I wish there was a "Generic Armor" checkbox in the client options.

Ashes_Arizona

I'm a "jedi stripper" maker, I have six level 60 toons, all look basically the same.

I mainly use:

- Relaxed Jumpsuit Set

- Relaxed Tracksuit Set

- Relaxed Uniform Set (my favorite)

- Relaxed Vestment Set

I guess you can call me a Sith pimp. lol

Really though, I'm not some pervert lowlife. I don't get the big issue with dressing our characters to be attractive. Don't forget that this is just another random MMO that I found on the internet, it's all fake, all fantasy, if I want to make my characters look like absolute ******s and models then let me.

It's not something I think about. It usually comes to this: Wow, that's a cool looking set for you. Put a pink or green dye in... perfect! Wow, that toon looks really good!

It's never about sex, or anything sexual. Yeah, those pixels do look pretty good, but I'd never replace my wife with them. It's all cosmetic, and imo I'd rather (In this game) run around with a hot female jedi than some grunting dirty man.

Sorry if it "offends" some freak feminist warlord.

Freak Feminist Warlord...that actually does sound frightening.

Its not a feminism level of offensive for me in total..I could see how people might find it so, but its not so much for me. I just find it to be visually horrendous, artistically it affronts me. Philosophically there may be some other issues to have with it but I'm trying to steer clear of them.

And yanno if you like your characters, that really is fine....the issue for me is I just want the ability to not have to share them with you because I have no choice in the matter. Thats really all.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You find those things offensive. Guess what. I am pretty certain that there are quite a number of people who find you offensive right about now. Suck it up and go someplace in the game where there are no players around to offend your highly "evolved" and "developed" sense of aesthetics and taste. Or stop playing if it really bothers as much as it seems to do. Playing a game in a multi-player environment may not be for you.

Freedom does not mean you will not ever be offended or someone will never disagree with you. In fact, freedom practically guarantees someone will do something you do not like or do not agree with. That is it's biggest pro and biggest con.

I'm pretty sure the artists at BW:A can do far better character assets than what is in TOR.

I'm reasonably sure that their artwork represents some of the better character models in the MMO genre. But, again, we're talking a difference of aesthetic opinion, here. We might as well be arguing about why chocolate ice cream tastes better than vanilla, & telling people who don't think so that their opinions are immature, juvenile, & uninformed.

You can dress it up as nicely as you wish, but that does not change the reality. Arguing that other people have ill-formed aesthetic senses -- no matter how "true" that might be -- will get you nowhere. IMO, understanding that point is the key to a happy adulthood. OTOH, this particular topic -- which has gone exactly as I'd expected it would, based on my experience of this topic on the forums of other MMOs -- is not one which can really be voiced in such a way as to not insult other people.

& it doesn't matter, BTW, whether you intended the insult & offense or not ... & in some sense, your claim that you didn't intend it makes it even more offensive, in that you quite clearly didn't stop to think of the impact of your words before committing them to the Internet, so, IOW, you quite clearly didn't care what impact your words might have. If you arguably didn't care how your wording might insult & offend people, why should anyone give your arguments any greater credibility? Why shouldn't people respond as they have? & I'm guessing, in fact, that you even fully understood that people would react as they have, but you posted as you did otherwise.

That, sir, is called "trolling" in any other context. You posted an inflammatory subject, worded in an inflammatory fashion, & seemingly don't even notice why or how your words could be seen as offensive, or that anyone else's view of them might be so. But we're supposed to take seriously YOUR claims to "offense" at skimpily dressed SW:TOR models? Please, explain how that works. Because I don't see it, at all. All I really see is you riling up the General Discussion forum & getting a good laugh out of it; certainly I foresee no good profit coming from this argument for anyone, other than a day's entertainment.

These topics always make me laugh and this one is no exception. The lengths people will go to in order to whine about the choices of others in a video game never ceases to amuse me.

Yeah asking for a checkbox in the UI that allows me to not have to live in other peoples juvenile fantasies just so I can enjoy the only game currently available in an intellectual property I happen to love is extremely unreasonable of me.

Yeah asking for a checkbox in the UI that allows me to not have to live in other peoples juvenile fantasies just so I can enjoy the only game currently available in an intellectual property I happen to love is extremely unreasonable of me.

Hm, I don't remember saying that.

Ok, now that I've stopped laughing, I can reply...

There are SOOOOO many players in a crowd at almost every given time that I can't see how one "Twi'lek in training" would rain so much ruin on your playing experience. I got into MMOs because I've played games since the original NES, and as games have progressed I wished that I could show off what my character had become to others and inspire awe. With the advent of MMOs, that wish was granted! However, after playing so many I've come to realize that everyone is so wrapped up in progressing their character that almost no one bats an eye at yours. I've played since launch, and I've only been complimented on my toon twice, and one of those was a friend that I got into the game! So I have to apologize when admitting that I don't understand your conniption over this.

