How to treat new players

spoe

I'm at work so I can't describe the horribad experience in great detail but I'll sum it up.

I recently returned to the game after a long hiatus and I'm leveling up both a Healer (Smuggler ) and a tank (Guardian) which is my main. I was running Hammer Station with a friend that has only just now discovered the fun of MMORPG'S so I decided I was going to play my healer in the flashpoint, to avoid him being screamed at for standing in the fire etc like most news do. I figured if I'm healing I won't scream about it I'll just heal him and let him know he needs to move, etc in a more friendly manner.

Well lo and behold we're rolling through this dungeon and the Shadow is not tanking well at all. In fact, the random sage in our group is tanking every mob. Not because he's pulling before the tank but because the tank is so horribad. Finally after the sage literally tanked the first two bosses I finally asked the Tank if he was taunting and whatnot. He responds with, "What's a taunt?". I literally facepalmed IRL.

Anyway we all took a second to explain basic tanking mechanics to the wannabe tank and he ended up swapping to his tanking saber stance and actually began to use tanking abilities and we wound up completing the flashpoint with him actually tanking the bosses and it went relatively smoothly.

Sometimes it's worth taking a second to explain things before you assume they're one of those noobs that ignore advice and don't want to learn.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at work so I can't describe the horribad experience in great detail but I'll sum it up.

I recently returned to the game after a long hiatus and I'm leveling up both a Healer (Smuggler ) and a tank (Guardian) which is my main. I was running Hammer Station with a friend that has only just now discovered the fun of MMORPG'S so I decided I was going to play my healer in the flashpoint, to avoid him being screamed at for standing in the fire etc like most news do. I figured if I'm healing I won't scream about it I'll just heal him and let him know he needs to move, etc in a more friendly manner.

Well lo and behold we're rolling through this dungeon and the Shadow is not tanking well at all. In fact, the random sage in our group is tanking every mob. Not because he's pulling before the tank but because the tank is so horribad. Finally after the sage literally tanked the first two bosses I finally asked the Tank if he was taunting and whatnot. He responds with, "What's a taunt?". I literally facepalmed IRL.

Anyway we all took a second to explain basic tanking mechanics to the wannabe tank and he ended up swapping to his tanking saber stance and actually began to use tanking abilities and we wound up completing the flashpoint with him actually tanking the bosses and it went relatively smoothly.

Sometimes it's worth taking a second to explain things before you assume they're one of those noobs that ignore advice and don't want to learn.

I fully agree with your sentiment!

Try getting told to "**** off, noob" when offering advice about 50+ times, though, and your patience for teaching starts to suffer. You can even see some of them in this very thread...

I'd say the problem is that, in many cases, there is no "wrong" or "right", so all theese "I know how to play this game and tell those noobs how to do it" are, in fact, very often "wrong". So I think the best way to treat new players is loosing that arrogant "I know better because I am playing longer than you" behaviour in combination with this "only my playing style is the right one"-attitude.

If those wannabe elitist would accept that this game is not about "finding the optimal built" or "having the prefect rotation" or similar BS (or at least, for quite a lot of players these things are completely unimportant), and tolerate that people might intentionally do things in a different way, the atmosphere would be far less toxic.

I'd say you're wrong, and that the problem is that, in many cases, there is most certainly a "wrong" or "right."

If you come in a FP and start pulling before the tank, or you are only using the basic heal you were given, or you can't hold agro on a boss, or you complain that the Guard should go on the healer, or you're a Marauder in all Cunning gear then guess what? I'm going to try to educate you in how to play the game properly. Because it's no fun for me or the rest of the group to play with either an intentional or an unintentional bad. If the education sticks, then I have a new friend who will, in the future, have more fun playing the game in a group!

If the education doesn't stick, then they can go solo for all I care, because they aren't doing group content with me.

Edited by Fidelicatessen

I am one of those "L2P scrub" people and I will remain that way. When I tell a tank, you need to face the boss away from us, and he sits there jacking it to Miley Cyrus photos instead of moving at all, then I get angry and lash out. MMORPGS are not some new fad that just showed up, they have been around for 15+ years. Most tanking mechanics are the same throughout all games, hold agro on boss, keep others safe from it. 101 classwork right there, and people cannot even grasp that concept.

So yeah, don't join a FP with me if you have no idea how to play your class, I will rant and cuss you out so you rage quit. IDGAF

I don't know how many times I've been kicked from group because I don't know to tank Braxx the Bloodhound: I usually let dps deal with dogs. I always thought it was right way to do it but some HM veterans say otherwise.

