Kill your companions, again !

Lindraskada

yes, this has been mentioned before

yes, it was in a long time ago and got taken out for various reasons

so without further ado ! -can we please have the "permanently kill off companion" put (back) in please !

Pros:

would be very useful , (looking at you malavai quinn)

would add to the role play and individuality of the players

would free up database space ! (X is dead, rather than X inventory list is smaller amount of data)

would let me kill malavai quinn

allow darwinism to work on players (if you click the ARE YOU COMPLETELY SURE button and cry about it later, we get to mock you )

Cons:

Restricts crafting (more on this LATER )

restricts support role for players

however ! the "you need X amount of minions to do Y amount of crafting and have a companion for Moloing" argument. yes its valid. however:

a- most people dont use anywhere near all their minions, well you cant, with the cap as it is now

b- you could restrict this, even through conversation, to a minimum amount, thus :

you can never have less than (arbitrary number)

so you go up to minion 1 in a cantina and say [i think you smell of wee im going to stab you in the face] they reply with [oh but how will you craft oh great one] to which you can choose [i have an assassin droid for that] or [id rather rely on an ewok].. you see where this is going yes ? :p

a LOT of people have the cartel minions so they could over-write quite easily, and im sure most people wouldnt want to kill off more than 2 companions from the vanilla list, and even if they did ,im sure there are more companions incoming some time or other ;)

so you must have AT LEAST (say) 5 , but any more are "spare" and can replace those you fire/kill/turn into desk ornaments

on the technical front :

- companions have the "death" animations, or the "walk off" animations, so no rigging etc required

- im sure there is enough already recorded dialogue for the class companions that covers "oh no please dont" and "aaargh *splat* " and so on that it wouldnt require any more paying people to record it

- it existed at least in a basic form way back when so the framework must still be there

a "X has died, reset romance quest " is not -that- hard to compile code-wise afaik

- restrict it to 50 or 55, as A- at that point it wont bugger up story stuff by having them miss out on missions, and B- from a fluff point of view you are powerful enough/high enough rank / etc to get away with it by then.

er, think thats everything :(

Even my lightside Sith Warrior would have used this... actually he would have used it twice (I dont understand why I have broonmark on my ship)

My LS Sith warrior wants to turn Broonmark into a fur coat, feed Quinn to a rancor, and my DS inquisitor would REALLY enjoy tying Ashara's annoying butt to the nose out my ship and enter atmosphere from orbit...ijs Even my light V Jedi knight wants to "cover scourge in gold paint and sell him to especially stupid jawas..."

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

The reason why bioware doesn't let us kill companions is not because of players killing a comp and wanting it back later, its because of stupid players who don't know that companions could be killed, and then whining about it when they finish their class story with only four companions. Also, certain companions like Kira and Khem are important to the story.

How about just freezing them in carbonite and hanging them on the walls of your ship? With an option to thaw them out. We could have the fun of beating them up and freezing them, but it would be undoable.

Ashara in Carbonite....? I'd never considered this. Yes.... I think I could go for that, too...

yes, it was in a long time ago and got taken out for various reasons

You missed the two primary reasons it was taken out:

1. In beta, when players chose to kill their companion, then couldn't get it back, they made a ton of tickets asking for restores. BioWare doesn't want to get inundated with tickets asking for companion restores, so they aren't going to allow players to ever be in a position to ask for companions to be restored.

2. Companion deaths would need to be accounted for in any possible future story, which could limit how story is told, or just result in no new story ever touching on companions on the killable list. A recent example is Quinn, a killable companion in Beta, appeared in the Warrior cut scene for the SOR intro to Rishi. If they allowed him to be killable they would have had to either make two cut scenes, or players who didn't kill him would just never see him again, which would be kind of unfair to those players, and undermines their decision to not kill.

These two items are fairly insurmountable roadblocks to them ever making companions killable.

You missed the two primary reasons it was taken out...

Well, I do know it does make things more complicated if companions would be killable, but...

... on the other hand, then they shouldn't have made such ridiculous stories where you (might) aks yourself "why should I let that creature keep breathing?"

Leaving out the fact that some companions might be considered annoying (wich is a matter of personal taste), some of the storylines are just broken in that regard.

Example 1: Gault (Bountyhunter)

There is a bounty on Gault's (or whatever his real name was) head. The BH is charged to catch that guy. Once you get him and fight him a bit, you will get to a dialogue cut-scene. In there, he makes you betray your employer. No choice for the BH to be an honest "I get the job done"-BH type, no way to play the "untouchable, no birbes accepted"-tough guy... the only option you have is accept his offer, play tricks on your employer and in addition accept him into your crew. That "plottwist" was, when I got there on my first BH, a huge letdown that, for a few weeks, made me not want to continue the story of that char, because it kind of ruined a great protion of the otherwise good story. So, I really wish they would have implemented some kind of option to kill that guy there (instead of accepting him into the crew) and get an alternative companion instead of him.

