The threat to stay silent

Monterone

you guys are paying for the game, not for the devs to come on the forums and tell you what changes they're making. they arent required to do that at all, we could just get a list of patch notes when the patches come out and have that be it. get over yourselves. im sure the devs are very scared of your unsub threat

You obviously have no idea what business etiquette is.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with the actions of those taking things personal and outside of the forums.....but at the same time John should learn to be a little more professional as well and not tell the sentinel/marauder community to basically **** and l2p. His posts were insulting to the community, and Eric's post threatening to stay silent is even more insulting and unprofessional. That stuff should have been handled internally and moved on from there.

They can do what they want, but handling things poorly, and basically telling a playerbase of which the majority have been upset since 3.0 to piss off is not exactly good business practice. The current version of watchman/annhilation spec is not popular at all. No one wanted it, they refused to listen to any feedback and ended up making the class worse. The backlash is 100% justified, and honestly, the dude should be losing his job. 3.2.1 is basically the end of watchman and probably the class in general given how they are screwing everyone over on utilities.

Honestly I look forward to this game crashing and burning. I really only play it to kill time now a days. Shame FFXIV doesn't have good pvp as I enjoy everything else about it.

Its a game... Get over it... I'm not even sure why you are still here considering your opinions of the game... If your only playing the game to kill time, I suggest you find something in real life to do or find another game you might actually enjoy playing... People play games because they enjoy them or to relax, not to increase their stress lvls, which is obviously what it is doing to you

While we don't always agree with the Devs and while they may not always communicate the way you would like... Abusing them and raging at them won't change anything... Telling people he should lose his job is also unacceptable... He didn't make the decisions... He just made some posts in a game forum

People with your self important attitude is what's wrong with the online community in general...

You know, quite honestly, I'm appalled that a few of you are ok being talked to the way we got talked to. I'm sure many of you are younger than me, and we got raised differently, but I feel a company should be respectful to its customers.

And no, I am not an investor or an owner, as a few of you spin doctors like to twist things, but I am a customer; and it would be nice to be treated respectfully as a customer, not as a volunteer.

Edited by Monterone

Its a game... Get over it... I'm not even sure why you are still here considering your opinions of the game... If your only playing the game to kill time, I suggest you find something in real life to do or find another game you might actually enjoy playing... People play games because they enjoy them or to relax, not to increase their stress lvls, which is obviously what it is doing to you

While we don't always agree with the Devs and while they may not always communicate the way you would like... Abusing them and raging at them won't change anything... Telling people he should lose his job is also unacceptable... He didn't make the decisions... He just made some posts in a game forum

People with your self important attitude is what's wrong with the online community in general...

Sorry that I don't like being rolled over and insulted by people I'm paying?

I like the game, I don't like the developers piss poor work and straight up ignoring a very upset sentinel/marauder community. Those posts were pure PR. They don't give a damn about player feedback. If they did they would have made improvements to sentinel/marauder, not make it worse than it already is with a community that is already unhappy with 3.0 changes to a certain spec. Keeping customers happy is called good buisness. Pissing them off is bad. If I worked around customers and pissed off a large majority of them I would lose my job. The same should apply to John.

John is the combat team developer. So obviously he did make the decisions and not just make some posts. He's not a community manager like Eric and Tait, he's an actual developer. And the post he made was patronizing and insulting. He basically said "**** you, I'm not changing anything I hate your class." So basically he's intentionally mocking sentinel players and trying to kill the class off.

People like me with self important attitudes? No its people like you who have mommy and daddy pay for your subscription are the problem. Paying customers have the right to be upset, and like it or not, paying customers come first. BW fails at doing that which is why this game continues to barely float above the water. It gets wave of f2p players, a few stay but more leave then stay. I like swtor, but killing the game off is literally the best thing that will ever happen to the game. Its beyond stagnant right now. Classes are losing their originality, the developers are focusing almost completely on the cartel market..... Complete redesign of classes people have enjoyed since launch? Remember when SWG did that? Ya that game is gone btw. Its time to pull the plug and let more experience developers make a new SW MMO on an engine that actually functions.

