Solo MMO - Personal Phase

valeita

So is all the new story content going to be solo only? Do you have any idea what MMO means? Obviosuly not at all.

It's really frustrating that there is not a single instanced area on rishi, yavin or ziost that is doable as a group. It'd be fine if it was class story - actual class story (like the one mission on rishi) - but it's not, and don't try to tell me that it is only bacause you change one line of dialogue for each class when the rest stays the same, it's not.

If you want this game to be single player than say it clearly. What's the point of calling it an MMO?

ps. the Makeb storyline could be done together as group even in instanced areas, why you changed your mind about it?

ps2. But I guess you're "evolving" since you allowed people to join others in personal phase to help them out your story is not going to progress, but at least you cna help someone that's stuck) because you couldn't even do that on rishi or yavin.

Edited by valeita

You could enter other's "personal" phases on Rishi or Yavin to help them. I know, because I did it a ton of times.

I agree, though, that it sucked that you couldn't do it together, but my suspicion was that it was because a lot of romance dialogue options were scattered throughout the dialogues and so they didn't want to have to deal with keeping track of various romanced or not romanced flags for Lana or Theron.

The Lana/Theron romances were more nuanced (i.e. more chances for flirt lines, and the game did actually try and remember which one to give you the final scene with on Yavin) than the ones on Makeb.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

You could enter other's "personal" phases on Rishi or Yavin to help them. I know, because I did it a ton of times.

Well we did rishi and yavin together in a group and she couldn't enter in my phase to help. So no idea...

Well we did rishi and yavin together in a group and she couldn't enter in my phase to help. So no idea...

My experience with the Rishi and Yavin and phases was a mixed bag. I did a lot of SoR with a friend of mine, and sometimes I could enter her phase, after I finished mine, and sometimes I couldn't.

But I could some of the time, so...

You have to turn on "allow same class people in your instances", because the game treats them as 'class' quests for the purpose of instancing, so the same tech that prevents two troopers from going into the same class instance prevents two people on Rishi/Yavin.

But if you flip that toggle in your settings, you can both go in. You get the same options as you do when trying to access the same-class story instances pre-50 ("Make new instance", "Help Fred with his instance", etc etc)

But it's been a while since I ran SoR, so as AlixMV says, it may have only been some that we could do that with

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

If you want this game to be single player than say it clearly. What's the point of calling it an MMO?

MMO means that you are online simultaneously with many other players.

It does NOT mean that you must at any time be grouped with any of them.

I am here to primarily to RP with my friends, and up until now you have been able to complete these "class" stories in a way that facilitates it. From level 1 to 55 that was possible. Apart from brief elements on the ship, if you were playing different classes you could share the entire story. That's what stories are for, sharing, and this approach has entirely killed that option.

I have never before felt like un-subbing, but I do now.

You have to turn on "allow same class people in your instances", because the game treats them as 'class' quests for the purpose of instancing, so the same tech that prevents two troopers from going into the same class instance prevents two people on Rishi/Yavin.

We both have this on/allowed on all characters. Still all I can see all the time is a red instance entrance after I finish my quest,

But alas, it's not the main point,. What we dislike about what BW has been doing since 3.0 is that you can't do the quests TOGETHER. We don't want to look at each other's monitors as we do the quests. We want to go inside an instance and have the quests update as we do them. Together.

I am very happy to be able to solo the new content, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I love Rishi and Yavin and the SoR story arc, and I am enjoying it solo. I understand that SWTOR is an MMO, but it's also equally an RPG. The problem I face is that I can only play off-times, so finding a group can be really tough; all the new solo content makes that a non-issue. I don't doubt that there are many people who have to play solo because they can't commit to groups due to RL eventualities (wife, screaming baby, vomiting baby, pooping baby, vomiting wife); making the content soloable gives them an opportunity to participate in what they paid for, even if no group is available.

I am very happy to be able to solo the new content, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I love Rishi and Yavin and the SoR story arc, and I am enjoying it solo. I understand that SWTOR is an MMO, but it's also equally an RPG. The problem I face is that I can only play off-times, so finding a group can be really tough; all the new solo content makes that a non-issue. I don't doubt that there are many people who have to play solo because they can't commit to groups due to RL eventualities (wife, screaming baby, vomiting baby, pooping baby, vomiting wife); making the content soloable gives them an opportunity to participate in what they paid for, even if no group is available.

mmm? I'm not asking to remove solo play. All of the game is soloable (besides ops, but that's obvious), what I'm asking is that it should be open for groups as well, not for solo players only. (And all quests before rishi are doable in a group so I have no clue what you're talking about.)

It's a story quest. You have NEVER been able to advance more than one persons story at a time in an instanced story quest.

yes, but you could be a witness to someone else's progress. now, even when grouped you can't join personal phases together. and this I don't understand. it was perfectly fine to only allow one player to progress, since personal class quests involved decisions that had an effect on companions, you don't want anyone messing with that. but having a friend witness your progress and vice versa was really nice and actually added to immersion. there were things going on you don't have a say in. now, wehenever something happens it's just me myself and HK

You can solo the 1-55 content or do it as a group. The problem is they have made the post 3.0 content only solo. It should be a choice...

It's a story quest. You have NEVER been able to advance more than one persons story at a time in an instanced story quest.

Its not suppose to be as its the same story for everyone...It should be the same as makeb was...

I have been very disappointed by this since 3.0 came out. I primarily quest with my friends, and it's a huge drag to no longer see our characters in cutscenes together, and to have to do every quest 2-4 times instead of once.

It's a large step backwards, in my opinion, and truly does hinder my enjoyment of the new content.