Also, not every "****mog'd" character is a sweaty guy or whatever. My fiance just started playing, and after handing her 2mil to twink out her toon, she makes it look like the A squad from the peppermint dewback or something. On top of that, she's proud and constantly jokes about how her character is too sexy for mine. Ouch

Ok, now that I've stopped laughing, I can reply...

There are SOOOOO many players in a crowd at almost every given time that I can't see how one "Twi'lek in training" would rain so much ruin on your playing experience. I got into MMOs because I've played games since the original NES, and as games have progressed I wished that I could show off what my character had become to others and inspire awe. With the advent of MMOs, that wish was granted! However, after playing so many I've come to realize that everyone is so wrapped up in progressing their character that almost no one bats an eye at yours. I've played since launch, and I've only been complimented on my toon twice, and one of those was a friend that I got into the game! So I have to apologize when admitting that I don't understand your conniption over this.

Also, not every "****mog'd" character is a sweaty guy or whatever. My fiance just started playing, and after handing her 2mil to twink out her toon, she makes it look like the A squad from the peppermint dewback or something. On top of that, she's proud and constantly jokes about how her character is too sexy for mine. Ouch

Its just tiresome. I come from a long couple of decades of dealing with people trying to put ******s on everything and I'm probably just bored to tears of unoriginal sexuality at this point.

I'm not saying its not alright for you to like what you like, or your wife to like it too. What you like is fine, I just want the ability to not have to look at it. Your immersion is important to you, mine is important to me...and jedi strippers kind of screw with my immersion and piss off my inner designer at the same time.

Here is another option to try. Start a thread in the Suggestion Box area and wax eternal in there about how your immersion is being ruined and they (the devs) need to send your idea to the top of the priority list to get completed "RIGHT NOW" simply for the fact that you have a superior sense of aesthetics from being a superb artist and overall remarkable individual.

Does that sound particularly ridiculous? If it does, good, then you now know how this entire thread is being perceived by a fair number of forum readers. In fact, I would hazard to guess that it is actually a high percentage of people.

It started out with a high troll score for originality and being inflammatory, but as time progresses and the OP's replies become more and more repetitive the score steadily falls towards zero.

Edited by iacon

These topics always make me laugh and this one is no exception. The lengths people will go to in order to whine about the choices of others in a video game never ceases to amuse me.

Yes!! We need to discuss the bounty hunters who run around looking like Jedi!! End the insanity!! Lol

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=star+wars

I'd say that you perhaps may want to learn to use Google.

On the subject of low poly count models, they're low for performance reasons on lower end systems I would hazard a guess at. Equally you're assuming that the server > client communication in a heavily modified Hero Engine is "good enough" to start automatically filtering costumes. You're automatically assuming that the work will be done purely client side and that the server side isn't having to do extra work in the process (fetch / call from a database etc).

You literally have no idea how it will impact gameplay by adding additional features, or how many systems BioWare may need to alter, and how many bugs may be introduced in that process. None of us do, we can make educated guesses, but ultimately unless you have in-depth hands on knowledge of the modified version of the Hero engine that BioWare is using it's pretty much just that, guessing.

Purely for aesthetic / morality / personal preferences, that's a lot of work for BioWare to do with absolutely zero return for that effort.

Request away, by all means. However this isn't the forum for that, it should be in the suggestion forum.

Yeah, I pretty much agree that the outfits are kind of out of control. And this thread has made it clear that said outfit's staunchest supporters are too. You made a valid request, and everyone defending their Bioware-given right to be stripperiffic has been borderline hostile. You can make whatever choice you want, and I certainly have no power or right to say you can't wear what you want in game, but if you're going to put this guy down as a prude or attempt some sort of sjw guilt trip, then maybe you realize what you're up to is a little an the weird side. Just saying.

Does that sound particularly ridiculous? If it does, good, then you now know how this entire thread is being perceived by a fair number of forum readers. In fact, I would hazard to guess that it is actually a high percentage of people.

And that changes my opinion in what way exactly? I'm not asking them to redesign the entire game. I'm asking for a small script addition that uses resources that already exist that would literally take an intern half a day to make, QA and add to the internal dev build for a patch update.

The only reason you think it sounds ridiculous is because you think its not a priority concern for a game with many priority concerns and...sure thats reasonable, but I'm not asking for the moon here. Development teams aren't limited to fixing one thing at a time, or adding QOL updates on the side of systemic fixes.