Edited by Halinalle

I don't know how many times I've been kicked from group because I don't know to tank Braxx the Bloodhound: I usually let dps deal with dogs. I always thought it was right way to do it but some HM veterans say otherwise.

Let DPS deal with dogs, tank Brax on the other side of the room, Taunt every time he stuns you.

Anyone who says different hasn't wiped on this fight multiple times trying it their way.

As a recently subscribed player (yesterday) I played my commando to 60 mostly as a preferred player (with buying the Revan expansion only to become that).

Luckily I had some very old connections lying around from my WoW days (years ago) and ended up with a gaming community that was very helpfull, but still did most things on my own and with pug's and even my experience on the attitude of players varies alot.

I used to play an Elemental Shaman (ranged dps with healing abilities) and so a Commando seemed pretty straight forward to learn this game. And I must say that I grasped the game pretty quickly as a new player to SWTOR.

Using my DCDs, CC ability, off healing when needed etc.

But I did learn an important thing in my WOW days, there are 2 types of new players:

1) Noobs, new and so horridly stubborn they aren't willing or just can't learn how to play and are mostly shouting it out that they know it all already.

2) Newbies, new and knowing they are and willing to take in advice and getting better from it.

Now these 2 stances even persist into your gaming adulthood. Making it to level cap doesn't make you a top player, nor does it when your guild has made most of the OPs content. It's an attitude thing. If you keep the attitude described with Newbie then you're a strong person that will be helpfull and is still trying to get better in the game even if it's just tweaking the last remnants and details.

My advice: stay a newbie, don't ever become a noob

1) Noobs, new and so horridly stubborn they aren't willing or just can't learn how to play and are mostly shouting it out that they know it all already.

2) Newbies, new and knowing they are and willing to take in advice and getting better from it.

Too often players are the first example and assume they know best ... I recall joining a group for Directive 7 with a Jugg tank wearing a mix of light and medium armour (because he liked the look) and the only correct stats were in his lightsaber (which had the original crystal). Being a nice person I whispered him and suggested he might look online to find the appropriate stats needed for his class ... his response ''WTH do you know your toon looks like a ******'' (my char was likened to a 'lady of the night' because I chose to dress her in the slave outfit ... but at least I had the correct mods for my class).

Needless to say, the tank failed to hold aggro or do anythng to help the group and he soon became bored and quit, leaving us without a tank. Rather than requeue, we continued using my Khem as tank and completed the fp.

This players response was like so many ... if he had responded with a polite answer we might have taken things much slower through the fp.

I'd say the problem is that, in many cases, there is no "wrong" or "right", so all theese "I know how to play this game and tell those noobs how to do it" are, in fact, very often "wrong". So I think the best way to treat new players is loosing that arrogant "I know better because I am playing longer than you" behaviour in combination with this "only my playing style is the right one"-attitude.

If those wannabe elitist would accept that this game is not about "finding the optimal built" or "having the prefect rotation" or similar BS (or at least, for quite a lot of players these things are completely unimportant), and tolerate that people might intentionally do things in a different way, the atmosphere would be far less toxic.

Wnoooooooo there nelly

you think learning rotation is elitist????

Sorry but YOU should learn YOUR rotation while leveling up

It doesnt have to be perfect but you should have enough common sense of your own class and build that you now how to optimize your damage (as a DPS as thats most important style for knowing rotation).

Sorry you think common sense is elitism but I suspect you been on the losing end of more then a few arguments in game.

Demanding DPS parse a minimum of 3k at all times for a simple hardmode is elitism

Demanding someone know their rotation is NOT

Just like kicking someone in level 15 gear (when they queued for a 55 tactical) is NOT elitism. People should have enough respect for themselves and others that they at least get green 55 gear before they group find.

Its pretty clear by your response you think anyone asking the most basic standards of you, is being an elitist

YOU ARE WRONG.

Dead WRONG

When you are queued up as a healer but in ion cell (Commando) YOU ARE WRONG

When you queue up as a tank but in DPS stance with DPS gear, YOU ARE WRONG

When you dont know what a interrupt is, YOU ARE WRONG

When you not doing enough DPS (and unwilling to hear suggestions to improve your DPS) and we hit enrage timers, YOU ARE WRONG

There IS MOST DEFINITELY A wrong and right way for most every issue found and claiming there is not makes you THE PROBLEM, not the victim.

