No Dev feedback speeds up SWTORS demise.

Cool victim blaming, bro.

Good job ignoring what I wrote, bro.

So since someone harassed him, we aren't allowed to voice displeasure with the way he handled himself?

Edited by Vember

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they can simply do what most games do. Put stuff on PTS read PTS threads and PMs...patch to live post a suggestion thread and a bug thread etc.

Everything you and a few others post ignores the reality of how far this went and the legal obligation EA and BW have in terms of how they need to react to it. Now whether its because you simply don't care and think, like others here, the Devs get paid to have their families stalked, whether you are ignorant of the liability EA has in a situation like this, or simply have an over inflated sense of entitlement I don't know.

In the end a situation like this is precisely why the old saying "this is why we can't have nice things" was coined. Hell it is text boom.

No one is justifying, or denying, or ignoring what was done. Everyone is in agreement that it was completely wrong. It's the knee-jerk reaction as a result that is at the heart of the issue.

Good job ignoring what I wrote, bro.

Orly?

Well...he should have went about that in a little bit less of a condescending manner if he wanted to "do a good thing", results aside, he could have handled that a lot differently.

Cool victim blaming, bro.

Orly?

"results aside" :rolleyes:

So since someone harassed him, we aren't allowed to voice displeasure with the way he handled himself?

Now any criticism of his actions is "victim blaming" despite his being patronizing to the marauder community. Nobody condones what happened. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't have approached it differently.

Edited by Vember

From a business POV, I think he is.

You would think wrong then. There are plenty of instances where it is much better from a business perspective to "get rid" of a customer than it is to have them continue to patronize your business.

I did, after the FIRST time you corrected me. Either you can't read or you're a troll.

Pretty sure it definitely says GAME DESIGNER beneath Watcher's name.

Yep, it definitely does. Stop trolling.

I went back to you original post...so my bad. However again you are missing my point...inclusive and vision. That is a purely reactionary post (now that I read it). Here we see devs (admittedly on PTS) saying "hey guys here are the current changes we intend on making. The goal of these and future changes is X....please test and give us feed back on these goals."

I have been fairly specific about this.

Vs tl;dr "this is how we designed things...is it perfect no and we will tweek it." Reactionary and ultimately dictatorial (while polite) with spin, vs proactive, and inclusive. That is the difference I see here vs other games in over 16 years of MMOs.

And you are focusing on a tangential issue and avoiding the real point of this entire thread...which speaks to the real troll tbh.

Edited by Ghisallo

If you have a toxic community, just post under a generic anonymous developer account instead of using your real name, problem solved.

Yeah, because ignoring the fact a metric of your gaming community is completely amoral will solve everybody's problem. OK. :rolleyes:

No one is justifying, or denying, or ignoring what was done. Everyone is in agreement that it was completely wrong. It's the knee-jerk reaction as a result that is at the heart of the issue.

I am not saying you think what was done by some psychos was right. What I am saying is you are missing the fact that even the actions of a few can force EA to make an announcement like this and then if it continues to insulate the devs from the community due to civil liability, being sued by said employee and then NOT being able to hire someone competent to replace him because this kinda news gets around the industry.

I agree with Eric. This community is one of the most entitled and toxic communities in gaming. It's like a

community for a MOBA, only worse.

How do you handle children that are out of control? Firmly. That is what Eric did. It's needed. This community has

long rampaged on about EVERY. LITTLE. THING. People think that because they pay for a service they are entitled to their say in it's development. Sorry, you aren't investing in a controlling portion of the company, you are basically renting usage.

I see people on here say "Don't punish the entire community for what a few have done." Let me tell you that the community has allowed this to breed and fester, and that even if you didn't harass the devs, you are participating in a community (And even in a thread) that sets up for incidents like that.

"Results aside, that girl shouldn't have been wearing such ****ty clothes ."

Nice straw man.

Now any criticism of his actions is "victim blaming" despite his being patronizing to the marauder community. Nobody condones what happened. Still doesn't mean he couldn't have approached it differently.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Vember

I am not saying you think what was done by some psychos was right. What I am saying is you are missing the fact that even the actions of a few can force EA to make an announcement like this and then if it continues to insulate the devs from the community due to civil liability, being sued by said employee and then NOT being able to hire someone competent to replace him because this kinda news gets around the industry.

I'm just saying it should have been handled differently, because drawing a line in the sand over it, is only going to entice that bad element.

Nice straw man.

:rolleyes:

Its not one...you seem to be saying, at a minimum, that the Dev should expect such treatment, that it is part of the job...just a the hypothetical woman should expect such treatment.

I'm just saying it should have been handled differently, because drawing a line in the sand over it, is only going to entice that bad element.

The only bad element being 'enticed' here is you and some others in this thread being unreasonable and attacking them for very silly reasons.

I agree with Eric. This community is one of the most entitled and toxic communities in gaming. It's like a

community for a MOBA, only worse.

How do you handle children that are out of control? Firmly. That is what Eric did. It's needed. This community has

long rampaged on about EVERY. LITTLE. THING. People think that because they pay for a service they are entitled to their say in it's development. Sorry, you aren't investing in a controlling portion of the company, you are basically renting usage.

I see people on here say "Don't punish the entire community for what a few have done." Let me tell you that the community has allowed this to breed and fester, and that even if you didn't harass the devs, you are participating in a community (And even in a thread) that sets up for incidents like that.

By your logic, that also includes you.

The devs' job is not to talk to us, its to develop the game. They were trying to do a good thing by discussing changes and this was the outcome. How is it you do not understand that they very well might be afraid to post again now? I know if I was a developer I wouldn't want to talk to this community either.

Not wanting to expose yourself to unnecessary harassment is not selfishness. Not wanting your family to feel threatened is not selfishness.

Let's get specific shall we?

You are right. a developer's job is NOT to talk to us, but develop for the game.

Eric is NOT a developer.

A Community Manager's job is to mingle in the community, support and enforce positivity within the community, endorse fansites as a form of self-promotion for the game, foster goodwill for the game, and act as a conduit for the players and the developers and pre-screening everything to make sure nothing gets lost in translation or misconstrued - at least this is what the good ones do.

Based on that, Eric hasn't exactly been up to snuff, and actually has helped foster the splinters in the community with that last post.

The dev who got harassed should have never had that happen to him and his family. but wheres the checks and balances? Where is the Community Manager during the outrage? Did he cross check the devs post before it was posted to try to tone down any inciting tone?

That's supposed to be Eric's JOB. You might not like his job - hell, HE might not even like that part of his job - but it is part of his JOB. And he ran the opposite way with it.

To blame people for being upset over that is to really be out of touch with reality.