The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Kurt Russell

I understand Kurt Russell auditioned for a certain part in the original Star Wars movie (SW:TOS as I like to call it). As much as I like Harrison Ford's portrayal, I wonder how different that whole universe would be with Snake Plissken as Han Solo?

Harrison Ford wasn't well known in those days. Was Kurt Russel well known in those days? Why did George go for Harrison and not for Kurt?

Things sure would have been very different if it had been the other way. That's for sure.

Edited by WorldSmasher

From what I've read and seen in documentary's :

George put the three casted actors together Hans, Luke and Leia and choose the three that seemed to be what he was looking for in the enter action between characters. He never intended to pick one actor for each of the lead roles

Definitely would've been different, but still good most likely. Kurt's played several roles that were close to Han's character. (A lovable rogue that winds up doing the right thing despite all of his protests.)

The story goes, as a previous poster mentioned, Lucas actually paired up various different groupings of all the different actors auditioning for Luke, Han and Leia to see the chemistry between them. At one point, however, he was short a Han so he grabbed a carpenter that was building cabinets at his house (and who had had smaller roles in some of his other pictures) for a stand-in to read lines. That carpenter happened to be Harrison Ford and his chemistry with Mark and Carrie was so good that Lucas used him. Edited by TalimRann

Harrison Ford wasn't well known in those days. Was Kurt Russel well known in those days? Why did George go for Harrison and not for Kurt?

Things sure would have been very different if it had been the other way. That's for sure.

Yep, for once, Kurt would never have continually demanded they kill Han Solo to the point where finally when Lucas is out of the picture, the new Disney staff acquiesced and are killing Han in the new movie.

If Kurt was Solo, he'd likely not have been given the axe.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Yep, for once, Kurt would never have continually demanded they kill Han Solo to the point where finally when Lucas is out of the picture, the new Disney staff acquiesced and are killing Han in the new movie.

If Kurt was Solo, he'd likely not have been given the axe.

How using about a Spoiler wrapper?

How using about a Spoiler wrapper?

because it's not a spoiler it's pure unknown speculation. sides if Han Solo does die it's likely more due to Harrison Ford being in his mid 70s and their not wanting episode 9 to be derailed by Ford dying in real life

Yeah, well just remember that Al Pacino was originally offered Han Solo, and turned it down.

Nope. I can't see him as that character either. :confused:

Actually, Tom Seleck was Lucas's original choice for Han Solo but Tom was in the middle of shooting Magnum PI and turned it down.

Nope. Tom Selek was the original choice for Indiana Jones. Which was also why Magnum P.I. eventually did that Indiana Jones, dream homage episode.

Magnum P.I. didn't start airing until 1980, long after Han Solo was cast around 1976 or so.

Edited by Jumajin

because it's not a spoiler it's pure unknown speculation. sides if Han Solo does die it's likely more due to Harrison Ford being in his mid 70s and their not wanting episode 9 to be derailed by Ford dying in real life

I guess we will see when he is run through by a lightsaber by his own son as chewie and the new cast look on, and then run into the falcon, in an homage to the obi wan death in ep IV...

Kurt started acting in the '60s and was in just about everything Disney made in the '70s. He had some long term studio contract with Disney that basically meant they controlled what he appeared in not him. But he was mostly typecast as a good guy until quite a while after new hope. He would have been a lot less scoundrel then ford.

I guess we will see when he is run through by a lightsaber by his own son as chewie and the new cast look on, and then run into the falcon, in an homage to the obi wan death in ep IV...

Ah, so you don't even know the correct spoiler.

Not that anyone does since its all just rumor. And started in 4chan.

Edited by GavinRuneblade

Kurt Russell was not well known either. Just for playing Major League Baseball going into acting. Both were unknowns in mid 70s. Ford actually had more roles at that time. Kurt first job was not with Disney he did baseball training movies for his dad. Edited by HeetCrusher