Personally speaking I'm very accommodating to new players if they show me enough respect and tell me they new (and they got acceptable gear for level on). Ill walk them through every fight before hand, tell them their responsibilities, suggest how to help them with their role.

Heck one time I even stopped a vote kick from a impatient DPS over a new tank in group.

But if you stay quiet, don't let people know you new, don't accept suggestions and help, think your WRONG WAY is better, well then you BETTER BE as good as you seem to think you are because nothing else is acceptable or tolerated. And that's NOT Elitism, that's just being fed up with players who don't understand flash points and ops are group functions and everyone needs to work as a functioning unit.

When you are queued up as a healer but in ion cell (Commando) YOU ARE WRONG or you are forgetfull from doing some content solo.

When you queue up as a tank but in DPS stance with DPS gear, YOU ARE WRONG or you are forgetfull from doing some content solo (unless you are also dps specced and not able to field respec)

When you dont know what a interrupt is, YOU ARE WRONG or are just new to MMO in general

When you not doing enough DPS (and unwilling to hear suggestions to improve your DPS) and we hit enrage timers, YOU ARE WRONG, actually only here due to your added text between the ( ) you are right..

See my comments in blue..

Seems that you your self have some issues on this matter even though you try to be helpfull, and I know there are people trying to suck the blood from under your fingernails, but even to some of those aspects there could be a silly reason that is totally reasonable..

Hell I dinged 50 and wanted to do a SM FP but totally oversighted the new section for all the HM FP's and thus forget to turn that section off.. and ended up in a HM with my mostly green 50's gear (and still not noticing my mistake while doing the instance as it's my first time in the FP I thought I que'ed for and not realizing my mistake until the group fell apart (tank / healing issue and not even my gear or experience). If I would have found out my mistake ealier I would have excused myself then and there.

Too often players are the first example and assume they know best ... I recall joining a group for Directive 7 with a Jugg tank wearing a mix of light and medium armour (because he liked the look) and the only correct stats were in his lightsaber (which had the original crystal). Being a nice person I whispered him and suggested he might look online to find the appropriate stats needed for his class ... his response ''WTH do you know your toon looks like a ******'' (my char was likened to a 'lady of the night' because I chose to dress her in the slave outfit ... but at least I had the correct mods for my class).

Needless to say, the tank failed to hold aggro or do anythng to help the group and he soon became bored and quit, leaving us without a tank. Rather than requeue, we continued using my Khem as tank and completed the fp.

This players response was like so many ... if he had responded with a polite answer we might have taken things much slower through the fp.

heh I remember a pug group way back when for Chasing the Shadow in Black Hole.

I remember saying in general "50 geared Healer looking for partner or group for CTS, I can solo this all the way to final boss" (which was true, just took forever and faster to get a group back then)

So a Vangard and Guardian joined me. They were in bad gear but that was knida to be expected back then.

Myself (sage healer), my companion Qyzen (in level 50 Rakata gear (thiink he was over 20k health back then which was huge for a companion, Rakata gear was highest in game at time) a Vangard and a Guardian entered CTS.

They instantly tell me to dismiss Qyzen so they could summon a DPS companion (it had like 10k hps so had to be in level 30ish gear at best).

So they summon and I wait for them to start fight

They leap in and every damn mob turns on me before I cast anything but bubble

And those mobs never turned off me (was obvious tank was not taunting at all)

Group wipes and I say, you gotta taunt and control the agro, ill regularly agro dump to make it easier for you but they cant be beating on me if im to heal you

No response at all given

2nd pull, exact same thing with same outcome

rez and only 2 mobs left off that first pull so I clear trash myself solo with Qyzen out

take elevator to 2nd floor and this time I make sure Qyzen out.

They start SCREAMING "Dismiss Qyzen, are you trolling us?????"

I pull next group with Qyzen and we kill it with no issues or deaths

But they are still screaming to get rid of Qyzen

Finally I just dropped and put up call in general for a partner or group for fast CTS run

They are yelling for no one to group with me and Im just trying to kill players

50 guardian joins me

I tell him what happened and why they screaming over general to put his mind at ease

we clear out CTS the two of us, no deaths, no near deaths, nice clean fast run

when we leave CTS those 2 previous idiots were still outside trying to get a new group

It was obvious by their gear and lack of understanding of their class they were newbies

and I tried to play with them but also not willing to eat deaths simply for their learning sake

I made suggestions, they ignored, I dropped

Its all nice to say treat newbies well but they have to be willing to be taught when they make mistakes.

If they wanna do it through trial and error and learn on their wn then they need to get a group of friends who are willing to eat numerous deaths while they try to figure it out on their own.

