The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What if Star Wars: The Force Awakens is actually...very good?

cool-dude

As long as Lucas get attention (good or bad) I don't think he'll care much. If he can think himself a sage waxing about "the art" he'll be as happy as a pig in mud. Although I think it should be a law that the christmas special should be brought up in every interview with him.

As for the movie itself I don't have much faith in Jar Jar Abrams. Hopefully they can keep the lense flare away from him (along with the script) and he doesn't turn every cockpit into an apple store on steroids.

And hopefully there won't be an explosion have 3.7 seconds...

I still cringe everytime I think of the basketball droid. =/

But we'll see. At this time I don't plan on seeing it in the theaters. I'll wait and buy it on blue ray.

Jorm

As long as Lucas get attention (good or bad) I don't think he'll care much. If he can think himself a sage waxing about "the art" he'll be as happy as a pig in mud. Although I think it should be a law that the christmas special should be brought up in every interview with him.

As for the movie itself I don't have much faith in Jar Jar Abrams. Hopefully they can keep the lense flare away from him (along with the script) and he doesn't turn every cockpit into an apple store on steroids.

And hopefully there won't be an explosion have 3.7 seconds...

I still cringe everytime I think of the basketball droid. =/

But we'll see. At this time I don't plan on seeing it in the theaters. I'll wait and buy it on blue ray.

Jorm

I don't think the christmas special was actually him though was it?

I'm kind of confused, Ghisallo. You speak as if Lucas isn't widely and wildly criticized by fans. To say that Lucas is bad is not really a hard battle to fight. Maybe if this were the 90s. Today he's more in danger of not getting what credit he does deserve than being overpraised.

Lucas bashing is what Star Wars fans enjoy most—more than watching Star Wars movies, more than purchasing U-Stor-Its full of Star Wars merchandise, more even than tracking down infinitesimally obscure Star Wars trivia and inserting it into Wookieepedia articles. Lucas bashing is like the weather: it's the one thing all Star Wars fans can safely discuss, no matter how divided they might otherwise be.
Edited by Senrie

The thread started by OPs question of E 7's faith!? I guess the discussion has slide over to debate what's good Star Wars and who is most likely to deliver a Star Wars movie that can generate a general consensus among fans in a good way.

As a fanbase we are extremely scattered and far from homogenetic, thus will all new SW receive a wide variety of welcomes and reviews, but however it doesn't make the discussion less boring quite the opposite.

Old George is in many ways the one that shaped the movie industry in building a franchise that supersede many others and by that being the very first. To me it is quite clear that directing isn't Lucas first choice when it comes to movies. That has been the case since E4. Now "THX"(the movie, not the sound system) slowly gets the acknowledge it deserves, "American Grafitti" still is a Great movie. When then came to the PT Lucas had reach the point when he could, basicly, do what he wanted, and he did the PTs. Now he has over and over again said the PTs is his story, his vision, his work, made for him not anyone else really . . .

What sometime get me in a nerdrage is the 2 dimensional, sometime even pure stupid, criticism of the PTs. I was disappointed as many others. But to disregard all!? Frankly, it just sounds like ditched boyfriends/girlfriends whining, bitter realization that one maybe spent a credit to much on one's favorite object of Fandom.

What we know we gonna get from Jar-Jar is, as from Old George, a good quality craftmanship. The things that get my hopes up, besides Abrams long known fandom of SW, is "Super 8" which has a Steven Kingish balance between Story driven action/drama, frightening everyday darkness and fictional horror, engaging characters and character growth.

My hope is for a mature story, pure and simple . . .

Just wanted to comment on American Graffiti. Absolutely a great movie BUT he had 2 co-writers, a stunning cast and a producer in Francis Ford Coppola who is FAR from being a hands off Producer. My one and only issue with Lucas is that he is great at creating concepts. His problem, storywise, is in the little details. The nature of the dialogue, getting performances out of the actors. When he has co-writers the dialogue is great...he basically tells them "this is how the scene should look, this is what they should talk about" and then the people who know how to write dialogue and get the details right do it. With directing if you have actors of the caliber of (American Graffiti) Richard Dreyfus, Ron Howard, Harrison Ford etc you don't need a lot of direction (it also helps to have one of the greatest living directors alive there to help ya lol). You see this in the prequels. Ewan Macgregor, Samuel L Jackson, Liam Neeson, etc ... some of the best actors we have today however when you go to the performance of the "lesser" actors you see the weakness of Lucas.

At one point he simply was "small" enough that the producers could demand that there be people to keep him on a leash...however he eventually got "big" enough to demand being let off the leash and I think that shows.

It will be fantastic for the intended target audience demographic..... For some of us who were there to see the originals in the cinema, maybe not so much. - but I wish it well even so.

With the co-writer I actually believe the opposite. Episode IV laid the ground work but had some issues (dialogue, directing etc). Kasdan was the co-writer that took Lucas' ideas and made the dialogue less... well... campy at times in V and VI. Each of those movies also had different directors.

JJ...while yes, in love with the "look" of the movies has shown he can get good performances out of middle of the road and simply "good" actors and down right VERY good performances out of the "better" actors. So we have a better director and the guy who made episodes V and Vi what they were (and if not shot down my Lucas on a few ideas wold have made VI even better imo.)

The only issue I see is this. The movie from a screenplay and director stand point could be better BUT if the essence of the movie is against what a person personally believes was Lucas' vision...it will be seen as crap to them. The movie could be the most critically acclaimed movie of the decade BUT if a favorite character dies (be ready for it... I am telling ya...Kasdan wanted to kill a main character in VI "heroically", Lucas said "no this movie is for kids") or if Luke is not some paragon of Light side Jedi virtue but rather a troubled soul who has had to struggle on his own for however many years to tame a great power all by himself without guidance...there are those who will RAGE. This especially those who have been waiting for or are simply expecting a Universe that if not mirroring has the same "essence" of the EU.

Edited by Ghisallo

Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure Disney removed him as consultant after they really looked into the huge fanbase backlash over the prequels...

That's where you're wrong actually. The huge fanbase backlash? The fan base liked the prequels actually. Its the minority of fans that probably grew up on the OT that was so quick to bash the prequels, either that or its the 30+ year old nerds that still live with mom at home in her cellar that can't deal with the fact that Darth Vader was human.

That's where you're wrong actually. The huge fanbase backlash? The fan base liked the prequels actually. Its the minority of fans that probably grew up on the OT that was so quick to bash the prequels, either that or its the 30+ year old nerds that still live with mom at home in her cellar that can't deal with the fact that Darth Vader was human.

You know, I would actually love to find statistics covering this. Everyone I know hates the prequels and the prequels are the but of even a lot of jokes on the media (Im pretty sure I heard John Stewart make fun of them like 2 weeks ago) but I dont know a lot of people greater then 5 years younger then me so they may feel differently. It would be interesting to feel what the vast opinion of them are beyond just a handful of people on forums saying what they feel

Whatever happens, be sure to bring your sunglasses to the movie, now that JJ "Needs More Flare!" Abrams is in charge. The first time a lightsaber flashes across the screen, half of the audience is going to go blind.

This is one of the things I am pretty worried about.

Anyone that has a Netflix account hop on over and watch a couple of episodes of Fringe. The lense flare usage would be hilarious if it weren't so painful.

I am really hoping that the movie will be watchable. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a Darth Walter Bishop... ;)