The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yes/No : Would you still play this game if it wasn't branded Star Wars?

HuaRya

No, i wouldn't have given this a chance. Only that it's Bioware makes good stories.

I would be more for playing DCUO and ESO. ESO I loved the story and awesome graphics and Engine, and was in the biggest Guilds to, but when my friends left for SMITE, then i left along with other things lol.

DCUO, I should check it out.

But with my physical problems, what the hell can i do on any MMO........... nothing probably.

Edited by MandFlurry

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I wouldn't, I thought I wouldn't care but now thinking about it not being tied to Star Wars it just loses all its fun and spark for me.

Since I grew up around Star wars I think I play the game because its a star wars game and I love star wars itself (the original characters, planets, stories in the movies and such.) I wouldn't really like the game because of its content if it had nothing to do with star wars but it had the same classes, armoring, ect. Its just because its branded off SW and has something to do with SW which makes me special to me.

Honestly I wouldn't, I thought I wouldn't care but now thinking about it not being tied to Star Wars it just loses all its fun and spark for me.

Since I grew up around Star wars I think I play the game because its a star wars game and I love star wars itself (the original characters, planets, stories in the movies and such.) I wouldn't really like the game because of its content if it had nothing to do with star wars but it had the same classes, armoring, ect. Its just because its branded off SW and has something to do with SW which makes me special to me.

That^^^^^^^

That, is what i should've said. :)

If the story/voice acting was of the same quality, yeah.

Why, what reasons do you guys play this game for?

Probably this. I mean, I have been a BioWare fan and a KOTOR fan, so that was an attraction to me, and remains so, and of course an important part of that is its Star Wars. That said, SWG was also Star Wars but I never found it that appealing to me, so while I tired it once, I never played it for any real amount of time.

So, if this game wasn't both an IP I was somewhat interested in, and offered game play I like, I probably wouldn't be playing.

That said, SWG was also Star Wars but I never found it that appealing to me, so while I tired it once, I never played it for any real amount of time.

Yeah, that sums up my experience with SWG as well. I wanted to like that game, but it was definitely not my cup of tea.

Yes, I'd play this game. I've tried the other big ones out there, and they just didn't draw me in the same way.

I love the voice acting and class stories and I love the ideas of companions you can interact with. I wish we could have more of this. Hit max affection and your reward is they fall silent...I'd like to see more companion convos in the future.

The graphics are nice, I like them...and I enjoy most of the activities here, though I do wish they'd keep them coming on a slightly quicker release schedule...I would also enjoy more character slots too.

But yes, I would play this even if it wasn't Star Wars. I don't care what a game is called, so long as I'm having fun.

Yes I'd still play if it had nothing to do with Star Wars.

I saw the original Star Wars movie in theaters 15 times. lol yep. But I have never watched any of the other movies. Maybe I should lol.

Played this game since launch, except for a 6 month hiatus after I hit 50 and had nothing to do. Glad I came back, it's a lot of fum despite it's problems. But all MMO's have problems, no human endeavor is perfect. It's a good game as MMO's go.

100% not.

This game is the easiest, most casual friendly pile of "hand it to me on a plate or I will cry to mummy" drivel in the history of MMOs, or to put that another way, not the type of game I enjoy.

I am here, solely, due to their being no other Star Wars MMO on the market.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

Short answer yes

Long answer below

But thats not really a big positive answer for game but more a sad negative answer for MMORPG genre right now.

I have been playing MMORPGs since 1991 and over all I love the genre

But the games in the MMORPG genre over the last 10 years have been so lacking that the options are just not there anymore.

Plus I am burned out big on Fantasy setting (even in single player games with 2 brand exceptions .... Dragon Age and The Witcher brands) so that limits me to sci fi products

And of Sci Fi options, really only choices currently are SW:TOR, Defiance, and Saturday Morning Cartoon Bunny Land (yes yes Eve Online in there to but I rejected that game many years ago when it first launched so is not even a consideration).

Even with all its issues and poor design, SW:TOR is better then Defiance and Saturday Morning Cartoon Bunny Land

So yes, I'd still play (though honestly that's getting less and less as well regardless) SW:TOR if it wasn't branded Star Wars because there is nothing out there there to replace it with.

Regardless of Star Wars Brand, This MMORPG is only 1 GOOD Sci Fi MMORPG title away from being fully replaced anyways.

And its getting closer and closer to being replaced even with out a good alternative showing itself.

The next new planet very well might be the end of SW:TOR for me if its another 8 hour (or less) and done planet with no challenge (like Rishii /Yavin was)

Edited by Kalfear

I think that there are quite a lot of people that wouldn't have given this game a shot without the Star Wars name. With the problems it had at launch, it might not even exist anymore. I tried this game out (and continued to play), not because of the movies, but because of KOTOR. I almost certainly would have tried this game without the Star Wars name if KOTOR had been it's own universe. And I didn't pick KOTOR up because of Star Wars. I picked it up because my NWN persistent world shut down and I was looking for a new game and I thought it looked interesting. I played WoW for several years waiting for KOTOR 3. Instead, this is what we got. So yeah, I'd have at least tried out this game as long as it was the same universe as KOTOR, whether KOTOR was Star Wars or not.