Its funny, we see the stories and read that posts about how newbs wanna do it their own way and there is no right and wrong

Yet I been here since closed beta (took 15 months off though), done progression raiding and all that. And yet last week I LEARNED some new strategies for HM Flash points I hadn't thought of or seen before

Makes me wonder why I can accept learning new concepts and ideas from more experienced players in that situation

yet others (in this thread) cant?

Anyways that was my Newb group from hell story from year 1 of this game

See my comments in blue..

Seems that you your self have some issues on this matter even though you try to be helpfull, and I know there are people trying to suck the blood from under your fingernails, but even to some of those aspects there could be a silly reason that is totally reasonable..

Hell I dinged 50 and wanted to do a SM FP but totally oversighted the new section for all the HM FP's and thus forget to turn that section off.. and ended up in a HM with my mostly green 50's gear (and still not noticing my mistake while doing the instance as it's my first time in the FP I thought I que'ed for and not realizing my mistake until the group fell apart (tank / healing issue and not even my gear or experience). If I would have found out my mistake ealier I would have excused myself then and there.

ill answer your blue

no!

No issues on my side, I been helping people for 2+ decades in this genre

You seem to think with your blue comments people need to coddle strangers

Sorry if you want coddleing talk to your mother

if you want to play a video game in gf, take some responsibility on your own

if your not ready to do that

dont enter Group Finder

To many modern era players seem to be under this mass dellussion that strangers online need to baby sit you

Thats not the other players jobs, responsibilities, duties

sorry but your blue responses make me think you want to be treated like a 10 year old

sorry I dont game with 10 year olds

EVERY Blue response is YOUR responsibility, not mine, not theirs, not anyone else, YOURS and YOURS alone

While it is a nice thought to want to help others, and see them succeed, in today's gaming society, it is sadly a bit naive. Most players just want to play. They are not looking to min/max, or have BiS gear, or know the perfect rotation, or do 30 minutes of videos just to learn a fight. It's a game. They want to log in, play, and log out. If they succeed, great. If they don't, they are not bothered.

The problem is too many career gamers are expecting too much from casual players. The expectation should not be "teach them to fish...", it should be "he's just gonna fish how he wants to fish". Unfortunately for the career gamer, it means constantly being grouped with players who have little clue, and no desire. I'm ok with that since I am a casual. What they need are two modes for instances: Beginner (for casuals requires no skill and offers sub-par gear) and Expert (for the more experienced min/max who wants the challenge and offers on par, or above par gear).

In WoW, it would be the difference between LFR level and Heroic 25M level. This would give the casuals a way to just log in and play without the experts constantly lording over them and expecting more from them than they expect to give.

I used to help new players. I loved to help new players. In past MMOs, I would devote one night each week to doing nothing but helping new players (e.g., in FFXI, sending my Ranger to the Dunes to help kill skeletons for the new guys). In most MMOs, I've crafted quality low-level gear/food/whatever and handed them out to random new guys. My LOTRO Kinship (i.e., me) would sponsor "Cosmetics Faires" at which veteran players would gather and lend cosmetic outfits to the new guys (most of us carrying stacks of dyes for them to use as well) so they weren't all running around looking so ... noobish. And in every MMO, I served as a font of experience and knowledge that I willingly shared when asked.

Something about SWTOR killed my generous spirit. It became too onerous a task to try to educate players who, in their first few hours of the game, already knew better than I did. I found my advice--usually on simple things, not advanced tactics or gear--not only disregarded, but outright shunned. Apparently, I was the noob for wanting to take 20 seconds to explain how to CC in a group and why no one should attack the mob I mark with the Gold Star.

I occasionally stumble upon a willing ear. I've had lengthy post-Esseles convos with new players in which (I hope) I made their path a little clearer ... a little easier. But these days, it's just as easy to stomach the new guy and add him to the Ignore list after the FP.

Me to, well stated Thoromir

But I dont think its SW:TOR so much as modern era players

Seems be it grouping, leveling, raiding, dungeons/flash points, everything

modern era players want it spoon fed to them

want their hands held

Was a different thread about the Yavin 4 Revan fight.

I did a detailed post about how its possible to actually not do a dang thing in the fight and the NPCs will do all the fighting for you and win. All you need to do is watch and run globes 2 times.

You would be shocked how many posters quoted that post of mine and followed up (and they being serious) how that is the content they are looking for and its their favorite fight in game and how they feel rewarded from it.

