Wookiee as playable race

Arnuphis

Been asked for before I am sure but as a returning player, figured I would ask again.

For me the only thing missing is being able to play a Wookiee! Why not have an unlockable one for Cartel coins or whatever. Of course it would be restricted to Republic side and non-force sensitive class. Maybe have some nice alien equivalent for the Empire side.

I understand it would take some asset work but how about it, Bioware? I miss my wookiee from SWG!

Been asked for before I am sure but as a returning player, figured I would ask again.

For me the only thing missing is being able to play a Wookiee! Why not have an unlockable one for Cartel coins or whatever. Of course it would be restricted to Republic side and non-force sensitive class. Maybe have some nice alien equivalent for the Empire side.

I understand it would take some asset work but how about it, Bioware? I miss my wookiee from SWG!

They have said that races like Wookies, Jawas, and of course Yoda's mysteriously unnamed race will never I repeat NEVER be made playable.

They have said that races like Wookies, Jawas, and of course Yoda's mysteriously unnamed race will never I repeat NEVER be made playable.

More to the point, the character must speak Basic, and Wookies, Jawas. Rodians, and so forth, are unable to do that. In addition, the character frames must fit into the cutscenes - short races like the Yodas are automatically disqualified.

Cathar and togruta are either here or on the way, and obvious 'human' races like Zeltron would be simple enough - but at the end of the day, all races will basically be human re-skins, without exception.

More to the point, the character must speak Basic, and Wookies, Jawas. Rodians, and so forth, are unable to do that.

On that little bit of tangent, Jawas and Rodians are clearly able to speak Basic (in the case of Rodians, any race that can speak Huttese is clearly physically capable of speaking Basic and the Jawa language sounds like Basic/English gibberish), they just don't (for whatever reason).

On that little bit of tangent, Jawas and Rodians are clearly able to speak Basic (in the case of Rodians, any race that can speak Huttese is clearly physically capable of speaking Basic and the Jawa language sounds like Basic/English gibberish), they just don't (for whatever reason).

Jawa's are like the Germans. They can speak Basic(English) but choose to only speak their native language. :p

2 things:

1. Waah SWG. So wow much good best MMO. Why can't you be SWG?

2. Nautolans will likely be the last race added.

Jawa's are like the Germans. They can speak Basic(English) but choose to only speak their native language. :p

Normally we just choose to speak the language that allows us to be heard by those that we want to be heard by... in case of this forum... obviously english... in case of the german servers... obviously german :)

As for wookiee as playable race... simply not happening. Only intelligent and sentient species are allowed to become playable ones. Bioware mocked us enough with making the prey the master of the big hunt (BH story), but that doesn't mean that walking carpets can be playable. Everyone knows that wookiee are closer to wump rats than the human beings.

Also, allowing them to be a playable species, would also mean allowing them as force users... and even midichlorians got a bit leftover pride and refuse to bond with a wookiee (another wookiee... that irritation called Lowbacca is well known... but should be seen as just what it was... a great disturbance to the force which should never be allowed again).

You could be a Rodian in Jedi Academy and speak basic back in 2003 :p

...and that never actually occurred now.

I think that was the only instance where a Rodian spoke basic and Lucasarts has never officially endorsed it. Now it's "Legends" material at best, while SWTOR is continuing under the guidance of the Star Wars Story Group, who are creating the single continuity of the SW universe.

Who knows, maybe they will let Rodians speak basic. But the fact that one did in Jedi Academy is no longer suitable justification.

Normally we just choose to speak the language that allows us to be heard by those that we want to be heard by... in case of this forum... obviously english... in case of the german servers... obviously german :)

As for wookiee as playable race... simply not happening. Only intelligent and sentient species are allowed to become playable ones. Bioware mocked us enough with making the prey the master of the big hunt (BH story), but that doesn't mean that walking carpets can be playable. Everyone knows that wookiee are closer to wump rats than the human beings.

Also, allowing them to be a playable species, would also mean allowing them as force users... and even midichlorians got a bit leftover pride and refuse to bond with a wookiee (another wookiee... that irritation called Lowbacca is well known... but should be seen as just what it was... a great disturbance to the force which should never be allowed again).

Wow, way to be speciesist. Wookies are absolutely sentient, they can't speak Basic because of the way their vocal cords word biologically and not because of intelligence level.

From Wookiepedia:

"Wookiee

Biological classification

Designation: Sentient"

"The construction of their vocal apparatus, however, prevented the Wookiees from speaking Galactic Basic Standard, or any other language that involved a high degree of vocal nuance. Nevertheless, they were quick learners and could easily grasp the various foreign languages they encountered."

On that note:

More to the point, the character must speak Basic, and Wookies, Jawas. Rodians, and so forth, are unable to do that. In addition, the character frames must fit into the cutscenes - short races like the Yodas are automatically disqualified.

Cathar and togruta are either here or on the way, and obvious 'human' races like Zeltron would be simple enough - but at the end of the day, all races will basically be human re-skins, without exception.

