Edited by HaoZhao

Let's entertain this for a moment. Let's pretend that cunning augments are marginally better than aim augments. This would only be the case because of a developer oversight. As soon gearing PTs for cunning became popular, BioWare would surely change it. Then you'd be left with a big hole in your space wallet from all of the cash you spent on buying and installing those cunning augments. Sounds like an eventual waste of cash. Buy pretty dyes instead. :)

The cat is already out of the bag on that one considering it BiS for PvP Marksman snipers to use half aim gear. Not aim augments, aim gear.

Besides given the way bioware seems to balance DPS for classes I doubt they will ever do anything about it as long as it does not become BiS for raiding.

Edited by Zoom_VI