The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

This game has devolved into a complete money-spinning rip-off.

Koppster

From a subscriber's point of view:

Effectively speaking, we aren't getting much in the way of free content. It's hard to argue that it hasn't slowed down significantly. Has our subscription fee lowered any to balance out this loss in content output? Nope.

Well, that's a doom loop. Aside that there was quite a bit of "free content" last year (6 Flashpoints, 2 daily areas, and a PVP map) compared to only HM versions of existing flashpoints in 2013, our subscription fee first needs to pay for the running expenses, which include server maintenance, paying the Star Wars license and generating enough revenue for EA to let Bioware keep the game running. What remains can be used for content. If the subscription fee was lowered the cuts would be made on server maintenance or content, as Disney and EA are unlikely to forego their dues.

And before I'm called an apologist, I'm here wih my free 7 days right now after a 3 months break - I didn't extend my sub in january after they failed to deliver in december what IMO is their main part of the deal: keeping the servers running and keeping the game in a playable state.

Additionally they are now selling what amounts to content patches as a 'expansion'. Has the cost of that dropped match the smaller size of the update? Nope. $10 for the first expansion, $20 for the second expansion. Increased in fact then.

The question is whether they're just greedy or their numbers told them that the new expansion will sell only half as well, or it actually required that price-tag to convince EA to invest in the expansion. In the end does it matter? That's the price for the expansion until it's free for subs.

Has our money then been spent on making the game better? Nope. The operations are still buggy FOUR months in, and the UI still lags the game to nearly unplayable levels.

The game sure is in a better state than it was when I left. Haven't experienced any ability delay, and most of the SoR bugs are fixed. They even fixed the rocket-boost sound that was missing since 2.2. ;) They're still struggling with class balance, but a least they're doing it in smaller steps that can be implemented quicker. There is more communication, the PTS actually gets used, and they even started to listen and respond to PTS player feedback, even if just barely.

So yes, I'm going to resub this weekend so that I still get my crystals; for me the benefits of being a subscriber are worth the cost of one trip to the movies, and I quite certainly spend more than 2 hours a month having fun with the game. Could they do more? Fix my personal pet peeves? Add content tailor-made just for me? Sure, but IMO they're trying.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the subscription fee was lowered the cuts would be made on server maintenance or content, as Disney and EA are unlikely to forego their dues.

But...but... GW2 has server maintenance and content updates despite the fact that it is buy2play. The only difference is that we have voice acting which cannot be so expensive that it takes most of the money we pay for subbing. :(

Do you seriously consider that a viable way to play the game, at the atrocious rate of xp gain for non-subbers? Besides, you're wrong. you can't get to 60 without buying Revan.

WoW has transmog for FREE, which in this game would neatly nip the cartel market for armor sets and the extortion to account unlock them in the bud. I hear there's some sort of sound-alike in 3.2. I'll believe it when I see it. I would have thought it was too much of a cash-cow.

WoW has a much larger playerbase and therefore the subs sustain the game, with the occosional cosmetic micro-transaction and player services to fatten the balance sheets.

Even if the subs dropped to swtor levels, I doubt Blizzard would turn around and spit in the faces of their day 1 players by making them take out their wallets to compensate for their fail.

Then go play WoW, no one is begging you to stay...but people like you have been saying the same thing about this game losing players since I dont know, 3 years....and it is still here. Not like anyone is going to miss yet another entitled*bi$@*ching player.

Then go play WoW, no one is begging you to stay...but people like you have been saying the same thing about this game losing players since I dont know, 3 years....and it is still here. Not like anyone is going to miss yet another entitled*bi$@*ching player.

Uh, but I don't think we've been losing players and their point is still correct. Lmfao.

Uh, but I don't think we've been losing players and their point is still correct. Lmfao.

Not really. In regardx to legacy unlockx, it costs 240cc I believe he sad, guess what, you get free cc a month that could easily pay for that as a subscriber. The rest is just whiney BS...

And in regards to the buffet analogy (which I think I have mentioned before how annoying they are), it is totally incorrect. Buffet menus change daily, therefor it would be more like paying to eat at a buffet, then expecting to eat there for free for the rest of the month.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

Not really. In regardx to legacy unlockx, it costs 240cc I believe he sad, guess what, you get free cc a month that could easily pay for that as a subscriber. The rest is just whiney BS...

And in regards to the buffet analogy (which I think I have mentioned before how annoying they are), it is totally incorrect. Buffet menus change daily, therefor it would be more like paying to eat at a buffet, then expecting to eat there for free for the rest of the month.

Oh, no, I think their whining is just as asinine as the rest of you. I just meant about the whole 'having to get SoR to hit 60' being something I think is pretty dumb.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. :D

I thought the comment was just speculation based on based on existing lore. The Sith don't have a habit of leaving their planets all sunshine and rainbows.

Thus the comment I made in the SPOILER area.

Troll pls go.

-1/10

Again, your ignorance is not my responsibility.

I thought the comment was just speculation based on based on existing lore. The Sith don't have a habit of leaving their planets all sunshine and rainbows.

Oh come on Taris is still livable..........if you like ruble, starship wreckage, and rakghouls galore. :D

Simple OP....

Any thing in the CM is NOT needed to play and in many cases you don't need them to look Kewl.

You can get as stated many times and I am sure you know 600cc every month as a sub.

Us those cc to buy what you Think you need.

I have been a return sub for 5 months and have not spent one single cc so far.

This is the best F2p game going if you shoose.

Now for us that P2P... I wan these d@mn bugs fixed and no more fluff until they get fixed.

Dog out.........

as a sub I have never had to buy a cartel coin in my life in order to play the game, cartel gear doesn't have endgame stats, it doesn't have ANYTHING necessary for game-play, a few quality of life features but many of those are hardly inconveniences and if I do spend cartel coins from my sub or referral link it is just on aesthetic and superficial stuff.

if you want to see a game that puts a huge emphasis on using real life money to buy stuff play STO, I got a free account there but very often it is thrown in your face all the stuff you can pay for with real life money.

Yeah you can't forget that.

I think there is a nice plot of land on the toxic lake selling for a good price. :D

That plot of land got even lovelier after a female Sith Lord drowned a few of her men there.

You can still hear their screams, echoing through the ruins. :o

Edited by Darth_Wicked

so THAT'S why the price went up slightly.

In normal societies, death causes real estate value to go down. With Sith society, the more people who died there, the more vaulable the real estate. :p

Edited by Nickious

In normal societies, death causes real estate value to go up. With Sith society, the more people who died there, the more vaulable the real estate. :p

Now I want a taris Stronghold next to a toxic lake with ghostly screams in the distance. :D

Edited by Anaesha