Which Stronghold are you going to Dump?

Lunafox

I grabbed up the coruscant and DK sh's for leveling convience. and nar shadda as it's more of a central hub and rp reasons over tatt. Was stoked when I heard yavin announced. drooled when I watched the live stream. However having said that. If they were to release a future sh like Maanan , or Illum , and not raise the sh cap of four. Then I'd have some descions to make .:p

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably going to dump Tatooine, mostly because there is no exit terminal where you load in. You have to go down an elevator and all the way across the map to exit. That has basically discouraged me from using it at all. Generally I set mine up to get in, do my business and get out as quickly as possible, and that's just not feasible on Tatooine. Bought it with Cartel Coins, so I can reopen it at any time. I hope Yavin isn't like this.

Probably going to dump Tatooine, mostly because there is no exit terminal where you load in. You have to go down an elevator and all the way across the map to exit. That has basically discouraged me from using it at all. Generally I set mine up to get in, do my business and get out as quickly as possible, and that's just not feasible on Tatooine. Bought it with Cartel Coins, so I can reopen it at any time. I hope Yavin isn't like this.

You don't have to go all the way across the map: it's enough to use exit stronghold button on your mini-map, or use Stronghold menu.

I'll probably get rid of DK or Coruscant. I like them and they look nice, but I toon hop a lot for sending companions on crafting missions, and as a necessity for getting the right Underworld Trading level 6 missions I have to jump strongholds frequently. Not having to worry about which faction I'm on and therefore which stronghold I need to switch to is paramount for me, so I only ever use my cross-faction strongholds. If that weren't the case I'd get rid of Nar Shaddaa. It's just so...boring.

I am not they and I only refer to the engine because I thought that BW mentioned the engine themselves with respect to these limitations. But hey I could be wrong about that and if it's a server/data load issue that has absolutely no link to the engine then that's cool.

That does make me wonder though why SWTOR has a lot of these limitation issues that other games don't seem to have. 16 man ops lag fests come to mind...somehow SWTOR seems data heavier than other games I've played. Is it just cheap server space or data heavy progamming? You tell me, I'm happy to learn so I can be more precise about these things.

I don't believe I have ever seen BW cite the engine for any issue they've had.

Probably picking back up every decoration I have... killing all 3 strongholds I have (Cor...DK...Nar...) and creating one single super-stronghold on Yavin

I just think the layout and art of the Yavin Stronghold is stunning

Surprised at how many of you have a full slate of strongholds. I just have my Kaas City one and even that is only about half furnished. Where do you find the time? lol

I bought them and "decorated" them for the conquest stuff when that came out. And by decorate I mean threw trophies on all the walls until I maxed it out. However, about a month into conquests my guild decided it was a waste of time and effort, and my strongholds sit just as ugly as the day I got them.

if you have max strongholds, which one will you dump for Yavin? Or will you just not bother and keep what you have?

That would depend upon whether or not I like the Yavin SH. I just spent about 12mil credits on Tatooine, so Yavin 4 would have to be really, really special for me to want to "waste" Tatooine.

But if it came down to that, I'd drop Nar Shaddaa. I've never liked NS, but I got it for free when SHs first came out.

Probably going to dump Tatooine, mostly because there is no exit terminal where you load in. You have to go down an elevator and all the way across the map to exit.

Actually, no, you don't have to go anywhere. There is an "Exit area" button on the mini-map that you can use (just like exiting a flashpoint, etc.) that has the same options as the exit terminal.

Its ever so easy to choose.

You play Imp as main? Dump Corusant.

On the other hand if you mainly a Rep player dump DK.

Why? COUS THERE THE SAME. Only difference is the scenery outside.

Layout is exacly the same. So its dump to keep them both.

i see no story based reason we should have a house on yavin, it makes zero sense.

Because out characters liked the view and thought to build a retirement home there?

To build a home to base out of to safeguard against remaining Revanites?

Because they're Jedi/Sith who bask in the glow of The Force?

To be a hermit?

There are any number of reasons for a home on Yavin 4, if you can't think of any, you merely lack imagination.

Actually, no, you don't have to go anywhere. There is an "Exit area" button on the mini-map that you can use (just like exiting a flashpoint, etc.) that has the same options as the exit terminal.

Man, I feel really stupid that I didn't know that. Thanks - I've been running to that stupid platform this whole time.

Because out characters liked the view and thought to build a retirement home there?

To be a hermit?

There are any number of reasons for a home on Yavin 4, if you can't think of any, you merely lack imagination.

How about, they can see the future and are lining up for ridiculously advanced seats to the destruction of the Death Star?

