Why is an X-Wing called an X-Wing?

i--robot

Because its wings are in the shape of an X, right?

But in Aurebesh, an X is called Xesh. So maybe X-Wings should be called Xesh-Wings. Yeah?

But the letter Xesh isn't in the shape of an X. It looks more like a D or an A.

In fact there's no Aurebesh letter that is in the shape of an X.

So why is an X-Wing called an X-Wing?

Hmm. Just sayin'.

But in Aurebesh, an X is called Xesh. So maybe X-Wings should be called Xesh-Wings. Yeah?

Hmm. Just sayin'.

Real Life Reason: In the original version of Episode IV, before all the Special Editions, they hadn't yet come up with the idea of Aurebesh - all the visible writing was in English. That was one of the things changed in the Special Editions. Beyond that, using the Latin Alphabet names works better for a the audience.

In-Universe Reason: After Aurebesh, one of the most common alphabets in the Galaxy was the High Galactic Alphabet, which is almost always used in naming droids ("R2-D2") and crops up frequently elsewhere, such as in the name of the X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, etc. The High Galactic Alphabet is identical to the real-world Latin Alphabet. It's not that different from "alpha" "beta" "gamma" etc. cropping up in English usage. (Side note: when real-world Greek Alphabet letters show up in Star Wars - such as with "Delta Squad" - they're considered part of the Old Tionese Alphabet.)

Edited by DarthDymond

Real Life Reason: In the original version of Episode IV, before all the Special Editions, they hadn't yet come up with the idea of Aurebesh - all the visible writing was in English. That was one of the things changed in the Special Editions.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I'll look out for it next time.

In-Universe Reason: After Aurebesh, one of the most common alphabets in the Galaxy was the High Galactic Alphabet, which is almost always used in naming droids ("R2-D2") and crops up frequently elsewhere, such as in the name of the X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, etc. The High Galactic Alphabet is identical to the real-world Latin Alphabet.

I never knew about the High Galactic either.

Cheers for that. :)

Hmm. Just sayin'.

Because originally in the Star Wars movies the printing was in our alphabet...they invented Aubesh later, over wrote the Latin Characters with another horrible "remastered edition" and called the Latin text "high galactic only unly used by the elite."

Edit... Sorry didn't see it answered. I HATE those special remastered editions and except for one time Lucas forbade the release of the originals after the remastering was done. I am PRAYING to GOD that Disney allows an original theatrical release on BlueRay when the new movie comes out... I missed the last one and the prices for them are CRAZY high.

Edited by Ghisallo

Twin Ion Engine

But that uses Latin letters :p. And around we go.

Furthermore, I cannot recall in any of the OT when they are specifically called TIE fighters.

Fighters

Imperial Fighters

Edited by psandak

Furthermore, I cannot recall in any of the OT when they are specifically called TIE fighters.

Fighters

Imperial Fighters

Apart from "Star Destroyer", I don't think they name any vehicle-types in the movies. Well, snow-speeders, but that's a generic thing.

Really? :rolleyes:

In-Universe Reason: After Aurebesh, one of the most common alphabets in the Galaxy was the High Galactic Alphabet, which is almost always used in naming droids ("R2-D2") and crops up frequently elsewhere, such as in the name of the X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, etc. The High Galactic Alphabet is identical to the real-world Latin Alphabet. It's not that different from "alpha" "beta" "gamma" etc. cropping up in English usage. (Side note: when real-world Greek Alphabet letters show up in Star Wars - such as with "Delta Squad" - they're considered part of the Old Tionese Alphabet.)

Edited by Darkelefantos

Apart from "Star Destroyer", I don't think they name any vehicle-types in the movies. Well, snow-speeders, but that's a generic thing.

Actually they were not "snow-speeders" The alliance called them "speeders" and they had to be adapted to the cold. If they were in fact "snow speeders" then they would not have had to be "adapted."

The more I think about it, the more I believe that all the ship naming was the result of Kenner coming up with kid friendly names (with Lucas's approval of course), and then those names just stuck.

Actually they were not "snow-speeders" The alliance called them "speeders" and they had to be adapted to the cold. If they were in fact "snow speeders" then they would not have had to be "adapted."

The more I think about it, the more I believe that all the ship naming was the result of Kenner coming up with kid friendly names (with Lucas's approval of course), and then those names just stuck.

Shows what I know - well, double-checking is an excuse to watch Empire again, so I should probably get on that.

Shows what I know - well, double-checking is an excuse to watch Empire again, so I should probably get on that.

Don't feel too bad, I recently read the EULegends book "Choices of One." In that book describes where they got those speeders and how they ended up on Hoth.

Actually it doesn't - Aurebesh is a straight cypher of English and the Latin Alphabet. "Trill Isk Esk" the Aurebesh equivalent of "T I E" is both still pronounced as "tie" and is a normal abbreviation for the words "Twin Ion Engine".

That is, in Aurebesh, the first letter of their word for "Twin" is trill, the first letter of their word for Ion is isk, and the first letter of their word for Engine is esk - and "trill isk esk" would phonetically be pronounced "tie".

Edited by DarthDymond

Reminds me of how I've been running through the first chapter of the Imperial Agent storyline over the last couple of weeks, and every time the lead terrorist's "name" comes up, I'm like "how does anyone know what an eagle is?"

et's race shows up in the senate in phamtom menace clearly they broght a cataloge of earth info from there explorations.