Rodian

"Homeworld: Rodia

Language: Rodese, Basic, Huttese"

"Basic-speaking Rodians had a unique accent, due to their tendency to lisp, and their difficulty pronouncing certain syllables containing "r", "l" or "s" sounds."

From page on Jawaese (Jawa Language):

"Jawas could not pronounce Basic language or many other extended languages due to several vocal limitations of the species. They could, however, learn to understand most existing languages."

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

...and that never actually occurred now.

I think that was the only instance where a Rodian spoke basic and Lucasarts has never officially endorsed it. Now it's "Legends" material at best, while SWTOR is continuing under the guidance of the Star Wars Story Group, who are creating the single continuity of the SW universe.

Who knows, maybe they will let Rodians speak basic. But the fact that one did in Jedi Academy is no longer suitable justification.

The post he answered already had a example of canon version of rodian speaking basic, they had ithorians speak it aswell, even though with a cybernetic translator!

Edited by Varium

Very well. Path is all laid out, then. It'll look weird, but the precedent exists.

Cannon says that Greedo shot first, doesn't mean its right..just means someone took a blow to the head and we're stuck with it.

Cannon says that Greedo shot first, doesn't mean its right..just means someone took a blow to the head and we're stuck with it.

"If one half of the fans want me to paint my house white, and the other half red... then I'm going to paint it JarJar." -George 'Suck it Nerds' Lucas

Every time I see this thread rear its ugly head, I'm reminded of that scene from The Princess Bride when they're asking Westley to surrender, and he says, very forcefully, "Will not happen!"

I think I'll cut just those two seconds out of the movie and paste them here - maybe I can have a bot do it for me every time it sees the words "Wookiee" and "playable" in a thread title? I dunno, just bouncing around ideas here.

Edited by TheSeventhJedi

i would love this except for your restrictions... there have been Wookiee bounty hunters and jedi so no restrictions at all!!! let us play Wookiees!!!!! :D

I see zero reason we can't have a playable wookie...we already have Bowdaar recorded so they could just use his voice and make it a little longer and at text for the cutscenes. Everyone already seems to understand wookie's language without trouble anyway

I see zero reason we can't have a playable wookie...we already have Bowdaar recorded so they could just use his voice and make it a little longer and at text for the cutscenes. Everyone already seems to understand wookie's language without trouble anyway

ok to rehash..

1) speak basic (fail)

2) romance must make sense (fail)

3) must work for both factions and all classes (fails, sage with a transdoshian companion...anything empire related)...

4) work with existing armor (fails, would not be customizable, OR require extensive rework of everything).

so if fails all 4 reasonable checks..hence not going to happen...EVER!

ok to rehash..

1) speak basic (fail) [romance must make sense (fail) must work for both factions and all classes (fails, sage with a transdoshian companion...anything empire related[4) work with existing armor (fails, would not be customizable, or require extensive rework of everything). so if fails all 4 reasonable checks..hence not going to happen...ever!

1- subtitles with the wookie voice is already in game.

2- make them not avaiable...surely not hard to make someone not romanceable they already have it in game with jaesa (dark = y light = n)

3- ...if my memory serves correctly wookies didn't start hating all imperials until after the sacking of kashyyk after revenge of the sith (rise of darth vader by james luceno) ...i see no reason at this point that a wookie couldn't be a bounty hunters, smugglers or troopers...we already lock races out of certain classes anyway.[/b]

4- no armour just display weapons just like the companion.

2- make them not avaiable...surely not hard to make someone not romanceable they already have it in game with jaesa (dark = y light = n)

3- ...if my memory serves correctly wookies didn't start hating all imperials until after the sacking of kashyyk after revenge of the sith (rise of darth vader by james luceno) ...i see no reason at this point that a wookie couldn't be a bounty hunters, smugglers or troopers...we already lock races out of certain classes anyway.[/b]

you can try to justify it all you want. Those are the reason the devs have said no to anything that isn't easily dropped into existing cut scenes. meaning they are NEVER going to go back and update the old content to add in subtitles, or remove/add/change voice acting

An no, no races are locked from any class, only first time you play it.

With that argument, you could also allow mouse droids as playable race.

So you want to add something to the game, only to take something away from the game? Sounds reasonable.

We even have a wookiee-vermin as master of the great hunt in the BH story... which in my opinion is one of the biggest story mistakes in game. We do however not lock out any race from any class. Every species you unlock would be open for all classes... and Wookiee just cannot be force sensisitve for Lucas reasons.

Yeah, nice idea to sugesst that all the "visuals" which make up a big part of the cartel market are totally

useless to a species.... Sure sounds like the devs would like it :)

I still fail to see the mad obsession people have with wookiee.

The most iconic wookie (Chebacca) is famous for:

1. disassembling a ships main drive in the face of an attack

2. being unable to assemble a droids head facing forward instead of backwards even when totally at ease

3. as a woodlander falling for a primitive trap setup by a bunch of even more primitive woodlanders, who are using spears, bolas and bows... all without energy.

4. ripping other players arm off, when beaten in a fair game that is not won by brute force

Chewbacca is a sidekick and nothing more. Wookiee are companions and nothing more (and should be killable like in early beta).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.