Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

One hundred percent agreed with this. If Bioware wants this game to prevail (and in return multiply, and honestly 'maintain' their profits) they WILL HAVE TO address this issue.

I believe I can safely say this game could die if this is not fixed. 100%.

With so much work put into every other aspect of the game like questing I cannot believe a company like them would not know THE IMPORTANCE OF CHARACTER RESPONSIVENESS.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand why you guys are getting so worked up for this. In my opinion, it's great you can't start another action before the animation is over, because it just looks plain stupid when they 'clip'. Also, when this problem is universal in the game, everyone has it, and no one has an advantage. So in theory, it doesn't make you a worse player, because ALL skills behave the same way.

My played is now 3 days and about 6 hours, and usually my skills activate when I want them to activate. I may hit vicious slash 2 times, and when the GCD flashes away, I hit battering assault; it fires instantly. If this is the problem we are speaking of, I don't have it. If not, I apologize for not understanding the problem correctly :)

All in all, give the game some time. If you like other aspects of the game, don't let this get you worked up. It's a minor problem if you sometimes have to wait 0.3 seconds for the animation to end. And I'd like to ask for all of you to check again how your skills activate, and make sure it's a problem with animation/skill activation, and not a problem with ms/fps. Next time when I log in I'm going to test this myself, because as I have said, I don't recall having this problem.

I completely agree with this post as I am playing a Sith Warrior Maurader. The is especially true in pvp. As melee it is so frustrating to chase enemies only to have a delay in the abilities as they run away. Maybe this is working as intended but it is the biggest thing that is keeping me from enjoying this game. I am going to reroll a ranged class so i dont have this problem.

Please consider changing this system. It is much more enjoyable when you hit an ability to have that ability work instantaneously without a delay.

I love the game overall, so far.

Just my thoughts.

Whitezi

This is not about button mashing or face roling, not sure why you would even think that. It's about using powers when the game says when can, instead of having "phantom lockouts" due to animations.

I haven't seen or at least I haven't realised there was such a problem, but I saw they have in the patch notes a fix to a GCD issue, maybe they are related? To me this is a bit like the famous "FPS issue" that EVERYONE has (except me and few hundred thousand players but whatever....)

While it doesn't really affect me much outside of PVP, I do know what people are talking about. It's not really killing it for me at this point.

But, with 150+ pages of discussion, you bet your bantha balls they're reading this, and know of the issue.

Has there been any kind of official remark on the topic? I've not seen anything.

to elaborate on my previous post this delay affects crunch so it is not instantly deployed then i have to wait until crunch takes affect then i have to wait for the delay to cast my first ability between 1-2 seconds are lost evry time i have to break cover and reset it which is a lot...

Didn't read the whole thread but I agree completely. Cant count the number of times I moved after casting a heal to have it not go off because I moved too early even though the cast had completed and the animation had kicked.

Another thing I noticed is if you jump and immediately spam a spell on landing, 9 times out of 10 the spell will kick off, the cast bar will progress then the spell will cancel with a cannot do that while moving error, even though you weren't moving when it started.

The problem the OP is posting isn't hardware lag or latency, 35 ms ping here and top of the line rig, it's 100% down to the engine and unfortunately I'm not too hopefull this will ever be fixed :(

Edited by andanetr

Signed in agreement.

I play a repub smuggler healer and theirs some serious frame loss, and lack of that feeling of skills "popping" in smooth succession going on under the hood. I notice it with my medpack drops the most, but its other abilities too, trying to tab real quick and pinch off a clutch interrupt in a 2v1 just always feels delayed, clunky, and off...

I'm not the greatest of PVP'ers, but I do like to play games that are competative and demanding, and this kinda thing frustrates and will always leave a taste of "being held back by something" even in the best of games etc. Adapting to these idiosyncrasies is not satisfying.

We have to remain patient, because refactoring core combat feature code is a high risk thing to be doing. Its not engine code, its feature code, but that doesn't mean its any less challenging to fix.

Hopefully members of the combat feature team can interface with us and we can all start working towards identifying the problems as clearly as possible, and then fixing this issue.

I haven't seen or at least I haven't realised there was such a problem, but I saw they have in the patch notes a fix to a GCD issue, maybe they are related? To me this is a bit like the famous "FPS issue" that EVERYONE has (except me and few hundred thousand players but whatever....)

I have no issue with FPS and don't usualy post on the forums, but this a real issue. It could very well be a game design, but if that is the case, then cast timers should match their animations.

If sundering strike takes 1.7 seconds to actually complete, the cast bar should reflect so we know when we can use another ability.

It seems like a quiet resonable request.