Edited by Raansu

/nailedit

Couldn't have said it better, Icykill

Edited by mkwerner
deedeedee

Blaming the victim isn't going to help. If anything, your post justifies that statement.

Yeah, but Eric just threatened to stop talking to all of us because of the actions of a few individuals. That's what I take issue with.

I like the game...

... the post he made was patronizing and insulting. He basically said "**** you, I'm not changing anything I hate your class." So basically he's intentionally mocking sentinel players and trying to kill the class off..

I like swtor, but killing the game off is literally the best thing that will ever happen to the game. Its beyond stagnant right now.... Its time to pull the plug...

...No its people like you who have mommy and daddy pay for your subscription are the problem.

Your statements seem to contradict what you are saying... You like the game, but call for them to pull the plug on it... And how is killing the game off the best thing for it... Surely improving it would be better?

I also did not see anywhere in Johns posts where he insulted anyone, or said **** you or that he is intentionally trying to kill the class because he hates it...

I can understand you may not agree with the changes and be upset by them... But don't you think you are reading into what he posted just a little to much??...

Like all changes to any class, players need to L2P them again with the changes... We all went through that to some degree with 3.0...

As for saying my mommy and daddy pay for my subscription, I can only laugh at that statement... Who says that??... Are you 12?? (That was rhetorical in case you missed it)... I'm also in my 40s and have plenty of life experience to know what paying customers should and shouldn't expect!!...

While I agree that we don't get the best customer service from Bio/EA and that communication and opinions are often ignored by the Devs... You are still going too far with your comments calling for them to be sacked... It's negative comments and abuse that makes them less likely to communicate with the community... Be thankful they said anything at all... We were finally getting some information from them, even if we didn't like it... I wouldn't be surprised if it completely dries up now

We were finally getting some information from them, even if we didn't like it... I wouldn't be surprised if it completely dries up now

Yep, the days of open communication probably just died as a result of this fiasco...what a shame

Yeah, but Eric just threatened to stop talking to all of us because of the actions of a few individuals. That's what I take issue with.

It's all about interpretation... I don't see what Eric said as being a threat... he was saying that they didn't need to communicate at all, but wanted to give some feed back to the community as to what they were doing... His statement, not threat, is to stay silent in future to avoid the sort of behaviour that accompanied the posts... He is right, how can a company expect their employees to communicate with us if we as a collective are going to act that way... Many of you just expect too much from your fellow human beings...

He went on to say at the end of his post that they wish to continue communicating with us... I guess it's up to us as a community to behave like human beings... Inflaming threads and posts like the ones in this thread aren't helping the situation... All you are proving is that "normal" individuals can't behave... Imagine how the irrational ones will behave if they make any more posts that they disagree with... Eric was just trying to point out to the community that we need to pull our heads in so that they can continue to communicate with us

Eric's statement -

The alternative, is that we stay silent. If the reaction of this community is to go out of your way to personally harass someone we will stop having a dialog. How can we, as a Community team, ask the Combat team to put their opinions out here if some of you are going to react this way?

We know there is unhappiness in the Sent/Mara community and we genuinely want to continue having an open discussion with all of you. But, it’ll require regular dialog, respecting each other’s opinions, and very importantly, not harassing anyone who is participating in the conversation. That means, we all need to hold ourselves to a higher standard and be accountable for our actions.

The behaviour of certain customers was utterly inexcusable, but I do agree with the basic premise in the OP that a threat to just go silent is counterproductive. Disengaging further from the community when communication is already pretty poor just drives more people away.

It's their game, and they can crap on it if they like in response to arseholes on the forums and elsewhere. But that would be silly.

/shrug. I don't really care in the long run. Server populations have been at critical levels for some time, so unless the sub boost driven by x12 xp remains permanently, I expect this will all be moot in the long term.