Yeah, I pretty much agree that the outfits are kind of out of control. And this thread has made it clear that said outfit's staunchest supporters are too. You made a valid request, and everyone defending their Bioware-given right to be stripperiffic has been borderline hostile. You can make whatever choice you want, and I certainly have no power or right to say you can't wear what you want in game, but if you're going to put this guy down as a prude or attempt some sort of sjw guilt trip, then maybe you realize what you're up to is a little an the weird side. Just saying.

Valid or not, it was not the request that caused all the ire in this thread. It is the insulting nature of the posts and arrogant presumptuous attitude of the OP. Keep the request, leave out the insults and attitude, and people would not have responded as they did.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=star+wars

I'd say that you perhaps may want to learn to use Google.

On the subject of low poly count models, they're low for performance reasons on lower end systems I would hazard a guess at. Equally you're assuming that the server > client communication in a heavily modified Hero Engine is "good enough" to start automatically filtering costumes. You're automatically assuming that the work will be done purely client side and that the server side isn't having to do extra work in the process (fetch / call from a database etc).

You literally have no idea how it will impact gameplay by adding additional features, or how many systems BioWare may need to alter, and how many bugs may be introduced in that process. None of us do, we can make educated guesses, but ultimately unless you have in-depth hands on knowledge of the modified version of the Hero engine that BioWare is using it's pretty much just that, guessing.

Purely for aesthetic / morality / personal preferences, that's a lot of work for BioWare to do with absolutely zero return for that effort.

Request away, by all means. However this isn't the forum for that, it should be in the suggestion forum.

First of all I've played all those games and most of them are almost a decade old or older at this point. TOR is the only real contemporary Star Wars title.

Secondly having your client render a path string requires no input from the server...at all. I could literally do this myself...if the launcher didn't overwrite my modified files every time I launched it...and the server wouldn't have to do anything. I have a fair familiarity with the Hero Engine and its not just from playing TOR. Though these days I work mostly in Godot because I enjoy its more adaptive simplicity.

Valid or not, it was not the request that caused all the ire in this thread. It is the insulting nature of the posts and arrogant presumptuous attitude of the OP. Keep the request, leave out the insults and attitude, and people would not have responded as they did.

Fair point, I read this post this morning when it had two pages and he was clearly the victim. I posted without reading the other 10 or so pages, and lord I wish I had. I stand by my opinion on the matter, but this has just devolved into a mudslinging contest between two parties that care FAR too much about pixel breasts.

Edited by Jduensing

Fair point, I read this post this morning when it had two pages and he was clearly the victim. I posted without reading the other 10 or so pages, and lord I wish I had. I stand by my opinion on the matter, but this has just devolved into a mudslinging contest between two parties that care FAR too much about pixel breasts.

But we're not arguing with his opinion about skimpiness.

We're arguing he's a douchebag.

Because he is.

A majority of my characters are in Mandalorian style costumes, so that negates the basis of that arguement. If I think he's being a prude (and I'm by no means an extrovert) then perhaps it isn't everyone else's attitude that is the issue in this thread?

Perhaps the hostility stems from the original post and the subsequent views / arguments that have been poorly conveyed by the OP since that post, where the TL;DR reads as this:

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Just a thought.

But we're not arguing with his opinion about skimpiness.

We're arguing he's a douchebag.

Because he is.

A decent point made by a douchebag is still a decent point. OP, I agree with your base argument, the striptastic stuff made available in game has gone to far, but you too have gone too far with your choice remarks. 'Yall have devolved what could have been an actual, intelligent discussion into something nasty.

.if the launcher didn't overwrite my modified files every time I launched it...

I'd suggest a place where you could go to learn how to stop this happening, but considering your views are prudish it probably wouldn't be very wise.

Reddit would give you some pointers if you search around about datamining etc.

If seeing this in a video game makes the OP come insulting on the forums, I would hate to see what he would do at a beach if he saw something that "visually displeased" him. He would probably turn into the hulk!:eek:. If this offends you, then I suggest looking at the cover of this weeks eddition of the National Inquirer at your local super market.

A decent point made by a douchebag is still a decent point. OP, I agree with your base argument, the striptastic stuff made available in game has gone to far, but you too have gone too far with your choice remarks. 'Yall have devolved what could have been an actual, intelligent discussion into something nasty.

I'd just like to point out I haven't directly called anyone names here.

I'm not trying to win the Nicest Guy on The Planet Award and I won't pretend I am..but the name calling going on isn't coming from me.

People are inferring direct insult from descriptive adjectives I used in generality that they believe I am applying directly to them. Thats really not my problem nor is it my fault.

Edited by Ashes_Arizona