Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Crossguard Saber!

TitusOfTides

Come December, is it possible that we could see these in-game? If not, why?

I would say no to this because it would completely break cannon / star wars lore. The cross guard lightsaber came about during the "Rise of the Empire" era which is around 1000 BBY - 0 BBY

Rise of the Empire

This game takes place starting at 3643 BBY and goes on so far to 3640 BBY. So we are a few thousand years before the crossguard light saber is invented or appears in lore.

I would say no to this because it would completely break cannon / star wars lore. The cross guard lightsaber came about during the "Rise of the Empire" era which is around 1000 BBY - 0 BBY

Rise of the Empire

This game takes place starting at 3643 BBY and goes on so far to 3640 BBY. So we are a few thousand years before the crossguard light saber is invented or appears in lore.

Source. Because up til now, only one other character had such a saber and no actual history of the design has been given.

(if your source is a RPG book, then it isn't canon.)

Source. Because up til now, only one other character had such a saber and no actual history of the design has been given.

(if your source is a RPG book, then it isn't canon.)

True. Just because the only known wielder lived during the Rise of the Empire era, doesn't mean that he was the first to use it.

But considering that the TC explicitly named December, I think they are asking for Kylo Ren's lightsaber, not the one used by Roblio Darté.

There is no history of this type of lightsaber ever existing. I've searched through multiple sources including

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

This was the only reference to it that I could find, Under the part "Usage and History" it says

Rise of the Empire era

So from what I can tell it didn't exist before this era as it was a custom design, not a standard design. Yes they could implement it, just don't see the history of it during the games timeline

Edited by Nightblazer

EDIT: Yes, I am referring to Kylo Ren's lightsaber. (Specifically refers to it as a "crossguard lightsaber")

I understand all of your points, but I honestly must say none of them really have any merit.

As far as only one character having this item, look at all of the armor sets we have floating around right now. How many people wore Darth Revan's robes, Theron Shan's Outfit, etc? How many people had Star Forged Lightsabers? Was Darth Malak's Jaw mass produced and sold at Wal-Mart? No. We have a lot of "unique" items that anyone can have, and that's part of the whole appeal of having these items.

As far as canon goes, I'm pretty certain that all of these crazy color crystals floating around aren't canon. To a further extent, we don't even know for sure if this entire game is canon anymore. Even if it was, there are many things in this game that are obviously NOT canon.

So, while I understand your points, precedent seems to say they don't matter. I don't mean any offense by this, but I feel it's necessary to point it out.

Edited by TitusOfTides

EDIT: Yes, I am referring to Kylo Ren's lightsaber. (Refers to "crossguard")

I understand all of your points, but I honestly must say none of them really have any merit.

As far as only one character having this item, look at all of the armor sets we have floating around right now. How many people wore Darth Revan's robes, Theron Shan's Outfit, etc? How many people had Star Forged Lightsabers? Was Darth Malak's Jaw mass produced and sold at Wal-Mart? No. We have a lot of "unique" items that anyone can have, and that's part of the whole appeal of having these items.

As far as canon goes, I'm pretty certain that all of these crazy color crystals floating around aren't canon. To a further extent, we don't even know for sure if this entire game is canon anymore. Even if it was, there are many things in this game that are obviously NOT canon.

So, while I understand your points, precedent seems to say they don't matter.

1. Swtor is NOT canon....it never was.

2. I'm sure we'll see the ccross guard saber in game sometime before 12/18/25.

So from what I can tell it didn't exist before this era as it was a custom design, not a standard design. Yes they could implement it, just don't see the history of it during the games timeline

So you're saying that just because there's no record of anyone other than Roblio Darté using a Crossguard lightsaber, it can't possibly have existed before? You do realize that this is extremely close-minded thinking, right?

We have never seen or heard of the Darksaber before the Clone Wars either, and yet it was an ancient and very unconventional lightsaber.

So you're saying that just because there's no record of anyone other than Roblio Darté using a Crossguard lightsaber, it can't possibly have existed before? You do realize that this is extremely close-minded thinking, right?

We have never seen or heard of the Darksaber before the Clone Wars either, and yet it was an ancient and very unconventional lightsaber.

based on physics, the darksaber doesn't count as a lightsaber. It's an anti-photon particle sword. But yes, it was a non-standard force user weapon of ancient design. As for the crossgaurd saber design, it would be something common during any period where force users duel each other regularly, since a crossgaurd has a specific function during sword duels.