I honestly couldnt believe what I was reading because the fight has literally zero chance of failure and zero (on a scale of 0-1000000000) on the difficulty scale.

But there they were happy, cheering the fight, talking about how EA needs to make more content like that (and again they were being dead serious).

I think the problem is not SW:TOR

The problem is the new era of players want it handed to them

I just had some guy reply to me saying I need to expect players dont know the difference between group and solo content (even made the reply in special blue color)

All his responses in blue amounted to approaching GF players as children that needed to be coddled.

I'm sorry but I'm not their babysitter or parent

As I said, like yourself I been helping players in MMORPGs for over 2 decades with out a care in the world from me.

But these modern players just seem to take the neediness to far.

To much gimme gimme gimme and not enough give back

Now a days I all but have stopped helping anyone but guildies and friends

Long gone are the days of me standing in a newb zone buffing players and doing other acts of kindness because honestly its just not appreciated anymore, except by a rare few

anyways, im done with topic, but I agree its just not the same anymore as it once was in this genre

A simple "Thank You" seems like huge rare thing now

Me to, well stated Thoromir

But I dont think its SW:TOR so much as modern era players

Seems be it grouping, leveling, raiding, dungeons/flash points, everything

modern era players want it spoon fed to them

want their hands held

Was a different thread about the Yavin 4 Revan fight.

I did a detailed post about how its possible to actually not do a dang thing in the fight and the NPCs will do all the fighting for you and win. All you need to do is watch and run globes 2 times.

You would be shocked how many posters quoted that post of mine and followed up (and they being serious) how that is the content they are looking for and its their favorite fight in game and how they feel rewarded from it.

I honestly couldnt believe what I was reading because the fight has literally zero chance of failure and zero (on a scale of 0-1000000000) on the difficulty scale.

But there they were happy, cheering the fight, talking about how EA needs to make more content like that (and again they were being dead serious).

I think the problem is not SW:TOR

The problem is the new era of players want it handed to them

I just had some guy reply to me saying I need to expect players dont know the difference between group and solo content (even made the reply in special blue color)

All his responses in blue amounted to approaching GF players as children that needed to be coddled.

I'm sorry but I'm not their babysitter or parent

As I said, like yourself I been helping players in MMORPGs for over 2 decades with out a care in the world from me.

But these modern players just seem to take the neediness to far.

To much gimme gimme gimme and not enough give back

Now a days I all but have stopped helping anyone but guildies and friends

Long gone are the days of me standing in a newb zone buffing players and doing other acts of kindness because honestly its just not appreciated anymore, except by a rare few

anyways, im done with topic, but I agree its just not the same anymore as it once was in this genre

A simple "Thank You" seems like huge rare thing now

You don't have to pretend that I'm not here or something..as I made the response to you. And the blue texts where just for me for easier commenting on your points, but won't do it agin here for you.

I also never stated that you need to expect that players don't know the difference between solo and group content, they actually might know it, but just forgot because it was late or where grabbing a drink in the mean time of a loading screen.

And my response wasn't meant to be amounting to handholding players, but giving a mere reminder might already do the trick.. if not then I certainly am not the one asking you or anyone else to start babysitting.

If people ask and don't understand some mechanics then I'm willing to explain, if they ignore me on the reminder then fine.. meet the ignore list soon if not imediatly.

While it is a nice thought to want to help others, and see them succeed, in today's gaming society, it is sadly a bit naive. Most players just want to play. They are not looking to min/max, or have BiS gear, or know the perfect rotation, or do 30 minutes of videos just to learn a fight. It's a game. They want to log in, play, and log out. If they succeed, great. If they don't, they are not bothered.

The problem is too many career gamers are expecting too much from casual players. The expectation should not be "teach them to fish...", it should be "he's just gonna fish how he wants to fish". Unfortunately for the career gamer, it means constantly being grouped with players who have little clue, and no desire. I'm ok with that since I am a casual. What they need are two modes for instances: Beginner (for casuals requires no skill and offers sub-par gear) and Expert (for the more experienced min/max who wants the challenge and offers on par, or above par gear).

In WoW, it would be the difference between LFR level and Heroic 25M level. This would give the casuals a way to just log in and play without the experts constantly lording over them and expecting more from them than they expect to give.

And that's exactly why for example MOBAs don't get many new players and are mainly played by angry veterans.

Players who only want perfection. They don't have time to tell tips to new players because every second they use for something else other than beating the other team is wasted second.