I am not they and I only refer to the engine because I thought that BW mentioned the engine themselves with respect to these limitations. But hey I could be wrong about that and if it's a server/data load issue that has absolutely no link to the engine then that's cool.

That does make me wonder though why SWTOR has a lot of these limitation issues that other games don't seem to have. 16 man ops lag fests come to mind...somehow SWTOR seems data heavier than other games I've played. Is it just cheap server space or data heavy progamming? You tell me, I'm happy to learn so I can be more precise about these things.

They refered to performance issues, which seems to get translated to engine issues by the community, but yes, this game is much more data heavy then most other MMOs. The only other one that I can think of that comes close it STO. In a game like WoW, you have a character, and maybe a pet depending on class, but pets scale off the player. In SWTOR, you have up to 8 companions now, all with full sets of gear to be tracked. You have your own personal story, and the planetary stories, where all the decisions you make have to be tracked, plus all your companion stories where those decisions need to be tracked.

Don't get me wrong, there are engine issues too, but that is more related to ability lag or when you move right as the cast bar is full and the ability still gets canceled, but anything to do with load times, or loading in a character has to do with the large amount of data.

I have all four Strongholds, and am reluctant to lose any of them. I will definitely keep Nar Shaddaa (it's my primary base) and Tatooine (love the view). Having Coruscant and Drommund Kaas has saved me from paying for the Home World Quick Travels in my Legacies.

Aside from purchasing the strongholds (other than Nar Shaddaa, which was free), I haven't invested anything in any stronghold ... no unlocks, no purchased decorations, etc. ... aside from a few Legacy Vaults and GTN Terminals. So I could abandon a current stronghold without losing much of my "investment."

As with all changes in any MMO I play, I will wait a bit to see how it all shakes out before making up my mind.

Edited by Thoronmir

This is definitely lame for the players that have decked out all of their strongholds for the conquest bonuses. I'm curious to see if I deactivate one, will it reactivate with all the stuff placed where I had it.

Coruscant seems to be the one I would get rid only because there are so many other ways to get to the planet. However my Coruscant stronghold is also my best furnished stronghold. DK maybe? I spent way too many CC on Tatooine to just let it rot in storage. Gah!

I dunno. I'm not on an rp server, but I rp and every stronghold I have has been decorated nicely. Except for Nar Shaddaa at the moment. I guess I could dump NS since it was free. But I definitely don't want to dump any of my houses at all.

They refered to performance issues, which seems to get translated to engine issues by the community, but yes, this game is much more data heavy then most other MMOs. The only other one that I can think of that comes close it STO. In a game like WoW, you have a character, and maybe a pet depending on class, but pets scale off the player. In SWTOR, you have up to 8 companions now, all with full sets of gear to be tracked. You have your own personal story, and the planetary stories, where all the decisions you make have to be tracked, plus all your companion stories where those decisions need to be tracked.

Don't get me wrong, there are engine issues too, but that is more related to ability lag or when you move right as the cast bar is full and the ability still gets canceled, but anything to do with load times, or loading in a character has to do with the large amount of data.

Sorry to say, but if performance issues is their argument then it seems to me a lame excuse. Every account will have a database table for each stronghold (now 5), to keep track of every change the player make on every hook. Those data will use the same space, having 4 or 5 active strongholds. As the player can only be at one stronghold at the same time, it doesn't matter how much strongholds collects. The server will only read data from one of the database tables for that player.

I bet that they don't want to touch what is related for the stronghold bonus for conquest: 4 strongholds equal to full bonus. That should be simple formulas to change, but... I wouldn't be surprised that they fear to modify their own code.

Wont be dumping any however a lot of severs I am on don't have all 4. so have room already on some. Still Yavin has a quick travel too unlockable in legacy, so see no real upside to having it. I only use SH for utilises and get to that planet quickly. So only Nar Shaddaa has any purpose for me.

I like the look of Tat SH and have it on two severs, Yavin? if similar layout maybe, well guess time will tell but not overally bothered with it at the moment.

To be a hermit?

I can imagine alot!

But... the repubs and imp militarys letting people build homes on a hostile backwater planet they are both occupying is just stupid.

Edited by Monumenta

I can imagine alot!

But... the repubs and imp militarys letting people build homes on a hostile backwater planet they are both occupying is just stupid.

You know, you bring up an interesting point...I can't see the Empire allowing Pubs/Jedis to build on what is technically 'their' planet. It'd be like letting Jedi live on Ziost (I can't see anyone wanting to settle there now though) or the Jedi letting Sith/Imps settle on um...(ack, quick name a pub planet...lol), Ord Mantell? ;)