Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Well written and I 100% agree. I thought I had horrible latency for the longest time that just wasn't being reported. Abilities that seem to take forever to deal damage, animations that linger far too long--don't even get me started on channeled and AoE spells. The game feels sluggish.

This has to be fixed or the game WILL start to fail. Please, I want this game to be awesome so fix this problem ASAP!!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not part of this group clamoring for everything to deal damage independent of animations, .1 seconds after you press the button as in WoW. I'm fine with the way things are now. I have not been inconvenienced by damage and effects being perfectly synced to their animations--in fact, I prefer it to the WoW system of "everything farts out at the same time". I found it a little disconcerting, actually, that everyone just threw their hands up in WoW and every spell could pretty much look the same, or that I'd be taking phantom damage from fireball impacts before I could even see a fireball on my screen (as I rode away on a mount).

I agree...I like to watch how my toon looks when he is executing stuff...I can execute certain strings of attacks and make it look hella-cool...To each your own I always say...

How come I dont have this problem at home then???

Great question. I want to know why some do and others don't.

But if my computers are the issues with what I'm running I would be sorely shocked. I have even used different Internet locations as well, separate ISP's thanks to a friend who is having the same issue...

What server do you play on? I want to makes an alt on your server to test if that would be part of it.

He was trying to contradict us and at the same time incorporated our biggest argument, that there is something wrong.
Not a contradiction. The animation for Mortar Volley still plays for a second or so after the channeling ability, but it DOES NOT IN ANY WAY prevent me from using another ability, be it something instant and almost animation-less like High Impact Bolt, or another channeled ability that also has a brief set-up time like Pulse Cannon.

In all of my experience, ability use and GCD follows on-screen UI elements and, well, the GCD--but damage follows the animations.

I don't see a problem with this system. I maintain there's nothing wrong with the way things are working in SWTOR.. or at least the way my class abilities are working. I play a Commando and Sage, for the record, and I know that BHs have less "animation desync" than Troopers--their version of Mortar Volley more closely follows the cast time, but whatever.

I'm not part of this group clamoring for everything to deal damage independent of animations, .1 seconds after you press the button as in WoW. I'm fine with the way things are now. I have not been inconvenienced by damage and effects being perfectly synced to their animations--in fact, I prefer it to the WoW system of "everything farts out at the same time". I found it a little disconcerting, actually, that everyone just threw their hands up in WoW and every spell could pretty much look the same, or that I'd be taking phantom damage from fireball impacts before I could even see a fireball on my screen (as I rode away on a mount).

Im explaining it again. There is nothing wrong with having a different system than WoW.

But when the GCD ends, you should be able to do your next move. And if that is an instant cast, it is so.

Nobody here talked about when the enemy is affected by your ability.

This is solely about your move, its animations and the corresponding UI response being somehow out of sync.

Ok maybe I was one of those that assumed I knew what you were talkin about..So let me get this straight...You guys dont like that fact that certain abilities and chain attack dont instantly start doing damage..That they carry out a animation while doing it and the dmg happens as the saber or blast actually hits the target? You dont like the fact that if you are using a mortar attack that your toon has to set it up and so forth...you want it to magically burst out of his hands as you run around? It sounds like you dont like how its a little more realistic

I know, this is how it sounds to me as well, at least from some of the posters.

I like the realistic look of combat and the animations. I don't want a spazzy, twitchy, hack-n-slash, button-mashing feel to this game. (or as some call it, "responsiveness")

Though again, if there are legit anomalies w/ the math and cooldowns, etc. then that needs fixed. Much of these complaints have nothing to do with that, though.

Great question. I want to know why some do and others don't.

But if my computers are the issues with what I'm running I would be sorely shocked. I have even used different Internet locations as well, separate ISP's thanks to a friend who is having the same issue...

What server do you play on? I want to makes an alt on your server to test if that would be part of it.

I think I was off in what I THOUGHT you all were talkin about...I thought you were experiencing genuine delay and didnt realize you dont like that fact certain attacks follow along the animation while dishin the damage out and not just instantly dps'n...Difference of tastes I guess

I think I was off in what I THOUGHT you all were talkin about...I thought you were experiencing genuine delay and didnt realize you dont like that fact certain attacks follow along the animation while dishin the damage out and not just instantly dps'n...Difference of tastes I guess

The delay is real. If a spel is a 1.5s but you a held for another 0.5 due to animation, it's a problem for me. Make the spell 2s or fix the delay. Don't make my cast bar dissapear after 1.5s if I'm not aloud to do anything until 2s.

I feel that I should be able to cast an off GCD instant when the cast bar is done...

Edited by Halacs

i was just talking to my buddy about this exact same thing today before seeing this post. Missing that clutch kick by .3 seconds isn't just frustrating because their now at full health, but also because it feels like your being punished for something out of your control. My friends and I are all ex-gladiators from WoW and we noticed this lag as being very game breaking not only in pvp but pve also. If this issue is not addressed then OP is completely right - this game will be much more likely to flop.

I think some of you are misunderstanding the point of my video.

The point of this is to show you when a move is done casting you should be able to cast the next thing. Now, 2 instant cast moves shouldn't be able to immediately be cast on top of each because the GCD governs this.

But, when a move is longer than the GCD the move's end should signify a point when you can IMMEDIATELY cast another move....period.

I could have just as easily displayed this by being at a target dummy and casting frostbolts back to back to back with 0 downtime in between.

Edited by baznasty

The problem is not there is a realistic animation. I enjoy those very much in fact.

The problem is a difference in the animation and the GCD-System preventing you from chaining your abilities properly. This has nothing to do with button mashing. Even if a Inquisitors channeled lightning would take 5 mins to channel, when the cast bar is full, you HAVE to be able to cast your next ability. But there is a hidden cooldown in some cases which prevents you from doing this.

So you believe at casting an instant off GCD after a timed cast goes off is button mashing?

No. I separated those two different points - loading instant on charged attacks, and then button mashing - in that sentence with a semicolon.

There are many posters in this thread, and they don't all want the same thing. Some apparently want button mashing, based on what they've said.

STOP SAYING IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED...It isnt broken..

It just isnt your preference...

Well, then cast bars and ability times should match the animation if this is the case. If it really does take 0.78 seconds to fully mount up,as oppsed to the 0.5 it says, the cast bar should correspond.

I think some of you are misunderstanding the point of my video.

The point of this is to show you when a move is done casting you should be able to cast the next thing. Now, 2 instant cast moves shouldn't be able to immediately be cast on top of each because the GCD governs this.

But, when a move is longer than the GCD the move's end should signify a point when you can IMMEDIATELY cast another move....period.

I could have just as easily displayed this by being at a target dummy and casting frostbolts back to back to back with 0 downtime in between.

baznasty, your video was simplistically perfect. Now it's just a matter of getting the others to understand (that want to understand, not the trolls obviously). So you're good on your end.

Explaining it a different way though, like you're doing, doesn't hurt though!

I'll break dance naked through Beverly Hills if Bioware promises to fix this.