Part of the beauty of this game was having a group of characters and rolling to see who wins the conversation rolls, etc... some of that magic has been lost. We still get social XP boosts in cartel packs, but it seems they've forgotten what the social system was for.

It's not a solo vs group thing either, because you could do all the old stuff solo from the time the game launched. Now solo is the ONLY way, and that's sad. :(

Edited by Beltane

The problem is this tbh. Before 3.0 they did some story stuff... and x2 and x4 heroic stuff. People complained "not enough story... no one wants to do x2 and x4s!!!" The cardinal rule of MMOs is not "group content". If it was we would still have an EQesque world where NPCs only conned red and you had not clue if you were pulling a weak simply tough or bona fide epic mob, until you pulled and the epic one shot ya. The cardinal rule is " the squeeky wheel gets the grease."

So they made more stories. The problem with this is that the one on one interaction between our characters, Theron and Lana, means that "group" action is not something that can be done easily. You do still have the "group" rolling for dialogue in the FPs and stuff. The problem was a lot of people complained about want more romance options and yes, same sex romance options. They didn't have the time or resources to expand upon or change the existing companions nor to add new companions for each class. As such to grease this squeeky wheel they used Theron and Lana and said "group content will be OPs and FPs.

I can see the moral majority freaking out already if the final 3.0 cinematic was Lana or Theron involved in an 3 some or more some or two characters getting PvP flagged because they are fighting for the affections of one of them.

Want less of this? Become the squeakier wheel.

Edited by Ghisallo

I can see the moral majority freaking out already if the final 3.0 cinematic was Lana or Theron involved in an 3 some or more some or two characters getting PvP flagged because they are fighting for the affections of one of them.

Both events at the same times sounds like a Anime show :p

MMO means that you are online simultaneously with many other players.

It does NOT mean that you must at any time be grouped with any of them.

that is CORRECT, sir!

PS. make an update to an MMO game = get various complaints on various aspects of gameplay.

I have yet to find a company that satisfied ALL MMO players

I have been very disappointed by this since 3.0 came out. I primarily quest with my friends, and it's a huge drag to no longer see our characters in cutscenes together, and to have to do every quest 2-4 times instead of once.

It's a large step backwards, in my opinion, and truly does hinder my enjoyment of the new content.

Part of the beauty of this game was having a group of characters and rolling to see who wins the conversation rolls, etc... some of that magic has been lost. We still get social XP boosts in cartel packs, but it seems they've forgotten what the social system was for.

It's not a solo vs group thing either, because you could do all the old stuff solo from the time the game launched. Now solo is the ONLY way, and that's sad. :(

this pretty much sums it up. a large, immersion breaking, inconvenient step backwards. and I still don't know what for...what is the benefit of the new system?

We've just finished Makeb story arc with a friend,

and we were both surprised we could share the dialogs / quests in the chapter 5 as in chapter 4.

We're curious about this design decision, we would be glad to have an official explanation about that.

Also we would like to know if the game is going to be designed this way in the future, too.

Edited by Netzaar

We've just finished Makeb story arc with a friend,

and we were both surprised we could share the dialogs / quests in the chapter 5 as in chapter 4.

We're curious about this design decision, we would be glad to have an official explanation about that.

Also we would like to know if the game is going to be designed this way in the future, too.

They pretty much already told us why. They wanted to add the additional romance/same sex romance options they promised a while ago. There is no smooth way to make that work, with quest NPCs, with the contested roll system.

They really had two options...have the story be the way it was before with contested dialogue and thus very disjointed romance progression or have the "MMO" of the content to be everything else (FP, OPs, contest Boss etc).

Kinda make me shrug actually. This is the ONLY MMO to try and have that contested dialogue with cut scenes any who, so the fact they compromised in order to make people who wanted more romance is a "meh no biggie" to me.

I don't get the need to have another romance in the game myself...you are basically cheating on your spouse and in some cases that spouse is a psycho force user that may force choke you in your sleep if they find out. It is kinda immersion breaking for me but different strokes I suppose.

They pretty much already told us why. They wanted to add the additional romance/same sex romance options they promised a while ago. There is no smooth way to make that work, with quest NPCs, with the contested roll system.

They really had two options...have the story be the way it was before with contested dialogue and thus very disjointed romance progression or have the "MMO" of the content to be everything else (FP, OPs, contest Boss etc).

Kinda make me shrug actually. This is the ONLY MMO to try and have that contested dialogue with cut scenes any who, so the fact they compromised in order to make people who wanted more romance is a "meh no biggie" to me.

I don't get the need to have another romance in the game myself...you are basically cheating on your spouse and in some cases that spouse is a psycho force user that may force choke you in your sleep if they find out. It is kinda immersion breaking for me but different strokes I suppose.

It's not always cheating ;)

Not all characters romance a companion. Some chars don't romance a crew member and just flirt/sleep with everything else instead ;)

We both have this on/allowed on all characters. Still all I can see all the time is a red instance entrance after I finish my quest,

But alas, it's not the main point,. What we dislike about what BW has been doing since 3.0 is that you can't do the quests TOGETHER. We don't want to look at each other's monitors as we do the quests. We want to go inside an instance and have the quests update as we do them. Together.

I feel your pain, I really do. Most of my time in this game is spent duoing with my wife. As a duo, we've been able to clear pretty much all of the single-group content, heroics, flashpoints, whatever. The enforced solo progression instances on that you run into during the Forged Alliances Prelude were quite a shock.

But the upside of it is that you do get to choose what's said, and you're not competing with anyone else for the dialogue roll, which obviously helps with the flirting... Unfortunately, I don't think it's reasonable to expect BioWare to add a button that says "We don't want any flirt options, let us advance the progress of this quest as a group."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.