The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard PVP DPS Specs?

ddldave

http://torguild.net/calculator/trooper/vanguard/?p=030000000000000000020312020212232111231000000000000000000

This is my current build at level 44. I use high energy cell. The 15% run speed increase works quite well, since it makes it hard to outrun me. :D Hold the line is godly against sorcs and mercs. I like the lowered cooldown on harpoon. I use it constantly in PVP. Overall, after some practice, I do quite well in PVP.

Note That u said PVP DPS :cool:

:wea_09:

this works well with high energy cell but u can use others if u prefer

only have to swap the battlefield training for shock absorbers althou i prefer it as it is

its mutch better than the other someone posted above because the increase in aim = dps

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsMrRrfkzsZb.1

Edited by Lokits

Ahahaha. As someone whose two characters are Sentinel and Vanguard...

You'll be back.

You're right, I leveled up to 13 with Sentinel and I am back, Sentinel kills much slower than a Vanguard does. The grenades and that pulse shocking skill just totally pwns.

Note That u said PVP DPS :cool:

:wea_09:

this works well with high energy cell but u can use others if u prefer

only have to swap the battlefield training for shock absorbers althou i prefer it as it is

its mutch better than the other someone posted above because the increase in aim = dps

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsMrRrfkzsZb.1

Thanks Loki, will use this. I am going to need to reset my skill tree, where do I do this?

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Loki, will use this. I am going to need to reset my skill tree, where do I do this?

You respec on coruscant near the GTN.

Also this is my prefered spec. Go down tactics first. Run ion cell. Guard a healer or jedi knight. Spec is good for melee kiting. Burst is meh, not bad but not amazing either. Survivability is pretty solid especially with a healer buddy. 8+ medals is ez, usually top 3 in kills/damage

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRMZMsrrobfkdsZb.1

Edited by grandmasterub

You respec on coruscant near the GTN.

Also this is my prefered spec. Go down tactics first. Run ion cell. Guard a healer or jedi knight. Spec is good for melee kiting. Burst is meh, not bad but not amazing either. Survivability is pretty solid especially with a healer buddy. 8+ medals is ez, usually top 3 in kills/damage

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRMZMsrrobfkdsZb.1

Running almost the same spec here, the added tankiness of Ion Cell (even though a lot of skills will bypass the armour) and ability to guard is invaluable, the proc with slow on SS is nice also even if I'd like it to last longer than 2 sec :p

Anyone know how 6% aim compares to +8% dmg on Stock Strike in pure numbers? Assuming SS is used when off CD.

Nvm, thanks for the help guys. I just rerolled a Sentinel. Vanguards suck. If they going to make it right, they might as well call them a tank rather than dps tank, wasted my time.

lol.

I am #1 dps in 90% of the games I play and top 3 in 100% of the games I play, as a vanguard. That includes guarding people through the use of taunts.

Go ahead and cy after a while playing a sentinel:-)

Vanguards does however takes quite alot more skill then some of the melee classes as you need to work your distances alot, you have a ton of abilities you constantly use depending on situation, and it is NOT the class of choice you want to press a few buttons and do well. Neither is any class in this game but vanguards have 30m attacks down to 4m attacks and knowing when to use what etc...just takes experience.

After all, if you dont survive, you do no damage, and there are many times you simply dont want to be up close for a stock strike.

Vanguards and Biotechs are best classes in game in my opinion.

Sorcs and Sages are just a tad broken and OP, they are not a good class. They will be brought down sooner or later to a normal level.

I think most vans are headed the wrong way for pvp. Sure we can guard and be tanky and impossible to knock down, but i feel like our dmg output is sorely nerfed in those builds. No stacking dots, no extremely high burst abilities. When it comes to pvp if you cant burst it out go home. I am valor rank 53. On the road to 50 i frequently was at the top of k/d ratios, killing blows, and damage done. I average 6-8 medals a round at 50.

I have leveled as assualt spec the entire time and my last 25-30 level were all from pvp.

my build is this

http://torguild.net/calculator/trooper/vanguard/?p=002000000000000000020312000000000000000322320021023032231

you get a slow every ion pulse.

plasma cell triggers every ion pulse.

assault plastique is a huge hit on a short cool down.

high impact bolt is almost always off of cd and bypasses 95% of armor. (2.5 k hits sub 50 no prob)

at 65% crit bonus damage from gear you get A 100% multiplier on assualt plastique and high impact bolt.

a typical damage rotation at 30m goes like this

Hammer shot, assault plast, incendiary round,( while chargin in to ten meters) ion pulse, (impact bolt if free), stock strike, (bolt if free) pulse on the way out to ten a couple times. Kite with ion pulse and free high impact bolts, use other abilities as they come off cd ***. plastique and stock strikes. Use stuns and defensive cds when you get jumped by more than a 1v1.