I never said it couldn't have possibly existed I just stated that there is no record of it. Nothing more. I'm not against the idea of adding it at all. I just merely stated what I found about it.

I don't believe this will break the cannon in any way. Apart, Swtor and KotOR are non canon at this point. It's just an item. Something to buy in the game with cc. It's a vanity item more than lore or something else.

I don't believe this will break the cannon in any way. Apart, Swtor and KotOR are non canon at this point. It's just an item. Something to buy in the game with cc. It's a vanity item more than lore or something else.

Yeah thats True

Come December, is it possible that we could see these in-game? If not, why?

NO!!!! This is the WORST AND MOST STUPID suggestion EVER!!! Dont **** The Old Republic with **** like this the same way Disney did with Star Wars. what's next on your stupid suggestion list? Ezra's lightsaber gun?

A Lightwhip, energy whip or a laser whip whatever you want to call it would be awesome to have in-game but it'd probably never happen. Githany used one and such a weapon has existed in the old republic era. Maybe one day.

NO!!!! This is the WORST AND MOST STUPID suggestion EVER!!! Dont **** The Old Republic with **** like this the same way Disney did with Star Wars. what's next on your stupid suggestion list? Ezra's lightsaber gun?

Gungan as a playable race.

Based on the suggestions you have in your signature, I don't think you're in any position to criticize.

How is the crossguard saber stupid? There are plenty of farther reaching items that have already been introduced into previous Star Wars canon. Light whip? Original crossguard saber? These take a lot more liberties with lightsabers than having a crossguard. Jump off the bandwagon, and accept that you only dislike it because someone else told you to.

Edited by TitusOfTides

Please NO! No way.

This is a Sci-Fi MMO not a Medieval to get that horrible, awful, ridiculous lightsaber design.

I didn't realize that the movie the saber is in wasn't Star Wars, let alone science fiction.

Edited by TitusOfTides

Please NO! No way.

This is a Sci-Fi MMO not a Medieval to get that horrible, awful, ridiculous lightsaber design.

Just for reference the combat styles used for Star Wars hell just star wars in general has heavy Japanese influence so I see no issue with adding some medieval.

Edited by Anaesha

Just for reference the combat styles used for the Star Wars universe and star wars in general has heavy Japanese influence so I see no issue with adding some medieval.

Thank you! Adding this to the game would do nothing to affect balance... and if someone doesn't like it they don't have to use it! It's not going anywhere anytime soon, (unless Kylo Ren dies in Ep. VII) so get used to it everyone! It's 100% legit canon now.

Edited by TitusOfTides

of all the ideas on updating the light saber that actually suck, you're example is the one logical and obvious weapon, which is actually bad arse if you understand the implication and use.

of course by god awful ideas I mean 'dark saber' and 'saber whips'.

If you want the full essay as to why both of those weapons are completely fail let me know.

As for the cross-guard saber, look at the actual cross-guard(Quillon) swords in the real world, they are specifically designed for a purpose, that purpose is valid in the Star Wars universe.

Edited by gothshark
h for the love of the letter h, i forgot an h.

Please NO! No way.

It's a fantasy setting with spaceships. We have 4 classes which are effectively Wizard with swords.

of all the ideas on updating the light saber that actually suck, you're example is the one logical and obvious weapon, which is actually bad arse if you understand the implication and use.

of course by god awful ideas I mean 'dark saber' and 'saber whips'.

If you want the full essay as to why both of those weapons are completely fail let me know.

As for the cross-guard saber, look at the actual cross-guard(Quillon) swords in the real world, they are specifically designed for a purpose, that purpose is valid in the Star Wars universe.

I'd be real interested in the full essay, if it's not too much trouble. The dark saber doesn't seem too crazy (just researched it (not a big fan of clone wars)) and some of the black crystals we have now are kind of similar in aesthetics.

I remember reading about the saber whip a long time ago with the Sith Lady or w/e, and admittedly I'm not a fan of it. It also would be a lot more difficult to implement compared to a crossguard saber, I would imagine. I guess they're both canon, with the differences being: the crossguard is going to get some actual movie screen time, and it would be much easier to put in the game compared to coding an entirely new weapon.

With that in mind, it seems there would have to almost be an active effort NOT to put it in the game. I mean, it's 100% legit STAR WARS canon whether we like it or not (which I do!).

Edited by TitusOfTides

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.