The next new planet very well might be the end of SW:TOR for me if its another 8 hour (or less) and done planet with no challenge (like Rishii /Yavin was)

While I agree with rest of your post about SWTOR being the only decent sci-fi (yes, yes, Star wars is science-fantasy, I know) MMO on the market, this part caught my attention.

How exactly do you imagine planets to be challenging? Crapload of heavy hitting mobs that need HM Ops level gear (192) to beat?

My question to you good sir/madam: If this game wasn't branded Star Wars would you still be playing it?

No.

I would have never started playing it in the first place. Just like I didn't start all the other MMOs. SW - or actually, to be more precise: Star Wars: The Old Republic - brought me here.

I wouldn't have started this game either if it was e. g. a Episode VII MMO. I don't care for that. The era of The Old Republic, that is my favourite fiction and that is the reason that keeps me here, too.

It's hard to tell, honestly. How much would it keep from its current form without the Star Wars brand? Would it keep the lightsabers and the classes/stories and everything and just call them something else? Or would the entire game be different and just run with the core ideas and gameplay? I'll say right now I'm not much an MMO person period and only got into TOR because I was told good things about the story and given how much I loved the KOTOR games I gave it a shot. But the Star Wars brand alone isn't necessarily what I wanted. The gameplay could be amazing and I'd still hold this opinion, MMOs just aren't my thing. But I love the epic scale it gives, the space opera-esque stories for the classes and missions. That's what I like about this game and that's what I loved about Mass Effect which I tried for similar reasons despite it not being a Star Wars branded game. So if that portion of TOR remained then I imagine I'd have at least considered trying it despite MMOs not being my thing. Otherwise, probably not.

Sure I'd play it if it wasn't Star Wars. I almost do play it on that basis anyway. <<== Explanation to follow...

Explanation:

When we hear Obi-Wan Kenobi tell Luke "For a thousand generations..." the very first time we watch ANH, we think he's being hyperbolic, just really meaning "For a very long time". But no, as we watch and read other material, including some parts of SWTOR, we come to realise that he means it, 100% literally that. Twenty five thousand years.

And we are told that SWTOR takes place 3500 or so years before ANH, and yet there is no meaningful difference in the available technology used by characters. That's one hell of a Dark Age (or several hells of Dark Ages, I'm not sure) to arrest technological development. Consider our very own world, and look at the levels of technology 3500 years ago compared to today. (And note that during the European Dark Ages, roughly corresponding to the 1000 years of the mediaeval period (approx 450 AD to 1450 AD), technology advanced significantly. Even if you limit the Dark Ages to pre-1000AD, technology advanced a fair bit.)

My mind rejects this timeline, so to resolve the issue, I call it an alternative version of SW, or just a setting which shares some superficial resemblances to SW. And then I can be comfortable playing a Commando, because, um, Assault Cannon.

No.

As in probably not.

I would still play it if it was branded "Mass Effect" and had some of the feeling of the first two Mass Effect games. Bioware has a lot of credit for making gorgeous games in my book.

But the question is hypothetical anyway, since it is branded Star Wars and I do get to wiggle a lightsaber.

While I agree with rest of your post about SWTOR being the only decent sci-fi (yes, yes, Star wars is science-fantasy, I know) MMO on the market, this part caught my attention.

How exactly do you imagine planets to be challenging? Crapload of heavy hitting mobs that need HM Ops level gear (192) to beat?

right now Id settle for random mobs that required more then hammer shot from my commando to kill

There is NOTHING short of Champion on Rishii or Yavin I can not kill by simply spamming my hammer shot attack

Oricon (55) is more challenging then Yavin and Rishii right now

Makeb was but got massively dumbed down that its basically unplayable now as so freaking boring

And I NEVER want to see another champion that I can defeat by watching NPCs pound him down until Im required to run globes

What I want to see is content that can be solo'd if you are careful but stand a real chance at dieing if you careless and not paying attention.

Right now, outside of ops (and bad pug in the new flashpoints or hardmodes), I do not think I have died in PVE in over 3 months time.

Content should never be so easy you stand NO CHANCE OF DEATH in MMORPG.

The IP of Star Wars is definitely the main draw for me. I've enjoyed the game because of other reasons outside of it being Star Wars too.

I just recently came back after a little time off so there is quite a bit of new content for me. So I haven't reached a burn out stage in my game enjoyment. That may change after a while but as of now, I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.

If a game had "the force", Light Sabers, the Empire and Republic and was not branded Star Wars they would be sued into oblivion :p

But it is the "stuff" that makes up the game that makes me play. If the "stuff" does not appeal to me I don't care what its called...hence why I never stuck with WoW or Champions on line (perhaps the biggest disappointment in my gaming life. I LOVED the table top game) and finally quit EQ2 with DoV.

............................ Consider our very own world, and look at the levels of technology 3500 years ago compared to today. (And note that during the European Dark Ages, roughly corresponding to the 1000 years of the mediaeval period (approx 450 AD to 1450 AD), technology advanced significantly. Even if you limit the Dark Ages to pre-1000AD, technology advanced a fair bit.)..................

In no way shape or form would I defend this game, but, given mankind has been around for roughly 200,000 years, pray tell me how fast mankind was advancing technology wise for the previous 198,000 years?