Edited by Halinalle

What they need are two modes for instances: Beginner (for casuals requires no skill and offers sub-par gear) and Expert (for the more experienced min/max who wants the challenge and offers on par, or above par gear).

They have that already. It's called KDY. It teaches you nothing about how to play your class or role and asks for nothing in return.

The problem is, people who have run KDY a hundred times leveling up their first toon *think all the group content in the game is that way*. Many of them have never learned how to play their role, how to avoid mechanics or how to do their rotations/keep folks healed up/hold agro. And then they complain (LOUDLY) about how hard the game is and that it needs to be nerfed.

All it takes is a bit of reading tooltips and thinking about how abilities synergize together. I'm serious--less than 30 minutes of actual reading and thinking and your play will improve. But many folks (I hate calling them casuals, because I consider myself a casual) consider that too much work and have no interest in getting good at something they enjoy doing (too much work!). So instead they suck, badly, and will argue about how they have a right to play any way they want to.

They do! Solo.

They have that already. It's called KDY. It teaches you nothing about how to play your class or role and asks for nothing in return.

The problem is, people who have run KDY a hundred times leveling up their first toon *think all the group content in the game is that way*. Many of them have never learned how to play their role, how to avoid mechanics or how to do their rotations/keep folks healed up/hold agro. And then they complain (LOUDLY) about how hard the game is and that it needs to be nerfed.

All it takes is a bit of reading tooltips and thinking about how abilities synergize together. I'm serious--less than 30 minutes of actual reading and thinking and your play will improve. But many folks (I hate calling them casuals, because I consider myself a casual) consider that too much work and have no interest in getting good at something they enjoy doing (too much work!). So instead they suck, badly, and will argue about how they have a right to play any way they want to.

They do! Solo.

I would argue that Kuat Drive Yards (KDY) is much better than someone questing solo all their levels. You DO learn mechanics, tanking, healing, and synergy in KDY. Every KDY has a random final boss that specifically goes over this and every KDY has a lot of trash to clear, as a group. Often times, when stuck with only DPS, you really have to learn how to synergize with non-optimal group makeup.

You can learn a lot more in a KDY than you can doing class quests, planet missions, and soloing through all the levels. All you've got when you are solo is a companion.

Edited by undies

My favorite are those who when I ask do you have any questions before pull don't then proceed to do the opposite of what was called for and kill the raid. They don't say anything until kicked and whisper its just a game. Yes it's a game and you are wasting my fun time. :)

Hello, all.

I am writing to remind everyone to be helpful instead of harmful when new players are doing bad things in flashpoints. We were all n00bs once; a bit of guidance could save a sub (after all, we want people playing and paying---or we won't have a Star Wars home at all).

Recently I was in a flashpoint with a brand new tank. Naturally, he was failing miserably (which causes pretty heavy frustration for everyone). The others in the group were relentless. I sent a whisper that told him not to worry about them but that we could have a conversation afterwards about it. I pointed him to dulfy.com to read the tanking guide for his class (guardian). He thanked me and assured me he would check it out.

He might suck forever as a tank, but at least he now has one tool he can use to get better instead of an ear full of childishness. The noob who does his or her homework today becomes a main ops tank tomorrow.

TL;DR: don't be mean to new players. Instead, offer them guidance so that they may (1) keep playing the game and (2) become better players. Both of these help out all of us, for without players, the game is doomed to fail. I would like to see it continue.

Thanks!

You can also point new players to the following guide. I wrote it for the forums a long time ago:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=97702

before i ever stepped foot in hardmodes or operations, i did research on the fights and learned the mechanics.

it's called being considerate. if someone is SO NEW that they are harming the group, then they should step aside and do research offline.

Geezus...some of you are ridiculous. You seem to be forgetting that this is a GAME. Be more appreciative of the people who you group with because they are a part of your shrinking community...don't be the reason people give up on this game.

it's called being considerate. if someone is SO NEW that they are harming the group, then they should step aside and do research offline.

When I'm in BH doing dailies and level 50 wants a group for heroic. I gladly carry this person through the heroic. Yes, it maybe slows me down because I have to use healer companion to keep level 50 alive. I don't even care if it's his/her first character or 22nd.

Why? Because it's more fun that way.

Edited by Halinalle

respect goes both ways tho. being considerate and putting in the effort to contribute in group content is important.

people arent entitled to be carried. but at the same time, people should be willing to teach AND willing to listen and learn.

in many cases, people take advice negatively. i have no problem teaching a new player but there's a limit too. sometimes they are just unable to play at all. sometimes they are unwilling to listen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.