Any questions? hit up hugeinjapan , jung ma server.

Edited by HugeinJapan

Since you were too lazy to use the search function, I'll repost:

Hybrid Tactics/Assault:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010zZrsMrobckZfhMrzh.1

- Extremely high sustained damage.

- Great Mobility/Control.

Assault:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010MZbs0MZfhMrdhGMs.1

- Huge spike damage.

- Great range flexibility.

Tactics w/ Ion Cell:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRMZrsRrobfkbsZb.1

- Good survivability.

- Great utility.

Is going 31 in Tactics or Assualt worth losing storm? I love being able to close with sorcs and BH, not too mention in huttball where I can storm up, or to the goal line.

Im lvl 49 and has worked great so far. I will admit that I'm not top in dmg but I can hold my own, and, imo, tanking properly wins warzones.

I think most vans are headed the wrong way for pvp. Sure we can guard and be tanky and impossible to knock down, but i feel like our dmg output is sorely nerfed in those builds. No stacking dots, no extremely high burst abilities. When it comes to pvp if you cant burst it out go home. I am valor rank 53. On the road to 50 i frequently was at the top of k/d ratios, killing blows, and damage done. I average 6-8 medals a round at 50.

I have leveled as assualt spec the entire time and my last 25-30 level were all from pvp.

my build is this

http://torguild.net/calculator/trooper/vanguard/?p=002000000000000000020312000000000000000322320021023032231

you get a slow every ion pulse.

plasma cell triggers every ion pulse.

assault plastique is a huge hit on a short cool down.

high impact bolt is almost always off of cd and bypasses 95% of armor. (2.5 k hits sub 50 no prob)

at 65% crit bonus damage from gear you get A 100% multiplier on assualt plastique and high impact bolt.

a typical damage rotation at 30m goes like this

Hammer shot, assault plast, incendiary round,( while chargin in to ten meters) ion pulse, (impact bolt if free), stock strike, (bolt if free) pulse on the way out to ten a couple times. Kite with ion pulse and free high impact bolts, use other abilities as they come off cd ***. plastique and stock strikes. Use stuns and defensive cds when you get jumped by more than a 1v1.

Any questions? hit up hugeinjapan , jung ma server.

IMO the only way to "tank w/respectable damage/burst" in PvP is to firstly tank in Vanguard DPS gear with a shield generator.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRGbdRbRMZMsMroZb.1

I'd run something like that. Lots of CC and disruption tools to stop casts, and a Stockstrike that hit's like a truck.

Is going 31 in Tactics or Assualt worth losing storm? I love being able to close with sorcs and BH, not too mention in huttball where I can storm up, or to the goal line.

Storm isn't that good if you are playing as a DPS. Most of the time, you're better off line of sighting the ranged that's kiting you, rather than storming out of range of your healer and into their melee ball.

Storm isn't that good if you are playing as a DPS. Most of the time, you're better off line of sighting the ranged that's kiting you, rather than storming out of range of your healer and into their melee ball.

This is assuming you have a healer. On my server it seems tha maybe 1 out of 10 matches has a healer for rep side, and maybe 1 in 20 has a good healer.

Considering this, is storm still bad?

Im 23/4/12 and usually have most medals at 8 or 9 (avg) highest protection and anywhere btwn 2nd and 4th in dmg.

But to me the objective is to win, so I try to pull as many of them to me as possible, then do as much dps and taunt as possible while others take the objective

This is assuming you have a healer. On my server it seems tha maybe 1 out of 10 matches has a healer for rep side, and maybe 1 in 20 has a good healer.

Considering this, is storm still bad?

Im 23/4/12 and usually have most medals at 8 or 9 (avg) highest protection and anywhere btwn 2nd and 4th in dmg.

But to me the objective is to win, so I try to pull as many of them to me as possible, then do as much dps and taunt as possible while others take the objective

If you aren't queueing in premades, it probably doesn't matter what you spec. If you queue vs. a premade, you will lose. If you queue into a pug, it depends on how many HURPDURPS you have vs. how many DURPHURPS they have.

Running pugs with the same healer/good healer/no healer ratio (meaning you're not running with heals) I feel that def spec actually provides less survivability than going dps - since you don't have anyone worth guarding (who's going to stay within 15m) anyway, why run Ion over plasma? Offense is better defense. Much as I love storm, it's not the core of the debate for me.

But the dps choice hurts when you get that really good healer who would be even better with your guard, and all your points work with plasma cell.