Example 2: Malavai Quinn (Sith Warrior)

Halway through the story, this guy betrayes you, leading you into a trap set up by your enemies. And after that, in the following dialogue, what options do you have? All possible answers come to the same ending, some version of "yeah, you betrayed me, sold me to my enemies, almost got me killed, but hey, I killed millions of more usefull creatures for less severe miss-doings... sure, I'm fine with that and let you get away with it, let you live and keep you as a company..."

Again, a big letdown storywise that at tjis point, there is no choice to kill Malavai Quinn and replace himwith nsomething more loyal and useful.

So, for me it's not about stuff like "I don't need a tank/healer/dps" or "I don't like their comments during combat" or other stuff like that... for me, it's because of logic-holes in the story big enough squadrons of death-stars could fly through side by side.

As good as most stories in the game are, these two are examples where more options should have been implemented, including a conversation option to get rid of the unwanted being and replace it with something more fitting.

Example 1: Gault (Bountyhunter)

There is a bounty on Gault's (or whatever his real name was) head. The BH is charged to catch that guy. Once you get him and fight him a bit, you will get to a dialogue cut-scene. In there, he makes you betray your employer. No choice for the BH to be an honest "I get the job done"-BH type, no way to play the "untouchable, no birbes accepted"-tough guy... the only option you have is accept his offer, play tricks on your employer and in addition accept him into your crew. That "plottwist" was, when I got there on my first BH, a huge letdown that, for a few weeks, made me not want to continue the story of that char, because it kind of ruined a great protion of the otherwise good story. So, I really wish they would have implemented some kind of option to kill that guy there (instead of accepting him into the crew) and get an alternative companion instead of him.

Devaronians are supposed to be pretty silver tongued. I suppose like all those arguments I have seen about your SW being smart enough to keep someone as resourceful as Quinn around regardless if you are evil or not. I suppose they are saying your BH simply failed his "resist quick talk" roll enough to be conned into sparing Gault. I guess Gault rolled a natural 20 on his Bluff in this case.

I for one wish they woul fix the whole Zash/Khem Val thing so that you now get ehr speech patterns if you chose her. They did it for some Makeb scenes.

Devaronians are supposed to be pretty silver tongued [...] I suppose they are saying your BH simply failed his "resist quick talk" roll enough to be conned into sparing Gault. I guess Gault rolled a natural 20 on his Bluff in this case.

Well...

first: that's why blast them to pieces before they can start to talk...

second: if that's what should have been the idea... maybe they should have done some better dialogues so this becomes more plausible...

third: what sane person would play SW-rpg with the dumb20-rules when they have access to the good old d6 based version by WEG?

To add my own two cents, perhaps if they implemented a method of killing off companions again, they could, as many people have suggested, use replacement companions in exchange. The main question is who do you use?

The Galactic Starfighter crew.

There's already a backstory (albeit brief) on each character, they already have unique personalities, and you've met them on each character. You wouldn't need unique replacements for each class when you have these guys to replace any companions possible to be killed off. Of course, I would also say that the starter companion for each class should not be killable, if only because of how integrated they are into the story beyond the others you get later.

These are the examples for the imperial equivilants:

MZ-12 could be a ranged Tank that uses Aim - could potentially replace Blizz for Bounty Hunters, Kaliyo for Imperial Agents (though due to how important she tends to be throughout the entire story, probably not.) , Pierce for Sith Warriors, Xalek for Sith Inquisitors (don't know why anybody would.)

Salana Rok could be a ranged DPS that uses Cunning could replace Gault for Bounty Hunters, Ensign Temple for Imperial Agents, Andronikos for Sith Inquisitors, Vette for Warriors (first companion, probably shouldn't),

This companion could possibly be romanceable if these companions were to be given conversation cutscenes.

Writch Hurley could be a Healer that uses Cunning. Could replace Mako for Bounty Hunters (see examples above), Malavai Quinn for Sith Warriors, Talos Drelik for Sith Inquisitors, and Doctor Lokin for Imperial Agents.

Aven Geth could be a melee (vibroblade wielding) Tank or DPS using either Cunning or Aim depending on who you replace. Could replace Torian Cadera or Skadge for Bounty Hunter, Vector or SCORPIO for Imperial Agent,

Jaesa or Broonmark for Sith warrior, and Ashara Zavros or Xalek for Sith Inquisitor.

As a simpler option, assign a role to each companion and the ability to switch between melee or ranged, perhaps.

Tank - MZ-12

DPS - Aven Geth and Salana Rok

Healer - Writch Hurley

Edited by ShadowNessej

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.