I don't really understand why you guys are getting so worked up for this. In my opinion, it's great you can't start another action before the animation is over, because it just looks plain stupid when they 'clip'. Also, when this problem is universal in the game, everyone has it, and no one has an advantage. So in theory, it doesn't make you a worse player, because ALL skills behave the same way.

My played is now 3 days and about 6 hours, and usually my skills activate when I want them to activate. I may hit vicious slash 2 times, and when the GCD flashes away, I hit battering assault; it fires instantly. If this is the problem we are speaking of, I don't have it. If not, I apologize for not understanding the problem correctly :)

All in all, give the game some time. If you like other aspects of the game, don't let this get you worked up. It's a minor problem if you sometimes have to wait 0.3 seconds for the animation to end. And I'd like to ask for all of you to check again how your skills activate, and make sure it's a problem with animation/skill activation, and not a problem with ms/fps. Next time when I log in I'm going to test this myself, because as I have said, I don't recall having this problem.

A poor engine is a poor engine, and lack of responsiveness is a lot worse than clipping animations.

Also it's not a minor problem, Wow is a joy to play even if I don't care for the game that much precisely because of the crisp responsiveness of everything. TOR is an awesome game that I (and judging by the rest of the posts in this thread many many others) want to play but are being hindered by an abysmal games engine.

I mainly play both a Sith Sorcerer and Marauder and there is key-to-action lag it seems. I have not been able to actively test if the lag is on my end or not, but it would seem that this thread is evidence to there being atleast some lag on the SWTOR end. Tonight, I will check my vid card drivers for updates and monitor my fps during combat.

If this is resolved, then perhaps I will want to play my Marauder a bit more.

Luckily I am a Games Designer (in training) ^_^, and the problem the players are experiencing (myself included) are the disparities between key-presses and visual feedback provided by the casting of spells, pew pew-ing of lasers, etc.

The animation delay exists to provide a fluid fight scene on the screen, if you were to spam your offensive key-bindings towards an enemy, without taking into account the feeling you receive from pressing a button, or the feedback you expect from pressing said button, you would see your character attack smoothly, transitioning from one ability to the next as they themselves are ready (good examples, SW auto-attack into any other instant attacks, or even better, most of the operatives arsenal, especially those involving probes)

The problem only comes when the player expects his keystrokes to have immediate effect (with or without queuing, all this system does is reduce the impact of server lag) when this doesn't happen, as the character is finishing old moves or stuck on the long GCD, there is a massive, constant disconnection between action (the keystroke) and consequence (character taking action)

This is made more noticeable in PvP for two reasons.

1: The problem is actually made worse by the extra delay within Warzones themselves

2: The problem is made more apparent by the extra attention people play to their rotations, and the urgencies of change in rotation (you can happily chain casts and instants all day to try and mask the jarring feeling you get of having feedback 'lag', but when you suddenly have to interrupt one player, switching to throw grenades and healing probes, things get more hectic)

As for solutions, Warzone server optimisation would be a great start (although this is a pretty difficult process to get to work on while-ever reducing queue times are a priority, which they should be of course)

Make new casts begin at the end of player animation, not outside effect animations, this would cut out delay cause by grenade and laser travel time, probe movement, yet still keep the feeling of fluid character combat scenarios (Although I'd personally cut it completely for PvP, any disparity in GCD between moves causes serious imbalance right off the bat)

In conclusion, I apologise for the wall of text, wanted to thank the OP, and those that have made the time to document these processes through you-tube videos and other posts, and a big thank-you to Bio-ware for making such a fantastic game work on such a huge scale so quickly and efficiently, it hasn't been perfect, but it hasn't been half bad!

This is like having a cast time on melee instant abilities, and it sucks so much in pvp but so so so much, that there is no way I see my self playing this game for long with this type of combat...

First dmg from abilities or rather "actions" from abilities should be on key press (not even on key release but on key press) and "actions" from abilities need to bet free from animations and be only GCD limited, when you have an ability that is instant but has a 2sec animation or some even longer you are basically increasing your GCD to that of the animation

And it's especially great when u press the key and the skills go on CD but nothing happens no dmg no interrupt no nothing because your previous animation wasn't finished

I think it's fine as is. They obviously did it for aesthetic reasons. I agree it feels kinda clunky at times, but it looks better and is more realistic (as realistic as it gets in a Star Wars-game).

Concerning PvP; everyone is on the same playing field. Just deal with it. Instant-casts still has the advantage of being able to be used while moving.

I too agree with the OP.

Haven't actually thought much about it before, but this is why I enjoyed WoW as much as I did.

I still enjoy the game so far! I'm leveling my characters and I really enjoy the story. The story, unfortunately, won't last forever though.

Edited by Elethain