The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Forgive me, but Shield or Generator for AP-PT DPS?

Lundorff

Just rolled a AP-PT and I haven't the foggiest clue whether this build utilizes a Power Generator or a Shield Generator. Logic would dictate that a shield is for tanking and a generator is for DPS, but if someone could clarify it would be much obliged.

Edit: Generator it would seem.

Edited by Lundorff

Yes generator for sure.

Shield isn't even remotely useful unless in tank stance because shield chance is reduced by a lot, and there isn't much use in being in the tank stance without being in the tank discipline for powertechs at least, because you'll lose your ability to reset your rail shot among other significant dps losses.

Edited by Rebel_Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Same question

I have a Vanguard plasmatech that was originally a pre 3.0 hybrid build that utilized a shield generator.

I have just started doing lvl-60 hard mode flashpoints with him and have him fitted out with some defense, shield, and absorb mods/enhancements/augments. Accuracy is 100.14%.

Less squishy DPS / Pseudo Off tank

Should I ditch this hybrid build and go all DPS?

Same question

I have a Vanguard plasmatech that was originally a pre 3.0 hybrid build that utilized a shield generator.

I have just started doing lvl-60 hard mode flashpoints with him and have him fitted out with some defense, shield, and absorb mods/enhancements/augments. Accuracy is 100.14%.

Less squishy DPS / Pseudo Off tank

Should I ditch this hybrid build and go all DPS?

Definately ditch the hybrid. You're gimping your DPS for no reason, as the tank should be taking pretty much all the damage, and any damage that hits anyone else is typically of the variety that ignores armor, shields and defense.

Especially considering all the enrage timers in post-3.0 content (droid on korriban, final boss in manaan, jungle wampa in blood hunt, walker in battle of rishi)

Remember that your shield actually works ONLY in ion cell. So unless you want to shoot self in the leg, don't bother - you won't get anything useful out of it

Well... to be fair, that was only true at launch. But without any shield rating, the shield rate for a DPS spec out of ion cell is 5% compared to the ~25% of tank spec in ion cell (pre-shield rating)

Thanks everyone!

My shield chance is ~9% with my plasma cell and 29% in ion cell.

If I ditch the shield and absorb mods/enhancements should I put some of that into deffence or just all into power?

You Ditch the shield all together and get a Generator, they have more Tech Power which means more damage...

Just rolled a AP-PT and I haven't the foggiest clue whether this build utilizes a Power Generator or a Shield Generator. Logic would dictate that a shield is for tanking and a generator is for DPS, but if someone could clarify it would be much obliged.

Edit: Generator it would seem.

Lower lvl pvp (pre30) is good to use the shield... But once you hit 30 you want to start using the generator