Edited by Jherad

Bio kinda failed with damage control after marauders fiasco and backlash hits them pretty hard. IRL threats is a very poor solution :(, but if you did something wrong then you should expect things like this, even if these things are unpleasant. This the f***** internet after all - the kingdom of douchebags and hard-mode trolls. :rolleyes:

I mean, failed PR is failed, don't blame the crowd, just try to avoid rough corners in the next time... and don't buff the classes like that. :)

we will stop having a dialog

And this "dialog" feels more like one-sided monologue for me, sometimes i think thats is better to not communicate at all, not with the Bioware style. :D

Edited by Glower

I can't believe I just read that Eric... I seriously don't know what to say.

So a dev got harassed by players who are not happy with the state of the game 3 years later? So find out who they are, ban them if you have to, remove them from the forums, contact the FBI... do whatever you have to do that people, or companies, do in case of criminal harassment.

But to say you will stay silent? Here's another thing that will happen... you choose your MO to be silence, I will choose to unsubscribe.

Your post threatening us paying customers is beyond infuriating, I want to cancel my sub right now just because of what you bolded -- your public threat. It is beyond unprofessional, I really did not expect to see anything like that. If your skin is too thin to deal with public and everything that comes with it, please look for another job. And if this is criminal behavior, then deal with it that way and keep it private and off the forums.

I don't know what to say, seriously disappointed with the way this company deals with public. :(

Edit: I wish you guys had been communicating from the get go, then you would have run into these issues 3 years ago and learned how to deal with them. We're now 3 years into the game, you're just starting to realize communication is key but you're so inexperienced and sheltered, it's sad that this communication experiment may never get past its infancy. However, should it fail I see no reason to keep playing this game, sad to say.

Unsub then. You won't be missed.

Ty for the link and holy ****... Idk even know. I mean i knew people are nuts but who is at fault here?

Devs rarely answer the pvp forum and when they do this happens... But if they communicated with us more would this have never happened in the first place?

Look at USA atm. So much violence so much anger. People just want to get away from it in a video game and some other take it out on a video game. This could have a lot to do with it. Also in the USA blacks are not "being heard" Look at BWI (Baltimore). Now look at pvp in game... It is the same? No reality wise but same concept?

I mean I'm going side with John Doe idk who he is but threatening someone's family??? *** kinda coward does that??? Over a video game?

Yall gotta be kidding...

The difference between me and Eric? I wouldn't have threatened. If I were John those Sentinel posts would be the last ones I ever made on a video game forum under my own name. Taking harassment into real life and certainly harassing my family over a video game is over the top.

The internet has allowed too many crazies an opportunity to hurt and stalk others. Personally, after that stunt I would understand if the forums were shut down. They don't owe us anything other than providing access to the game.

The difference between me and Eric? I wouldn't have threatened. If I were John those Sentinel posts would be the last ones I ever made on a video game forum under my own name. Taking harassment into real life and certainly harassing my family over a video game is over the top.

The internet has allowed too many crazies an opportunity to hurt and stalk others. Personally, after that stunt I would understand if the forums were shut down. They don't owe us anything other than providing access to the game.

Hmm after reading both posts it's really hard to say who's wrong here. Like I said about im siding with John Doe since IRL threats are no joke. However I can see the hurt his post brought to the mara community. I mean the post was a dick head way to tell people to L2P... However again

IRL > video game

People have had this rage and fustration built up for a VERY long time. You can't take it out on Eric since his post are normally positive and nice but then john came along with a L2P post... I can see the anger and where it's coming from just the reactions are not correct.

heres how a real PROFESSIONAL dev team handles real life threats/harrasment.

They ban the persons and report them to local authorities.

Why would they need to make a post informing everyone about it and threatening to keep quiet from now on..even though WE pay their salaries

Tl:dR: Fire the whole team and hire new people